Royals Living In The U.S.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRHAmy

Courtier
Hello,

I was just wondering how many royals are living in the U.S or have lived in the U.S at one point in their lives. I read the article that Madeliene of Sweden is moving to New York City so I was wondering how many royals have lived or still live in the U.S?? *Post pictures if you have them too please*:D

Any pictures posted should not be directly attached to the forum, and should be properly credited.

i know that the exiled crown prince of yugoslavia and his family lived here for some time. they lived in virginia and illinois i believe. all of his sons were born in the u.s. but they have recently moved back to belgrade, capital of serbia which used to be the capital of yugoslavia.

Infanta Cristina went to New York University for her master's degree in International Relations, Prince Felipe did the same but in Georgetown University in Washington and Infanta Elena & Family lived for a while in New York to be able to take advanced medical rehab for Jaime's stroke

I'll keep on searching for pictures of Cristina and Felipe in the States, but I haven't seen a single one

Last edited by a moderator:
What an intriguing topic for a thread, love it! If anything because it is, to me, so interesting that so many royals are partial to the US, a nation that's not necessarily partial to the concept of monarchy!

For starters, like most Dutch folk I know that Princess Christina, Queen Beatrix's youngest sister, spent much of her marriage to Jorge Guillermo living in an apartment on New York's Fifth Avenue. Gossip magazines implied that she chose to live far away from her home country to curb exposure of her husband's sometimes aloof behavior, but I haven 't the faintest whether there's even a grain of truth to this. The Guillermo family moved to the Netherlands some time in the eighties anyways, and built De Horsten (where Alexander and Maxima currently live) after which Christina called the whole deal a day around 1990 or so.

Speaking of Maxima, she famously lived in New York city also, in the mid to late nineties, and left the city in 2000, when it became clear that Alexander considered her a 'keeper'. I believe she had an apartment in Chelsea, a neighborhood on the island of Manhattan.

Maxima's current sister in law, Laurentien, lived in the US also, as did Johan Friso and Constantijn at some point. They lived in Northern California's Berkeley, the famous university town near San Francisco. Friso and Laurentien both persued studies there, at the University of California at Berkeley, which is one of the most renowned universities on the planet. This famous liberal-minded, state-owned (as in, by the state of California) university has been the alma mater to a raft of other royals, for example to Norway's future king Haakon. It is said that Constantijn and Laurentien love the San Francisco Bay area so much that they spent much of their honeymoon there.

To go back to New York for a moment, that city of course was once home to one of the princes of Liechtenstein, and also to Marie Chantal of Greece and hubby Pavlos, who, like cousin Felipe, once studied at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.

And the former Shah of Iran's eldest son, Reza, currently calls the D.C. area home. He lives with his family 'across the river' from Washington, in Virginia, a spot where a lot of middle eastern royalty have homes, too. Case in point: Queen Noor of Jordan.

Speaking of studying in the US, Albert and Caroline of Monaco have spent time studying in America, but I'm not sure where. Anyone know?
And Stephanie lived in Los Angeles, California, for a while in the eighties.

And of course, Victoria of Sweden spent a few years in Connecticut, at Yale University.

Currently living in New York is one daughter of Princess Irene of Oranje, Maria Carolina, who is working for the United NAtions I believe. Any other current royal New Yorkers not mentioned? Or current blue-blooded Californians?

Last edited:
I know there is Princess Catherine Oxenberg, she is the daughter of Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia, she lives in Los Angeles with her actor husband Casper Van Dien and their children. They used to have a show called "I married a Princess" on the TV channel Lifetime.

Here are some pics of her:
1. Is a headshot from a website called carfaxabbey

2. This is one of her and her baby from family photo forever

3. I couldn't find a tiara photo of her except on this fansite so here is the link if you want to look at it. It looks like a scroll tiara of some sort. http://www.catherineoxenberg.de/

Last edited by a moderator:
Commoner

Is Catherine Oxenberg, a real princess? I thought her father was an American businessman.

DMR412 said:
Is Catherine Oxenberg, a real princess? I thought her father was an American businessman.

yes, she is the real deal. her mother is a princess of Yugoslavia, and a cousin of prince charles of England. Not quite sure which side of Charles's parents this relates to: perhaps Prince Phillip?

Also, I'm not quite sure how many kids Catherine currently has: I believe two. her first was a daughter, named India I believe, with an unknown father..

princess olga said:
Speaking of studying in the US, Albert and Caroline of Monaco have spent time studying in America, but I'm not sure where. Anyone know?

Prince Albert is a graduate of Amherst College in Amherst, MA and Caroline was set to go to Princeton but decided on the Sorbonne instead.

pinklady1991 said:
Prince Albert is a graduate of Amherst College in Amherst, MA and Caroline was set to go to Princeton but decided on the Sorbonne instead.
Thanks, Pinklady1991! Although I <swear> I read once in an old interview with caroline that she once studied Stateside (might have been just one semester or sth! maybe some exchange thing thru the Sorbonne?)

princess olga said:
yes, she is the real deal. her mother is a princess of Yugoslavia, and a cousin of prince charles of England. Not quite sure which side of Charles's parents this relates to: perhaps Prince Phillip?

Also, I'm not quite sure how many kids Catherine currently has: I believe two. her first was a daughter, named India I believe, with an unknown father..
Catherine has 3 daughters & 2 stepkids (a boy and a girl). India with the unknown father & then the 2 daughters with Casper Van Dien. The daughters names are Maya & Celeste. Her stepkids names are: Cappy Van Dien & Grace Van Dien
Catherine Oxenberg - This is her imdb.com profile
Her website
I watched her reality show when it was on Lifetime.

Is Casper Van Dien the hot guy who played Chandler in the tv show Titans?
Blonde, blueyed and great body?

I read a newspaper article a few years back about a princess living in San Francisco and co-owning a restaurant or bar or something, but I can't for the life of me find any details now.

Elspeth said:
I read a newspaper article a few years back about a princess living in San Francisco and co-owning a restaurant or bar or something, but I can't for the life of me find any details now.

Are you thinking of Ragnhild Lorentzen? Daughter of Princess Ragnhild, Mrs. Lorentzen (sister of King Harald of Norway).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnhild_Lorentzen

crisiñaki said:
Is Casper Van Dien the hot guy who played Chandler in the tv show Titans?
Blonde, blueyed and great body?
Yes, yes, yes & YES :D:D
His imdb.com profile here

DMR412 said:

Catherine Oxenberg is not a princess. She is the daughter of an untitled American businessman named Howard Oxenberg. Catherine is the daughter of a princess, so she is of royal descent, but not a princess.

The American media erroneously refers to Catherine as a princess, and she successfully capitalizes on the misinformation, so I'm not surprised that she doesn't put an effort into setting the matter straight.

I'm surprised that so many people believe that Catherine is a princess! Take, for example, Princess Martha Louise of Norway. Martha Louise married a commoner named Ari Behn, so their daughters, Maud Angelica and Leah Isadora, are not princesses, either.

I think the daughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent attends or attended Brown University in Rhode Island. There was a story of a scene she made in a restaurant in New York in the papers a year or two ago, and in the news article it mentioned that she was in the U.S. visiting her daughter at Brown.

I believe Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden spent a year at a boarding school in Conneticut

Sidenote: I think it is very ironic that so many royals have either lived or attend university in the US. IMO Europe is so much more glamous and full of culture then North America. But I guess many Europeans, including royals, find the US interesting

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
Are you thinking of Ragnhild Lorentzen? Daughter of Princess Ragnhild, Mrs. Lorentzen (sister of King Harald of Norway).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnhild_Lorentzen

Possibly; the "hospitality industry" could be just about anything, but it does sound familiar, and I sort of remember the photo was of a tall blonde lady, which is consistent with being Norwegian. Thanks for digging that up!

theprincess said:
Sidenote: I think it is very ironic that so many royals have either lived or attend university in the US. IMO Europe is so much more glamous and full of culture then North America. But I guess many Europeans, including royals, find the US interesting

Maybe it's because in the U.S they can actually, maybe be a little annonymous, I see nothing wrong with the U.S as I live in it and there is a lot of culture here, that's why they call it the melting pot of the world. Theprincess have you ever visited the United States?

Last edited:
Archduchess Michaela Habsburg and her children: Marc Joan, Carla, Justin lives in Florida.

From 1998 to 2001 Victoria lived in the US and studied at Yale university. She lived in Stamford at the home of a friend of the royal family and she had her best friend Caroline Svedin staying with her almost the whole time.

But she also spent a lot of time in New York city where her boyfriend at that time, Daniel Collert, lived.

Because of her illness, she was mostly left alone but there was a few photos of her and she also met journalists in may 1999 and gave some interviews.

Midsummer 2000 wascelebrated in Battery park. Victoria with former swedish prime minister Carl Bildt /photo: IBL

Victoria and swedish minister Anna Lindh at UN. photo from IBL

Victoria with her ex boyfriend Daniel Collert in New York 1998. Photo scanned from Se & hör
Victoria and reporter Rickard Sjöberg infront of WTC in New York, 1999. Photo from Expressen

http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vicricny8qv.jpg
Victoria at Yale university in may 1999. Photo from olycom

Last edited:
Over-promoted

hilal said:
Michaela and her son Marc
Archduchess Michaela... with son Archduke Marc...
Her son isn't a Habsburg Archduke because his father is a Spanish noble (Duke Eric Alba-Teran d'Antin). Seegerpress has the caption wrong.

royaltywatcher said:
I think the daughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent attends or attended Brown University in Rhode Island. There was a story of a scene she made in a restaurant in New York in the papers a year or two ago, and in the news article it mentioned that she was in the U.S. visiting her daughter at Brown.

Yeah Lady Gabriella graduated in 2004 (I think that was the year) & Princess Michael made those comments either right before or right after her daughter's graduation.

Elspeth said:
Possibly; the "hospitality industry" could be just about anything, but it does sound familiar, and I sort of remember the photo was of a tall blonde lady, which is consistent with being Norwegian. Thanks for digging that up!

According to this article (they link to it in the Wikipedia article): http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,2763,722899,00.html
Ragnhild owns two "tapas restaurants" in San Francisco

Princess Noor of Jordan studied in Emerson College
Prince Hamzah of Jordan was a student at Harvard
Prince Hashem of Jordan was a student at duke and the switched to georgetown
Princess Raiyyah and Iman of Jordan also studied in the US
so did King Abdallah
and I believe also Prince Faisal
Queen Noor, before she became a queen lived primarily in the US and she has a home here...she's often still to be found in the US
Some Suadi Royals also acquired their education in the US

I believe that Prince Nikolaos lived in New York City in the mid 90s- I recall reading an article that described his internship at Fox television. Soon after the internship was completed, his former co-workers were shocked to see him as the best man at Prince Pavlos and Marie-Chantal's wedding. Apparently, he had not let anyone know his background!

Eliza

Victoria of Sweden spent a year at Yale; Frederik of Denmark spent a year at Harvard; Philippe of Belgium spent time at Stanford; Felipe at Georgetown where he roomed with Pavlos of Greece;

Prince Moulay Hicham ,the cousin of King Mohammed VI of Morocco lives in the USA .The Prince was educated at Princeton and Stanford Universities.

Back
Top Bottom