Royals' Ex-Partners

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady Nimue, I think all his girlfriends will have massive restrictions. It is a matter of finding one that won't see them as such whilst wanting to be with him for the right reasons. As the others say...a HUGE challenge ahead for him on that front.

I agree. :flowers:

I don't think so; they never seemed right together somehow. I really suspect she used him to jumpstart her acting career.

That will be what will be said about anyone who hooks up with him. That's one accusation that can easily be made without any real evidence, yet will stick. I find it - how to say? facile? Or - cheap shot? ;) You have to admit, it's pretty derogatory without knowing the woman at all. Just saying.

It seems to have worked, so she looks happy.I doubt they'll get back together.

But what worked? Initially she wasn't so happy. Simply put, she's moved on. She did only what anyone can do: move on. Make lemonade. It appears she's back with her previous boyfriend. You make being happy seem an unfortunate condition. :sad: I do not mean this to sound sassy, but what should happen to anyone who decides to give Harry a whirl and then moves on? The nunnery? Oblivion? Is your expectation realistic?

Too funny, as my first thought was that it was a Cressida plant as her career seems to have not taken off. When are we going to see Cressida's 'bigness'?

You are impatient. ;) I also suspect, either fast or slow, she will never be a winner on her own in your view. Just a hunch.

What I meant was that she is too much her own person. She always was. She was unique. It was that uniqueness of both style and manner that was unsettling so many fans of Harry imo. That's the 'bigness' as you put it. Cressida could never have squished herself into the expected conservative royal wife role.

All I ever saw was just another pretty British blonde, but I'm no expert on who has/hasn't star potential. Indeed, I have no clue on how to spot who will be a successful actress and who won't (most movies bore me so I rarely watch them).

It is subjective. :flowers:

Partly based on Lady Nimue's past assurances that Cressida has 'it' - that uniqueness it takes to be a star I'm wondering how long do these things take?

The 'it' is pretty simple: one enjoys looking at her. That's the beginning. :flowers: That's the foot in the door (and that doesn't mean pretty necessarily, though Cressida is that. There has to be something more in the face, and with Cressida that 'something more' is there). I have seen her only in a limited way 'in motion', so cannot judge her 'in person' effect.

How long? So many conditions come into play. Knowing 'Hollywood' (a bit) I am sure Cressida has likely turned down some pretty squalid offers. That she is going slow (and selectively) bodes well, and says something about her imo. But we're only talking a few months. Not sure what yardstick you are using for your judgement.

Is one bit part in a movie in the last year the norm for an aspiring actress? I really expected to hear of at least another movie role by now, especially after the LA trip and the high praise by the director. She has done the play and is doing another, a bit of modeling, an Internet video - is this the normal trajectory for stardom?

There is no 'normal trajectory' for stardom. Again, so many factors go into a career. Talks go on endlessly. One 'signs' and then the project falls apart. But one can't realistically go into the byzantine turns that happen on a royalty thread. I think we have yet to see her in her 'moving picture' foray: "Tulip Fever" has yet to be released. Response to that initial foray will be telling, but it's not a make-or-break gig, either.

Last edited:
I am feeling like an apologist for Cressida. :p It's just a world close to my heart and experience that is being 'played with' so I feel a desire to respond. :cool:

It's not just having 'it' imo; it's at least partly luck.
Patrick Swayze once said that it was amazing the way just one movie could blow the lid off. Some actors just never get there, despite having talent.

Of course it's luck, but it's also persistence, dogged persistence. It's knowing what you want, and what you're willing to 'pay' for the prize.

Question is: we don't know what Cressida views as her goal, so we'll never be able to judge. Some opportunities came her way and she played the hand. She could easily move on. She could easily persist. But which way, and why which way, we'll never know, because she's not saying, unless one day she writes her memoir.

How much is really in our hands? An opportunity arises and we take it, finding ourselves down a path we never imagined. That's the way it can happen, as well as happen through sheer will to shape our future the way we insist it must be. I think Cressida is more in the former category.

She doesn't have ''It.''
Not in the way actresses like Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley, Alicia Vikander, Anna Kendrick etc. have it.

I'm not sure any of us have enough visual evidence to make those comparisons, but, again, it's subjective. You're entitled.

But not everyone strives to be the biggest star in Hollywood nor does everyone have to have ''It.'' Imo, only few actors and actresses have that particular aspect that sets them apart from the rest and makes them stars.

Exactly so. :flowers: I think what's puzzling me is the 'eagerness' to make Cressida out a failure before she has even done anything. She appears to wear a 'Scarlet Letter' writ large (HARRY) on her that will forever condemn her to ruin regardless what she does. :sad:

She has more than enough time to become 'a star'. She has tons to learn. She's 'only just' put her toe in the water. How many of us have a multitude of strangers watching our every twitch as we start our career? There are gigs I did very early in my (still brief) career that I am relieved are relegated to oblivion. Cressida is not going to have that luxury. I don't envy her.

I feel like she is the kind of actress that loves the stage more than she does cinema.

Moira Shearer comes to mind. There are others. It's exactly as you say. The fizz and gloss of a 'Hollywood' kind of 'celebrity' is not for everyone, nor for everyone is that the definition of 'success'. There are huge drawbacks to it. Cressida may be of deeper depths than we know.

Yes, I too think that Cressida enjoys the buzz of being on stage more than filming. When she was at uni she participated in a play at the Edinburgh Festival. She's come to acting professionally a little late (at 26) but she seems to be enjoying it. The reviews for the Lucien Freud play, though pointing to her inexperience, seem to be generally good.

You've hit on something. Filming a movie is not the most scintillating way to spend a day (if you're an actor, depending on the part). That's a fact. Especially if you're not the lead. There are ways to make it interesting, but let's keep a handle on the reality: she's done one film that has yet to be released. She's hardly begun.

Last edited:
?..

You are impatient. ;) I also suspect, either fast or slow, she will never be a winner on her own in your view. Just a hunch...

Your hunch would be wrong, I wouldn't use the word 'winner' to describe anyone, it's not how I view people, but if Cressida crafts a career in film/theater it will be through her own efforts I'm sure. I take full credit for my own lengthy career (in a very different field) and am inclined to assume that others who achieve success worked as hard for it as I did.

But what worked? Initially she wasn't so happy. Simply put, she's moved on. She did only what anyone can do: move on. Make lemonade. It appears she's back with her previous boyfriend. You make being happy seem an unfortunate condition. :sad: I do not mean this to sound sassy, but what should happen to anyone who decides to give Harry a whirl and then moves on? The nunnery? Oblivion? Is your expectation realistic?

When did I ever say that was my expectation?

I'm glad she is happy and doing well. However, I do believe that, if not for her relationship with Harry (which brought her a massive amount of publicity) she would not have received the opportunities she did. Harvey Weinstein wouldn't have come calling, Burberry wouldn't have signed her up, etc.

Even her current project had more reporters wondering whether Harry would show up at the play than considering her talent.

I'm just saying... :flowers:

I'm glad she is happy and doing well. However, I do believe that, if not for her relationship with Harry (which brought her a massive amount of publicity) she would not have received the opportunities she did. Harvey Weinstein wouldn't have come calling, Burberry wouldn't have signed her up, etc.

Even her current project had more reporters wondering whether Harry would show up at the play than considering her talent.

I'm just saying... :flowers:

I do believe Cressida benefited very well from the publicity she received when she briefly dated Harry or hung out with him. I really don't that's a bad thing or that Harry is bothered by it though. The royals are known to help their loyal group of friends with the spotlight. They all scratch each others backs.

Thank you, AfricanAussie. :flowers: A very good article for her. She's making friends. That's half of it. She's impressing people. This is high praise: "Miss Bonas's voice is not a strong point, being a little monotonous, yet she has a more varied delivery than, for instance, the robotic, over-garlanded Keira Knightley." However, I would slightly disagree. Keira has crispness and oozes self-confidence. Cressida still is learning, the self confidence doesn't pop at you on the screen. While sufficiently well-spoken, there is a bit more polish needed. I recall her brother once explaining her as delicate and 'very young'. You can see that in the video. She's 'very young', for a 26 year old.

They are also correct regarding her CV. She has the background one would expect of someone serious about a career in acting.

Fact is, anyone who connects up with Harry will have consequences to that connecting up. I think the (apparent) expectation that Cressida (or anyone) should not deal with the consequences when they come (good or bad) is an unrealistic expectation. That's what I was saying.

I'm not sure why the consequences are a 'however'. :ermm: I just don't get the seeming negative being attached to the fact that she would be an object of interest due to her (intimate) connection to Harry.

Even her current project had more reporters wondering whether Harry would show up at the play than considering her talent. I'm just saying... :flowers:

But what does this signify to you? This is not anything she can control. It is what it is.

I do believe Cressida benefited very well from the publicity she received when she briefly dated Harry or hung out with him. I really don't that's a bad thing or that Harry is bothered by it though. The royals are known to help their loyal group of friends with the spotlight. They all scratch each others backs.

I don't consider two years as someone's girlfriend as 'brief'. We may have different standards for 'brief', I guess. :ermm:

I just don't get it. This young woman made the mistake (it looks like) of allowing herself to be seen as Harry's girl. Forever it will be that she 'benefited' from that, and so possibly 'connived' it all. :sad: Jimmies, what cynics.

Some short while back I suggested that Harry likely chased Cressida (because she did have a boyfriend). In my experience men chase the girls they want. I would assume Harry does the same. Yet this suggestion was not greeted with acceptance here. It was an eye-opener for me. I saw that there are roles being played out. Harry's role is to be the sweet innocent being chased by all the conniving girls (backed by evil mothers, no doubt) intent upon furthering their careers. The girl's role (or young woman's role) is to be the chaser, landing Harry with her wiles, manipulating him into complicity with their selfish desires. It's beyond belief imo. :ermm: Go figure.

Anyway, Cressida, keep on keepin' on. Don't look back. :flowers:

Your hunch would be wrong, I wouldn't use the word 'winner' to describe anyone, it's not how I view people, but if Cressida crafts a career in film/theater it will be through her own efforts I'm sure. I take full credit for my own lengthy career (in a very different field) and am inclined to assume that others who achieve success worked as hard for it as I did.

I do view people's accomplishments as winning and losing (sometimes). I was not referring to her intrinsic worth as a human being.

What my comment was referencing was your comment: "Too funny, as my first thought was that it was a Cressida plant as her career seems to have not taken off. When are we going to see Cressida's 'bigness'?" You were denigrating what appears to you as a lack of 'speed' in her career 'taking off'. I think I read your comment correctly and addressed it accordingly.

What I also said was that it seems to me that some are placing an inordinate amount of weight on Cressida's royal connection getting her some place. It seemed like some were saying that if she wins anything, be it a film role or a stage role, it will be not on her merits, but on the 'merits' of her royal connection.

I can see from the above that you believe that if she achieves anything it will indeed be because of her hard work. That's good. No one, Weinstein included, will risk a multi-million dollar producution on someone with 'connections', who is not good at what he requires. The game is bigger than that.

And with that I bow out. :flowers:

Last edited:
Thank you, AfricanAussie. :flowers: A very good article for her. She's making friends. That's half of it. She's impressing people. This is high praise: "Miss Bonas's voice is not a strong point, being a little monotonous, yet she has a more varied delivery than, for instance, the robotic, over-garlanded Keira Knightley." However, I would slightly disagree. Keira has crispness and oozes self-confidence. Cressida still is learning, the self confidence doesn't pop at you on the screen. While sufficiently well-spoken, there is a bit more polish needed. I recall her brother once explaining her as delicate and 'very young'. You can see that in the video. She's 'very young', for a 26 year old.

They are also correct regarding her CV. She has the background one would expect of someone serious about a career in acting.

Fact is, anyone who connects up with Harry will have consequences to that connecting up. I think the (apparent) expectation that Cressida (or anyone) should not deal with the consequences when they come (good or bad) is an unrealistic expectation. That's what I was saying.

I'm not sure why the consequences are a 'however'. :ermm: I just don't get the seeming negative being attached to the fact that she would be an object of interest due to her (intimate) connection to Harry.

But what does this signify to you? This is not anything she can control. It is what it is.

I don't consider two years as someone's girlfriend as 'brief'. We may have different standards for 'brief', I guess. :ermm:

I just don't get it. This young woman made the mistake (it looks like) of allowing herself to be seen as Harry's girl. Forever it will be that she 'benefited' from that, and so possibly 'connived' it all. :sad: Jimmies, what cynics.

Some short while back I suggested that Harry likely chased Cressida (because she did have a boyfriend). In my experience men chase the girls they want. I would assume Harry does the same. Yet this suggestion was not greeted with acceptance here. It was an eye-opener for me. I saw that there are roles being played out. Harry's role is to be the sweet innocent being chased by all the conniving girls (backed by evil mothers, no doubt) intent upon furthering their careers. The girl's role (or young woman's role) is to be the chaser, landing Harry with her wiles, manipulating him into complicity with their selfish desires. It's beyond belief imo. :ermm: Go figure.

Anyway, Cressida, keep on keepin' on. Don't look back. :flowers:

Well, compared to his previous relationship with Miss Davy, his relationship with Miss Bonas was brief. They appeared as brother and sister than anything else. If what's reported is true, Harry and Cressida met through friends. They socialize in the same group.

I don't know these people, but there is an advantage to being very good and loyal friends of the royals. I'm sure Cressida is working hard on her own career and that's a beautiful thing to see. I'm not personally saying she used Harry for her own selfish desires. I think we all can say that the publicity of her being associated with Harry didn't hurt her, but helped her and was an advantage for her, among her many other advantages and her own merits. I think that's perfectly fine. The royals really don't mind their loyal and most close friends being helped by their associations with them. William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie's friends businesses and other ventures have gained a great deal of publicity from the royals as well as their own merits and hard work.

Last edited:
Chelsy is making it clear that she has no interest of going back to Harry again.

I see Emma Pernald has responded to Carl Philip's comments about never having felt love before. Good for her! I thought his comments were tacky and hurtful and he was an idiot if he spent 10 years of his life with someone he didn't feel love for.

I see Emma Pernald has responded to Carl Philip's comments about never having felt love before. Good for her! I thought his comments were tacky and hurtful and he was an idiot if he spent 10 years of his life with someone he didn't feel love for.

That was NOT wat Prince Carl Philip said.

Pretty much actually. He'd never felt the magic of love - tacky and thoughtless.

Exactly so. :sad: My husband had wives before me and I had a (somewhat) long-term relationship before him. All loves are different, but nothing can convince me that speaking ill (even by inference) of a former 'significant other' is ever 'cool'.

Last edited:
Pretty much actually. He'd never felt the magic of love - tacky and thoughtless.

Exactly. That was a stupid comment on his part and didn't need to sink that low. He spent 10 years with her, she is one of Madeleine's best friends and seems like a great person while keeping it friendly with CP this whole time. It was rude and disrespectful of CP.

Yeah, I support Sofia and C-P but that comment made me flinch. My first thought was 'poor Emma'. I would have felt the same if Victoria had made that comment. It would have been 'poor Daniel Collert'.

I know I've posted this over in the Carl Philip/Sophia pre-wedding thread but I think it is appropriate to post here also due to the nature of the conversation about the comment made by CP in an interview held a matter of days before his wedding.

IMO, I think CP's mind and thoughts were where they should have been. In the now. I'd actually be very amazed if the thought of Emma even had crossed his mind. When you're about to be married and asked about the woman you're going to be wed to, it'd be very odd for a groom to *not* use the best possible descriptions that comes to mind.

Quite a few times I've described second marriage as one to the love of my life and my best friend. I never thought in any way (nor did anyone else) see it as a slur against my first husband. It was (and is) how I feel about my current husband. Most of us, I think, when it comes to describing the emotions and feelings about a current relationship, it comes from what the heart is feeling now.

Just my take on it though.

There would be nothing wrong with C-P saying Sofia is the love of his life, but that's not how he worded it. There's a difference between best love and only love, he inferred the latter.

There would be nothing wrong with C-P saying Sofia is the love of his life, but that's not how he worded it. There's a difference between best love and only love, he inferred the latter.

I was under the impression that he used the term "true love". At the risk of sounding shallow, I think all relationships, when they are in the good days, could be classified as being true loves and the other person the soul mate. Sometimes they last. Sometimes they don't. When there's stars in the eyes,
everything has that rosy glow to it.

I just don't think he even thought of Emma at all at that time.

Agree with your view here. :sad: It was the way he worded it. It's why it pricked everyone's ears. Thoughtless, but... I've said my say. Moving on.

:flowers: (I'm just glad I'm not one of his priors - ouch!)

I do think it's interesting that Harry's so visibly supporting Cressida. He didn't bother to attend Chelsy's charity gala last year. I'd wager he's still carrying a torch for Cressida and he's hoping she'll reconsider. I think she moved on, though. I bit of a futile attempt from Harry.

Either that or they're the never married version of Andrew and Fergie. Oddly close post-split. Maybe they'll invest in a ski chalet together.

:previous: What puzzles me is where is Cressida's old boyfriend that she apparently is hooked up with again? Unless The Tabloid is carefully editing him out. :p There was such fanfare on Valentines's Day four months ago that she was out-and-about with him. Where is he? Puzzling.

Back
Top Bottom