The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Courtier

Chelsey is a law student --- that's not exactly a housekeeper. The girl has something going for her. I think she would make a good addition to the royal family and ... she and Harry have that special connection between them. Harry: take a page from your father's book -- marry the woman you love not the woman people think you should marry. 'Just sayin'

Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Commoner

What has become of all these exes?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Chelsey is a law student --- that's not exactly a housekeeper. The girl has something going for her. I think she would make a good addition to the royal family and ... she and Harry have that special connection between them. Harry: take a page from your father's book -- marry the woman you love not the woman people think you should marry. 'Just sayin'

I think Harry would marry her tomorrow but she knows what she would have to give up - career, privacy, a life etc and isn't prepared to give up the right to make choices about her own life - to have things organised for her months in advance - to lose the spontaneity she has now.

Chelsy is way too smart for Harry and for the BRF - they wouldn't now how to deal with her.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, but I don't find Chelsy " too smart" for BRF, nor very successfull lawyer to be. The only material that I've read about her on papers was about her rich background and wild parties, and actually no concrete career or other achievements, like running a charity project etc. Nobody could tell exactly what was the relation there and the exact attitude of the senior members of BRF towards her. Despite this, I must admit she and Harry really look like a true couple that complement each other.
I agree that she is mostly independent.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Sorry, but I don't find Chelsy " too smart" for BRF, nor very successfull lawyer to be. The only material that I've read about her on papers was about her rich background and wild parties, and actually no concrete career or other achievements, like running a charity project etc.
To study law at the University of Leeds, you have to be smart. She's interned at two of the biggest firms in the country, for that you also have to be smart. Albeit I don't think IluvBertie was referring to the fact that Chelsy is extremely book smart. She's savvy, knows what she wants in life and won't let anyone stop her having it. Unlike Catherine who's the complete opposite, she was at William's beck and call for the years prior to their engagement and gave up all notion of her own life to marry him. Chelsy knows what she'll have to give up and realises she doesn't want to, that's smart.

Also, why does Chelsy have to run a charity project? What's that got to do with being a lawyer? Or even a future royal?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I agree with Lumutqueen; Chelsy got a Master's Degree that cannot be considered light by any criteria, and is an intern at Allen & Overy - one of the Magic Circle law firms. That sounds pretty smart to me. I also understand her misgivings; however wonderful young man Harry may be, marrying him will essentially mean burying all chances of having a career, and becoming something a ribbon-cutting trophy wife. I would feel very hesitant in Chelsy's shoes as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
...actually no concrete career or other achievements...
No concrete career or other achievements? She studied law at one of the best universities of England and she is now working for one of the best law firms in England. Also, Chelsy indeed supports several charities, her brother does as well. Has Kate ever done such things pre-engagement? Apart from that roller disco thing of course. What career did she have, what achievements and which charity projects did she run? Yes, Chelsy and Harry have been partying quite a bit as have William and Kate. I'm sorry for the comparisions, but it often seems to me, that, now that Kate is a Duchess, all the criticism is forgotten (and brushed under the carpet by the press) and Kate and Will are the golden couple while Harry and Chelsy are the wild & lazy party bunch (which is absolutely NOT true).

I think Chelsy would be a wonderful addition to the BRF as she clearly has a work ethic and seems to be easy at interacting with people etc. I just don't think she would enjoy the nonstop attention which is understandable.

I don't believe Harry and Chelsy are back together, but I wouldn't be unhappy if they were.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Courtier

I am so sick of this comparison. But anyway what charities was that?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

A couple of points: There is an assumption that Harry will become a full-time working royal. I think there's a v good chance he won't but stay in the military. So Chelsy won't have to do royal duties, maybe (here's a first) she could work (sorry mods).

2nd point - isn't this thread for ex-partners?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Perhaps Harry and Chelsey - if they marry - will forgo a title, as someone mentioned. Since the generation after Charles seems to have a rather unique anti-royal-lifestyle bias - all that emphasis on wanting to be 'normal' (whatever that is suppose to mean) - may mean that the monarchy seriously undergoes an alteration with the ascent of William to the throne a few decades down the line. Harry and his wife, and what they do or do not do, may hardly be of consequence.

But they mean rich and titled
Quote:
normal

Not ordinary normal!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
A couple of points: There is an assumption that Harry will become a full-time working royal. I think there's a v good chance he won't but stay in the military. So Chelsy won't have to do royal duties, maybe (here's a first) she could work (sorry mods).
I think the chances Harry will not be a full-time working royal are very slim. Once Prince Charles ascends to the Throne, it is virtually inevitable Harry will have to leave his Army career and focus on Royal duties. Most of the current hardest-working royals are pretty advanced in years; it will be up to William, Kate, Harry and his future wife to gradually take the burden of duties from them.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Not if the monarchy changes - less events; less countries to visit (ie not monarch of countries such as Australia). The patronages carried out by some of the older royals will cease when they do. It's not affordable.
This is the wrong thread for this discussion

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I suppose major chances might mean a situation similar to Sweden: the heir (Victoria in Sweden, William in the UK) is a full-time working royals, while the spares (Carl Philip and Madeleine in Sweden, Harry and Beatrice in the UK) are working royals but with more flexibility and less engagements.
This is indeed a topic for a different thread; I do tend to go off topic sometimes.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think Harry would marry her tomorrow but she knows what she would have to give up - career, privacy, a life etc and isn't prepared to give up the right to make choices about her own life - to have things organised for her months in advance - to lose the spontaneity she has now.

Chelsy is way too smart for Harry and for the BRF - they wouldn't now how to deal with her.
If (and that's a big if) Chelsy and Harry are dating again, then she's obviously coming to terms with the fact that she will have to give up her career/life if she wants to marry him. I mean, what's the point of constantly getting back together if you don't see some type of future with that person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I am so sick of this comparison. But anyway what charities was that?
I agree. I don't know why Kate and Chelsy are constantly compared. This desire to prove one woman is better than the other is really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Has Kate ever done such things pre-engagement? Apart from that roller disco thing of course. What career did she have, what achievements and which charity projects did she run?
Besides the roller disco, Kate was involved with a quite few charities before the marriage.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
2nd point - isn't this thread for ex-partners?
It is, and Chelsy is an ex partner.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Has Kate ever done such things pre-engagement? Apart from that roller disco thing of course. What career did she have, what achievements and which charity projects did she run?
Kate took a gap year after school during which she was involved with helping disadvantaged children in Chile. She also taught English in some of the local schools. While working for her family's company she was responsible for their charity tie ups, and was instrumental in building the firm's relationship with the Children's Starlight Foundation which involved putting on parties for children in hospices. We saw many pictures over the years of Kate attending charity fundraisers, the charity boxing matches come to mind. She took part in a fashion show for charity at university, even going so far as to wear a see through dress to pull in the paying punters! She was a member of The Sisterhood and did a lot of training to row across the Channel with them, but had to pull out due to the intrusive media attention. No, she wasn't running the NSPCC, but to say she did nothing for charity other that a roller disco is very unfair.

In terms of career, Kate got a good degree at a very good university. She then worked for her parents' business. From my experience in business banking I can tell you lots and lots of people work in family firms, in fact both Kate's siblings still do! No one has produced any evidence to suggest that she wasn't genuinely working for Party Pieces, it probably offered her a bit more flexibility in being able to see the man she loves who was away for long stretches training in the Army, but the fact that she chose to work for the family business isn't something to be ashamed of in my opinion. Although there are lots of people who look down on her for it.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yep, Kate's degree is from the 85th most revered uni in the world.(Not being harpy, just adding to information.) However, St. Andrews is #1 in Scotland and #5 in the UK.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

According to the most recent league tables, St. Andrews is number 6 on the list of best universities in the UK. It's below only Cambridge, London School of Economics, Oxford, Imperial College London and Durham. Those are all world-class universities. I think it's also a Russell Group university, which would be the UK equivalent to the Ivy League in the US.

By way of comparison, Leeds University where Chelsy did her conversion course, ranks at number 34 in the UK.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The university ranking is somewhat irrelevant, if Ms. Davy landed the internship in the prestigious law firm. It would be fair to say that Russell Group universities have got a fair share of students, who were admitted because of bribes and/or society status.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's not irrelevant. St. Andrews is more difficult to get into than Leeds. At my grammar school St.Andrews was one of the most popular universities for applications because of its reputation as an excellent uni. I don't think anyone at my school applied for Leeds.

Ms Davy did get her internship, the first of which was with Farrer & Co, well known in the UK as the lawyers to the Royal Family. You can make your own mind up as to whether that was a coincidence. She doesn't appear to have been offered a permanent contract with Farrer & Co so she took another year off and then got Allen & Overy who, interestingly enough, have also been used by the royals occasionally.