Royals Born By Caesarean

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother's friend had IVF and gave birth naturally (Age 34, first child).

It is rare but it does happen. They often tend to induce IVF babies earlier than other babies, also due to the fact that they are "more precious". I disagree completely with it as all babies are precious, but IVF is treated very differently. This is the norm for the hospital I work at, as well as surrounding areas.

It is rare but it does happen. They often tend to induce IVF babies earlier than other babies, also due to the fact that they are "more precious". I disagree completely with it as all babies are precious, but IVF is treated very differently. This is the norm for the hospital I work at, as well as surrounding areas.
In Sweden I would say that the norm is natural births even with IVF babies, but it's true that there are more caecareans and induced deliveries when it comes to IVF babies, the reason is due to the mother's age (older mothers) and as doctors know the pregnancy lenght in an IVF pregnancy and don't want the pregancies be more than 7 days overdue.

In Sweden I would say that the norm is natural births even with IVF babies, but it's true that there are more caecareans and induced deliveries when it comes to IVF babies, the reason is due to the mother's age (older mothers) and as doctors know the pregnancy lenght in an IVF pregnancy and don't want the pregancies be more than 7 days overdue.

I have read research that Sweden is well known for it's normal delivery rates, much more than the United Kingdom. I would love to visit a Swedish Maternity Unit.

It is true that the main reasons for the increased c-section number is due to maternal age. Women over the age of 40 do not labour particularly well, therefore they are not often given the chance to proceed to a normal delivery as complications occur.

I have read research that Sweden is well known for it's normal delivery rates, much more than the United Kingdom.
In the county where I live 80% of all deliveries were vaginal, 12,5% planned caecareans and the rest unplanned/emergency caecareans in 2011.

Does anyone know about Queen Paola's pregnancies? And Princess Astrid?

Molly2101 said:
It is true that the main reasons for the increased c-section number is due to maternal age. Women over the age of 40 do not labour particularly well, therefore they are not often given the chance to proceed to a normal delivery as complications occur.

My mom's youngest brother was born when my grandma was 41, he was full term and I think born naturally. He was the last of my grandparents' 6 children. But my mom was 43 when my youngest brother was born, and she had him C-section 10 weeks early because of placental separation, just like Sophie and Louise. My mom laboured for 30 hours; after feeling her fluid start to leak, she went straight to the hospital after dropping me off at morning kindergarten, and my brother was born the next afternoon.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many royal twins were born naturally:

I remember that the Belgian ones (Nicolas & Aymeric) & the French ones (Luis & Alfonso) were born via C-section, but what about the older ones? (from the previous generation, as to say)

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark delivered her twins, Vincent and Josephine, naturally.

I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for my question, but does anyone know how many royal children were born at home? Or are most of them born in hospital nowadays? I think that two of the Behn sisters were born at Martha Louise's and Ari's county residence, but apart from that I'm not sure.

Reaching way back into Scottish royal history, Margery, wife of a Stewart, was delivered of her baby Robert at an abbey near where she fell off her horse while hugely pregnant. She died (probably of blood loss) and a skilled person at the abbey successfully delivered the infant, who later became king.
Margery was the daughter of the famous leader Robert the Bruce. Her husband was one of the "hereditary stewards" who eventually became hereditary kings of Scotland. The kings were elected in those days. Margery's son, born by caesarean, did become King Robert.
I see now that Biri already "announced" this birth in history.

Last edited:
I read in "The Royals" by Kitty Kelley that Charles was born by C-section, and that Elizabeth was under general anesthesia for it. I don't know the reasoning behind it; but the Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) isn't much bigger than me (5'4" vs. my 5'2"), and you try delivering a 7 lb. 6 oz. baby naturally at my size. Also, I am now older than she was when Charles was born (she was 22 years 208 days, and I'm 22 years 219 days). I can't imagine the prospect of having a baby at my age in this decade! I'm waiting a few more years to at least get married, and then I'll think about childbearing (even though I've been fertile for almost 10 years now).

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for my question, but does anyone know how many royal children were born at home? Or are most of them born in hospital nowadays? I think that two of the Behn sisters were born at Martha Louise's and Ari's county residence, but apart from that I'm not sure.

Queen Juliana's four daughters were all born at home,3 at Soestdijk Palace,one,Margriet,while in exile in Canada...well,actually Margriet was born in a hospital room in Ottawa that was declared Dutch soil..sort of home too...grin

All three sons of Queen Beatrix were born by ceasarian,as were the four children of Princess Irene of The Netherlands,including the present Duke of Parma.

Queen Juliana's four daughters were all born at home,3 at Soestdijk Palace,one,Margriet,while in exile in Canada...well,actually Margriet was born in a hospital room in Ottawa that was declared Dutch soil..sort of home too...grin

All three sons of Queen Beatrix were born by ceasarian,as were the four children of Princess Irene of The Netherlands,including the present Duke of Parma.

Technically speaking, Margriet was born in a Dutch hospital room run by a bunch of Canadians. Still Dutch, but not home.

I read in "The Royals" by Kitty Kelley that Charles was born by C-section, and that Elizabeth was under general anesthesia for it. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but the Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) isn't much bigger than me (5'4" vs. my 5'2"), and you try delivering a 7 lb. 6 oz. baby naturally at my size. Also, I am now older than she was when Charles was born (she was 22 years 208 days, and I'm 22 years 219 days).

I cannot remember where I read it but I thought Queen Elizabeth II had natural deliveries with her four children but that her mother had caesareans. I remember reading something along the lines of the then-Duchess of York laboring for some time and after awhile a "certain course of treatment was followed" because Princess Elizabeth was breech and thought to be too large. Back then, women didn't want to be that involved in the messy details and were likely to go with whatever the doctor suggested.

You'd be amazed at the capacity of the female body. I am 5'2" and gave birth to a 7lb. 3oz. baby after only 5-ish hours of labor. I wore home my pre-pregnancy jeans, too.;)

A very interesting thread,I think it´s good that most royals opted for natural delivery and only for C-section when it was needed.Nowadays lots of women are afraid of natural birth and chose c-section even if it is not necessary by medical standards.
(Every woman should decide what they feel works best for them-but natural delivery is if you have a normal birth & baby still the healthiest choice.)

In India they say some women are "Too posh to push" when they chose c-section without medical reasons for it-that´s why Aishwarya Rai (actress) stressed in her first press release that her child was delivered naturally.

I think that the size of the mother should not be over-emphasised-some petite women are extremely strong & healthy while other may be have less endurance,it really depends on each person and their health and will!

I assume Crown Princess Victoria gave birth to Estelle naturally as she left the hospital the same day she gave birth. Her sister Madeleine also gave birth naturally to Leonore.

I assume Crown Princess Victoria gave birth to Estelle naturally as she left the hospital the same day she gave birth. Her sister Madeleine also gave birth naturally to Leonore.
Princesses Estelle and Leonore were delivered naturally. There would be no way any woman would be allowed to leave a few hours after a caesarean of their first child. It is major surgery. I was in hospital for 5 days with my first.

The current QEII and her late sister Margaret were both born via C-section delivery.

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa delivered her first child HGD Guillaume by caesarian and might have given birth to her four subsequent children that way as well.

Personally, I am very uncomfortable with the idea of preaching at women about which birth method they choose to have. The experience of pregnancy and labor/birth is often highly complex and subjective. The most important thing to consider is the health of the mother and baby, and I am sure any reputable obstetrician will take those factors into consideration, not whether or not the mother-to-be feels she is "too posh to push".

The idea of a famous woman-any woman-feeling she needs to go public and justify/explain such an intimate decision is just another example of a world going crazy, imo.

In other words....it's nobody's business.:ermm:

Last edited:
Update: Also Prince Aga Khan IV and Napoleon Bonaparte were born premature.

A very interesting thread,I think it´s good that most royals opted for natural delivery and only for C-section when it was needed.Nowadays lots of women are afraid of natural birth and chose c-section even if it is not necessary by medical standards.
(Every woman should decide what they feel works best for them-but natural delivery is if you have a normal birth & baby still the healthiest choice.)

In India they say some women are "Too posh to push" when they chose c-section without medical reasons for it-that´s why Aishwarya Rai (actress) stressed in her first press release that her child was delivered naturally.

I think that the size of the mother should not be over-emphasised-some petite women are extremely strong & healthy while other may be have less endurance,it really depends on each person and their health and will!

i think "Too posh to push" is commonly used all over the world by now :p

as light hearted as the expression is, i feel that it is still fairly crude. women may chose C sections over natural birth for reasons not pertaining not wanting 'to push', regardless of whether there is a medical reason so as to do it or not. as if all that was involved with birthing was pushing... :ermm:

yes what an unpleasant way of thinking. Its up ot the Mother, in conjunction iwht her medical advisers to decide.

Why were all of them born by ceasarean ? Were complications during the birth ?

Back when Beatrix was having children if the first birth was cesarean then all subsequent ones would be cesarean as well.

According to "The Royal Baby Book: A Heir-Raising History of All Things Royal Baby" by Alison James (excellent read, I highly recommend it!), Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward were indeed all born by Caesarean, Charles after a 30-hour labour, and he is thought to have been breech like his mother. Also, both David and Sarah were C-sections because "image-conscious Margaret did not approve of natural childbirth because it meant the babies wouldn't arrive in the world looking perfect!"

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Back when Beatrix was having children if the first birth was cesarean then all subsequent ones would be cesarean as well.

Princess Margriet had her four sons by cesarean and if I am right her sister Christina had also cesarean for her three children.
There was a pic in the paper, five days after the birth of Juliana Guillermo, where mother and child were brought home on a ambulance-stretcher

According to "The Royal Baby Book: A Heir-Raising History of All Things Royal Baby" by Alison James (excellent read, I highly recommend it!), Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward were indeed all born by Caesarean, Charles after a 30-hour labour, and he is thought to have been breech like his mother. Also, both David and Sarah were C-sections because "image-conscious Margaret did not approve of natural childbirth because it meant the babies wouldn't arrive in the world looking perfect!"

Never hard of this and I would find it hard to believe. Partly because I believe that in the 50s and 60s they didn't recommend that anyone should have more htan 2 or 3 Caesarians. And if the queen had had all her children born by Caesarian I'm sure it would have been publicly mentioned.. It wasn't by then something that would be discreetly hidden, at least not by the 60s. This just sounds like well I have to say nonsense...

Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella of Monaco were born via c-section. I don't know if their birth was complicated or if it was decided to do this in advance.

I think that it is probable that there were good medical reasons for the Monaco children to be born by C section. It seems as if Charlene had some troubles conceiving and she's not very young. They may have feared her having problems giving birth and as these children were long awaited heirs...

I think that it is probable that there were good medical reasons for the Monaco children to be born by C section. It seems as if Charlene had some troubles conceiving and she's not very young. They may have feared her having problems giving birth and as these children were long awaited heirs...

Twins born to older mothers are usually delivered by C-section anyways.

i imagine the babies born to the latest generation of swedish royals were mostly born naturally, given how quickly the mums left the hospitals? i recall victoria left some days, if not hours, after delivering both estelle and oskar, and, from memory, it was similar for sofia with alexander and madeleine with nicholas. i cannot remember madde left with leonore.

i believe kate wanted a natural birth too, so i would have a tendency to say george and charlotte were born that way, but i don't think it was ever confirmed. she also left the hospital very soon after, so it is quite likely this was the case.

given that letizia had 2 C-sections for leonor and sofia, she did quite well to leave hospital in heels and carrying the babies herself (albeit she stayed in hospital for a week or so each time).

leaving with leonor

leaving with sofia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom