Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly C

Heir Apparent
City
Kingsbridge
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not aware there's a thread to cover this annual event which has had mixed support from Royals over the years. I came across this interesting report
ESPN - Wimbledon a hotbed for tradition - Tennis

I thought it might be a place to post pictures of Royals who have sat in the Royal box over the years. One of the best years seems to have been 1981 when Grace,Rainier, Albert & Stephanie paid a visit to the Women's finals. Diana was also in the box that day along with the Kents .
Prince Albert Lady Diana Wimbledon (From PA Photos)

I note Kate was in the crowd on Cenre Court on Saturday (but not in the Royal Box) YET:lol:!
Kate Middleton at Wimbledon Photos » British Royal Wedding

Besides the Duke of Kent I've haven't seen any other royals at Wimbledon.

Princess Anne used to visit & famously presented Ann Jones with the women's trophy in 1969. Have a photo somewhere if I can find it.

Pic 27.6.2008

Princess Michael of Kent watches from the Royal Box on
Centre Court during the Wimbledon Championships 2008
- Day 5 - at the All England Tennis Club in Wimbledon,
June 27, 2008

----> Pic

Lady Helen Taylor and her husband often attend the ladies final. I have seen her as I was watching, and there are a few photos of her out there.

King Constantine of Greece often attends.

Pics 4.+5.7.2008

Venus Williams is presented with her trophy by the Duke of Kent,
President of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, after
defeating her sister Serena in their finals match at the
Wimbledon tennis championships in London July 5, 2008.

---> Pic

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched some of the BBC coverage of the final & didn't see shots of Royalty in the box - was Princess Michael of Kent there? It seemed a pretty small turnout for the final - I wish more of the young royals would support it. :cry: (It would also have been nice if a member of the family could have been there to watch /present the British girl with her junior Wimbledon trophy.)I gather from another thread that Nadal will have his support in the Royal Box by way of members of the Spanish Royal family.:clap:

Men's final
so far ive seen the Duchess of Gloucester, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, Earl and Countess of St Andrews and Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia. the Duke of Kent is also there to present the trophy the BBC are very poor at showing the royal box and which royals are in it they prefer to show politicians
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I miss having a royal lady going on court to help with the presentation - i know the Duchess of Kent doesnt go anymore but it would be nice for the Duke of Kent to ask the Duchess of Gloucester to come on court with him

Laura Robson did get to go into the Royal Box after the Ladies Doubles but im not sure if she meet royalty

Thought it was a nice touch that the Duchess of Gloucester stayed until Andy Murray had finished his match against Richard Gasquet on the second Monday which went on until about 9.30pm - she really loves her tennis and is a great supporter

Last edited:
Here in the states they don't show any of the guests in the royal box.
When the Princess of Wales used to attend Wimbledon would they show the guests in the royal box?

Yes coverage of the royals is the worst I can remember from the BBC. Earlier in the tournament Crown Prince Frederick & Princess Mary of Denmark were reported on the Wimbledon website as being in the Royal Box - but I didn't see any footage & I haven't come across any photos either.
(Rain delay over - so just hoping Nadal can at last win the title)

Rafa won and went up to his parents and also to Felipe and Letizia. He also thanked the Prince and Princess for coming to watch him in the final

It annoyed me at the end when Andrew Castle on the BBC said that Rafa was going to the Spanish quest and didnt realise who they actually were

Last edited:
Rafe won and went up to his parents and also to Felipe and Letizia. He also thanked the Prince and Princess for coming to watch him in the final

It annoyed me at the end when Andrew Castle on the BBC said that Rafa was going to the Spanish quest and didnt realise who they actually were

The commentators on NBC here in the USA said "I think they're royals from Spain". He vaguely knew who they were.

The commentators on NBC here in the USA said "I think they're royals from Spain". He vaguely knew who they were.

That was John McEnroe. He sounded rather stupid. My apologies from America.:bang:

Rafa won and went up to his parents and also to Felipe and Letizia. He also thanked the Prince and Princess for coming to watch him in the final

Seems like Rafa agreed with us about the Royals being ignored by the BBC & decided to take matters into his own hands:lol:
(Brilliant match & deserving champion)

Yeah I heard that and I was thinking "duhhhh"! :lol: But in all honesty I doubt most of my fellow country men and women know that Spain still has a royal family, sadly.

I wonder why other members of the British royal family don't go often. I saw the Duke of York the other day but that's it. Must be they're not fans of tennis or else surely they'd take advantage of the opportunity to sit in the royal box.

Last edited:
Well i sent an email to the BBC Sport team at Wimbledon informing them that Nadal had the support of the Crown Prince and Princess of Spain and still they didnt know who he went to visit in the Royal Box and then Sue Barker came on court and said to Rafa in his interview that he was most likely the first player to ever go to the Royal Box at Wimbledon and that was when Rafa thanked said he had forgotten one thing to thank the prince and princess

I know that a Roland Garros he has gone to speak to Felipe before

I can be proud of our finnish commentators, they knew who Felipe and Letizia were.
Nadal, Felipe and Letizia
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife

Last edited:
yes when she got to the final in 2001 she lost and then the same in 2006 she asked them not to come because the last time they watched her she lost - some players are like that being quite paranoid about minor details

¡ole!

¡Enhorabuena, España! (Congratulations, Spain!) ¡Viva Nadal! ¡Viva el equipo de Eurocopa! (Cheers to Nadal and the Eurocope team) ¡Viva la infanta Leonor! :flowers:

The commentators in the Brazilian channel knew about Felipe and Letizia but not about Gwen Stefani and her husband, Gavin Rossdale. And also Real Madrid's president, Ramon Calderon was filmed but nobody knew who he was. But the commentators know about tennis not about others popular subjects.

nbc sports.com Video Player

Link to NBC coverage of Nadal climbing to meet Felipe and Letizia and the "insightful" McEnroe comment, "I believe that is royalty from Spain that was invited here to be in the royal box today." The video comes after the commercial and the Crown couple appear towards the end.

Back
Top Bottom