Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I seem to remember Caroline and Stephanie attending with Grace, but not Charlene.

Prince Rainier III, Princess Grace, Princesses Caroline, Stephanie, and Prince Albert of Monaco have all attended in the past.
Rainier III and Grace often together or else the Princess on her own, her last attendance I believe was in July 1981.

Although I’ve seen pics of Stephanie and Albert at Wimbledon, I have never come across any of Caroline. Do we know she has definitely attended in the past?

I wonder if members of the Spanish royal family will be in the Royal box on Sunday for the men’s final.

I remember Felipe and Letizia being there when Rafa won in 2008, but I don't remember them being there for his other finals. I'm trying to remember which year it was that Queen Sofia left in the middle of the French Open final because Cristina had gone into labour! It'll be lovely if they're there to cheer on Carlitos.

I can see plenty of tennis celebs, but no royals other than Kate. I thought she might have taken George or Charlotte with her, but she hasn't.

I don’t think so. A number of past ladies winners are sitting in the front row including Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova. Surprised the Duke of Kent doesn’t appear to be there.

I don’t think so. A number of past ladies winners are sitting in the front row including Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova. Surprised the Duke of Kent doesn’t appear to be there.

I am not surprised he doesn't attend. He is 87 and looking very frail. I don't know whether the heat wave in Europe what we are just now experiencing in Germany is also a problem in GB. If that is so, he would better stay at home.

Well there’s certainly no heatwave here! Quite the opposite. The Duke has already attended several times this Wimbledon. I hope he attends tomorrow’s final.

Well there’s certainly no heatwave here! Quite the opposite. The Duke has already attended several times this Wimbledon. I hope he attends tomorrow’s final.

Lucky you are! It has been almost unbearable here for several weeks, especially if you are living in the city. Out in the country it is different. I don't know where he is living, in London or does he live outside of the city?

The royals famously ignore ladies’ matches at Wimbledon. No one at the semi-finals and only Catherine at the final (out of duty).

The old Duke of Kent has retired from his post as President and last year attended only one match, probably same this year.

Definitely no heatwave here. It's pouring down, and not forecast to stop raining until 8 in the morning!

The royals famously ignore ladies’ matches at Wimbledon. No one at the semi-finals and only Catherine at the final (out of duty).

The old Duke of Kent has retired from his post as President and last year attended only one match, probably same this year.

Yes, like most people , they are far more interested in the men's game. I bet there's loads of royals there tomorrow.

While I agree that the royals attend way more men's games - unfortunate in my opinion - Camilla, Peter and the Tindalls did attend a ladies' quarter final.

Yes, like most people , they are far more interested in the men's game. I bet there's loads of royals there tomorrow.

Even though that will be more boring, since we can already be pretty sure who will win the men's final...
I think William will come with Catherine, as he usually does for the men's final. Maybe George or Charlotte?
Maybe Sophie as well, since she hasn't been to Wimbledon so far this year?

I think it would be nice if the Spanish King brought Leonor or Sofia, if one of them is interested in tennis ?

Last edited:
While I agree that the royals attend way more men's games - unfortunate in my opinion - Camilla, Peter and the Tindalls did attend a ladies' quarter final.

Even though that will be more boring, since we can already be pretty sure who will win the men's final...
I think William will come with Catherine, as he usually does for the men's final. Maybe George or Charlotte?
Maybe Sophie as well, since she hasn't been to Wimbledon so far this year?

I think it would be nice if the Spanish King brought Leonor or Sofia, if one of them is interested in tennis ?

We can't be sure, most people thought Jabeur would win today and she didn't and even if Djokovic does win this match will be far from boring, I expect a thriller!

Sorry to say, that it is true. Same with soccer. There are soccer female teams and the World Championship for women's soccer will start July 20 in Australia and New Zealand. Nobody is interested. As I am personally not a soccer fan, male or female, I have to admit that I am also not much involved.
About tennis, I am a bit surprised, because after all those famous female tennis players, jus to mention Steffi Graf and the Williams Sisters, I would have thought that they are just as worth watching than the male players.

Sorry to say, that it is true. Same with soccer. There are soccer female teams and the World Championship for women's soccer will start July 20 in Australia and New Zealand. Nobody is interested. As I am personally not a soccer fan, male or female, I have to admit that I am also not much involved.
About tennis, I am a bit surprised, because after all those famous female tennis players, jus to mention Steffi Graf and the Williams Sisters, I would have thought that they are just as worth watching than the male players.

It is such a pity! I do think in tennis the women still get more attention than in many other sports... Like you say there are quite a few incredibly famous female tennis players, everybody knows them, you definitely can't say that for every sport. And they get the same amount of prize money as the men at Wimbledon and the other Grand Slam tournaments, so that's the bright side!

But yes, unfortunately female tennis players are still not considered worth watching by everyone :ermm: I don't personally get it at all.

I think it's a pity the royals in general (not just British) often don't show anywhere near the same amount of enthusiasm for women's sports as men's, since they could really bring some attention and make a difference...

You asked above where the Duke of Kent lives, he does live in London, at Kensington Palace.

We can't be sure, most people thought Jabeur would win today and she didn't and even if Djokovic does win this match will be far from boring, I expect a thriller!

Yes, you can never be completely sure of course, but Djokovic is very, very difficult to beat. I'll be rooting for Alcaraz though, I like to root for the outsider sometimes ;)

I think the ladies' final was quite different, since neither of them had ever won a Grand Slam. Djokovic - well, he usually does win... Which is a great success obviously, I just like it when the outcome is less clear...

But the ladies' final ultimately got us a picture of Catherine hugging Ons Jabeur, which I thought was very reminiscent of the Duchess of Kent famously hugging Jana Novotna - so that was very sweet! :flowers:

It is such a pity! I do think in tennis the women still get more attention than in many other sports... Like you say there are quite a few incredibly famous female tennis players, everybody knows them, you definitely can't say that for every sport. And they get the same amount of prize money as the men at Wimbledon and the other Grand Slam tournaments, so that's the bright side!

But yes, unfortunately female tennis players are still not considered worth watching by everyone :ermm: I don't personally get it at all.

I think it's a pity the royals in general (not just British) often don't show anywhere near the same amount of enthusiasm for women's sports as men's, since they could really bring some attention and make a difference...

You asked above where the Duke of Kent lives, he does live in London, at Kensington Palace.

Yes, you can never be completely sure of course, but Djokovic is very, very difficult to beat. I'll be rooting for Alcaraz though, I like to root for the outsider sometimes ;)

I think the ladies' final was quite different, since neither of them had ever won a Grand Slam. Djokovic - well, he usually does win... Which is a great success obviously, I just like it when the outcome is less clear...

But the ladies' final ultimately got us a picture of Catherine hugging Ons Jabeur, which I thought was very reminiscent of the Duchess of Kent famously hugging Jana Novotna - so that was very sweet! :flowers:

No one bats an eyelid these days when royals do things like this but when Diana and the Duchess of Kent were hugging people back in the day it was quite a sensation.

I can see plenty of tennis celebs, but no royals other than Kate. I thought she might have taken George or Charlotte with her, but she hasn't.

While Catherine has taken George with her before, only royal children are allowed in the Royal box, "ordinary" children aren't. It caused a big fuss one year as the Duchess of Kent wanted to take the son of a bereaved friend as a nice gesture and was firmly told no the child couldn't attend. The Duchess, a Wimbledon regularly, was very upset by it. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they don't feel comfortable taking the children regularly given its very much a privilege enjoyed only by the royal family.

Just seen them all on BBC 1. Lovely to see them all there.

Back
Top Bottom