The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Well i sent an email to the BBC Sport team at Wimbledon informing them that Nadal had the support of the Crown Prince and Princess of Spain and still they didnt know who he went to visit in the Royal Box and then Sue Barker came on court and said to Rafa in his interview that he was most likely the first player to ever go to the Royal Box at Wimbledon and that was when Rafa thanked said he had forgotten one thing to thank the prince and princess

I know that a Roland Garros he has gone to speak to Felipe before

Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I can be proud of our finnish commentators, they knew who Felipe and Letizia were.
Nadal, Felipe and Letizia
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife

Old 07-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected The Duke of York on Men's semi-final day
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected Lady Rose back in 2007
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected Belgian Royals back in 2001 - Justin Henin asked them not to come again because they brought her bad luck

Old 07-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

The Duchess of Kent presenting the Men's Singles Trophy to Boris Becker

The Princess of Wales & Duchess of York

1994 The Princess of Wales & William

Old 07-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected Belgian Royals back in 2001 - Justin Henin asked them not to come again because they brought her bad luck
She asked them not to come? Isn't that a little harsh?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

yes when she got to the final in 2001 she lost and then the same in 2006 she asked them not to come because the last time they watched her she lost - some players are like that being quite paranoid about minor details

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Aristocracy

¡ole!

¡Enhorabuena, España! (Congratulations, Spain!) ¡Viva Nadal! ¡Viva el equipo de Eurocopa! (Cheers to Nadal and the Eurocope team) ¡Viva la infanta Leonor!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Nobility

The commentators in the Brazilian channel knew about Felipe and Letizia but not about Gwen Stefani and her husband, Gavin Rossdale. And also Real Madrid's president, Ramon Calderon was filmed but nobody knew who he was. But the commentators know about tennis not about others popular subjects.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I can be proud of our finnish commentators, they knew who Felipe and Letizia were.
Nadal, Felipe and Letizia
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife

I loved Letizia's coat! And the Spanish royals have been very occupied lately, with all these big championships with Spanish sportmen.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
The commentators on NBC here in the USA said "I think they're royals from Spain". He vaguely knew who they were.
nbc sports.com Video Player

Link to NBC coverage of Nadal climbing to meet Felipe and Letizia and the "insightful" McEnroe comment, "I believe that is royalty from Spain that was invited here to be in the royal box today." The video comes after the commercial and the Crown couple appear towards the end.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Grace and Lady Diana Spencer Applauding at the Men's Singles final between John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg July 4, 1981
Corbis
Princess Marina gives the men´s single´s trophy to Rod Laver of Australia July 5, 1968
Corbis
Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde talk to Kim Clisters, July 8, 2001
Corbis
Princess Diana and prince William, July 6, 1991
IBL Bildbyrå
Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

King Hussein & Queen Noor of Jordan watching the men's final in 1995

Princess Alexandra presenting Men's Doubles Trophy to Laver & Emerson 1971
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Serene Highness

The Duke and Duchess of Kent are always present because the Duke is the president of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

Queen Elizabeth II presenting the Venus Rosewater Plate to Althea Gibson, winner of Wimbledon 1957: "It must have been terribly hot out there."
Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I'm not aware there's a thread to cover this annual event which has had mixed support from Royals over the years. I came across this interesting report
ESPN - Wimbledon a hotbed for tradition - Tennis
We actually have The Tennis Topic at the Members' Corner subforum here. That's where we keep track of all tennis events, including Wimbledon.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Serene Highness

The Duchess of Kent presenting the Venus Rosewater dish to Martina Navratilova (in this particular photo she won her record ninth Wimby)
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri.../gallery1a.jpg
Old 07-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Danish Royal Watchers has a summary of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary's time at Wimbledon. There are no pictures of them at the actual event, but rather them later that evening.

Danish Royal Watchers
Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

Wimbledon 2009 starts tomorrow. I wonder which Royals will be present this year. It will be interesting to see if Andy Murray makes the men's final whether the Queen or Prince of Wales attend. I remember Her Majesty attended when Virginia Wade got to the final (& won it ) in the Siver Jubilee year. I'd really like to see support from some of the younger Royals. Does anyone know if William or Harry have any interest in tennis?l
Old 06-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C
Wimbledon 2009 starts tomorrow. I wonder which Royals will be present this year. It will be interesting to see if Andy Murray makes the men's final whether the Queen or Prince of Wales attend. I remember Her Majesty attended when Virginia Wade got to the final (& won it ) in the Siver Jubilee year. I'd really like to see support from some of the younger Royals. Does anyone know if William or Harry have any interest in tennis?l
According to the Royal Diary of Engagements, the Duke of Kent and the Duchess of Gloucester will both make appearances.
Other Royals, particularly the younger generation, may choose to visit the competition 'privately' (such visit will not be counted among official Royal engagements).

If Andy Murray or any other British player makes it to the final, I think it is likely that some of the more senior Royals will attend. Most likely, it will be Prince William and/or Prince Harry.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post

The Duke of Kent is the major royal for Wimbledon as that is his area of interest and the other royals rarely overshadow him by attending - certainly atttending the final.

The Duchess used to present the ladies trophy but hasn't done so for a few years now. I am not even sure if she attends all that often any more.

I don't remember either William or Harry attending since Diana took them as young boys. I think Diana was the tennis fan but the princes don't seem to have a great interest at all.

As this isn't a jubilee year I don't think that the Queen would attend, even if Murray made the final (although she would be cheering him on I feel sure).
Old 06-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
She asked them not to come? Isn't that a little harsh?

I don't think so.

I remember that Pete Sampras didn't have his parents there when he won his first Grand Slam so didn't let then attend the next couple - until he lost one he though having them there would bring him bad luck. I remember the commentators mentioning it during his final with Edberg at the US Open.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke of Kent opens the new Number 2 Court at Wimbledon on the first day of the 2009 Championships.

The Duke of Kent