Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catherine is the patron of the All England Club. It doesn't technically have a president, although it has several vice-presidents, just to be confusing!

:previous:

I know. The possibilty was reported in the news last summer, but since then nothing more has been mentioned..

Zara and Mike attended day 2 today, June 28:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

I miss Katherine Duchess of Kent ....

So do I, she was my favourite at this event. I don't know the full situation with the Duchess of Cambridge's role at Wimbledon but the Duchess of Kent and her husband were there most days over the whole two weeks. The Duke was President but even though the Duchess had no official role she seemed to see it as her duty to be there a lot too. I know the first few days are not that exciting but you can't pick and choose when you are the Patron /President so it's a pity Kate hasn't turned up before now.

She will be there at the weekend and a few times next.

It's not likely eith her workload that she would go along all or most days. They are planning on playing 14 days this year. She may go to five. Which is a lot.

She will be there at the weekend and a few times next.

It's not likely eith her workload that she would go along all or most days. They are planning on playing 14 days this year. She may go to five. Which is a lot.

The Kent's also had a heavy workload back in the day and doesn't look good when your workload just happens to abate at the tail end of the first week going into the second when it's all rather exciting. She missed Raducanu and Murray this week already who were the top British hopes.

The Kent's also had a heavy workload back in the day and doesn't look good when your workload just happens to abate at the tail end of the first week going into the second when it's all rather exciting. She missed Raducanu and Murray this week already who were the top British hopes.

I don’t remember them there everyday but I mainly remember the later years and there were a number of years, when the Duchess had stopped, and before Kate got involved, that royals didn’t really go at all…apart from the Duke.

Well her kids finish school next week so actually life gets busier.

It isn’t realistic to go 14 days.

I don’t remember them there everyday but I mainly remember the later years and there were a number of years, when the Duchess had stopped, and before Kate got involved, that royals didn’t really go at all…apart from the Duke.

Well her kids finish school next week so actually life gets busier.

It isn’t realistic to go 14 days.

The Duke didn't just turn up to the best matches as he was President. It doesn't look good when your diary is suddenly free as the matches get better but perhaps I'm being mean to Kate and she won't do that. We will see .The English kids don't finish school until closer to the end of July BTW.

Last edited:
The Duke didn't just turn up to the best matches as he was President. It doesn't look good when your diary is suddenly free as the matches get better but perhaps I'm being mean to Kate and she won't do that. We will see .The English kids don't finish school until closer to the end of July BTW.

Yeah…not private. Hers definitely finish next week. State schools break up around the 21st. Being in education I should know.

Well it is also to do with timings. I mean they are having up to 9/10 hours of play on centre at the moment. She couldn’t stay that long. The reason they come in the second week really is because it isn’t a whole day commitment. How could they come this early on and stay one match…who would they choose?

Last edited:
Yeah…not private. Hers definitely finish next week. State schools break up around the 21st. Being in education I should know.

Well it is also to do with timings. I mean they are having up to 9/10 hours of play on centre at the moment. She couldn’t stay that long. The reason they come in the second week really is because it isn’t a whole day commitment. How could they come this early on and stay one match…who would they choose?

Well if the kids are around all the more reason not to be at the tennis, she will be though LOL!

Well if the kids are around all the more reason not to be at the tennis, she will be though LOL!

Because that is when they go. I really don’t see a problem with it.

Also in attendance today was the Earl of St Andrews sitting next to his daughter Lady Marina:

** Pic **

What is Lord Frederick's source of income, that he is able to watch tennis ?

He supposedly has a top job at a bank. Maybe he takes his annual leave during Wimbledon, and doesn't go on holidays ... er, maybe not ...

I believe he has a senior position with JP Morgan , but a strange question - why shouldn’t he watch tennis?

There are a wide range of people go to watch tennis, the first week is the best to go as you can buy daily tickets that lets you see the outside courts .
Granted he didn't need to queue for a ticket, but maybe he took a days holiday to go.

You do not need to be very rich to watch tennis.

I think the point is that he'd been twice in five days, both of which were weekdays.

Freddie became Vice President at JP Morgan Chase in 2010 and was promoted to Executive Director in 2015 so he's not exactly tied to a desk, 9-5, 5 days a week. He also gets a seat in the royal box when he goes so it's pretty easy for him to regularly attend Wimbledon.

Last edited:
Still no Catherine. Bit odd. It could be something to do with what other royals are doing. I do hope she is alright and/or one of the kids are unwell. There is a lot going round at the moment. All oir classes at school are doing 5/6 children daily.

I really thought she'd be there today, for the special ceremony/parade of former champions to celebrate the centenary of Centre Court.

Yes, I was hoping there would be an appearance from the Duchess on this special day for Centre Court. Plus two Brits playing on the show courts.

Kate’s absence during the first week speaks volumes. I wonder if the All England Club regrets the decision to not nominate a successor to the Duke of Kent as President.

I think perhaps there is something else keeping her away. She hasn't done any engagements.

Kate’s absence during the first week speaks volumes. I wonder if the All England Club regrets the decision to not nominate a successor to the Duke of Kent as President.

The Queen was patron for years and seldom attended. Catherine has attended more times than HM since being appointed patron.

Back
Top Bottom