The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to see Kate presenting the women's trophy.
It would be lovely to see Harry at Wimbledon one day.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

If he and Meghan remain together I think we will see him there at some point.

LaRae

Old 07-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=Elly C;1999659]I would like to see Kate presenting the women's trophy.
It would be lovely to see Harry at Wimbledon one day.[/QUOTE

Why? I don't remember ever seeing Harry at Wimbledon. Why would he start now? Maybe he doesn't like tennis. He's not alone in that department since the Queen obviously doesn't like tennis either. I think she has only shown up at Wimbledon two or three times in all the years she was patron and when she did show up she looked bored to tears. Harry, the action man, would probably be bored to tears sitting there looking at a ball going back and forth. Now, put a horse on the court and he would be there in a heartbeat.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
If he and Meghan remain together I think we will see him there at some point.
I think we are more likely to see Meghan at an England rugby game. I don't think Harry has ever shown interest in tennis has he?

Is Meghan known to be a tennis fan? I know nothing about her other than her profession and nationality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I would like to see Kate presenting the women's trophy.
It would be lovely to see Harry at Wimbledon one day.
Maybe Kate could present the Ladies trophy and the Duke of Kent the Men's. Until the Duchess of Kent retired from public life that was the way I remember it when I was growing up.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

No he doesn't have any interest in tennis, but often couples go do things for the sake of the other person....that's why I think it's possible he might go to Wimbledon at some point in the future.

LaRae
Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Maybe Kate could present the Ladies trophy and the Duke of Kent the Men's. Until the Duchess of Kent retired from public life that was the way I remember it when I was growing up.
I've been an avid tennis fan since 1968 and that is exactly how I remember it. The Duchess would present the trophy to the Ladies winner. I especially remember how sweet the Duchess was to Jana Novotna after Jana lost a heartbreaker to Steffi Graf. (Actually, she choked but still . . .) Anyway, Jana cried on the shoulder of the Duchess. It was a lovely moment. The Duchess presented the trophy each year except back in, I believe, 1977, the Queen presented the trophy to Virginia Wade. HM attended Wimbledon because it was I believe a Jubilee year. I remember she looked so bored in the stands that the American commentators had a running joke going through out the match. That was one of the two or three times I saw the Queen at Wimbledon.

Anyway, it would be nice if the Duchess of Cambridge presented the trophy to the ladies winner just as the Duchess of Kent did in the past. We will find out in a few days.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Unless plans change, Kate is not scheduled to attend Wimbledon again. If she was there in an official capacity, such as handing out prize, she would. Her appearance on Monday was on the court circular. As it stands only the Duke of Kent is scheduled to attend officially on both final championship days. The duchess of Gloucester who is also a patron, will be there for men's final and at least one other day.

I don't rule out Harry going. Couples tend to go to each other's interests. Why is Meghan any more likely to go to rugby then him tennis? We have no sign she is interested in rugby. Meghan is quite close friends with Serena. I could see her taking Harry along to cheer on her friend next year.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Royals at Wimbledon

I would be very surprised if Kate's visit to Wimbledon this year is limited to just one visit given both her personal enthusiasm for tennis and her new role as patron. Actually, regarding the new appointment as patron, I think I am not alone in wrongly assuming that this would mean she would be assuming a more prominent role at the championships . The publicity surrounding her new appointment has certainly created this impression - not in a way that sidelines the Duke of Kent, but suggesting more of a presence alongside him.
Countessmeout - I thought there is only one patron of the All England club - is the Duchess of Gloucester patron of another tournament? I confess I don't know a lot about these matters.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Unless plans change, Kate is not scheduled to attend Wimbledon again. If she was there in an official capacity, such as handing out prize, she would. Her appearance on Monday was on the court circular. As it stands only the Duke of Kent is scheduled to attend officially on both final championship days. The duchess of Gloucester who is also a patron, will be there for men's final and at least one other day.

I don't rule out Harry going. Couples tend to go to each other's interests. Why is Meghan any more likely to go to rugby then him tennis? We have no sign she is interested in rugby. Meghan is quite close friends with Serena. I could see her taking Harry along to cheer on her friend next year.
Catherine likes tennis, that's quite clear so I think it's a good bet that she'll go again either with the Middletons are William. She doesn't have to go in an official capacity.

Have we ever seen Meghan at any tennis match? Worldwide? If she's close friends with Serena and likes the sport, I would have thought she would have taken up the opportunity to see her at the US Open last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Countessmeout - I thought there is only one patron of the All England club - is the Duchess of Gloucester patron of another tournament? I confess I don't know a lot about these matters.
The Duchess of Gloucester is an Honorary Member (not Patron) along with The Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
As I said, I know nothing about Meghan, which is why I asked if she was known to be a tennis fan. You've answered that she is, thanks. I agree, Harry would be as likely to attend Wimbledon as Meghan is Twickenham.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

The Duchess of Gloucester is an Honorary Member (not Patron) along with The Duke of Edinburgh.
The Duchess of Gloucester is also the Honorary Chairman of the British Lawn Tennis Association and she attends Wimbledon in that capacity.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Court View Post
The Duchess of Gloucester is also the Honorary Chairman of the British Lawn Tennis Association and she attends Wimbledon in that capacity.
Honorary President according to this article.
https://www.lta.org.uk/news/general-...sty-the-queen/

I assume the LTA is separate to AELTCC but they share the same Patron in Catherine.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
... Have we ever seen Meghan at any tennis match? Worldwide? If she's close friends with Serena and likes the sport, I would have thought she would have taken up the opportunity to see her at the US Open last year...
As @Countessmeout already pointed out, and has been discussed, Meghan has been friends with Serena for several years, and Meghan was prominently seen at Wimbledon last June/July (in one Getty images shot, Meghan was seated in front of Vogue editor, Anna Wintour). But, that was last year around the time Meghan and Harry had first met. Due to the current MM media feeding frenzy (and Serena's absence), Meghan so far appears unlikely to make an appearance at Wimbledon this year.

http://harpersbazaaruk.cdnds.net/16/...552-meghan.jpg
http://au.static.lalalay.com/upload/...ndo_85524_.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmnF5GRUsAAcQGO.jpg

Congratulating Serena after a win (I believe at the 2016 U.S. Open):
http://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_i....ms.032017.jpg
At the event where Serena and Meghan first met:
http://us.hellomagazine.com/imagenes...n-markle-t.jpg

Hmmm, Lipstick Alley gossip about how Meghan and Harry met suggests that they met last May at a charity event [reportedly it was not at the Invictus games], after which Harry bombarded Meghan with texts until she agreed to go out with him.

Check out post #65 dated 4/3/2017:
http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthr...n-Thread/page4
“... They went out with a group of friends to Soho House in London in early July, followed by two dates by themselves where Harry swept her off her feet. By August it was serious."
Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Courtier

Going to see and supporting your friend is different than being a fan of the sport.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Nobility

^^ True. Meghan may or may not be a huge fan of tennis.

Meghan met Serena Williams at a February 2014 charity basketball event, at which they served as cheerleaders, along with former Yankee's baseball player Derek Jeter's girlfriend (now wife), Hannah Davis Jeter:
Hannah Davis is first on the left

Here's another photo from Meghan's Instagram of her congratulating Serena on a win:

Serena was later a contributor to a former Mother's Day feature on Meghan's The Tig blog site. Seemingly, Meghan is giving up a lot in terms of being constrained in her ability to maintain some of her former friendships, especially with all the secrecy and keeping out of sight involved in dating Prince Harry.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent

That's not a charity basketball game. It's a flag football game that Directv did during Super Bowl weekend. They weren't cheerleaders. They were players- note the flags on the waist belts.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Honorary President according to this article.
https://www.lta.org.uk/news/general-...sty-the-queen/

I assume the LTA is separate to AELTCC but they share the same Patron in Catherine.
The Lawn Tennis Association runs British tennis - Duchess of Gloucester is Hon PResident and always attends Davis Cup matches and some events at Wimbledon

AELTCC is "just a club" - but a club that hosts the British Championships.

Queen was Patron of both organisations - now its Catherine.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Catherine likes tennis, that's quite clear so I think it's a good bet that she'll go again either with the Middletons are William. She doesn't have to go in an official capacity.

Have we ever seen Meghan at any tennis match? Worldwide? If she's close friends with Serena and likes the sport, I would have thought she would have taken up the opportunity to see her at the US Open last year.

Yes, I actually suggested she may attend privately.

My point was that she is not scheduled to officially attend. And if she was presenting the trophy, that would be considered officially attending. She would be like the Duke of Kent, listed as being there in her capacity.....The Duchess of Gloucester may not be patron of Wimbledon, she is president of lawn tennis. And when she goes to Wimbledon and other tennis events, it is stated on court circular as she us attending in that capacity.

So whether we see her again or not, unless plans change, it won't be to award a trophy. Or she would be on the calendar.

And yes Meghan was at Wimbledon last year.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Prince Michael of Kent attended today again at the Wimbledon with Alessandra Galtrucco Countess of Schonburg (I have no idea who she is)

http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...027&m=edhllmnh
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...027&m=ainghpbj
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...027&m=jogjngjp
Old 07-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Just seen one of the Luxembourg princes watching Luxembourg player Gilles Muller. I don't know which brother it was as I'm dreadful at know who's who.