Royals & Nobles and Wealth, Costs and Finances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcc

Commoner
i started an earlier thread about the wealthiest german royals and thought it would be fun to talk about rich nobles in other parts of europe. can someone tell me about the duchess of alba or the duchess of medinaceli. i have read that they have huge landholdings.any details.what about any titled families recieving land that was confiscated by the communists.what happened to the estates of princess michael of kent or prince bernhard of the netherlands.

i meant the family estates of the theprince of the netherlands and princess michael.

Princes Michael has never owned any estates in Europe. She was born in Carlsbad, Germany (Now Carlovy Vary in the Czech Republic.) Her father was a Baron von Reibnitz and came from Silesia. Such things pass through the male line, not the female line. Silesia is now a part of Poland.

I don't think Bernhard ever owned any land in what would become East Germany.

ow yes, Prince Bernhard ownes the castle of Reckenwalde, were he was born in 1911 (wich was in East-Germany, now in Poland), but it was nationalised by the state by Hitler and later by the communists in Poland. I don't know if he got his castle back after the fall of Communism. He also has (together with his late wife Queen Juliana) several houses, castles and estates in the Netherlands, like Soestdijk Palace (private property) and the Royal Domain of Eikenhorst (in wich crownprince Willem-Alexander and princess Maxima now live).

Prince Bernhard sayd in november 2003 that the Royal Family of the Netherlands has only € 250 million ,and not € 2 billion...
But this is not treu, cause they have around € 500 million of shares and obligations in Shell, KLM/Royal Dutch Airlines and the ABN-Amro Bank. They also have a lot of estates and juwelry, and their familytreasure is around € 1.8 billion.

-Reckenwalde is still not property of Prince Bernhard, he tried to get it back, but he didn't get it back.
- Palace Soestdijk is not private property, but property of the State.

I think also it is not true what Prince Bernhard told about the wealth of the Dutch Royal Family, there are relations between the family and big investment companies. ( I read about it on the Benelux Royals Message Board, you can better ask there questions about the wealth of Prince Bernhard or the family Orange-Nassau.

Maria del Rosario Cayetana Fitjames Stuart is the 18 th Duchesse of Alba de Tormes and Berwick. She born in Madrid on 28 march 1926. She married a twice: with Pedro Luis Martines de Irujo (17 Nov 1919-6 sep 1972) on 12 oct 1948 and later with Jesus Aguirre Ortiz de Zarate (9 jun 1934-11 may 2001) on 2 mar 1978.

The Duchesse of Alba have six children:
Carlos Fitjames Stuart and Martinez de Irujo: the Heir of the titles and actual Duke of Huescar. He studied Laws and have two sons (Fernando Fitzjames Stuart, born on 14 sep 1990; and Carlos Fitjames Stuart, born in 30 nov 1991) and is divorced. Born in 2-10-1948. (2nd october)
Alfonso Martinez de Irujo y Fitjames Stuat: Duke of Aliaga. Born in 22 oct 1950. He studied Economic Sciences. Have two sons (Luis Martinez de Irujo born on 26 may 1978; and Javier Martinez de Irujo born on jan 1981) and is separated to Princess Maria zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
Jacobo Martinez de Irujo: Count of Siruela. Born in 15-7-1954. He studied Philosophy. He is separated and have two sons (Jacobo Martinez de Irujo, born on 23 mar 1981; and Brianda Eugenia Martinez de Irujo, born 11-4-1984).
Fernando Martinez de Irujo: Marquess (is like that?) of San Vicente del Barro and he is single. Born 11 jul 1959. He studied Economics.
Cayetano Martinez de Irujo: Count of Salvatierra. He loves horses and related sports. Have twin sons ( Luis and Amina, born on 25 jul 2001) but he isn't married. Born in 4-4-1963.
Eugenia Martinez de Irujo: Duchesse of Montoro. Born in 10-12-1968. Separated and have a daughter (Cayetana Rivera Martinez de Irujo, born 16 oct 1999).

The Duchesse is eight times Duchesse, 15 Marquise, 19 Countess and 20 times Grand of Spain. Her godpartents were the king Alfonso XIII and the Queen Victoria Eugenia. She is the women with more nobiliary titles in the world. By a decree of Ministers in 2001 he have the Great Cross of Civil Orders of Alfonso X (Gran Cruz de la Orden Civil de Alfonso X el Sabio) in attention to the merits and circumstances of her live.
Since 1990 she was considered that the 14 greater fortune of Europe. She have numerous houses, three palaces, jewels, art (Tizziano, Rembrandt, Velázquez, Goya, Fra Angélicos ans others...)

I feel sorry for the translation but I'm spanish and don't speak English very well.

yes that's treu, Soestdijk Palace is property of the State, my mistake... :blush:, but it was private property until the 1980's (don't know the excact year), then they sold it (together with Paleis de Lange Voorhout and Paleis Kneuterdijk). Noordeinde 66 (the former home of crownprince W-A) is also private property.

They royal family has made a lot of money by trade in the East-Indies (a former Dutch colony), and they also have Russian Romanov-jewlery, cause their ancestor Queen Anna was the daughter of the Russian czar.

I only find a litle of the Duchesse of Medinaceli. Only about her family nothing about her patrimony, I sorry.
The title of Duke of Medinaceli was created in 1479 by the Queen Isabel I the catholic of Castilla.
Victoria Eugenia Fernández de Córdoba y Férnandez de Henestrosa is the 18 Duchesse of Medinaceli. She born in Madrid, 16 apr 1917 to Luis Jesus Maria Férnandez de Córdoba (17th Duke) and Ana María Férnandez de Henestroza.
She married Don Rafael de Medina y Villalonga, 12 jan 1938.
She is six times Duchess, 17 times Countess, 17 times Marqueis and three times Vizondesa.
She have four children:
Ana Luisa de Medina y Férnandez de Córdoba, born 2 may 1940. and married a twice with Max Emanuel zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg (between 3 jun 1961 and may 1982) and with don Jaime de Urzaiz y Férnandez del Castillo (from 29 april 1983). She is the IX Countess od Ofalia and Marqueis od Navahermosa.
She have three son from the first marriage: Marco (1962), Pablo (1963) and Flavia (1964). Only her daughter is married with Jose Luis de Villalonga y Sanz and have three sons: Jose Luis, Rafael and Maximiliano.
Luis de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, born 1941. He married Maria de las Mercedes Conradi on 1 dec 1985. He is the XVIII Marques of Cogolludo, Duke of Santiesteban del Puerto and Marques of Solera. Have two childreen: Victoria (1986) and Casilda (1989).
Rafael de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba born on 10 aug 1942 and died on 4 aug 2001. He married Natividad Abascal in 14 jul 1977 and they was separated from 1989. He was the XIX Duke of Feria and Maques of Villalba. They have two (handsome and single :lol: ) children: Rafael, the XX duke of Feria and Marques of Villalba (1978) and Luis (1980)
Ignacio de Medina y Fernández born 23 feb 1947. Married a twice with Mercedes Maier in 1976 and Maria da Gloria de Orleans and Braganza in october 1985. He is the XIX Duke of Segorbe, Count of Moriana del Rio and Count of Ampurias. From his second marriage has two daughters: Sol Maria de la Blanca (1986) and Ana Luna (1988)

Originally posted by Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg@Apr 27th, 2004 - 9:08 am
ow yes, Prince Bernhard ownes the castle of Reckenwalde, were he was born in 1911 (wich was in East-Germany, now in Poland), but it was nationalised by the state by Hitler and later by the communists in Poland. I don't know if he got his castle back after the fall of Communism. He also has (together with his late wife Queen Juliana) several houses, castles and estates in the Netherlands, like Soestdijk Palace (private property) and the Royal Domain of Eikenhorst (in wich crownprince Willem-Alexander and princess Maxima now live).

Prince Bernhard sayd in november 2003 that the Royal Family of the Netherlands has only € 250 million ,and not € 2 billion...
But this is not treu, cause they have around € 500 million of shares and obligations in Shell, KLM/Royal Dutch Airlines and the ABN-Amro Bank. They also have a lot of estates and juwelry, and their familytreasure is around € 1.8 billion.
Ah, yes, Reckenwalde ... it is now in Poland. There have been numerous issues with compensation for property taken by the Nazis. When Poland acquired that land, the situation changed as so many of the German landowers were not Poles.
The Pless family made some arrangements to become Polish citizens which helped them at the time, but backfired after the second war.

hi marlene. i thought princess michael's mother was a szapary/windisch-graetz(sp) and inherited large estates in the cchec republic that were confiscated after w.w.11.. as her mother took part in anti nazi demonstrations(i think) the czheck. government would most likely look favourably on her or her brothers claims. do you know if her brother has attempted to regain any famil property.

Her mother was a Countess Szpary, a Hungarian title, and Mc's matergrandmother (I think) was the Windisch Graetz. There would be no estates for her mother to inherit as the land does not pass through the females.

MC's maternal grandfather probably owned property in Hungary or the Czech republic, but MC would not have any claims on it, nor would her brother. Her brother could have a claim on her father's property in Silesia, but probably not as the land became Poland before the Communists took control.

Originally posted by ally_cooper@Apr 27th, 2004 - 9:34 am
Maria del Rosario Cayetana Fitjames Stuart is the 18 th Duchesse of Alba de Tormes and Berwick. She born in Madrid on 28 march 1926. She married a twice: with Pedro Luis Martines de Irujo (17 Nov 1919-6 sep 1972) on 12 oct 1948 and later with Jesus Aguirre Ortiz de Zarate (9 jun 1934-11 may 2001) on 2 mar 1978.
And she seems a very nice lady. :)

Here is a picture of the Duchess:
interalba.jpg

The Duchess with daughter Eugenia and Eugenia's husband Francisco Rivera Ordoñez:
http://www.antonioburgos.com/mundo/1998/10...odacayetana.jpg

do they have ladied & gentlemen in waiting? if so what are their duties?

They are very rich.Queen Margrethe sometimes can have big income from her paintings.

I think that the Liectenstein royals are the wealthiest. I think Hans Adam is worth about 2 billion dollars.

I have also heard reports that the Dutch royals are extremely weathy. There have been reports that Queen Beatrix is worth about a billion dollars, but she denies that.

what about HM Queen Elizabeth 2 of Great Britian? because she is more money! Million? wealth? billionaire?

late Princess Diana's father is also wealth and Dodi Fayed's dad also billionaire

have anymore of Royals who more money!

Sara Boyce

I read some where that Denmark is the richest. I think it was in life magazine.

I got this courtesy of forbes.com. It was last updated in March 2004.

http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/global/2004/0315/083.html

The list encompasses all heads of states. Kings/Queens as well as presidents and prime ministers.

As far as European royals are concerned, Prince Hans Adam of Liechtenstein is indeed the wealthiest with 2.2 billion. Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain follows with 660 million dollars and then Queen Beatrix with 260 million.

I read somewhere once that the Luxembourg royals were the second wealthiest Europeans royal family...

but whoa go King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz Alsaud of Saudi Arabia who's net worth is $25 billion!

muhahahahaha i'm sure some money driven girl is going through the list hunting for a husband now :p

I think that Queen Beatrix is one of the wealthiest in terms of liquid assets.

While Queen Elizabeth is wealthy in the sense that she owns many valuable items such as art work and the like.

I think King Juan Carlos is one of the least wealthiest of the reigning royals.

I think the Dutch Royals are the richest. They have considerable interest in Royal Dutch Shell, KLM Airlines and a number of other huge Dutch conglomerates.

I think it's hard to estimate exactly how wealthy these royals are, simply for the fact that a lot of those figures are ballpark estimates by some random accountant at Forbes. Plus, many non-liquid assets are included in these estimates, like art collections and jewelry.

One thing's for sure- it ain't the Windsors. :)
Lollies!
-Kara-

kinneret5764 said:
I think the Dutch Royals are the richest. They have considerable interest in Royal Dutch Shell, KLM Airlines and a number of other huge Dutch conglomerates.
According to this article from BCC News, Forbes magazine greatly overestimated the net worth of the Dutch royal family. While the family is very rich, they are not the richest family in the world.

Article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3014110.stm

What about the Royal Family of Luxembourg? I read somewhere their fortune is $ 5 Billion. I was sure the Luxembourg Royals are the richest. Do not quote me on this. I'm yet not too sure.

I saw that too...and, what about Monaco? It´s been said that Prince Rainier has a fortune of U$ 6 billion...

From MSN Money [not exactly reliable, but eh, what is?] [all estimates given in GB pounds (£)]:

The Liechtenstein royal family is in first place, estimated at £3.3 billion.
The Luxembourg royal family comes in second place with approximately £3 billion.
Then follows the Windsors with £2.4 billion.

The rest of the royals are not ranked, save for the fact that the Norwegian royal family is the "poorest", with assets worth only £90 million.

Now. Included in these estimates is everything associated with these families- art collections, jewelry, cash and investments, non-state maintained properties [like summer homes and ski chalets] and whatnot. These figures are not what they have in the bank.
As far as that goes, however....

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands is named as the wealthiest reigning monarch, with a reported fortune of £1.2 billion. [Former] Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg follows her with £800 million, and then comes Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein with £540 million.

And, Nathalian, Prince Rainier of Monaco has an estimated €1.7 billion fortune, of which very little is actually liquid [ie, cold hard cash]. A lot of his worth comes from investments, I believe.

Hope this helps a little. :)
Lollies!
-Kara-

Back
Top Bottom