The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Nobility

Private property

It´s true that no-one knows for sure. I suppose, for some reason, it´s foundations and private companies behind many Royal familys. And they have every reason to be protected about their private property. The Royal familys are not a form of colony in which everything is the property of the community.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Nobility

How are the Oranges so wealthy? I mean, they are a small house aren't they? I love them, I'm just wondering.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, a few years ago they still had 2 billion according to Forbes. But Prince Bernhard made a phonecall to the magazine and they dropped on the list. The RF always fiercely denied having this wealth, and even say that this estimate of 400m is to high. As i WW2 the countess of Athlone was still bragging about the wealth of her dutch cousin (she vindictively added that despite of this wealth her cousin still couldn't find a dress that fitted her, when she arrived in London), I assume the capital didn't deminish within 50 years so...

A book I borrowed 'Het Oranjekapitaal' (the Orange-fortune) by journalist Philip Droge claims that most of the wealth came from stocks in Royal Dutch/Shell and stocks in ABN-AMRO (King Willem I founded the predecessor of that bank).
Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
This is what this list states. Make of it what you will, it's all guesswork. No-one knows for sure.

Grand Duke Henri - 5 billion Euro
Queen Elizabeth - 4 billion
Queen Beatrix - 400 million
King Harald - 150 million
King Carl Gustav - 25 million
King Albert - 20 million
Queen Margrethe - 15 million
King Juan Carlos - 10 million

How can the Danish family be worth so little? Queen Margrethe 15 million! I suppose if you live off of pensions, that's what happens after several decades.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania
How can the Danish family be worth so little? Queen Margrethe 15 million! I suppose if you live off of pensions, that's what happens after several decades.
Alternatively, how can the Luxembourgers be worth so much? I've seen it attributed to "land", but that doesn't explain much. Richer than EIIR? Quite possibly, but how?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Aristocracy

Do you believe that the Danish family is worth so little? I find it hard to believe. I run into people at the super market worth more than that.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Well, traditionally this branch of the danish family hasn't been very rich, King Christian and Queen Louise didn't have enough money to attend the wedding of their daughter Dagmar in St.Petersburg ins tyle, for example. And if they always divided the inheritance equaly between children the fortune should be fragmented. But I agree, even when you consider these factors, it still isn't that much of a fortune, for a RF.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

The Norwegian sum is fairly fictional. It's hard to know how much exactly they have as they're keeping it hidden. The Palace confirmed in '99 that King Harald inherited an amount over 9 milion NOK and under 100 milion NOK from his father in '91. (http://www.norwatch.no/index.php?artikkelid=993&back=1) This fits in with Princess Astrid's fortune being around 75 milion NOK, according to Norwegian tax records, as King Olav's assets were shared equally between his three children.

In '99 King Harald's fortune consisted of various stocks in funds and things like that. It's placed out of the country and placed for long planning ahead, and doesn't get much bigger year by year. How much presisely, is not known. It is generally an emergency fund, or a war fund, and is not touched. This is all according to the above article from Norwatch.

There is also some confusion as to what happened to the presumed "dowry" of Queen Maud, after the war, according to the article.

I suspect the only ones who truly have a control over the financial situation are King Harald and his accountants
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

I remember some years ago Point de Vue estimated the Norwegian RF asset value as surprisingly large. The magazine stated that, among other things, there are substantial landholdings in Scotland.

I have seen another very large estimate of the Nassau family fortune (also more than that of Queen Elizabeth as in the estimates in the post below), but have yet to find any reasonable explanation. Is no one else surprised at this figure in comparison to the other Royal Houses?

The Belgian RF finances appear to be very murky, and I doubt anyone (again, apart from the King and his financial advisers) has any idea of the true figure, or even a rough estimate. I know a lot of the huge wealth acquired by Leopold II was handed over to the government, but it is hard to imagine that the dynasty didn't retain substantial assets.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Well, Princess Lilian even had to sell of some tiara's, so I imagine something went wrong there. After the death of the princess de Rethy they sold chateau Argenteuill as well, which was in a VERY neglected state. Also, many antiques, paintings etc with royal provenance were auctioned of. If the Belgian RF would be very wealthy I can not imagine things like this happening. As you said Leopold II left almost nothing to his nephew Albert I.

I believe Duke Adolf of Nassau was already described as being an extremely wealthy man (I do not know where I read it, possibly in the book of Marie of Roumania), so maybe they still have a lot of possesions in Germany?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The Moroccan Royal Family's wealth is estimated as $4-5billion by Forbes Magazine. However some estimates put it as high as $20billion.

(From the Daily Telegraph Newspaper).
Old 03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud is worth an estimated $17.7billion according to Forbes
LINK

King Fahd was worth an estimated $20billion

The Sultan of Brunei is worth at least $11billion

(All figures from Forbes)
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Aristocracy

King Mohammed VI has around 20-25 palaces in Morocco alone. He has a palace in every major city there. There is a boulevard that has 5 or 6 palaces along the road for the princes and some of the family. When the King goes to a city, he never stays in a hotel, he stays in one of his palaces. He also has a house in France and property in England.

The royal palace's budget is $250 million a year, which is 18 times more than QEII.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...3/ixworld.html

Also, the Saudi royal family has around 15 palaces in Morocco. They go there to get away from the strict rules in Saudi Arabia.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Will we ever truly know how rich these royals are? I don't think I would ever divulge my true net worth and I'm average middle class. This is really a guessing game with no end.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Courtier

Very intersting indeed, any info/guessing about Jordan royals?
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania
King Mohammed VI has around 20-25 palaces in Morocco alone. He has a palace in every major city there. There is a boulevard that has 5 or 6 palaces along the road for the princes and some of the family. When the King goes to a city, he never stays in a hotel, he stays in one of his palaces. He also has a house in France and property in England.

The royal palace's budget is $250 million a year, which is 18 times more than QEII.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...3/ixworld.html

Also, the Saudi royal family has around 15 palaces in Morocco. They go there to get away from the strict rules in Saudi Arabia.

It's not KMVI who has 20-25 palaces,but all members of the MRF,King Mohammed VI has for his own only two palaces,and the other royal palaces belong to all the members of the moroccan royal family,not only KM6.

And the 250M$,is the coast of all the moroccan monarchy,not only the coast of palaces,it includes coasts of palaces,civil lists,salaries,royal foundations....

PS: The original article about coast of moroccan monarchy was written by a moroccan journalist from the moroccan magazine "TelQuel" as KM6 said that it is not a secret and verybody can know about it from the annual state's budget,and this was reproduced by all magazines and papers...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amina1
Very intersting indeed, any info/guessing about Jordan royals?
Thanks.
I think nothing would be provided really about that,as the jordanian royals hide very well their wealth... it's a secret,as the freedom of speech and medias in Jordan daosn't allow such as talks about the royal family.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
I think nothing would be provided really about that,as the jordanian royals hide very well their wealth... it's a secret...
As it is for every other Royal family. As Kerry has pointed out in her post below very few people, from any walk of life, divulge their net worth for public consumption.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monalisa
It's not KMVI who has 20-25 palaces,but all members of the MRF,King Mohammed VI has for his own only two palaces,and the other royal palaces belong to all the members of the moroccan royal family,not only KM6.

And the 250M$,is the coast of all the moroccan monarchy,not only the coast of palaces,it includes coasts of palaces,civil lists,salaries,royal foundations....

PS: The original article about coast of moroccan monarchy was written by a moroccan journalist from the moroccan magazine "TelQuel" as KM6 said that it is not a secret and verybody can know about it from the annual state's budget,and this was reproduced by all magazines and papers...

The King has palaces in every major city that are his. His family's palaces are in the city of Rabat, and just between Rabat and Skhirat (a small tourist town on the coast which is 30 miles south of the capital) the royal family has 8 palaces. Total there are 30-35 palaces, some of which are considered their "villas."

I never said that I didn't get the information from a printed article. My husband reads TelQuel, he just couldn't remember the magazine # with this information.

I can only imagine how rich the Saudis are, they probably don't want to publish their real worth because they don't want to piss off their citizens any more.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Yes you're right Melania, I've heard the same thing from my moroccan friend, and besides MRF gets lots of (aid)money from ME rich states, and France is one of the major contributers to Morroco, they have good realtions together.