Royals and Their Pets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the story about the unfortunate death of Laika
Schwäbische Zeitung das Onlineportal
(in german)

Google Translate can't pick up the URL to translate to english, but basically, when the princely couple were on christmas vacation in 2000/2001, Laika stayed at home (where obviously there was staf to look after the dog; you can also find articles on internet which imply that Philippe and Mathilde just abandoned him, but that's not the case).
One of the staff members had tied the dog's leash to a doorknob for a only short while, and Laika got tangled up in the leash and unfortunately chocked... :sad:

OMG.. I wish I hadn't read that...poor doggie!

Ziggy looks like a very lively, and friendly dog. Is he/she a collie?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Ziggy looks like a very lively, and friendly dog. Is he/she a collie?

I believe she is an Australian Shepherd.

:previous: Thank you!

After King Edward VII's demise, his dog Caesar would not go near Queen Alexandra. Alexandra had taken a strong dislike to Caesar. The Queen was furious when a publisher issued a memoir of Edward VII, with Caesar's picture on the cover, entitled, "Where's Master?"

Princess Beatrix of The Netherlands with a pet dog on her thirteenth birthday.
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/160481384

Princess Mary of York with her dog
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-princess-marys-dog-1-56720404.html

Prince William of Great Britain with Lupo​

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I know this thread is about dogs, but, at the risk of somebody chucking something at my head (hehehehe), I must ask, which, if any, of the royals have cats?

Princess Aiko of Japan has a cat

Crown Prince Naruhito | Getty Images

Princess Michael is a well known cat lover as well

EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: Princess Michael of Kent goes batty for cat painting...but 'could never afford it' | Daily Mail Online

Princess Michael of Kent on cats, kings and the cub that stole her heart | Daily Mail Online

What a wonderful gallery of koala bear pictures! Its nice too that there are royals in them too. I absolutely adore those fuzzy little bears and do have a good sized stuffed koala bear that a friend brought me from Australia years ago.

Thank you so much for posting these. :D

ETA: Thanks for alerting me of the YouTube video you added with Charles and Camilla with the koalas. I'd love to actually have a koala but unfortunately, there's no eucalyptus trees to be found in my area. Animals are best left in their natural habitat when possible or with people that know and understand what is suited for the animal.

Last edited:
:previous: Aw, what a little cutie! He/she looks like a bichon frise. Does anyone know what their dog's name is or what gender it is if not?

Royal pets

Does anybody know if any royals have other pets besides dogs, cats or horses? We keep pet rats. It's how my husband and I met. They make wonderful pets, very engaging and clean, and they get on well with each other so you have more than one, unlike hamsters. We've got three girls, all different colours. I know Princess Diana had a pet guinea pig when she was a girl. I think he was called Peanuts. There is a famous picture of Diana with him.

There is Marvin, the Cambridge's hamster.

Sun Lion:
Thank you for posting all those great picture. Koalas are adorable! I've only seen them at the San Diego zoo and always there are oohs and aahs! I esapecially liked Prince Harry being handed what looked like a young one and Princess Victoria with her face on another. Who can resist animals!

There is Marvin, the Cambridge's hamster.

Oh yes, you are correct! I remember reading it at the time. Cute. I think keeping pets teaches kids kindness and responsibility. Of course I don't hold with parents who give the pets away if their children lose interest. What kind of lesson does that teach? The parents have to be prepared to step in and take over. I'm pretty sure that our two last rats were the pets of children who got bored with them, as their names were Elsa and Marshmallow like in the film Frozen.

Apple is adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL!! I very clearly remember seeing this photo when it was first published in a tabloid in the wake of Caroline 's separation from Philippe Junot over the caption "HE'S THE JEALOUS TYPE!":lol:

That was the early 80's, and poor Caroline was the focus of a paparazzi and tabloid onslaught that makes the current fixation on her daughter Charlotte seem like nothing.

:previous: I cant stop laughing looking at that photo. Not sure why it hit me so hard but something about it is hilarious. Maybe not if you were whoever the dog was aimed at.

Was it really her pet, or did they have like the guard dog in the car for some reason? He definitely didn't like the press either way.

:previous: He was definitely Caroline's dog Countessmeout. His name was "Onyx" if I remember correctly and he and Caroline were inseparable for a while after her divorce.

I cracked up laughing when I first saw the photo years ago and even now it still makes me laugh...I wish her daughter Charlotte could have her own Onyx today!:lol:;)

Last edited:
:previous: That is the most adorable photo that I have ever seen of the PoW!?

Royals and Cats

Hi, this is just about a little observation I've made but why aren't there any royals with pet cats? It's just that I'm a cat person and I'd just like to know why is it that any time I see a royal with a pet it's always a dog. Are cats just not popular or something? Why aren't there any cats?

-Frozen Royalist

Back
Top Bottom