The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules. Dogs are man's best friend and perhaps they are the royals best friend as well. Dogs can usually be trusted. Dogs will be there for you. Cats may or may not depending. You can talk to your dog and tell them anything and you will not read about it in the tabloid (unless of course someone overheards you talking to your dog and then that makes headlines).

I'm not a cat lover which explains my bias on this issue.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules. Dogs are man's best friend and perhaps they are the royals best friend as well. Dogs can usually be trusted. Dogs will be there for you. Cats may or may not depending. You can talk to your dog and tell them anything and you will not read about it in the tabloid (unless of course someone overheards you talking to your dog and then that makes headlines).

I'm not a cat lover which explains my bias on this issue.
Which explains the adage: Dogs think they're human. Cats KNOW they're gods.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules.
Or you could say that royals want to have someone they can boss over, as a dog always does as his/her owner wants, while cats have a will of their own and don't do things that they think are silly, unless they feel like doing something, like playing fetch with a stick.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

This is very true Meraude. A friend of mine has a cat that would without warning, scratch or bite someone for no reason. One time her cat came over to me, brushed its head against my foot and without warning bit me in the foot, looked at me in a defiant manner, and then ran away. A dog would rarely do that. A cat wouldn't care who you were, they would bite or scratch you.

Royals who are used to people and their pets obeying them probably wouldn't want to keep a cat who scratch them or bit them or didn't do what they wanted. It's also much easier to train a dog to obey than a cat who has a mind of their own.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Speaking of royals and pets I remember either reading or hearing a story about Queen Elizabeth being bitten in the hand by one of her cocker spaniels when the dogs were fighting with each other and she tried to break them up. This happened a long time ago I believe.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Majesty

I am a passionate lover of both dogs and cats...I adore them equally but don't have a dog because I live in an apartment and choose not to leave it alone all day while I work.

Instead I adopted two feral, motherless kittens six years ago. They are brother and sister. They are now fat, spoiled rotten and make a mess but I don't care...they give me much more emotionally than I give them.

On the day my mother died a couple of years ago I was almost catatonic with grief and didn't leave my bed all day. I didn't eat. I didn't answer the phone. I just lay there and cried and cried. My cats parked themselves on that bed, one at my feet and the other on the pillow next to me and they didn't leave not once. They didn't even meow for food.They just sat and watched over me quietly even after it fell dark.

Dogs are loyal, true companions who-along with horses have been associated with nobility for years, but cats are also loyal as well as independent...with amazing powers of empathy and perception.

The myth that they are disloyal is......just a myth.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week team Member

Empress Farah and her dog:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Photos of Lily, French buldog of Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg and Martin Jorgensen (and of Princes Nikolai and Felix, of course!):

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
Billed-Bladet - Se Nikolai og Felix

She is, imho, the SWEETEST of all royal dogs!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
In my opinion, all cats are treated like royalty regardless of who owns them! That is definitely the case with our cat!
Do we really own cats??? I don’t think so. I think they own us. I think they think they are the royals and we are their humble servants. And that is for me one of the reasons why I like them as much as I do.

In the book of Olivier Polet about the “Serres van Laken” there is a beautiful picture of a beautiful red cat.
And in the text they tell us that nobody knew where the cat came from. It just suddenly appeared. And it was there at all the receptions etc; it was probably the most petted cat by all royals and dignitaries

I like to be that cat for a while
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Prince Rainier did not like cats. He had plenty of dogs though.
His sister HSH Princess Antoinette of Monaco did,infact she loved all animals I believe and attended the annual St Francis Day pet blessing service in Monaco each year.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

How right you are !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
In my opinion, all cats are treated like royalty regardless of who owns them! That is definitely the case with our cat!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Aiko in Japan has a beloved cat !
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Courtier

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I just imagine my cat, Gus (who has great social skills, a muscular physique and a too-great need to "play") meeting the Corgies. OMG. Gus means well but he tends to greet other animals with a nose sniff followed by a full body take down - which he means very playfully as "Hi, I really like you!"

LOL. One on one - Gus would win but two on one - the Corgis would be king!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Serene Highness

Seems like most royals prefer dogs over cats. Dog are loyal to their masters and cats do their own thing. Royals like a pet that are loyal to them and who obeys them and gives them attention. Cats aren't really know for obeying their owners.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
Yes indeed. Our cat doesn't live with us; we live with him! Also he owns us, not the other way around.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Dogs think they're human. Cats KNOW they're gods.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Has anyone ever posted this from the HMS Vanguard when Elizabeth was 21: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/lif...s/your-life/#5

Nice kitty!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Admirer, when I clicked on that, all I got was a listing of links on their site. Any other way for me and the others to see this picture?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Admirer, when I clicked on that, all I got was a listing of links on their site. Any other way for me and the others to see this picture?
Try this - it will be the 4th picture. There is also a lovely top view of HM. Not to mention that the cat is spectacular!
Revealed: The unseen pictures of the Queen as a 21-year-old princess - Your Life - Lifestyle - Coventry Telegraph