Royals and Religion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KelliB

Gentry
City
Perth
Country
Australia
Religious Observances of the Royals

As Head of the Church of England we often see images of Elizabeth II attending Church. How does it work for other monarchs? Given that most are in their current positions "by the grace of God" do they attend weekly services? Do they belong to a parish? Do they attend services with members of the public?

I've changed the title of the thread to broaden the subject to include royals who are not of the Christian faith.

Also, please keep in mind our rules on religious discussion, located here and here:
Discussion of politics and religion is permitted only in association with the royal-related topics of the threads.

We allow discussion of politics and religion only in association with the royal-related topic of the thread. Posts straying into general discussions of politics or religion will be removed by a moderator because experience has shown that these topics are too contentious for this forum.

If you have any questions please PM a moderator.

Royal Chit Chat Moderators

Maybe they have weekly services in the palaces.. I don't know for sure. :)

The late Emperor of Vietnam used to attend Catholic Mass and Cao Dai services weekly both in Vietnam and in exile.

many palaces have chapels in them in which royals may worship. And for the Muslim monarchs, they pray five times a day, and probably have prayer mats around their palaces.

Most royals attend services on important holidays, such as Christmas, when we see the Norwiegian and British Royals, for example.

The Netherlands

In the Netherlands the religion of the Sovereign and of her family is a completely private matter. The Netherlands Constitution guarantees the Freedom of Faith and this stretches out to the person of the Sovereign as well.

Not much is known about their religious life. It is known that Queen Beatrix has a deep religiosity. She sometimes does attend services in the Cloister Church in The Hague, a very old mediaeval and sober building build in 1393.

The religious life of the other members of the royal family is even more private and invisible. So now and then the Prince of Orange and his catholic spouse Princess Máxima do attend a roman-catholic Mass, see picture.

The Prince of Orange invites a bible class at his villa to, every other month or so. Ds. C. ter Linden attends as well, as do some of the couples friends. At least that was what Ds. told himself in a tv-programme (I think one of RKK but I am not sure).

how about in japan? does the imperial family attend any shintoist/buddhist festivities often? does the emperor have to be the head of any shintoist/buddhist group?

tete said:
how about in japan? does the imperial family attend any shintoist/buddhist festivities often? does the emperor have to be the head of any shintoist/buddhist group?

The Emperor, the Empress and members of the Imperial family often are 'installed' in lengthy ancient Shinto rites which are fairly only known to the priests officiating these.

Remember the wedding of the Crown Prince with miss Masako Owada and remember the recent 'dedication' of Prince Hisahito to the Sun Goddess Ameratsu.

Can we have a little chat about who the "religious" royals are? I"ll leave the definition of religiosity up to you. King Baudouin comes to mind. Who else?

Cheers!

Lady Bluffton

Lady Bluffton said:
Can we have a little chat about who the "religious" royals are? I"ll leave the definition of religiosity up to you. King Baudouin comes to mind. Who else?

Cheers!

Lady Bluffton
HM Queen Elizabeth II is a staunch and orthodox Christian.

King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity
For example:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/dagmarnat/cris/cristinacristomedinacelli.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/dagmarnat/cris/cristinaholdingsaintsantiago.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/dagmarnat/cris/cristinakissingvirginsmantle.jpg

Infanta Cristina presenting her respects to:
(A) Christ of Medinacelli, Madrid
(B) Saint James the Greater, Compostela
(C) Virgen of la Mercé, Barcelona

(EFE)

You'll never see "Protestant" Royals doing this kind of thing because the foundations of the faiths are different, at least in what it comes to the adoration of saints and holy places

The Jordanian Royal Family are descendants of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and various members have been photographed performing Hajj or Umrah.

The other Arab Royals are all muslim and equally dedicated to their faith.

Bible Class with his fellow students

A few weeks ago there was a televized interview with the Court Chaplain, ds. C. ter Linden, who also officiated the wedding of Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima.

He told that already for 18 years or so, Prince Willem-Alexander still has monthly meetings with his fellow-students from Leyden University. He told that the Prince and his mates do read and study the Bible and tell to each other how they practize christian principles in their lives. The most special thing is that these once 20-24 year old guys all have become 38-42 years now and have witnessed each other careers, marriages, family lifes, happy and sad events, etc. and can discuss it. The most remarkable is that no one of these guys ever has been indiscreet.

The (roman-catholic) Princess Máxima has so now and then attended a meeting, but it seems to be a fairly 'men-only' occasion.

This is a quite not-known side of the Prince's personality. He attachs great importance to these meetings and he always makes time in his agenda for this Bible Class.

Last edited:
Henri: Thanks much for the information. This is the first I have heard of Prince Willem-Alexander's spiritual practice. :flowers:

HM Queen Elizabeth II is a staunch and orthodox Christian.
No she isn't. She's a staunch protestant.

We've removed some off topic posts. Lets stay on topic please.

Please keep in mind our rules on religious discussion, located here and here:

Discussion of politics and religion is permitted only in association with the royal-related topics of the threads.

We allow discussion of politics and religion only in association with the royal-related topic of the thread. Posts straying into general discussions of politics or religion will be removed by a moderator because experience has shown that these topics are too contentious for this forum.
If you have any questions please PM a moderator.

Thanks!
:)

Royal Chit Chat Moderators

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
No she isn't. She's a staunch protestant.

It seems to be becoming more and more common these days that devout Protestants are referred to as orthodox (please note the lowercase "o"). It isn't the same as Orthodox; it's just a way of saying that the person's faith is traditional rather than liberal or "new age" Christianity. I think Srivishnu was just saying that Her Majesty is a traditional Christian, unlike for example Prince Charles, who seems to have a hefty dollop of mysticism in his faith.

Last edited:
One question: is there any royal who's an atheist or doesn't belong to a particular religion?

In my mind the concepts of religion and royalty have always been linked:rolleyes:

Elspeth said:
It seems to be becoming more and more common these days that devout Protestants are referred to as orthodox (please note the lowercase "o"). It isn't the same as Orthodox; it's just a way of saying that the person's faith is traditional rather than liberal or "new age" Christianity.

I think it's better to call them old-fashioned or old-school Protestants than Ortodox to stop the confusion about those terms.
QEII is a very old-fashioned Protestant, very pious on her ways

I don't know of any European monarch who's atheist; however, we don't know what an outwardly religious person might really believe. If a monarch has to be a member of a particular church in order to be monarch, then the chances are that s/he will give the appearance of being a believer whether that's really the case or not.

Elspeth said:
I don't know of any European monarch who's atheist; however, we don't know what an outwardly religious person might really believe. If a monarch has to be a member of a particular church in order to be monarch, then the chances are that s/he will give the appearance of being a believer whether that's really the case or not.

you are right Elspeth, maybe my question should be redirected to "whose royals don't belong to any particular religion";)

Little_star said:
The Jordanian Royal Family are descendants of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and various members have been photographed performing Hajj or Umrah.

The other Arab Royals are all muslim and equally dedicated to their faith.
The Perlis Royal Family from Malaysia is also a descendant of Prophet Muhammad.

Last edited:
srivishnu said:
The Perlis Royal Family from Malaysia is also a decendant of Prophet Muhammad.

as the royal dynasty of Morocco. The King is in Morocco also the Amir al Mu'minin, the Commander of the Faithful or Leader of the Believers.

The British Royals are also descendants of the Prophet - I think through Edward 1's wife.

Interesting, eh?

To which prophet Lord of Cowley?

I've heard or read one day that Princess Letizia was an atheist before she met Prince Felipe ...Does someone know more about it ?

Catholics (unlike Protestants) do venerate (not "adorate") saints and holy places, but only the Holy Trinity is the object of adoration.

But, IMHO, it's not a question of being "more open". :)

crisiñaki said:
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity

You'll never see "Protestant" Royals doing this kind of thing because the foundations of the faiths are different, at least in what it comes to the adoration of saints and holy places

Mari_* said:
To which prophet Lord of Cowley?

The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of Islam. There are claims that Eleanor of Castile, the wife of Edward I, was descended from the Prophet, although I don't know how much verification there is for the claims.

Wow, that's interesting!

Thanks Elspeth! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom