The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Nobility

Queen Sofia grew up in a deeply Orthodox family. Her conversion to Catholism was very difficult - both churches and countries (lets not forget Spain was ruled by Franco and there was not separation between Church and State) made her marriage to Juan Carlos almost impossible. In the Pilar Urbano's book, QS candidily tells how much she learnt from the experience - she learnt not to be intolerant.

I think that away from her Greek Orthodox early days, QS is much more interested in spirituality than being a catholic or christian per se today. She recognised in the Urbano's book the influence that her sister Irene has had in her life (for those interested about Irene, there is a good thread about her life and beliefs in the Greek Royal Family thread)

I would say Fabiola, Maria Teresa and Queen Elizabeth are what I consider deeply religious. The first two because they've openly said so, and QEII as she's, after all, the Head of the Anglican Church. She better be.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Nobility

From what I've read, Queen Elizabeth is devout. What about the other members of the British Royal Family? Are William and Harry religious? I would assume, at their age, they are not too devout.

Of course, the Habsburgs tend to be devout. What about Georg Friedrich of Prussia?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Littrell View Post
so MT and future Mrs Guillaume will be the most religious to me :)
Isn't Guillaume single?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen121419 View Post
I would say Fabiola, Mathilde, Maria Teresa, and Sofia all seem very religious to me.
Queen Fabiola,the Duchess of Kent,Queen Sofia of Spain,Queen Elizabeth II all seem quite religious.

I don't know about members of the Dutch Royal Family but they seem to be the least religious European Royals?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

And Norwegian too.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

As to Queen Elizabeth II, I think she is probably the most devout person in the British Royal Family.
It's the combination of Faith and State - and she has managed both very well.
Before my C of E ordination, I had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to her. She is the Defender of the Faith (as well as a Head of State).
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM

King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
As to Queen Elizabeth II, I think she is probably the most devout person in the British Royal Family.
It's the combination of Faith and State - and she has managed both very well.
Before my C of E ordination, I had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to her. She is the Defender of the Faith (as well as a Head of State).
It's probably no mistake that she is the member of the BRF that I like and admire most. I wish she could reign forever!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

There are a lot of us feel that way !! Many would love the Queen to outlive Charlie !!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Don't get me wrong...I am not an anti-Charles person. But I love the Queen, her stability, her sense of dignity and fairness. I love that she never publically whines or complains. I admire her courage. She just forges ahead no matter what life throws at her.

I cannot imagine Camilla taking her place as Queen. I simply can't.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Isn't Guillaume single?
he is
but he is super religious so I expect him to marry someone with the same interests
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Nobility

I also read something to that effect early on their engagement; but it appears that she must have regained her faith (which hopefully is the case) or has adjusted well to the many religious ceremonies the royals must attend. The Spanish royals are very Catholics and I have a feeling that Don Felipe is a religious man.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Z_LtA...incess+Letizia
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Swuvp...incess+Letizia
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...18.html#s78536

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I have the same feeling danishla. I wonder if they go to mass every sunday.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Don't get me wrong...I am not an anti-Charles person. But I love the Queen, her stability, her sense of dignity and fairness. I love that she never publically whines or complains. I admire her courage. She just forges ahead no matter what life throws at her.

I cannot imagine Camilla taking her place as Queen. I simply can't.

But Camilla won't be taking the place of The Queen. She will be replacing Philip - the consort.

Charles will be replacing The Queen.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Majesty

I understand Iluvbertie...I know that she will be Consort.

But she will STILL be Queen, if Charles becomes King.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwaforem View Post
King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity
Oh yeah, I forgot about Baudouin. Add him to my list.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I understand Iluvbertie...I know that she will be Consort.

But she will STILL be Queen, if Charles becomes King.
But you said that she would be replacing the Queen when she won't be replacing the Queen as that job will be Charles'. Camilla will be replacing Philip and using maybe the title of Queen or possibly Princess - we wait and see.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Commoner

I just learned in May about the wearing of white ( rather than black) in the presence of the Pope by the Queens of Belgium and Spain and the Grand Duchy of Luxemboug because those countries are titled "the Most Catholic King/Queen of Belgium/Spain/ Luxembourg". All other Catholic "Houses" must still wear black ( Monaco for example). So I would guess that those would be very religious, as would any Protestant monarch who is a Head of the Church.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of Islam. There are claims that Eleanor of Castile, the wife of Edward I, was descended from the Prophet, although I don't know how much verification there is for the claims.
i have always found this fascinating there are many noble Spanish families who's ancestors were originally Muslims.
during al-Andalus and or were Muslim mercenaries hired by Christians during the reconquest and converted to Catholicism over time covering their Muslim roots Guzman el bueno the hero of the reconquest the founder of the Dukes of medina sidonia was a muslim so its quite possible that Elinore of Castile could have Muslim roots
Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Mommabee I found that out when the current Pope was enthroned.
The three "white queens" were there, and Albert was there also, but in black.