Royals and Religion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Elizabeth II is a devout orthodox Anglican (Church of England) and only misses a weekly service if unwell.

Does anyone know if she is always joined by Prince Philip?

----
2. Besides the Swedish Royal Family, which other royal families are/have been Evangelical Lutherans? I believe some of the Prussian royals too.
Yes, the Danish Royal Family :flowers:
In DK QMII is considered a religious monarch, so is CP Frederik.

How religious is Queen Margrethe? She seemed to have memorized the words to some of the songs at Isabella's christening, so I just wondered
In DK QMII is considered a religious queen.

Though, the fact Mary became a Lutheran does little to inform me of her personal ideology. It does however exhibit a regard and understanding for what is required of her position, and of course, herself I'm sure.
I´m not sure that CPss Mary had to became lutheran upon the marriage to CP Frederik :ermm: I know that Countess Alexandra is a convert, as are Prince Henrik.
But I´m not so sure about CPss Mary. I think she´s still Presbyterian... IIRC then she have had biblestudy with Bishop Erik Normann-Svendsen, but she didn´t convert...

In DK QMII is considered a religious queen.

I´m not sure that CPss Mary had to became lutheran upon the marriage to CP Frederik :ermm: I know that Countess Alexandra is a convert, as are Prince Henrik.
But I´m not so sure about CPss Mary. I think she´s still Presbyterian... IIRC then she have had biblestudy with Bishop Erik Normann-Svendsen, but she didn´t convert...

You don't actually convert from Presbyterianism to Lutheranism, because the two church bodies agree on most dogmas and practices! The main difference is in the organisation of the churches!
As far as I remember, Mary was informed of the Danish Evangelical-Lutheran church by bishop Erik Norman Svendsen, and my best guess is that she became a member of Church of Denmark once she became a Danish citizen! AFAIK you're correct, Faster B. that she could have remained a Presbyterian, but there's no recent tradition that 'imports' are sticking to their religious guns once married.
Alexandra Manley was confirmed into the Lutheran faith! It's not that the Lutherans and Anglicans are that different, but they're different in so far that the Lutheran church is often an unknown minority church in places where the Anglican Church is dominant.

Viv

Last edited:
I recall having read that Madame, Elisabeth Charlotte of Orleans (Liselotte von der Pfalz) wrote in a letter about the daily mass at the Court of Louis XIV. that it was nice to see everyone in their finery and being oggled by the whole court while noone dared to comment on what they saw during the religious ceremony.

Maria-Theresia of Austria who worked hard on reigning her inherited lands, was known to enjoy the daily mass because it was a time noone could approach her with something, so she got time to think.

Does sound more pragmatic than religious to me...

I would say Fabiola, Mathilde, Maria Teresa, and Sofia all seem very religious to me.

I think Luxembourg RF is super religious! I've heard some of family members attend Mass every day... so MT and future Mrs Guillaume will be the most religious to me :)

Queen Sofia grew up in a deeply Orthodox family. Her conversion to Catholism was very difficult - both churches and countries (lets not forget Spain was ruled by Franco and there was not separation between Church and State) made her marriage to Juan Carlos almost impossible. In the Pilar Urbano's book, QS candidily tells how much she learnt from the experience - she learnt not to be intolerant.

I think that away from her Greek Orthodox early days, QS is much more interested in spirituality than being a catholic or christian per se today. She recognised in the Urbano's book the influence that her sister Irene has had in her life (for those interested about Irene, there is a good thread about her life and beliefs in the Greek Royal Family thread)

I would say Fabiola, Maria Teresa and Queen Elizabeth are what I consider deeply religious. The first two because they've openly said so, and QEII as she's, after all, the Head of the Anglican Church. She better be. ;)

Last edited:
From what I've read, Queen Elizabeth is devout. What about the other members of the British Royal Family? Are William and Harry religious? I would assume, at their age, they are not too devout.

Of course, the Habsburgs tend to be devout. What about Georg Friedrich of Prussia?

I would say Fabiola, Mathilde, Maria Teresa, and Sofia all seem very religious to me.

Queen Fabiola,the Duchess of Kent,Queen Sofia of Spain,Queen Elizabeth II all seem quite religious.

I don't know about members of the Dutch Royal Family but they seem to be the least religious European Royals?

As to Queen Elizabeth II, I think she is probably the most devout person in the British Royal Family.
It's the combination of Faith and State - and she has managed both very well.
Before my C of E ordination, I had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to her. She is the Defender of the Faith (as well as a Head of State).

King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity

As to Queen Elizabeth II, I think she is probably the most devout person in the British Royal Family.
It's the combination of Faith and State - and she has managed both very well.
Before my C of E ordination, I had to swear the Oath of Allegiance to her. She is the Defender of the Faith (as well as a Head of State).

It's probably no mistake that she is the member of the BRF that I like and admire most. I wish she could reign forever!:whistling:

There are a lot of us feel that way !! Many would love the Queen to outlive Charlie !!!

Don't get me wrong...I am not an anti-Charles person. But I love the Queen, her stability, her sense of dignity and fairness. I love that she never publically whines or complains. I admire her courage. She just forges ahead no matter what life throws at her.

I cannot imagine Camilla taking her place as Queen. I simply can't.

I also read something to that effect early on their engagement; but it appears that she must have regained her faith (which hopefully is the case) or has adjusted well to the many religious ceremonies the royals must attend. The Spanish royals are very Catholics and I have a feeling that Don Felipe is a religious man.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Z_Lt...on+Mass+Ceremony/OiZAF9RVDru/Princess+Letizia
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Swuv...go+de+Compostela/pGwHH4deHbQ/Princess+Letizia
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/princess-letizia-attends_n_525118.html#s78536

Last edited:
I have the same feeling danishla. I wonder if they go to mass every sunday.

Don't get me wrong...I am not an anti-Charles person. But I love the Queen, her stability, her sense of dignity and fairness. I love that she never publically whines or complains. I admire her courage. She just forges ahead no matter what life throws at her.

I cannot imagine Camilla taking her place as Queen. I simply can't.

But Camilla won't be taking the place of The Queen. She will be replacing Philip - the consort.

Charles will be replacing The Queen.

I understand Iluvbertie...I know that she will be Consort.

But she will STILL be Queen, if Charles becomes King.

King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz of Belgium
Usually the "Catholic" Monarchies like Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco are more "open" in religiosity

Oh yeah, I forgot about Baudouin. Add him to my list.

I understand Iluvbertie...I know that she will be Consort.

But she will STILL be Queen, if Charles becomes King.

But you said that she would be replacing the Queen when she won't be replacing the Queen as that job will be Charles'. Camilla will be replacing Philip and using maybe the title of Queen or possibly Princess - we wait and see.

I just learned in May about the wearing of white ( rather than black) in the presence of the Pope by the Queens of Belgium and Spain and the Grand Duchy of Luxemboug because those countries are titled "the Most Catholic King/Queen of Belgium/Spain/ Luxembourg". All other Catholic "Houses" must still wear black ( Monaco for example). So I would guess that those would be very religious, as would any Protestant monarch who is a Head of the Church.

The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of Islam. There are claims that Eleanor of Castile, the wife of Edward I, was descended from the Prophet, although I don't know how much verification there is for the claims.

i have always found this fascinating there are many noble Spanish families who's ancestors were originally Muslims.
during al-Andalus and or were Muslim mercenaries hired by Christians during the reconquest and converted to Catholicism over time covering their Muslim roots Guzman el bueno the hero of the reconquest the founder of the Dukes of medina sidonia was a muslim [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT] so its quite possible that Elinore of Castile could have Muslim roots

Mommabee I found that out when the current Pope was enthroned.
The three "white queens" were there, and Albert was there also, but in black.

Does anyone know if there are many members of any reigning royal household who are atheists or agnostics?
I can imagine that would be a hard thing for any royal to admit, especially in the UK when the King or Queen has for centuries taken the role of supreme head of the Church of England and when historically the role of a monarch has been linked to the idea of the 'Divine Right of Kings'.

I can't imagine the likes of William and Harry being as religious as their grandparents but I do wonder if anyone became King or Queen of the United Kingdom (or any other country where religion has a certain political hold on the country) and they didn't believe in that religion or had never really considered it or taken an interest, would they still (out of duty) want to become head of the church?

Who has the right to be a "white" King/Queen I suppose is also a matter of culture and tradition. With no disrespect to Queen Paola, she is perhaps not the poster child for a devout catholic lifestyle, but that is OK, because I believe that ones religious believes are personal. It is not a competition.

Changing religion/faith upon marriage

It's not uncommon that a royal has to change his/her faith upon marriage, especially in countries which has a state church etc. I know that CP Mary of Denmark did, and those marrying the Greek princes has changed. In this regard I've had a discussion with a colleague. She claims that Queen Rania of Jordan was Christian before marrying. I don't think so, but my colleague and I are both head strong :) Anyone know? And if so, are there any trustworthy websites which I can provide as "proof"?

Back
Top Bottom