Royals and Their Pets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Antoinette of Monaco is a real cat lover. She uses her house as a shelter for abandonned cats.

Perhaps it's not that the Royals don't like cats, as much as it is that the media doesn't like cats. Photographers probably have a much easier time getting royal dogs to sit with their owners. (My non-royal cats very rarely sit still when I want them to.)

Almost every family in the White House has a dog, but there have been very few reported cats (Socks Clinton and ___ Ford, a Siamese) during my lifetime.

We need to add Princess Marie's dog APPLE, and Joachim's Cocker Spaniel puppy.

Royals and their dogs

i dont know if there is already a thread for this but Hello magazine have a picture galery of royals and their dogs

Gallery

any other royals who love dogs ?

well within the British Royal Family two that spring to mind are Princesses Anne and Beatrice, Anne with her Bull Terriers and Beatrice with her Norfolk Terrier

Lovely photo of Queen Elizabeth, then princess, with her dog 1936
Corbis
The queen Mother with prince Charles and a dog
Corbis
King Harald, then prince, with his dog 1944
Corbis
Princess Lilian with her dog
Corbis
Prince Rainier 1986
Corbis
Princess Caroline 1979
Corbis

i dont know if there is already a thread for this but Hello magazine have a picture galery of royals and their dogs

Gallery

any other royals who love dogs ?
Thank you so much for the pics. I don't know why it is but a dog just makes a royal look that much more ordinary, normal, or maybe approachable. :flowers:

I know that Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie-Chantal of Greece have a dog. There is a photo taken in their home in Connecticut where Marie-Chantal is feeding the dog. I will try to find it. I love seeing photos of royals with their animals. They are so warm and sweet.

Princess Marie of Denmark is often seen with her dog, Apple, a Bichon-Frise.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/...?action=view&current=PDI_20060317_6907148.jpg (from Kinga777 in Joachim and Marie forum)

http://www.ipapress.com/aspx/report...olor=&txtBusCache=&pagina=3&imagenesPagina=20 (scroll down to see Apple)

Last edited:
Prince Henrik of Denmark loves dachshunds, and they are seen frequently with him and the Queen.

I saw a recent photo of Queen Paola walking her dog at Laeken.

And the Japanese Crown Prince and family keep at least one Shiba Inu, recently photographed.

It seems most royals have dogs, but Princess Michael is the only cat-lover I know of.

What a nice thread, I adore cats and own 7 gorgeous kitties at the moment (5 of them were stray cats).

Queen Alexandra of Great Britain loved all sorts of animals and owned some cats too! Here's a lovely picture of her and her cat:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I think that the European monarchies choose dogs because they are more synonymous of loyalty and faithful.
The loyalty is a element identifier of the monarchies, however the cats are less faithful, they are more unfaithful than dogs ..

I think that a cat is unfaithful is a kind of clichée. As I said most of my cats are stray cats, but since they're tamed they would lie the whole day on my lap if I wouldn't send them out in the garden. And my siamese male cat likes to go for a walk trough the whole city with me, just like a dog (and that without a lead :D).

I think its maybe like Iowabelle said, a cat is difficult to sit for a photoshoot. Plus a dog is good for outdoor-activities (for example the BRF can take them to the huntings) and Royals haven't much time, but a dog you can take with you nearly everywhere you want, what makes it easier to spend time with him.

I read in the newspaper that the difference between a dog and a cat, the dog is by nature has the power to obey, for it can be taught to do many things, bring the newspaper .... and cats do not have, power to obey by nature, it makes it more difficult to teach things

You're right, Beltraneja. :) Its hard to teach a cat to do, what you want. The question is, if it is "the power" to obey. They just see no reason to bring the newspaper. :D I myself don't want to teach a animal to do anything it wouldn't do of his own free will... Maybe thats the difference between cat- and dog-lovers. Cats seem to have their own head, dogs follow their owner.

Queen Elizabeth, then Princess, was given a valuable Siamese kitten from Thailand as a wedding present. The Queen doesn't like cats and the kitten was given to a cook at Buckingham Palace. This anecdote came from author Sarah Bradford in her book about the Queen.

I think E2's Siamese kitten was mentioned in post 11. IMO it's not a good gift to give someone a kitten, particularly if they're not fans of cats. Cats do require alot of commitment. Hopefully kitty had a good life with the cook.

I think cats can be a good gift if someone likes them, one can learn a lot from them while just watching them. But Siameses aren't everyones cup of tea.

Cats haven't been bred over many years to be obedient companions like dogs have. So they have maintained their independent nature. But that independence can be a plus if you don't have a lot of time to give to a pet. I love cats. :cat:

Oh, I was replying to the #11 post when it was wondered what happened to the kitten.:flowers:

Siamese are extremely strong-willed and protective. My parents used to keep them (3 over the course of their marriage). The first one they had used to fight my father every night when he came home from work. This particular cat's mother was a swimmer and used to swim with her family's children in a pool.

The last cat, the one I remember best, used to roll his ears back, puff his tail and bounce off the walls. Not a pet to everyone's taste, but we liked them.

I read in the newspaper that the difference between a dog and a cat, the dog is by nature has the power to obey, for it can be taught to do many things, bring the newspaper .... and cats do not have, power to obey by nature, it makes it more difficult to teach things

Yes and they also sharpen their claws on the couch, are notoriously fussy eaters, malt everywhere, climb on the furniture and knock precious items off shelves and cry to go out and hunt at 2am.

I think that the European monarchies choose dogs because they are more synonymous of loyalty and faithful.
The loyalty is a element identifier of the monarchies, however the cats are less faithful, they are more unfaithful than dogs ..

It’s not true that cats would be more unfaithful than dogs. Unfortunately,this is a sad stereotypy in Europe. You have to deserve a cat’s love. Cats were always holy animals in Egypt and Asia and have numerous good qualities. Cats are basically predators and as predator can’t be controlled anytime. They were domesticated later than dogs. This is the reason why cat can’t be "broke in” easily. Dog obeys anyone who give food them but not cat. Cats can take care of themselves, very intelligent and clean animals who don’t submit anyone than dogs. You have to fight for a cat’s love but the result is unsurpassable. Cats are loyal only one owner, they feel and select who will be the perfect owner for them. A Cat is more tolarent than a dog who claims resilience.
No wonder that the most big artists in the world prefered to choose cat than dog.

Lighthouse I take it you don't like cats. :lol: My cats never did those things. Providing a scratching post will stop them from clawing the furniture. Cats are so affectionate though and they are very playful even after kittenhood as long as you don't stop playing with them.
That's true about them being highly honored in certain cultures Guido. The Egyptians even mummified and buried them with their owners.

My boy cat, Flower, is extremely faithful to me. We were separated, unfortunately, at one point in time and he hid but stayed close to home, knowing that I would come looking for him. My girl cat, Belle, is very independent. But an independence of spirit doesn't mean unloving. They are excellent companions and I am rarely without one or both of them. I think of them as angels without wings... But I like dogs too.

I like dogs, but I've always had cats. They just seem so cool to me. I don't have any problems with clawing. I do think that cats get a bad wrap in history and also now. In movies and such the cat is always the villian and that's not helping the image.

I am a cat person so I think this thread is a good idea.:flowers: It's true that it seems rare to see royals with cats.

Back
Top Bottom