The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Siamese are extremely strong-willed and protective. My parents used to keep them (3 over the course of their marriage). The first one they had used to fight my father every night when he came home from work. This particular cat's mother was a swimmer and used to swim with her family's children in a pool.

The last cat, the one I remember best, used to roll his ears back, puff his tail and bounce off the walls. Not a pet to everyone's taste, but we liked them.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
I read in the newspaper that the difference between a dog and a cat, the dog is by nature has the power to obey, for it can be taught to do many things, bring the newspaper .... and cats do not have, power to obey by nature, it makes it more difficult to teach things
Yes and they also sharpen their claws on the couch, are notoriously fussy eaters, malt everywhere, climb on the furniture and knock precious items off shelves and cry to go out and hunt at 2am.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELTRANEJA View Post
I think that the European monarchies choose dogs because they are more synonymous of loyalty and faithful.
The loyalty is a element identifier of the monarchies, however the cats are less faithful, they are more unfaithful than dogs ..

It’s not true that cats would be more unfaithful than dogs. Unfortunately,this is a sad stereotypy in Europe. You have to deserve a cat’s love. Cats were always holy animals in Egypt and Asia and have numerous good qualities. Cats are basically predators and as predator can’t be controlled anytime. They were domesticated later than dogs. This is the reason why cat can’t be "broke in” easily. Dog obeys anyone who give food them but not cat. Cats can take care of themselves, very intelligent and clean animals who don’t submit anyone than dogs. You have to fight for a cat’s love but the result is unsurpassable. Cats are loyal only one owner, they feel and select who will be the perfect owner for them. A Cat is more tolarent than a dog who claims resilience.
No wonder that the most big artists in the world prefered to choose cat than dog.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lighthouse I take it you don't like cats. My cats never did those things. Providing a scratching post will stop them from clawing the furniture. Cats are so affectionate though and they are very playful even after kittenhood as long as you don't stop playing with them.
That's true about them being highly honored in certain cultures Guido. The Egyptians even mummified and buried them with their owners.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

My boy cat, Flower, is extremely faithful to me. We were separated, unfortunately, at one point in time and he hid but stayed close to home, knowing that I would come looking for him. My girl cat, Belle, is very independent. But an independence of spirit doesn't mean unloving. They are excellent companions and I am rarely without one or both of them. I think of them as angels without wings... But I like dogs too.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I like dogs, but I've always had cats. They just seem so cool to me. I don't have any problems with clawing. I do think that cats get a bad wrap in history and also now. In movies and such the cat is always the villian and that's not helping the image.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Serene Highness

I am a cat person so I think this thread is a good idea. It's true that it seems rare to see royals with cats.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Yes and they also sharpen their claws on the couch, are notoriously fussy eaters, malt everywhere, climb on the furniture and knock precious items off shelves and cry to go out and hunt at 2am.
Uhh, dogs aren't without their faults either. And I'm not sure what you mean by a cat crying to go out and hunt at 2am...I've never had a cat do that, nor one that hunts. I have however had a dog that barks and scratches on the door at 2am because it needs to relieve itself. Dogs also are notorious for drooling and barking, and depending on the type of dog, the barking can be downright annoying. I have a neighbor who has a little dog that whenever it's outside, it barks NON-STOP and it makes me want to scream!

Anyway, I'm sure more royals than we might think have cats, but the fact is, most people who have cats as pets keep them indoors, so the media may not even know about it.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I've had cats all of my life, and I've never had a cat cry to go out in the middle of the night. If you keep them indoors, spay and neuter them, this behaviour won't present itself. Yes, they climb on the furniture, but they can be trained to not do this. Also, scratching posts will keep the kitty from clawing the couch. I've had both dogs and cats, and I think they are wonderful companions. You just have to provide a good home and work with them, and they will most often behave themselves. I think that the reason we don't know much about royals and cats is because cats are often kept indoors and not taken for walks. I have heard that Princess Michael of Kent is a cat-lover.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Mary of Denmark, Laura Neighbor, Miley Cyrus, Ana de Armas, Blake Lively ... Do you know your best friends?
Mary de Dinamarca, Laura Vecino, Miley Cyrus, Ana de Armas, Blake Lively? ¿Conoces a sus mejores amigos?

Google Google Translate
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

royals and their pets

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008659...ongeligeKLedyr
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

Sooo Nice Pets , I Really Liked Them , Thanx For Posting polyesco
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Prince Hashim and his dog:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...46968121_n.jpg

zohrab
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

http://www.globalanimal.org/wp-conte...oriaAlbert.jpg queen victoria and prince albert with vicky and four of the royal dogs named Eos, Islay, Cairnach and Dandie Dinmont
http://www.globalanimal.org/wp-conte.../EdwardVII.jpg king edward vii and his dog Caesar who outlived the king and walked behind his coffin
http://rita314.files.wordpress.com/2...orgi.jpg?w=450 and queen elizabeth at 10 years old with her first corgi
Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules. Dogs are man's best friend and perhaps they are the royals best friend as well. Dogs can usually be trusted. Dogs will be there for you. Cats may or may not depending. You can talk to your dog and tell them anything and you will not read about it in the tabloid (unless of course someone overheards you talking to your dog and then that makes headlines).

I'm not a cat lover which explains my bias on this issue.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules. Dogs are man's best friend and perhaps they are the royals best friend as well. Dogs can usually be trusted. Dogs will be there for you. Cats may or may not depending. You can talk to your dog and tell them anything and you will not read about it in the tabloid (unless of course someone overheards you talking to your dog and then that makes headlines).

I'm not a cat lover which explains my bias on this issue.
Which explains the adage: Dogs think they're human. Cats KNOW they're gods.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Perhaps royals prefer dogs to cats because dogs are loyal to their owners. Cats aren't and they don't play by any rules.
Or you could say that royals want to have someone they can boss over, as a dog always does as his/her owner wants, while cats have a will of their own and don't do things that they think are silly, unless they feel like doing something, like playing fetch with a stick.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

This is very true Meraude. A friend of mine has a cat that would without warning, scratch or bite someone for no reason. One time her cat came over to me, brushed its head against my foot and without warning bit me in the foot, looked at me in a defiant manner, and then ran away. A dog would rarely do that. A cat wouldn't care who you were, they would bite or scratch you.

Royals who are used to people and their pets obeying them probably wouldn't want to keep a cat who scratch them or bit them or didn't do what they wanted. It's also much easier to train a dog to obey than a cat who has a mind of their own.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Speaking of royals and pets I remember either reading or hearing a story about Queen Elizabeth being bitten in the hand by one of her cocker spaniels when the dogs were fighting with each other and she tried to break them up. This happened a long time ago I believe.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I am a passionate lover of both dogs and cats...I adore them equally but don't have a dog because I live in an apartment and choose not to leave it alone all day while I work.

Instead I adopted two feral, motherless kittens six years ago. They are brother and sister. They are now fat, spoiled rotten and make a mess but I don't care...they give me much more emotionally than I give them.

On the day my mother died a couple of years ago I was almost catatonic with grief and didn't leave my bed all day. I didn't eat. I didn't answer the phone. I just lay there and cried and cried. My cats parked themselves on that bed, one at my feet and the other on the pillow next to me and they didn't leave not once. They didn't even meow for food.They just sat and watched over me quietly even after it fell dark.

Dogs are loyal, true companions who-along with horses have been associated with nobility for years, but cats are also loyal as well as independent...with amazing powers of empathy and perception.

The myth that they are disloyal is......just a myth.