The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Princess Antoinette of Monaco is a real cat lover. She uses her house as a shelter for abandonned cats.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Perhaps it's not that the Royals don't like cats, as much as it is that the media doesn't like cats. Photographers probably have a much easier time getting royal dogs to sit with their owners. (My non-royal cats very rarely sit still when I want them to.)

Almost every family in the White House has a dog, but there have been very few reported cats (Socks Clinton and ___ Ford, a Siamese) during my lifetime.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Royals and their dogs

i dont know if there is already a thread for this but Hello magazine have a picture galery of royals and their dogs

Gallery

any other royals who love dogs ?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM

well within the British Royal Family two that spring to mind are Princesses Anne and Beatrice, Anne with her Bull Terriers and Beatrice with her Norfolk Terrier
Old 04-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Lovely photo of Queen Elizabeth, then princess, with her dog 1936
Corbis
The queen Mother with prince Charles and a dog
Corbis
King Harald, then prince, with his dog 1944
Corbis
Princess Lilian with her dog
Corbis
Prince Rainier 1986
Corbis
Princess Caroline 1979
Corbis
Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
i dont know if there is already a thread for this but Hello magazine have a picture galery of royals and their dogs

Gallery

any other royals who love dogs ?
Thank you so much for the pics. I don't know why it is but a dog just makes a royal look that much more ordinary, normal, or maybe approachable.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I know that Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie-Chantal of Greece have a dog. There is a photo taken in their home in Connecticut where Marie-Chantal is feeding the dog. I will try to find it. I love seeing photos of royals with their animals. They are so warm and sweet.

Princess Marie of Denmark is often seen with her dog, Apple, a Bichon-Frise.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...17_6907148.jpg (from Kinga777 in Joachim and Marie forum)

http://www.ipapress.com/aspx/reporta...genesPagina=20 (scroll down to see Apple)
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Henrik of Denmark loves dachshunds, and they are seen frequently with him and the Queen.

I saw a recent photo of Queen Paola walking her dog at Laeken.

And the Japanese Crown Prince and family keep at least one Shiba Inu, recently photographed.

It seems most royals have dogs, but Princess Michael is the only cat-lover I know of.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

What a nice thread, I adore cats and own 7 gorgeous kitties at the moment (5 of them were stray cats).

Queen Alexandra of Great Britain loved all sorts of animals and owned some cats too! Here's a lovely picture of her and her cat:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

I think that the European monarchies choose dogs because they are more synonymous of loyalty and faithful.
The loyalty is a element identifier of the monarchies, however the cats are less faithful, they are more unfaithful than dogs ..
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
What a nice thread, I adore cats and own 7 gorgeous kitties at the moment (5 of them were stray cats).

Queen Alexandra of Great Britain loved all sorts of animals and owned some cats too! Here's a lovely picture of her and her cat:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
What a cute picture of Queen Alexandra and her kitty.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think that a cat is unfaithful is a kind of clichée. As I said most of my cats are stray cats, but since they're tamed they would lie the whole day on my lap if I wouldn't send them out in the garden. And my siamese male cat likes to go for a walk trough the whole city with me, just like a dog (and that without a lead ).

I think its maybe like Iowabelle said, a cat is difficult to sit for a photoshoot. Plus a dog is good for outdoor-activities (for example the BRF can take them to the huntings) and Royals haven't much time, but a dog you can take with you nearly everywhere you want, what makes it easier to spend time with him.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness

I read in the newspaper that the difference between a dog and a cat, the dog is by nature has the power to obey, for it can be taught to do many things, bring the newspaper .... and cats do not have, power to obey by nature, it makes it more difficult to teach things
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

You're right, Beltraneja. Its hard to teach a cat to do, what you want. The question is, if it is "the power" to obey. They just see no reason to bring the newspaper. I myself don't want to teach a animal to do anything it wouldn't do of his own free will... Maybe thats the difference between cat- and dog-lovers. Cats seem to have their own head, dogs follow their owner.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I don't know if she's a cat lover, but I found this pic of Queen Margrethe today

http://pro.corbis.com/images/U150035...4-d951d81f21ee
Old 10-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Queen Elizabeth, then Princess, was given a valuable Siamese kitten from Thailand as a wedding present. The Queen doesn't like cats and the kitten was given to a cook at Buckingham Palace. This anecdote came from author Sarah Bradford in her book about the Queen.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

I think E2's Siamese kitten was mentioned in post 11. IMO it's not a good gift to give someone a kitten, particularly if they're not fans of cats. Cats do require alot of commitment. Hopefully kitty had a good life with the cook.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Aristocracy

I think cats can be a good gift if someone likes them, one can learn a lot from them while just watching them. But Siameses aren't everyones cup of tea.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cats haven't been bred over many years to be obedient companions like dogs have. So they have maintained their independent nature. But that independence can be a plus if you don't have a lot of time to give to a pet. I love cats.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Oh, I was replying to the #11 post when it was wondered what happened to the kitten.