Royals and Charity Work - Quality and Quantity

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: The Duchess of Cambridge did some volunteering with the Scouts. That was very beneficial. Hope to see more of that from her, and her husband.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Didn't wprince William sleep one night on the street with homeless people when being engaged with Centerpoint?

The personal letters the royals send are in their own words. Sometimes, the letters are typed by their private secretary, but are signed and dated by the royals themselves. There are times when the letters are just in they're own hand writing. The letters that are sent to their many fans are correspondents from the press office.

Very early on, Diana wrote many of her own letters. She was a letter writer, but sometimes her letters were typed.

I think I would prefer typed, only because it's not easy to understand the royals handwriting. Then again, it's special to have a member of the royal family hand written letter.

Last edited:
Sadly most of Anne's visits don't get the coverage - and nor does anyone outside of William and Kate - which suggests that having a royal as a patron isn't all that important in raising the profile of the charity as there isn't the press/media coverage at all.

It depends on the royal patron.

Naturally an event such as William and Kate at the MET, in formal wear, will generate masses of publicity.

I think that's why senior royals are so in demand; who really cares if Princess Clothilde, 209th in line to the throne, opens a street festival?

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
Sadly most of Anne's visits don't get the coverage - and nor does anyone outside of William and Kate - which suggests that having a royal as a patron isn't all that important in raising the profile of the charity as there isn't the press/media coverage at all.

i guess royal patronage is not always about the media press but about enabling links to be made for those charities they support, or helping them out in ways that only a well connected person can do. now, i'm not familiar with how much royals actually help in this, which would only be known by the charities themselves, but i think there's much more around patronage than press coverage.

It doesn't always have to be about publicity. You are the head of a small charity Save the Widgets which helps the Widget population from the profits of a charity shop. You write to Prince Bob who is a minor Royal in your country to be your patron and he agrees. Your charity has some Royal cache now which you can use to help promote your cause on your website or social media.

Eventually Prince Bob schedules a visit to help reopen your new expanded charity shop. You and your fellow volunteers are commended by Prince Bob for your work on Widget saving, which makes your day and the day of the other volunteers. Newly inspired you vow to continue the widget cause.

Prince Bob's visit goes unnoticed by the national media. But you and your volunteers appreciate the visit of Prince Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Didn't wprince William sleep one night on the street with homeless people when being engaged with Centerpoint?

Yes, I believe he did that in 2010. Now, how many royals would THAT? I remember many were surprised and pleased at his gesture. We have a similar organization called 'Covenant House', and they just did a sleep-out in NYC, which was attended by many from the theatre community.

It took me a while to dig this up but I do think it shows that William does far more for his charities and patronages than showing up to cut ribbons or present a plaque in a tuxedo (but oh boy can he rock a tux!).

Along with actually experiencing a night out on the streets as the homeless do, he was able to combine his endeavors for TUSK and Centrepointe where teens from Centrepointe visited Botswania at TUSK's invitation and also as we were to see, the princes take active action for wounded service personnel.

"The Prince challenges Ben to take part in this year’s event and we meet a group of unique British soldiers who are also participating. The Battleback soldiers are men and women fighting their way back to fitness after being injured in action or during training. Also visiting Botswana at Tusk’s invitation are a group of London teenagers from homeless charity Centrepoint, another venture which Prince William supports since visiting the charity as a child with his mother.

"The Prince meets the teenagers and finds out about the work they are doing for Tusk. Beautifully shot against the backdrop of Africa’s breath-taking landscape and wildlife, this film offers a revealing insight into the man who will, one day, be King of England."

Shows - Living Channel

As I've stated earlier, I think we're going to see more and more of this as these royals bring charities and organizations to work together. :D

Last edited:
Yes, I believe he did that in 2010. Now, how many royals would THAT? [...]

Already in 1964 a disguised Princess Beatrix joined a Salvation Army officer to see with her own eyes what the Amsterdam Red Light District looked like in the darkest hours of night. She talked with prostitutes, pimps, alcoholists, homeless people. (See picture).

This was an experience Princess Beatrix never forgot. Last year, in the very same Red Light District, the Princess opened a fantastic new premises from the Salvation Army which houses (former) prostutes, homeless people, etc. The house is named after Major Alida Bosshardt, the Salvation Army officer with whom she made that trip once, in 1964... (See picture).

Yes, I believe he did that in 2010. Now, how many royals would THAT? I remember many were surprised and pleased at his gesture. We have a similar organization called 'Covenant House', and they just did a sleep-out in NYC, which was attended by many from the theatre community.

Edward VII as Prince of Wales visited the slums of London incognito - it isn't something new at all but rather something that has been done for many, many years by royals of both genders.

Apparently after the Tsunami in the Indian Ocean 2004 members of the Swedish Royal family made many secret visits to hospitals where Swedes were being treated for their injuries after coming home.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I read somewhere (here or somewhere else) that Queen Juliana often made unannounced visits to charities and institutions to see the reality and not just "wet paint".
I also remember reading how both she, her mother, her daughter and her husband was very hands on in aiding those affected by the massive floods in the winter of 1953.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It took me a while to dig this up but I do think it shows that William does far more for his charities and patronages than showing up to cut ribbons or present a plaque in a tuxedo (but oh boy can he rock a tux!).

Along with actually experiencing a night out on the streets as the homeless do, he was able to combine his endeavors for TUSK and Centrepointe where teens from Centrepointe visited Botswania at TUSK's invitation and also as we were to see, the princes take active action for wounded service personnel.

"The Prince challenges Ben to take part in this year’s event and we meet a group of unique British soldiers who are also participating. The Battleback soldiers are men and women fighting their way back to fitness after being injured in action or during training. Also visiting Botswana at Tusk’s invitation are a group of London teenagers from homeless charity Centrepoint, another venture which Prince William supports since visiting the charity as a child with his mother.

"The Prince meets the teenagers and finds out about the work they are doing for Tusk. Beautifully shot against the backdrop of Africa’s breath-taking landscape and wildlife, this film offers a revealing insight into the man who will, one day, be King of England."

Shows - Living Channel

As I've stated earlier, I think we're going to see more and more of this as these royals bring charities and organizations to work together. :D

Not at all surprising. I love reading how he takes his charity work a step further than expected. He will do wonders for his country, and beyond.

Already in 1964 a disguised Princess Beatrix joined a Salvation Army officer to see with her own eyes what the Amsterdam Red Light District looked like in the darkest hours of night. She talked with prostitutes, pimps, alcoholists, homeless people. (See picture).

This was an experience Princess Beatrix never forgot. Last year, in the very same Red Light District, the Princess opened a fantastic new premises from the Salvation Army which houses (former) prostutes, homeless people, etc. The house is named after Major Alida Bosshardt, the Salvation Army officer with whom she made that trip once, in 1964... (See picture).

Didn't know that. Thank you for the insightful information. I think more royals should do things like this, because it would allow them to see the realities of life that can be harsh. A monarch who is out of touch is not a good thing.

For all we know both of the Cambridges could be working away like two demons on behalf of their charities whilst at home and attempting to not let their son be attacked by the killer tree. Seriously who writes these headlines? Who believes PG is left out alone to play, it is a dangerous world we live in.

• Private engagements are of a higher value to me- tell me more about the Royal's ( or anyone in the public eye's )heart, character, motive, and intentions. That being said- I like public engagements too. But private ones should definitely be counted and have a higher value.
  • On the ? of " work" have you considered the fact that you are speaking of members of the BRF- that that is a full time job, and IMO, hard work? And does the Duke of Cambridge's job with NAA count for anything? That's working for a charity, and highly admirable IMO. But we disagree-I think all their work counts
  • Letters- Read and look at Diana the Portrait folks. If that doesn't change your mind and end the debate about this- I don't know what will. I don't want to act like a know- it all- but that is evidence from a source that is a fact contrary to your opinion
  • Centerpoint- and cameras and privacy- I remember watching a documentary about the work of the Duke of Cambridge. He visited Centerpoint. And his people skills were amazing. At one point, he was talking to one of the project workers who had once been a project user. The man got really uncomfortable, so William asked that the cameras leave. The cameras left. The cameras came back. The cameraman asked the man if he was OK. The man said yes. He said" I was really nervous to tell my future King that I once had a drug problem, and if not for the shelter, would not have had food to eat." I was afraid he'd judge me, or not want to talk to me. I could not do it in front of cameras.But he doesn't judge me, and we can talk so you can film." And William pipes up- " Of course, I don't judge you." " I think it's great that you've stopped using drugs, a way that you coped with some horrible stuff. I don't condone it, but I understand it- that you have a new way of coping, and that you have a good support system, and you support others." I cried. But I think this is a good example of what you all were discussing
  • William sleeping on the streets with Centerpoint. That didn't / doesn't surprise me- says a lot about him- I only know one Royal who would do that- and I give him a lot of credit and admire him greatly for it!
Just my 2 cents on the most recent discussion.

Last edited:
  • Private engagements are of a higher value to me- tell me more about the Royal's ( or anyone in the public eye's )heart, character, motive, and intentions. That being said- I like public engagements too. But private ones should definitely be counted and have a higher value.
  • On the ? of " work" have you considered the fact that you are speaking of members of the BRF- that that is a full time job, and IMO, hard work? And does the Duke of Cambridge's job with NAA count for anything? That's working for a charity, and highly admirable IMO. But we disagree-I think all their work counts
  • Letters- Read and look at Diana the Portrait folks. If that doesn't change your mind and end the debate about this- I don't know what will. I don't want to act like a know- it all- but that is evidence from a source that is a fact contrary to your opinion
  • Centerpoint- and cameras and privacy- I remember watching a documentary about the work of the Duke of Cambridge. He visited Centerpoint. And his people skills were amazing. At one point, he was talking to one of the project workers who had once been a project user. The man got really uncomfortable, so William asked that the cameras leave. The cameras left. The cameras came back. The cameraman asked the man if he was OK. The man said yes. He said" I was really nervous to tell my future King that I once had a drug problem, and if not for the shelter, would not have had food to eat." I was afraid he'd judge me, or not want to talk to me. I could not do it in front of cameras.But he doesn't judge me, and we can talk so you can film." And William pipes up- " Of course, I don't judge you." " I think it's great that you've stopped using drugs, a way that you coped with some horrible stuff- that you have a new way of coping, and that you have a good support system, and you support others." I cried. But I think this is a good example of what you all were discussing
  • William sleeping on the streets with Centerpoint. That didn't / doesn't surprise me- says a lot about him- I only know one Royal who would do that- and I give him a lot of credit and admire him greatly for it!
Just my 2 cents on the most recent discussion.

Excellent points! I have nothing further to add here. You and I are on the same page, but that's not a shock :D.

And I just want to add folks- as much as I admire Kate and William and Diana- I don't worship them. I don't think they should be rushed to the Pope for canonization. I don't think that of anybody. And I respect everyone's opinion whether they agree with me or not. I am sorry if you don't feel respected, but I do.
But I do think 2 things- one- There is something special about those 3- and 2- I don't like criticism that serves no purpose.( who wrote letters- do you honestly think the kids cared/ care who types / typed a letter? , that they only do engagements after bad publicity - it must be a PR stunt, private visits don't seem to count- ( that makes no sense whatsoever )etc. )It's a bit much. At least I think so. I know one thing. Kate and William have my support, and I will defend them( as long as they are worthy of it. If they do something I disagree with, or something wrong that I cannot defend- I will certainly say so.) And I will defend and support Diana when I feel it is appropriate too.

Last edited:
And I just want to add folks- as much as I admire Kate and William and Diana- I don't worship them. I don't think they should be rushed to the Pope for canonization. I don't think that of anybody. And I respect everyone's opinion whether they agree with me or not. I am sorry if you don't feel respected, but I do.
But I do think 2 things- one- There is something special about those 3- and 2- I don't like criticism that serves no purpose.( who wrote letters- do you honestly think the kids cared/ care who types / typed a letter? , that they only do engagements after bad publicity - it must be a PR stunt, private visits don't seem to count- ( that makes no sense whatsoever )etc. )It's a bit much. At least I think so. I know one thing. Kate and William have my support, and I will defend them( as long as they are worthy of it. If they do something I disagree with, or something wrong that I cannot defend- I will certainly say so.) And I will defend and support Diana when I feel it is appropriate too.

This is why the forums we have survive for years and years and over a lot of changes with those that are royal that we follow. We have an outlet to express just how and why some royals give us a positive opinion and some not so good. Not only do we learn about those in a royal position but with conversation we get to know and feel close to those that post even though they may be a bazillion miles away and in another culture. We learn respect and we learn to appreciate and in my case, feel a lack of intelligence for not being able to post anywhere else in a language other than English. Do I wish to be bilingual? No. Not needed. I need to know what the squirrels are saying more.

And to think that years ago I was directed by a search for silly hats at Ascot here to find silly hats worn at Ascot. Its my fault I clicked and its my fault I decided to stay and read. And yet.. here I am. Wiser maybe in some things.. curious about everything.

So do you disagree or agree with what I said Osipi? Because I agree with :previous:. 100%.

Agree or disagree it all happens here. That's what we come for. :D

Back
Top Bottom