The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,073
The Duchess of Cambridge did some volunteering with the Scouts. That was very beneficial. Hope to see more of that from her, and her husband.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,750
Didn't wprince William sleep one night on the street with homeless people when being engaged with Centerpoint?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,048
The personal letters the royals send are in their own words. Sometimes, the letters are typed by their private secretary, but are signed and dated by the royals themselves. There are times when the letters are just in they're own hand writing. The letters that are sent to their many fans are correspondents from the press office.

Very early on, Diana wrote many of her own letters. She was a letter writer, but sometimes her letters were typed.

I think I would prefer typed, only because it's not easy to understand the royals handwriting. Then again, it's special to have a member of the royal family hand written letter.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sadly most of Anne's visits don't get the coverage - and nor does anyone outside of William and Kate - which suggests that having a royal as a patron isn't all that important in raising the profile of the charity as there isn't the press/media coverage at all.
It depends on the royal patron.

Naturally an event such as William and Kate at the MET, in formal wear, will generate masses of publicity.

I think that's why senior royals are so in demand; who really cares if Princess Clothilde, 209th in line to the throne, opens a street festival?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 6,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
Sadly most of Anne's visits don't get the coverage - and nor does anyone outside of William and Kate - which suggests that having a royal as a patron isn't all that important in raising the profile of the charity as there isn't the press/media coverage at all.
i guess royal patronage is not always about the media press but about enabling links to be made for those charities they support, or helping them out in ways that only a well connected person can do. now, i'm not familiar with how much royals actually help in this, which would only be known by the charities themselves, but i think there's much more around patronage than press coverage.
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,173
It doesn't always have to be about publicity. You are the head of a small charity Save the Widgets which helps the Widget population from the profits of a charity shop. You write to Prince Bob who is a minor Royal in your country to be your patron and he agrees. Your charity has some Royal cache now which you can use to help promote your cause on your website or social media.

Eventually Prince Bob schedules a visit to help reopen your new expanded charity shop. You and your fellow volunteers are commended by Prince Bob for your work on Widget saving, which makes your day and the day of the other volunteers. Newly inspired you vow to continue the widget cause.

Prince Bob's visit goes unnoticed by the national media. But you and your volunteers appreciate the visit of Prince Bob.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Didn't wprince William sleep one night on the street with homeless people when being engaged with Centerpoint?
Yes, I believe he did that in 2010. Now, how many royals would THAT? I remember many were surprised and pleased at his gesture. We have a similar organization called 'Covenant House', and they just did a sleep-out in NYC, which was attended by many from the theatre community.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,346
It took me a while to dig this up but I do think it shows that William does far more for his charities and patronages than showing up to cut ribbons or present a plaque in a tuxedo (but oh boy can he rock a tux!).

Along with actually experiencing a night out on the streets as the homeless do, he was able to combine his endeavors for TUSK and Centrepointe where teens from Centrepointe visited Botswania at TUSK's invitation and also as we were to see, the princes take active action for wounded service personnel.

"The Prince challenges Ben to take part in this year’s event and we meet a group of unique British soldiers who are also participating. The Battleback soldiers are men and women fighting their way back to fitness after being injured in action or during training. Also visiting Botswana at Tusk’s invitation are a group of London teenagers from homeless charity Centrepoint, another venture which Prince William supports since visiting the charity as a child with his mother.

"The Prince meets the teenagers and finds out about the work they are doing for Tusk. Beautifully shot against the backdrop of Africa’s breath-taking landscape and wildlife, this film offers a revealing insight into the man who will, one day, be King of England."

Shows - Living Channel

As I've stated earlier, I think we're going to see more and more of this as these royals bring charities and organizations to work together.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-20-2015, 02:40 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Yes, I believe he did that in 2010. Now, how many royals would THAT? [...]
Already in 1964 a disguised Princess Beatrix joined a Salvation Army officer to see with her own eyes what the Amsterdam Red Light District looked like in the darkest hours of night. She talked with prostitutes, pimps, alcoholists, homeless people. (See picture).

This was an experience Princess Beatrix never forgot. Last year, in the very same Red Light District, the Princess opened a fantastic new premises from the Salvation Army which houses (former) prostutes, homeless people, etc. The house is named after Major Alida Bosshardt, the Salvation Army officer with whom she made that trip once, in 1964... (See picture).
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-20-2015, 04:26 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Yes, I believe he did that in 2010. Now, how many royals would THAT? I remember many were surprised and pleased at his gesture. We have a similar organization called 'Covenant House', and they just did a sleep-out in NYC, which was attended by many from the theatre community.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Edward VII as Prince of Wales visited the slums of London incognito - it isn't something new at all but rather something that has been done for many, many years by royals of both genders.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
Apparently after the Tsunami in the Indian Ocean 2004 members of the Swedish Royal family made many secret visits to hospitals where Swedes were being treated for their injuries after coming home.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,496
I bet the they did!
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
I read somewhere (here or somewhere else) that Queen Juliana often made unannounced visits to charities and institutions to see the reality and not just "wet paint".
I also remember reading how both she, her mother, her daughter and her husband was very hands on in aiding those affected by the massive floods in the winter of 1953.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It took me a while to dig this up but I do think it shows that William does far more for his charities and patronages than showing up to cut ribbons or present a plaque in a tuxedo (but oh boy can he rock a tux!).

Along with actually experiencing a night out on the streets as the homeless do, he was able to combine his endeavors for TUSK and Centrepointe where teens from Centrepointe visited Botswania at TUSK's invitation and also as we were to see, the princes take active action for wounded service personnel.

"The Prince challenges Ben to take part in this year’s event and we meet a group of unique British soldiers who are also participating. The Battleback soldiers are men and women fighting their way back to fitness after being injured in action or during training. Also visiting Botswana at Tusk’s invitation are a group of London teenagers from homeless charity Centrepoint, another venture which Prince William supports since visiting the charity as a child with his mother.

"The Prince meets the teenagers and finds out about the work they are doing for Tusk. Beautifully shot against the backdrop of Africa’s breath-taking landscape and wildlife, this film offers a revealing insight into the man who will, one day, be King of England."

Shows - Living Channel

As I've stated earlier, I think we're going to see more and more of this as these royals bring charities and organizations to work together.
Not at all surprising. I love reading how he takes his charity work a step further than expected. He will do wonders for his country, and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Already in 1964 a disguised Princess Beatrix joined a Salvation Army officer to see with her own eyes what the Amsterdam Red Light District looked like in the darkest hours of night. She talked with prostitutes, pimps, alcoholists, homeless people. (See picture).

This was an experience Princess Beatrix never forgot. Last year, in the very same Red Light District, the Princess opened a fantastic new premises from the Salvation Army which houses (former) prostutes, homeless people, etc. The house is named after Major Alida Bosshardt, the Salvation Army officer with whom she made that trip once, in 1964... (See picture).
Didn't know that. Thank you for the insightful information. I think more royals should do things like this, because it would allow them to see the realities of life that can be harsh. A monarch who is out of touch is not a good thing.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 645
For all we know both of the Cambridges could be working away like two demons on behalf of their charities whilst at home and attempting to not let their son be attacked by the killer tree. Seriously who writes these headlines? Who believes PG is left out alone to play, it is a dangerous world we live in.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:36 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,201
  • Private engagements are of a higher value to me- tell me more about the Royal's ( or anyone in the public eye's )heart, character, motive, and intentions. That being said- I like public engagements too. But private ones should definitely be counted and have a higher value.
  • On the ? of " work" have you considered the fact that you are speaking of members of the BRF- that that is a full time job, and IMO, hard work? And does the Duke of Cambridge's job with NAA count for anything? That's working for a charity, and highly admirable IMO. But we disagree-I think all their work counts
  • Letters- Read and look at Diana the Portrait folks. If that doesn't change your mind and end the debate about this- I don't know what will. I don't want to act like a know- it all- but that is evidence from a source that is a fact contrary to your opinion
  • Centerpoint- and cameras and privacy- I remember watching a documentary about the work of the Duke of Cambridge. He visited Centerpoint. And his people skills were amazing. At one point, he was talking to one of the project workers who had once been a project user. The man got really uncomfortable, so William asked that the cameras leave. The cameras left. The cameras came back. The cameraman asked the man if he was OK. The man said yes. He said" I was really nervous to tell my future King that I once had a drug problem, and if not for the shelter, would not have had food to eat." I was afraid he'd judge me, or not want to talk to me. I could not do it in front of cameras.But he doesn't judge me, and we can talk so you can film." And William pipes up- " Of course, I don't judge you." " I think it's great that you've stopped using drugs, a way that you coped with some horrible stuff. I don't condone it, but I understand it- that you have a new way of coping, and that you have a good support system, and you support others." I cried. But I think this is a good example of what you all were discussing
  • William sleeping on the streets with Centerpoint. That didn't / doesn't surprise me- says a lot about him- I only know one Royal who would do that- and I give him a lot of credit and admire him greatly for it!
Just my 2 cents on the most recent discussion.
__________________
One of my friends is fundraising for and hoping to adopt at least 2 of the 3 of these special needs orphans. Please give/ help now!
Go to Reece's Rainbow, and donate torwards the adoption of Holland, Starr, and Grace- Ann!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
  • Private engagements are of a higher value to me- tell me more about the Royal's ( or anyone in the public eye's )heart, character, motive, and intentions. That being said- I like public engagements too. But private ones should definitely be counted and have a higher value.
  • On the ? of " work" have you considered the fact that you are speaking of members of the BRF- that that is a full time job, and IMO, hard work? And does the Duke of Cambridge's job with NAA count for anything? That's working for a charity, and highly admirable IMO. But we disagree-I think all their work counts
  • Letters- Read and look at Diana the Portrait folks. If that doesn't change your mind and end the debate about this- I don't know what will. I don't want to act like a know- it all- but that is evidence from a source that is a fact contrary to your opinion
  • Centerpoint- and cameras and privacy- I remember watching a documentary about the work of the Duke of Cambridge. He visited Centerpoint. And his people skills were amazing. At one point, he was talking to one of the project workers who had once been a project user. The man got really uncomfortable, so William asked that the cameras leave. The cameras left. The cameras came back. The cameraman asked the man if he was OK. The man said yes. He said" I was really nervous to tell my future King that I once had a drug problem, and if not for the shelter, would not have had food to eat." I was afraid he'd judge me, or not want to talk to me. I could not do it in front of cameras.But he doesn't judge me, and we can talk so you can film." And William pipes up- " Of course, I don't judge you." " I think it's great that you've stopped using drugs, a way that you coped with some horrible stuff- that you have a new way of coping, and that you have a good support system, and you support others." I cried. But I think this is a good example of what you all were discussing
  • William sleeping on the streets with Centerpoint. That didn't / doesn't surprise me- says a lot about him- I only know one Royal who would do that- and I give him a lot of credit and admire him greatly for it!
Just my 2 cents on the most recent discussion.
Excellent points! I have nothing further to add here. You and I are on the same page, but that's not a shock .



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-23-2015, 10:54 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,201
And I just want to add folks- as much as I admire Kate and William and Diana- I don't worship them. I don't think they should be rushed to the Pope for canonization. I don't think that of anybody. And I respect everyone's opinion whether they agree with me or not. I am sorry if you don't feel respected, but I do.
But I do think 2 things- one- There is something special about those 3- and 2- I don't like criticism that serves no purpose.( who wrote letters- do you honestly think the kids cared/ care who types / typed a letter? , that they only do engagements after bad publicity - it must be a PR stunt, private visits don't seem to count- ( that makes no sense whatsoever )etc. )It's a bit much. At least I think so. I know one thing. Kate and William have my support, and I will defend them( as long as they are worthy of it. If they do something I disagree with, or something wrong that I cannot defend- I will certainly say so.) And I will defend and support Diana when I feel it is appropriate too.
__________________
One of my friends is fundraising for and hoping to adopt at least 2 of the 3 of these special needs orphans. Please give/ help now!
Go to Reece's Rainbow, and donate torwards the adoption of Holland, Starr, and Grace- Ann!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
And I just want to add folks- as much as I admire Kate and William and Diana- I don't worship them. I don't think they should be rushed to the Pope for canonization. I don't think that of anybody. And I respect everyone's opinion whether they agree with me or not. I am sorry if you don't feel respected, but I do.
But I do think 2 things- one- There is something special about those 3- and 2- I don't like criticism that serves no purpose.( who wrote letters- do you honestly think the kids cared/ care who types / typed a letter? , that they only do engagements after bad publicity - it must be a PR stunt, private visits don't seem to count- ( that makes no sense whatsoever )etc. )It's a bit much. At least I think so. I know one thing. Kate and William have my support, and I will defend them( as long as they are worthy of it. If they do something I disagree with, or something wrong that I cannot defend- I will certainly say so.) And I will defend and support Diana when I feel it is appropriate too.
This is why the forums we have survive for years and years and over a lot of changes with those that are royal that we follow. We have an outlet to express just how and why some royals give us a positive opinion and some not so good. Not only do we learn about those in a royal position but with conversation we get to know and feel close to those that post even though they may be a bazillion miles away and in another culture. We learn respect and we learn to appreciate and in my case, feel a lack of intelligence for not being able to post anywhere else in a language other than English. Do I wish to be bilingual? No. Not needed. I need to know what the squirrels are saying more.

And to think that years ago I was directed by a search for silly hats at Ascot here to find silly hats worn at Ascot. Its my fault I clicked and its my fault I decided to stay and read. And yet.. here I am. Wiser maybe in some things.. curious about everything.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 AM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,201
So do you disagree or agree with what I said Osipi? Because I agree with . 100%.
__________________

__________________
One of my friends is fundraising for and hoping to adopt at least 2 of the 3 of these special needs orphans. Please give/ help now!
Go to Reece's Rainbow, and donate torwards the adoption of Holland, Starr, and Grace- Ann!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diana's Charity Work and Patronages aussiechick12 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 148 08-05-2016 02:25 AM
Prince William and Prince Harry: Charity Motorbike Trek in Africa - October 2008 Incas Prince Harry and Prince William 189 11-17-2008 07:49 AM
Andrea Casiraghi's week-long charity trip to the Philippines nayeli0016 Princess Caroline and Family 166 01-04-2007 09:51 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary evening dresses crown princess mary eveningwear crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events current events thread danish royal family death duchess of cambridge fashion poll felipe vi funeral grand duke jean greece harald v kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe and queen letizia king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander member introduction national day norwegian royals opening of parliament oscars picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary eveningwear princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia maternity wear princess sofia pregnancy style queen letizia queen letizia and queen rania queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen mathilde queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal royal fashion state visit sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge eveningwear the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats the duchess of cornwall fashion


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises