Royal Women: More Popular?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlota

Majesty
Country
United States
i always have the impression that royal women are the ones who most catch the attention of the press (think about mathilde, maxima, mette marit, mary and letizia, rania, salma benanni and an extense etcetera). something similar is happening now with camilla, sophie rhys jones and of course the press all time favourite caroline and (although not as much) sister stephanie or super popular lady di, just to mention a few. why do you think it is? is it because women attract more than men or because as most of them are new to the royal environment the press is interested on them?
it's quite curious... talking about the first stated group they were all comoners (except mathilde) and it would be sensible if the press were more interested in their husbands as they introduced them into royalty, but they are interested on their wives. is it because they are new and the people want to know about them?

what do you all think? any hypothesis on this?

I definitely think you're right. it's remarkable the way wives invariably get more attention even if they are the commoners and the royals are men. I think it has a lot to do with appearance.

in this day and age fashion has set some pretty narrow limits on men's appearances.(we've come a long way from the days of Henry VIII's flamboyant outfits) royal men are expected to have short hair wear and wear standard suits or military uniforms for public occasions. they look the same most of the time.

occasionally I'll look at a royal man and go "wow what a great tie" or "his suit is well cut" but beyond that, there isnt much to say.

even their off duty gear is usually pretty standard. frederick is something of an exeption in this area, and I think he gets more attention than most royal men because of it.

take prinsjesdag yesterday, we all knew(well, some of us:) Willem-Alexander would wear his uniform. that's that. moving on...what will beatrix's hat look like this time? will it be vermeulen again for Laurentien? all much more interesting questions (not to mention more interesting photos for the media).

many people love Princess Diana more ever! since her marriages to Prince Charles in 1981 till 1997 and people gives Diana flowers everyday and every years because she still as Princess im tell you about it!

and CP Mary very popular also because many people love her very much like Diana did and also Maxima too!

Sara Boyce

diana, of course.
No princess in the worl will can be so popular like diana.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I very firmly believe it : The royal women seem to do a better job. I'd take a Queen Beatrix or a Queen Margrethe over any man to be the head of my country. They just seem more devoted to me. Another reason why royal women get more attention is the fact that they wear dresses! A man has so few options- a suit is basically it. A woman, on the other hand, has an endless opportunity to wear fancy and elegant clothes. Also, it is usually the women who have to make a lot of sacrifices to be with their husbands. You have to really love a person and love their people in order to agree to represent them. My last point is this: little girls want to be princesses; little boys rarely have the fantasy of being princes. It's only natural that we should still be captivated by something so glamourous.

SpiffyBallerina said:
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I very firmly believe it : The royal women seem to do a better job. I'd take a Queen Beatrix or a Queen Margrethe over any man to be the head of my country. They just seem more devoted to me. Another reason why royal women get more attention is the fact that they wear dresses! A man has so few options- a suit is basically it. A woman, on the other hand, has an endless opportunity to wear fancy and elegant clothes. Also, it is usually the women who have to make a lot of sacrifices to be with their husbands. You have to really love a person and love their people in order to agree to represent them. My last point is this: little girls want to be princesses; little boys rarely have the fantasy of being princes. It's only natural that we should still be captivated by something so glamourous.

I agree with a lot of what you say but I don't agree that royal women have to make more sacrifices. perhaps in real life thats true.

but in general common men who mary royal women (or even royal men who do) have it a lot harder than women marrying princes. its a much tougher role. its even less defined than the already pretty undefined role of princess. it takes a strong intelligent man to be able to do it right.

Prince Claus and Pieter van Vollenhoven are, i think, 2 examples of men who do it well. though Prince Claus definitely had a hard time of. Prince Henrik has struggled immensely to find his place.

take for instance Carl Gustav and Silvia. she is clearly the more popular one.she does her job so well. he does his duty ok even if he is a bit stiff. if she were the one born royal and was Queen in her own right, CG would just be this background figure. Now, he's the king. he's officially number 1. he gives the speeches and immediately has a clear cut place even if she is more popular and does the job better.

I think the whole set up is so much better for them. one partner isnt left behind.

well anyway, all to say that men who marry royal ladies have it REALLY though.

Re:

Hmm. I think Crown Princess Mary, Crown Princess Letizia and Crown Princess Maxima will all be more popular than Diana. And their children will be even more popular still. The reason? Diana is dead. Yes, we remember her. But the young generation don't and in truth, she's just going to be a footnote in history. It would have been different had she been Queen but in reality, she's the late ex-wife of the Prince of Wales (King Charles III).
Once we're gone, the world won't have the primary sources and people will begin to forget. Also, the idea of monarchy may change significantly.
Diana is gone and the press are now turning to other Princesses of the world to idolise. It won't be long before she's replaced for the next generation no-matter how much the older generation liked her.

but with diana alive now, another princess would be popular'???
diana was more front page of magazine later her death that all the princess of today together.
Exemple: Diana was a diferent hair and was front page all magazine of the world, letizia, maxima, mary, mathilde, mette marit etc have a diferent hair and no all the world speaks of that.
Yes, are diferent times, diferent persons but none princess is the past and in the future can be like diana. She change the monarchy's vision for the people, none princess do it.

BeatrixFan said:
Hmm. I think Crown Princess Mary, Crown Princess Letizia and Crown Princess Maxima will all be more popular than Diana. And their children will be even more popular still. The reason? Diana is dead. Yes, we remember her. But the young generation don't and in truth, she's just going to be a footnote in history. It would have been different had she been Queen but in reality, she's the late ex-wife of the Prince of Wales (King Charles III).
Once we're gone, the world won't have the primary sources and people will begin to forget.
I totally agree. Just look at Diana's early eighties-dresses - today some of them look ridiculous, and young girls won't admire the style and idolize its wearer.

BTW, royal women mostly seem to do a great job - just compare Frederik to Mary in the last couple of weeks, or some of the queens. They've done a tremendous job generating acceptance for the monarchy through doing their job well.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree.......Diana was known internationally.....really well known even in asia and countries around the world ...none of the crown princess today have that popularity (at least internationally...maybe in their countires they are popular, but other than that, people don't know them as they had known Diana)

But of course, you might argue that Mary is popular in Australia, Maxima is popular in Argentina, that's because they are from that country, people from that country would be very interested in following what they are up to in they new adopted country...other than that...in my own opinion, they are not popular at all around the world.

The royal women definitely get more attention on this board. I think pollyemma definitely has a point. If you're interested in the royals for fashion, you're not going to get excited by the uniforms of the crown princes.

I'm interested in the royals for their family dynamics, they're like no other type of family in the world. So the guys interest me as much as the women. But its hard to find good information on them.

BTW, I think Carlota intended this thread to be an analysis of why royal women get so much more attention than their male counterparts.

if you want to devote a thread to discussion of which royal lady is the best, please do start one. but don't hijack someone else's.

Charlotte Casiraghi is getting very popular :p

bigheadshirmp said:
i agree.......Diana was known internationally.....really well known even in asia and countries around the world ...none of the crown princess today have that popularity (at least internationally...maybe in their countires they are popular, but other than that, people don't know them as they had known Diana)

But of course, you might argue that Mary is popular in Australia, Maxima is popular in Argentina, that's because they are from that country, people from that country would be very interested in following what they are up to in they new adopted country...other than that...in my own opinion, they are not popular at all around the world.

very true. I've made this point so often on this board.
No princess has the sort of international profile that Diana had. She was an international figure almost from the beginning, from her engagement, wedding, all the way to her death. Her entire life was played out on the world stage. Her popularity transcended cultural and linguistic boundries. She was just as well known and loved in Japan as she was in Britain, or North America, for example.
The European Crown Princesses migth be popular in their countries, and have some following in the nations of their origin, but on an international scale, they are unknowns. Their weddings might have generated a few international headlines but that doesnt translate into general interest.
Same can be said of royals in general, whether its european royals, asian royals etc. They're basically unknowns outside of their respective countries/regions, unless ofcourse you're talking about royal watchers.
Its sometimes difficult to keep an accurate perspective when you see that we have members on this forum from all over the world. But we're a small and select group with a shared interest.
Its nice to see that the new crown princesses are popular and loved in their countries, but go to the average person on the street in any country outside of Europe, in Asia, or Africa, North America etc, and ask them who Mary, Letizia, Maxima, Mathilde or Mette Marit is, no one would have a clue. But ask them who Princess Diana is, and they'd know.
I myself am a very good example of that. I consider myself a well-informed person. But before joining this forum the only royals I knew about were the British royal family, and Queen Rania. And while I have studied and am familiar with most European history I didnt know so many of the European nations were still monarchies.

Last edited:
Humera, I totally totally agree with you. Amen.

bigheadshirmp said:

Agree 100%

"MII"

pollyemma said:
BTW, I think Carlota intended this thread to be an analysis of why royal women get so much more attention than their male counterparts.

if you want to devote a thread to discussion of which royal lady is the best, please do start one. but don't hijack someone else's.

That's what I thought too. :confused:

When the Royal men start wearing tiaras we'll take more of an interest in them. :)

More seriously, the British Monarchy is seen as the "senior" and most glamorous dynasty in the world. If William continues his relationship with Kate Middleton and they start being seen in public together, media interest won't be confined to Britain, Australia and other Commonwealth countries; soon enough everyone else will be aware of who she is.

We probably won't see the Diana phenomenon again, as in "Kate, Princess Superstar", but the media focus will be intense. And then William will have to deal with the situation where his partner may possibly outshine him in terms of public interest. Which of course brings us back to Carlota's question.

We more or less "know" William; for Kate (or whoever it will be) we won't know much. There will be a transformation from commoner to Princess (real and fantasised); there will be keen discussion about her hair, figure, clothes, jewels, tiaras, pregnancy rumours, state of marriage, babies, motherhood etc etc. And the whole cycle starts anew.

The Prince/King may be the bedrock of state and Royal continuity, but the Princess/Queen is the glamour figure and focus of public interest. Statecraft is worthy, but dull, whereas diamonds and gowns are the stuff of dreams.

Princees Mathilde is very populair in Belgium and France , especially by old lady's !;)

Warren said:
When the Royal men start wearing tiaras we'll take more of an interest in them. :)
The Prince/King may be the bedrock of state and Royal continuity, but the Princess/Queen is the glamour figure and focus of public interest. Statecraft is worthy, but dull, whereas diamonds and gowns are the stuff of dreams.
Excately, very agree....I think that the main reason why royal ladies get more attention from royal watcher (who most of them are ladies!!!!:))

i don't think maxima, mary or letizia will become more popular than diana. diana is the person everyone refers to when thinking about royalty, although she passed away.

lots of people say "idols die young": many of the popular and famous people around the world died at a young age and that's what determines who is a myth in my opinion. diana was a myth. i highly doubt any of the princesses now will become as popular as diana was.

A girls dream?

Well, almost every girl dreams about being a princess, she wan't to meet "her Prince" (on a white horse;) ) and live in a castle, staying happy for all her life. But boys dream aren't the same. Even though small boys reads or listning to tales about the 'prince who save the princess' he still don't wan't to be a prince and his dream, when growing older, is'nt about one princess...:D ! A boy's choice is rather policemen, firemen, agents, sportsmen and girls, lots of them. :cool: Perhaps we also knows it's difficult being among men trying to discus Royals.:eek: And among women it's a common conversation talking about Royal events. :eek:

Last edited:
carlota said:
i don't think maxima, mary or letizia will become more popular than diana. diana is the person everyone refers to when thinking about royalty, although she passed away.

lots of people say "idols die young": many of the popular and famous people around the world died at a young age and that's what determines who is a myth in my opinion. diana was a myth. i highly doubt any of the princesses now will become as popular as diana was.
Same opinion with carlota too, i also think Princess Diana is really popular and she is still now, it seems the whorld love her.She is absolutely really great Lady, i think Mary, Maxima or Letizia would be much-loved Princesses now, but their popular can not be compared to Diana.

SpiffyBallerina said:
Another reason why royal women get more attention is the fact that they wear dresses! should .

Completely true.

I my opinion (and I may be completely off track) is that most of the interest from royals across globe is generated by women for women within the gossip magazines, I suppose coming from the little girls dream of becoming a princess and this is then carried into adult life through women's interest in royalty, and generally royals lifestyles and a major thing in a women's life is fashion and the fashion of royaltly is one thing that is so notably different compared to a 'commoner' and so the attention is paid to the women by their fashion with the side notes of the event/work they where doing. In comparison the men's work isn't as reported or noticable I think because their is no desire of women to spend time obsessing over his clothing or pining over some prince because typically they are married.

Hope that made sense.

I think that the women are more popular because they represent the fairy tale. They
get engaged and they become princesses. We get to watch the transformation ie through the engagement and wedding. An example being when sarah married andrew
she wore flowers over the tiara and when she left the church we could see the tiara. That to me marked the fairy tale transormation she was then royal.

so is it just that women get more attention? what do you think it will happen when victoria, for example, marries her future husband?

Victoria will still get the attention. She will be the first female Swedish monarch in her own right. She's also very poised and pretty. Trust me, whoever her husband will be, he'll be in her shadow whether or not it's done on purpose.

Agree! Crownprincessconsort??!!

SpiffyBallerina said:
Victoria will still get the attention. She will be the first female Swedish monarch in her own right. She's also very poised and pretty. Trust me, whoever her husband will be, he'll be in her shadow whether or not it's done on purpose.

I'm sad to say I do agree with You! Prince Henrik of Denmark and many other males who have been married to the head of state (rouling Queen) have had big problems.

About CP Victoria and Mr. Daniel Westling Aftonbladet an Expressen (Swedish papers) states Daniel will not be titeld "Prince". He will be titeld "The Crownprincessconsort"!!! :confused: What a word!!!??? :rolleyes: To stand this as a male he must be quite a man! Let's hope papers are wrong for God's sake! :mad:

Karisma said:
I'm sad to say I do agree with You! Prince Henrik of Denmark and many other males who have been married to the head of state (rouling Queen) have had big problems.

About CP Victoria and Mr. Daniel Westling Aftonbladet an Expressen (Swedish papers) states Daniel will not be titeld "Prince". He will be titeld "The Crownprincessconsort"!!! :confused: What a word!!!??? :rolleyes: To stand this as a male he must be quite a man! Let's hope papers are wrong for God's sake! :mad:

the crown princess consort. oh my gosh!!!! that can't be possible. he's a human being!

i agree that Victoria will continue to get the most attention when/if they become engaged. after all, we know he'll wear a suit to the wedding but she will wear a fancy white dress and hopefully the same lovely crown her mother wore.

In all seriousness though, I wouldnt put it past victoria to wear the four button tiara to her wedding!

I think victoria will be the one that is talked about. And her husband only when the press needs something negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom