Royal Websites & Social Networking

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is interesting. Although I find it kinda stalkerish to go and actually try and find them on Facebook.

That is interesting. Although I find it kinda stalkerish to go and actually try and find them on Facebook.

Oh yes i agree with it being stalkerish! :) it was a complete accident actually! I didn't go and say let's see if I can find him- I was looking at something else and a picture that looked like him and Autumn appeared and had the right last name but a different first name so I clicked on it. Haha it was a total accident :)

I don't know if any of you run or write for the royal website Royal Central, but if so, I would like to chat with you. Have a couple ?

I don't but me and the editor follow each other On twitter. The main editor is @MartinRioyalUK

Continuing the discussion from the 2015 predictions thread here...

Yes, you've got the point here. It is strange in fact, although I've read in this thread that it's really her account: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f278/princess-madeleine-on-instagram-35358.html

Probably only Madeleine knows if it's hers or not :p

It's easy to pretend to be someone else on social media, I've noticed the same thing happening with popstars and other celebrities. I'm still not fully convinced - on the thread you linked it was mentioned that she has another account with a different username, which feels more likely to me.

I don't know, perhaps they prefer the basic sites just about the Monarchy. I can see why, if they do. I have noticed nearly anything expressing opinion, feeling, or opinion with feeling is ultimately directly challenged or deleted just on this site alone. On social media sites anything they may have needs to be run with an authority that can maintain and monitor it, like on facebook. I have tested the thresh hold of tolerance for asinine and misbehavior on that one. I think it is a decent notion that facebook is not fan run and reliable info. I only dared try England's royal page though. I don't use twitter often enough to say if anyone twits around on it from any royal houses. This forum is run well enough given the vast number of deletions I have had with just enough scolding for me to say it is a great place for those familiar with how the society is in certain places that have monarchy. I could leave facebook behind and quit posting here feeling like the people of the places with monarchy have a nice place to share without sensationalist media hogging it all, which is really all I needed to know. It's about the information being correct and everyone having a nice place either anonymous or clarified as to whom depending on the need to know. The royals have agendas and if it is social media, the press has already said they have a few sites. Whether or not ya'll got that article where your at, I don't know, you'll have to look it up. I'll tell you this, they rarely use the social media. They pretty much stick to the politics, but do make people feel included.

Last edited:
The most beautiful site, in terms of being pleasant to the eye, with a tranquil lay-out, lot of space, tasteful fonts and great picture is the one of the Danish monarchy.

The website of the Norwegian monarchy is very complete too, but the design looks like a template which once was 'hip' back in 2004 or so. The same counts for the Swedish monarchy. The template looks similar to the one of Norway.

I can see that the wonderful website from the Danish monarchy was a good example for the Dutch monarchy. I only do not like the chosen font and overall lay-out. What is very good in this website is the interconnectivity with RSS-feeds, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and a lot of (archive) pictures and videos. The Dutch monarchy website is one of the most advanced under the surface but sadly the design does not reflect this.

The website of the Luxembourgian monarchy has been improved recently. What strucks the eye is plenty of media available. Like their Dutch relatives they opted for orange and (nassau)blue as primary colours. Very understandable but -taste is in the eye of the beholder- the Danish sparkling white with red accents appeals to me.

The website of the Belgian monarchy has been improved since the new King but still a lot needs to be done. The search function does not work well, there are a lot of 'dead links' and what is available in French is sometimes not available in Dutch, vice-versa. Also the Belgians can look for inspiration to Denmark.

The website of the Monegasque monarchy has also been improved. It looks a bit too business-like if you ask me. A bit like the website of a real estate agent. I miss a bit more information, like a genealogical tree, the history of the famille princier, etc. The news section and the mediatheque is also a bit 'slow'. But maybe that is in development. At least the website is no shame.

The website of the Liechtenstein monarchy is dated but the information is up-to-date. Very dry, very serious, very businesslike. Maybe that is very Liechtenstein too...

The website of the Spanish monarchy has been revamped too and looks good. All functions are there. There are sections about the King's prerogatives, about the Orders, a lot about the transparency of the Royal House, there is a section on the palaces, on the genealogy, on the symbols of the kingship. Great site.

The website of the British monarchy is immense. I regret the fact it has been split in one for the royal family and one for the Prince of Wales and his family. I think the monarchy should do it in one website. The lay-out, the colours, the font, it looks like the website of the Dutch monarchy. In my memory the website was a clean white one with 'straight' lay-out but now has a lot of blue, big fonts and bold sublinks. It makes it all a bit 'busy'. Not a feast for the eyes. The media-archive, the interconnectivity with social media, it is wonderful.

The website of the Holy See (an elective monarchy) is an immense database. The site is ingenious, is available in many languages, gives live feeds but the information comes a bit cluttered. You need to know what you are looking for, to find it indeed. It is also very dry stuff to read but that is in the nature of the papacy, of course.

My twelve points, mes douze points, go to... Denmark !

:lol: :flowers:

Kensington Palace's official Twitter account @KensingtonRoyal now has 525K followers. It passed Clarence House over the weekend and now is second behind the British Monarchy's official Twitter.

The official Twitter account for the British Monarchy has been changed from @BritishMonarchy to @RoyalFamily.

Can anyone tell me if the Prince Harry takes part in a social network: twitter, instagram, etc.

Can anyone tell me if the Prince Harry takes part in a social network: twitter, instagram, etc.

He used to have a Facebook account (under a different name) but he had to close it. Other than that.. I don’t know.

There are lots of rumours that Harry has an IG account under the name SpikeyMau2. Spikey has only a few followers but pops up on the accounts and FB of people like Arthur Landon, and the Housekeeping account of Jacobi Calthorpe, and several other friends, commenting on various instagrams and other matters.

Years ago Harry and Chelsy both had Facebook accounts (his was under the name of Spike Wells.) Both were quite open and easy to hack into and fans began taking photos and comments from their face wall. As soon as his cover was blown Spike closed his account. A lot of Harry fans believe that SpikeyMau is Harry, being very cautious and discreet. He 'liked' instagrams of Chelsy that were posted by Jacobi a while ago.

:previous: Oooh, that's interesting information. Especially the bit about him liking Chelsy stuff. ;)

Couldn't find a Spikeymau2. However I could find a Spikeymau5 and that user has a private account.

That's him, or who is thought to be Harry. Sorry about the mistake! Brain Freeze!
Harry and Chelsy had some interesting comments to make on their FB's in the old days and many photos were posted, African landscapes, Harry sitting above a yacht, with his friends, etc.

They are still in touch, and through Jacobi and Arthur Landon Harry may also keep in touch with Cressida, I suppose. Her IG account is cressbo but it's also private.

Last edited:
That's him, or who is thought to be Harry. Sorry about the mistake! Brain Freeze!
Harry and Chelsy had some interesting comments to make on their FB's in the old days and many photos were posted, African landscapes, Harry sitting above a yacht, with his friends, etc.

They are still in touch, and through Jacobi and Arthur Landon Harry may also keep in touch with Cressida, I suppose. Her IG account is cressbo but it's also private.

I can't blame them for making their accouts private. Heck... mine is private and I'm not famous. Would be interesting to see the photo's though.

Very interesting, girls! But it is a pity he does have any open acount,I'd love to be able to comment on his publications

I tried to find "spikeymau5" on Instagram but it's a private account, and I haven't been able to find people like Jacobi Calthorpe so I can't see when he comments on their photos. Does he accept requests? I've always been intrigued to know how royal watchers have found out whose photos Spikey has commented on and liked.

Given the fact that he comments on his friend's photos and was Spike Wells on Facebook (and I read that "Spike" is his Eton nickname), I think it's quite likely that Spikey from Instagram is Harry. He also hasn't got a photo of him where his face is visible on his profile picture, and on the other personal accounts of royals I've stumbled across, I've noticed that some of them do this as well for security reasons. But, who knows, it's easy to pretend to be someone on social media.

Maybe its just me but I would think that should Harry have a social media account anywhere, he would guard the privacy of that with his life and limb. So much of what he does and where he goes and who he sees ends up in the public glare that he would do as much as possible to keep it personal and private.

I wouldn't dream of intruding or trying to intrude on anyone's social media unless I knew for certain that my presence would be welcomed.

I also think he might have an account under a fake name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the fact that he comments on his friend's photos and was Spike Wells on Facebook (and I read that "Spike" is his Eton nickname), I think it's quite likely that Spikey from Instagram is Harry.

My cat is called Spike. He's also ginger! :) NOT named after Harry.

...Nearly all of Europe’s ruling houses have accounts on major social media sites – in fact, it’s more rare to find one that doesn’t use at least one of the main outlets. When it comes to Twitter followers, the Royal Family leads with way with 1.36 million following the @BritishMonarchy account.

Clarence House has 492,000 followers and @KensingtonRoyal has built up an audience of 564,000 since joining in January this year.

That figure is perhaps not surprising given that in the last nine months there have been several major events for the account to highlight including the birth and christening of Princess Charlotte and Prince Harry’s visit to New Zealand and Australia. And despite being the newest royal account, Kensington Royal has the highest following on photo centred Instagram – 668k compared to Clarence House’s 126k.

Our Royal Family isn’t the only one to use a wide range of social media sites to share information than has been available in the past. This summer, Sweden’s Royal Family joined Instagram adding the account to its already popular Facebook and You Tube presence. Since it launched earlier this year it’s picked up almost 84,000 followers while Princess Madeleine of Sweden makes good use of social media, often sharing new photos of her children on her Facebook site.
Read more: A new look website for the Dutch Royals throws a spotlight on social media

For me the best royal sites is the Danish and the Dutch. Agree about the Belgian need more improvement. Somehow he fix after Philip but wants more work. What I do not like is the Norwegian.

"This is the first week the Danish Royal Family has launched their facebook page and they already have 70,000 followers. It shows how popular their royal family is. They already have more followers than the royal families of Belgium and Luxembourg"

www.vorsten.nl/2016/06/02/deens-koningshuis-heeft-70-000-volgers/ - Translator

Royal 2016 social media moments: Prince Harry's Meghan Markle statement to Queen's 90th

I think that also the spanish royal site should be updated. The agenda is fine, but I'm still waiting for more recent photos...

The new look Dutch Royal site

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/

Now if only the Belgian site was updated next.

What is very well done in the website is the machinery under it. The Royal House has spent 160.000 Euro for the new site, 60.000 Euro for subtitles under old videos to give access to the hearing impaired, 80.000 Euro for the copyrights for pictures and videos as well the making of new media for the coming years. The website is fully linked to RSS feeds, twitter, social media, You Tube, etc. The newest CSS and HTML5 techniques have been used to show it with speed and proper content on all possible browsers. A special format has been made for mobile sites.

One of the first appointments of the new King in 2013 was that of a Director ICT for the Royal Household Service. Until this appointment, the ICT of the Royal Household Service was part of the Prime Minister's Department. The King thought it was important that the ICT of the Royal House was fully up-to-date, with secure servers and emergency capacity. In 2014 the Royal House Organization has spent a staggering 750.000 Euro on modernization of the telecommunications infrastructure. All palaces and offices of the Royal Household have switched to an "All IP"-telephone network with enough capacity to serve online, wireless, mobile and internet applications includining emergency capacity.

I think that the ICT- and telecommunications infrastructire and the "machinery" of the internet sites of the Netherlands Royal House are the most up-to-date of all monarchies. In "looks" however, the website of the Danish monarchy is a pleasure for the eye. The Dutch site is a bit too businesslike. I want more diadems, more nice interiors, etc. More like the Danes do.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I think the Monaco website needs a desperate overhaul - for a start it needs someone to work on it full-time to keep it up to date - like they manage to do for their Facebook page. They also need to tighten up some of the translation to English.

A combination of the Danish and Dutch websites would probably be perfect. The new Dutch one is very good in the English version although it is quite corporate in it's look.

Updating always seems to be a problem with some of the sites, even a weekly update would be good.

My favourite royal website is the Danish one. It's very aesthetically pleasing and is also quite organised and clear (it's not that hard to find the info you're looking for). The runner up for me would be the Swedish website.

I find the British website easy to navigate, but I think it can look a little crowded sometimes. I'm not really keen on the Dutch, Luxembourgish, Monegasque or Belgian (it looks nice but it feels quite dated and needs more info, there also isn't a calendar and photo archive for the English version of the site) websites. I like the colours schemes of the Spanish website though I find it rather clustered.

Does anyone have the websites for the non-reigning houses? So far I can only find:

Serbia
Russia
Bourbon-Two Sicilies
The Duke of Vendome (Orleans, France)

Back
Top Bottom