Royal Voices & Accents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Silvia speaks swedish whit a strong german accent... and Im always kind of nervous when I hear her speak, because of the mistakes she usually makes when it comes to definite article (the end of some words in swedish) For ex... I heard her speak about belts and she repeatedly said "den blå skärpen" instead of "det blå skärpet" and its often something like that when she speaks...

That they are able to speak another language and well, even with little missteps is admirable.

Queen Silvia speaks swedish whit a strong german accent...
this is funny because I think she also has a little swedish accent when she speaks german :lol:
she doesn't really speak very fluent... i mean sometime i have the feeling she translates the swedish words into german.
but of course it's not easy to notice. only if german is your first language.

what about maxima? her Dutch always sounds pretty good to me. but I don't speak dutch so I cannot say if she has an accent. ;)

COUNTESS said:
hat they are able to speak another language and well, even with little missteps is admirable.
Yes of course. I was just curious how their accents sound.

A video of the Greek Royals, including a little part where you can hear Queen Anne-Marie speaking Greek:

Video

Does she and her family speak Greek with each other or do they speak English (since they live in the UK)?

I read an old interview once (I think maybe with Nikolaos, it was one of the older children) where he said he generally speaks English with his parents, as well as what he described as "bad Greek." I think they always speak English with the younger children, as it's their native language and I don't think Theodora and Philippos's Greek is completely fluent. I would also imagine that Anne-Marie and Constantine have long been in the habit of speaking English to each other, since that's the only common language they had during the courtship and engagement and the first year or so of the marriage. (I'm not sure when AM learned her Greek, but I've read an interview shortly after Alexia's birth in 1965, a year after the marriage, where AM admits she still can't really carry on a conversation and is speaking English to the baby.)

It always shocks me how low Princess Alexia's voice is since I'm sure she's not a serious smoker (unlike her aunt, Queen Margrethe!). Maxima speaking Dutch always sounds like nonsense to me. Bleh. I like her a lot, but she sure seems to sound like she is choking on her words.

Princess Haya has a great voice. If she wasn't a princess she'd make a great reporter.

Wow, it´s the first time I hear her voice, and it´s so lovely!!

Wow, I am in LOVE with Mathilde's voice. I took several years of French in school but I can't really keep up with the flow of the conversation.. but really that does not matter. She could insult me to my face and I would think it lovely. ;) :flowers:

Wow, I am in LOVE with Mathilde's voice. I took several years of French in school but I can't really keep up with the flow of the conversation.. but really that does not matter. She could insult me to my face and I would think it lovely. ;) :flowers:

I agree that Mathilde has a beautiful voice! Very soothing....you could listen to it all day!

Does anyone have a clip Grand Duchess Maria- Teresa's voice?

Does anyone have a clip Grand Duchess Maria- Teresa's voice?

you can hear the grand duchess' voice around the 9 minute mark in this video

RTL.lu

alexandra and tessy are in it as well. it is quite interesting watching them get ready for the national day gala!!

p.s. mathilde has a very strong frenchish accent. very endearing :)

MT has a nice pleasant voice. It's very welcoming.

This is off topic- but Luxembourgish is a mix of French and German? But I think I heard more french when MT was speaking to the staff?

Queen Elizabeth's voice is pleasant to listen to. I could listen to her talk all day long. In some ways her voice is comforting.

Since I really haven't heard other royals speak, I can't really comment on them.

This is off topic- but Luxembourgish is a mix of French and German? But I think I heard more french when MT was speaking to the staff?

Yes, you are right - Luxembourgish is a Moselle Franconian dialect mainly spoken in Luxembourg and parts of Western Germany. Luxembourg has three official languages, besides Luxembourgish also German (mainly for newspapers books) and French (laws and stuff like that) - interesting thing that in a court hearing, the people talk in Luxembourgish, the laws are cited in French and the minutes are written in German.

And yes, you are again right. The Grand Duchess is mainly talking in French. Don't know why, it was said some time ago that she still prefers talking in French than talking in Luxembourgish. Could also be that she is talking to those people in French because there are a lot French people working in Luxembourg especially in the catering industry.

I heard every CP talk but not Mathilde.Does anyone have a video of her talking?

Prince Albert of Monaco sounds like an American when he speaks English.Also Mette Marit speakes very good English.

Prince Albert does indeed speak with an American accent, as do his sisters. The explanation is quite simple; American-accented English was of course his 'mother-tongue'. I think that some of us [I include myself!] sometimes tend to forget that Prince Rainier's children were 'half American' as well as 'half -Monegasque'.

Caroline and Stephanie both attended school in England for a few years. This did nothing to diminish their American accents. I took this as a very healthy sign, because to me it indicated that Princess Grace was a very hands-on mother. Only my personal theory of course.

Princess Grace was able to speak with a perfect English accent, which of course was due to her fine training as an actress at the top-rated American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Remember how she played the English wife in 'Dial M for Murder'?

Prince Rainier, whom I first met when I was about 10, [Monaco Grand Prix, which despite its location was always regarded as a part of the 'English (!) Social Season' in years gone by,] spoke English with an accent known as 'Received Pronunciation', sometimes known as 'Queen's English' or 'BBC English'. HSH was of course educated for some time at Stowe, a top English 'Public School' [NB 'English Public Schools are actually 'private [fee-paying] schools' (!)

Prince Albert was of course educated for some time in the United States, which would have further enhanced his accent.

All three princely children also spent time during their vacations with their American Kelly relations.

Hope some of this is of interest

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the information above, Alex! I absolutely loved Prince Rainier's English accent and at last I now know that it was "received pronunciation" - very rarely heard today if at all! Princess Grace always had the most beautiful voice and for me it is just as beautiful as Audrey Hepburns. The fact that Albert, Caroline and Stephanie have American accents was a surprise to me when I first realised, but of-course it is a reminder of their roots and who their mother was!
Thanks once again.

Hmmm...any video of Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg speaking please? And also Princess Alexandra? Thanks. :flowers:

I've always loved to hear Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mother speak. Also Princess Diana.

Back
Top Bottom