Royal Voices & Accents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LadyK said:
I think--no, I know--King Harold V spent WWII in Canada. I read an anicdote on this forum somewhere that when he came back to Norway, his grandfather could barely even understand him. Maybe someone else remembers the details of it.
It's true. When they lived in Canada CP Märtha always wanted her children to speak Norwegian at home, because the prince and princesses were still very young and she feared they could forget their own language.;)

lalla salma has a default of pronunciation in arabic she pronounce "tche" in spite of "t"

martha -lousie voice is between amercian and pommy i should say, its very clear and very nice , its nice she is so laid back.

Last edited:
I saw Rania on Oprah a while ago but I remember she had a great command of the english language. From what I recall she didn't constantly say, "um" which really impressed me because it shows she understands english well enough to have to pause and think. As for her voice I thought it was lovely. It wasn't high pitched or too deep but pleasant to listen to.

...sOfIa.... said:
I was shocked when I first heard Maxima talk- Her voice didn't seem to fit her (if you get me)
Máxima was a shock for me, as well! I was expecting something softer or more feminine... she has a nice voice and everything, but it doesn't fit the joyfull pics of her laughs, I think.
On the other hand, Mathilde's voice was all I was expecting from her... very sweet, as her personallity!

As for the English accents, I would naturally expect Mary to have a perfect accent, but there's something really odd about Mary's engagement interview... I've heard her speaking English afterwards and she has the Australian accent, but in the engagement interview it just seemed she wasn't a native speaker at all...

I couldn't possibly agree more, Elsa M. Máxima's voice is quite dissapointing...pairs up incredibly well with WA's though...:rolleyes:

Still, it shows strongness, which I believe is a quite remarkable asset...

Queen Beatrix's, on the contrary, is firm but not so...masculine, if i am allowed to say so :ermm:

Verde Esmeralda said:
I couldn't possibly agree more, Elsa M. Máxima's voice is quite dissapointing...pairs up incredibly well with WA's though...:rolleyes:

Still, it shows strongness, which I believe is a quite remarkable asset...
I agree to disagree on this one - I think Maxima has one of the more pleasant voices out there. It is really, really low and deep. Which I like. But I also think that it indicates her smoker's past very clearly. Smokers develop deeper voices over time.

As for Alex's voice, I think it's the best part of him. Very deep and masculine.

Same really with Maxima's voice, which is the opposite of a girly voice. Instead, her voice is 'all woman', which I like because indeed, it just sounds more real, and stronger.

I was not surprised at Maxima's accent at all. From looking at her, I expected it to be deep. She looks like she's big boned with a deep chest not petite.

Why did you all expect her voice to be girly? :ermm:

LadyK said:
The voices of Mette-Marit, Haakon, QEII, Charles the Prince of Wales, Letizia (so professional, so journalist-like), and the late Princess Diana (so soft, so sweet) did not surprise me when I heard them. They seemed to make sense, or just to fit them- when I heard them, I said to myself, 'Yep, that's so-and-so."

I was suprised by the voices of Maxima, W-A, Felipe, Rania, and Mary.
Maxima because I had no idea how deep her voice was!! It was not at all what I imagined. Her laugh isn't quite as infectious as you might think, given her infectious smile.

W-A, I didn't realize how deep and rich his voice was. It is somewhat majestic. I thought his voice would be....more adolescent or something, I think, and not so deep. I like it.

Felipe. I watched part of his wedding on Telemundo, and I was surprised by his voice. I think it was just that his voice wasn't as velvety and deep as I might have thought. I also thought it was funny to hear his lisp, which seemed out of place in someone who is otherwise so very royal in demeanor. (I honestly don't mean any offense to anyone by this- I know from when I was in Spain that this is the norm, and was actually started hundred+ years ago from the royal household. It just isn't the norm here in the US, and politicians and celebs work hard to get rid of the lisp, so please don't be offended)

Rania- with Rania I was very impressed by how well she speaks English, without much of an accent. (I found out later that she when to the American University)

Mary- I don't know what exactly I expected. Maybe a little higher, but I don't know. I just felt a little surprized.
you sum it up pretty well, Lady K!

By the way, I've never heard the voice of former princess, current countess Alexandra of Denmark. Anyone have a link to an interview with her?

princess olga said:

By the way, I've never heard the voice of former princess, current countess Alexandra of Denmark. Anyone have a link to an interview with her?

Not an interview but you can hear Alexandra and Joachim exchange wedding vows in this video.

Unfortunately it was all I could find.

princess olga said:

In the Royal House of Denmark sub-forum, in the topic http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/Danish Royal Family videos I posted a DR1.dk documentary about a then Princess Alexandra. Here it is again. Her Danish is perfect and the tone of her voice is lovely.

GlitteringTiaras said:
In the Royal House of Denmark sub-forum, in the topic Danish Royal Family videos I posted a DR1.dk documentary about a then Princess Alexandra. Here it is again. Her Danish is perfect and the tone of her voice is lovely.
Wow, thanks so much, watched the whole thing, she seemingly sounds like a native! Couldn't understand much though beyond general topics, and the thing was shot in 2003, and poor Alex and Joachim had to wax lyrical about each other for this documentary knowing how reality was probably a bit less rosy! Wish the doc had subtitles.

Re. her voice: it was more nasal than I expected somehow, but for the rest just as one would expect Alexandra to sound! Little Nicolai and Joachim are also on the tape of course, Joachinm comes across as interesting by the way! AND he has a nice voice, too!

Thanks again for the link! :flowers:

ysbel said:
Not an interview but you can hear Alexandra and Joachim exchange wedding vows in this video.

Unfortunately it was all I could find.
thanks, I get a bit nostalgic watching it! What a fairy tale it was, how handsome Joachim looked, how sure his voice sounded when he said "JA"

No problem, Princess Olga, glad you enjoyed the series.:flowers:

I thoroughly enjoyed the program despite the fact I could only understand a little (I'm learning Danish at the moment.) Prior to this series I have heard Prince Joachim speak at great lengths and I'm still amazed at how perfectly he speaks English. If I didn't know anything about him, and heard him speak based on this show, I would have thought he was British.

isis said:
lalla salma has a default of pronunciation in arabic she pronounce "tche" in spite of "t"

yes, I heard her also on moroccan Tv, and she has this default
I try to found the register of her speech but I don't found it

princess olga said:
I agree to disagree on this one - I think Maxima has one of the more pleasant voices out there. It is really, really low and deep. Which I like. But I also think that it indicates her smoker's past very clearly. Smokers develop deeper voices over time.

As for Alex's voice, I think it's the best part of him. Very deep and masculine.

Same really with Maxima's voice, which is the opposite of a girly voice. Instead, her voice is 'all woman', which I like because indeed, it just sounds more real, and stronger.

Mmm I never said that Máxima's voice was unpleasant, but dissapointing. I expected something more .. I don't know if 'girly' is the word, but more 'feminine' maybe. Then again, I am not saying she sounds like a truck driver...

WA's voice is awwwwwwwwwesome. Very suitable for a King....

Does anybody have any videos, audioclips, etc. of Queen Margrethe speaking English? Or Danish, as a matter of fact. I have never heard her speak.

acdc1 said:
Does anybody have any videos, audioclips, etc. of Queen Margrethe speaking English? Or Danish, as a matter of fact. I have never heard her speak.

She speaks english with a slight British accent. Very proper sounding.

BurberryBrit said:
She speaks english with a slight British accent. Very proper sounding.

Agreed. Prince Joachim's English sounds just as good. However, CP Frederick's English is heavily accented.

Click on this link to hear King Juan Carlos take the oath as sovereign.

YouTube - El Rey no va cantando himno español (ORIGINAL)

The inflection in the voice of the person giving JC the oath is quite affected and emotional particularly when he admonishes him as follows: if you keep your oath, may God bless you, and if you do not, may God judge you. (Not a precise translation)

Last edited:
Quin said:
Click on this link to hear King Juan Carlos take the oath as sovereign.

YouTube - El Rey no va cantando himno español (ORIGINAL)

The inflection in the voice of the person giving JC the oath is quite affected and emotional particularly when he admonishes him as follows: if you keep your oath, may God will bless you and if you do not may God judge you.
JC looks very moved.

I've never heard Queen Margrethe speak English, but on that Danish documentary about (then) Princess Alexandra, you heard Joachim speak it a little, and he sounds very fluent and with hardly any accent. Frederik's is quite accented though.

The most beautiful voice is it of... LEONOR! Hahaha..:lol:

I like letizia's firm voice, the tone of cristina's voice and the intonation of maxima!

chuchu said:
JC looks very moved.

I have seem some footage when (Jean) the former Grand Duke of Luxembourg and King Albert II of Belgium took their respective oaths. Their right hand is raised and you can see it trembling.

I heard Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik speak English. (finally!) The Queen has a British accent, yet it's unlike Queen Elizabeth's or Prince Charles', who talk in the back of the throat so you can hardly tell what they're saying. It was very open, and she's very fluent. Prince Henrik has a mixed French and Danish accent, IMO, I think it is a bit more French than Danish, but he also seems to speak it well.

Not royal, but John Donaldson has a very Scottish accent. I kept thinking he was Australian, but then I remembered he was originally from Scotland.

Does anyone have a video of Mathilde speak something other than english?:flowers:
I Really like her voice. It's so sweet and soft.

Back
Top Bottom