The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Saschana's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere, Germany
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
This is off topic- but Luxembourgish is a mix of French and German? But I think I heard more french when MT was speaking to the staff?
Yes, you are right - Luxembourgish is a Moselle Franconian dialect mainly spoken in Luxembourg and parts of Western Germany. Luxembourg has three official languages, besides Luxembourgish also German (mainly for newspapers books) and French (laws and stuff like that) - interesting thing that in a court hearing, the people talk in Luxembourgish, the laws are cited in French and the minutes are written in German.

And yes, you are again right. The Grand Duchess is mainly talking in French. Don't know why, it was said some time ago that she still prefers talking in French than talking in Luxembourgish. Could also be that she is talking to those people in French because there are a lot French people working in Luxembourg especially in the catering industry.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,887
I heard every CP talk but not Mathilde.Does anyone have a video of her talking?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Burzg's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ---, United States
Posts: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I heard every CP talk but not Mathilde.Does anyone have a video of her talking?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,887
Thank you burzg!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Burzg's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ---, United States
Posts: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Thank you burzg!
you very welcome
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Burzg's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ---, United States
Posts: 3,118
her gramar is good but her english is not like british or amercan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,887
Prince Albert of Monaco sounds like an American when he speaks English.Also Mette Marit speakes very good English.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Prince Albert does indeed speak with an American accent, as do his sisters. The explanation is quite simple; American-accented English was of course his 'mother-tongue'. I think that some of us [I include myself!] sometimes tend to forget that Prince Rainier's children were 'half American' as well as 'half -Monegasque'.

Caroline and Stephanie both attended school in England for a few years. This did nothing to diminish their American accents. I took this as a very healthy sign, because to me it indicated that Princess Grace was a very hands-on mother. Only my personal theory of course.

Princess Grace was able to speak with a perfect English accent, which of course was due to her fine training as an actress at the top-rated American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Remember how she played the English wife in 'Dial M for Murder'?

Prince Rainier, whom I first met when I was about 10, [Monaco Grand Prix, which despite its location was always regarded as a part of the 'English (!) Social Season' in years gone by,] spoke English with an accent known as 'Received Pronunciation', sometimes known as 'Queen's English' or 'BBC English'. HSH was of course educated for some time at Stowe, a top English 'Public School' [NB 'English Public Schools are actually 'private [fee-paying] schools' (!)

Prince Albert was of course educated for some time in the United States, which would have further enhanced his accent.

All three princely children also spent time during their vacations with their American Kelly relations.

Hope some of this is of interest

Alex
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,731
Thanks for the information above, Alex! I absolutely loved Prince Rainier's English accent and at last I now know that it was "received pronunciation" - very rarely heard today if at all! Princess Grace always had the most beautiful voice and for me it is just as beautiful as Audrey Hepburns. The fact that Albert, Caroline and Stephanie have American accents was a surprise to me when I first realised, but of-course it is a reminder of their roots and who their mother was!
Thanks once again.
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Rhys82192's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Imus, Cavite, Philippines
Posts: 803
Hmmm...any video of Prince Sebastien of Luxembourg speaking please? And also Princess Alexandra? Thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,329
I've always loved to hear Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mother speak. Also Princess Diana.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I've always loved to hear Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mother speak. Also Princess Diana.
I like HM's voice as well. She sounds so young. I've never heard the Queen Mother speak, so cannot comment on that. Diana's voice had a soft quality to it, so I always felt like I was listening to someone who was very maternal and caring.

I think Princes William and Harry have very nice-sounding voices. They sound very distinguished. Catherine has a nice voice too. She sounds very much at ease, and very cheerful.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,542
I imagine alot of the European Royal Families speak English? I assume that when the British Royal Family attend foreign weddings they communicate in English as it is most likely the common language between them all, but I think it's bad that the majority of the other families can speak their mother tongue and English, as well as other languages. Can members of the British Royal Family speak any other languages?

The Queen's voice is very posh, I have always though. At the beginning Diana's voice was very soft and quiet, but as time grew, along with her confidence, her voice became louder and stronger. The same could be said for Sophie, as she was saying her wedding vows she sounded very quiet and young, but now she sounds much more confident.

I like the way Prince Philip sounds, mainly because most of the time he is cracking a joke when he's speaking!
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Molly, I have heard all sorts of claims about the languages spoken by members of the BRF. It is not my specialist topic at all, and therefore I am sure that other members of TRF will know better. However I can suggest:

The Queen: near fluent or even fluent French, depending the sources you believe. The explanation give for her command of the language is that she took tuition because Canada [with the French Speaking Province of Quebec is one of her realms]

She is also believed to speak a little of seveal other European Languages, aquired to enable her to understand a little of what might be said to her at a foreign event or walkabout.


Prince Philip [because he was a Prince of Greece] can speak Danish and German [but not Greek, because the Greek Royal Family of his day was of course 'not of Greek Origin']

Prince Charles has what we called 'school boy French' and school boy German, taught to him at school. This would enable him to communicate in these languages, but not to a high degree of fluency. It is the sort of language level that allows you to 'get by' rather than engage in complicated, grammatically correct conversations.

Prince Andrew and Prince Edward reputedly speak French to the same level as their brother, Princess Anne to a slightly higher standard because she appeared in the 1969 documentary 'Royal Family' attending intensive French lessons at the Berlitz training academy in London.

The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael [the latter quite fluently since his Army days apparently] all (allegedly) speak Russian, some Danish and some German, apparently aquired through their mother Princess Marina of Greece [who spoke little Greek apparently for the same reason as Prince Philip] as she had a father who spoke Danish and German and a mother of Russian descent.

Princess Michael of Kent speaks German [because of her german-speaking parentage] and also fairly fluent French, because she states that her mother required her to speak French at home in Australia. This may have been due to the fact that her step father was of Polish Descent, but spoke good French and so it was something of a language which the family had in common. Neighbours of Princess Michael before she married and was a London working girl living in the Victoria district of London claimed in newspaper articles that Princess Michael arrived in London with a strong Australian accent, which she quickly modified into an Austrian- accented English.

The Duke of Gloucester speaks some French and German because of his education and some Danish because of his wife, the Duchess of course being of Danish parentage.

The Queen's grandchildren are apparently not fluent in any foreign languge but again studied French and sometimes German at their schools.

I am sure that other people will be able to help you with this more than I can.

Although the English are reputedly poor linguists, sometimes it is not our fault. I speak very good French and German [not fluent, but above school-standard.] But when going on trips abroad for work, because I was in groups of French / German / Italian / Danish / Swedish / Dutch and Spanish nationals (and sometimes even more!) everyone used to speak in English as it was treated as something of a common language.

All my bosses [who were forms of the BP 'Grey men' in education and background [retired Army officers etc] all tended to speak fairly bad French but had all been excellent at Latin at their public schools.

Hope some of this is useful

Alex
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 08-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I like HM's voice as well. She sounds so young. I've never heard the Queen Mother speak, so cannot comment on that. Diana's voice had a soft quality to it, so I always felt like I was listening to someone who was very maternal and caring.

I think Princes William and Harry have very nice-sounding voices. They sound very distinguished. Catherine has a nice voice too. She sounds very much at ease, and very cheerful.


The Queen's accent has changed slightly over the years; if you can find a recording of her speaking in the 1950's, you will hear that her 'Received Pronunciation' is very strong. To a linguist, there are several slightly different 'tonal grades' of RP.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
I love hearing HM speak! She's a woman of few words but makes sure that every one of them counts. Beatrice and Eugenie sound quite irritating
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
What does everyone think of Catherine's accent btw? It's very clipped and nasal. She probably got it from her time at school. I'm interested in hearing what Pippa and Carole sound like
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 08-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Molly, I have heard all sorts of claims about the languages spoken by members of the BRF. It is not my specialist topic at all, and therefore I am sure that other members of TRF will know better. However I can suggest:

The Queen: near fluent or even fluent French, depending the sources you believe. The explanation give for her command of the language is that she took tuition because Canada [with the French Speaking Province of Quebec is one of her realms]

She is also believed to speak a little of seveal other European Languages, aquired to enable her to understand a little of what might be said to her at a foreign event or walkabout.


Prince Philip [because he was a Prince of Greece] can speak Danish and German [but not Greek, because the Greek Royal Family of his day was of course 'not of Greek Origin']

Prince Charles has what we called 'school boy French' and school boy German, taught to him at school. This would enable him to communicate in these languages, but not to a high degree of fluency. It is the sort of language level that allows you to 'get by' rather than engage in complicated, grammatically correct conversations.

Prince Andrew and Prince Edward reputedly speak French to the same level as their brother, Princess Anne to a slightly higher standard because she appeared in the 1969 documentary 'Royal Family' attending intensive French lessons at the Berlitz training academy in London.

The Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael [the latter quite fluently since his Army days apparently] all (allegedly) speak Russian, some Danish and some German, apparently aquired through their mother Princess Marina of Greece [who spoke little Greek apparently for the same reason as Prince Philip] as she had a father who spoke Danish and German and a mother of Russian descent.

Princess Michael of Kent speaks German [because of her german-speaking parentage] and also fairly fluent French, because she states that her mother required her to speak French at home in Australia. This may have been due to the fact that her step father was of Polish Descent, but spoke good French and so it was something of a language which the family had in common. Neighbours of Princess Michael before she married and was a London working girl living in the Victoria district of London claimed in newspaper articles that Princess Michael arrived in London with a strong Australian accent, which she quickly modified into an Austrian- accented English.

The Duke of Gloucester speaks some French and German because of his education and some Danish because of his wife, the Duchess of course being of Danish parentage.

The Queen's grandchildren are apparently not fluent in any foreign languge but again studied French and sometimes German at their schools.

I am sure that other people will be able to help you with this more than I can.

Although the English are reputedly poor linguists, sometimes it is not our fault. I speak very good French and German [not fluent, but above school-standard.] But when going on trips abroad for work, because I was in groups of French / German / Italian / Danish / Swedish / Dutch and Spanish nationals (and sometimes even more!) everyone used to speak in English as it was treated as something of a common language.

All my bosses [who were forms of the BP 'Grey men' in education and background [retired Army officers etc] all tended to speak fairly bad French but had all been excellent at Latin at their public schools.

Hope some of this is useful

Alex
Thank you very much for this information. I think as Britains we are quite ignorant of other languages and assume that when we visit their country they will speak English. It is awfully lazy of us. I had imagined the Royal Family would have been taught other languages, particularly French, to socialise and communicate with other Royal Families. I do remember Edward and Sophie attending French lessons at some point, so I am guessing their French has gotten better since then. But it is most probable that when the Royal Family attend weddings and such in Europe, English is the main spoken language.

I often wonder about other European Royal Families and their children and what language that all communicate in. For example, Crown Princess Mary is Australian, so I am guessing her mother tongue was English. Due to this I assume her children can speak Danish and English...but I could be wrong in this assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I love hearing HM speak! She's a woman of few words but makes sure that every one of them counts. Beatrice and Eugenie sound quite irritating
I don't think I have ever heard Beatrice or Eugenie speak. I must try and find a video of them speaking. I must admit I am not a fan of Catherine's voice, mainly because in their engagement interview it sounded as though she was "putting on" her accent slightly, making her sound more Regal. I understand that when you socialise with the Royal Family you adjust your voice to suit the situation, but her voice bothered me slightly. I am sure we get to know her I will grow to love it.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
I don't think I have ever heard Beatrice or Eugenie speak. I must try and find a video of them speaking. I must admit I am not a fan of Catherine's voice, mainly because in their engagement interview it sounded as though she was "putting on" her accent slightly, making her sound more Regal. I understand that when you socialise with the Royal Family you adjust your voice to suit the situation, but her voice bothered me slightly. I am sure we get to know her I will grow to love it.
I think I first heard them on a documentary about them doing some charity work with their mother, which was really lovely.

I understand your point about Catherine: right now her voice does sound very affected (posher than William's). I hope that it'll go as she gets used to being around the royals.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Donovan's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Posts: 32
Here's a video where you can hear Catherine speaking clearly for a few moments in Canada. Her voice does sound a bit huskier, I guess, than in the engagement interview. The accent is also less posh. Of course, this could be due to trying to talk over the crowd, the quality of the camera recording it, etc.

(Warning: it does have some screaming fans in the first few seconds.)

__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dutch Royal House Code of Conduct for the Press (Media Code) Silvermj Dutch Royals 41 06-30-2014 05:15 AM
King Bhumibol Adulyadej's Diamond Jubilee, June 2006 purple_platinum Royal Family of Thailand 414 01-26-2014 03:50 PM
Members of the Royal Family and Line of Succession - Broadest Sense hrhcp Royal House of Denmark 85 07-11-2012 10:20 PM
What Is The Point Of The Gr Family? sky The Royal Family of Greece 82 10-21-2004 01:26 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess eleonore princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]