Royal Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
If a crown princess gives birth to twins and it is the first pregnancy, who will be the heir to the throne? how do they decide? maybe whoever comes out first

Good question. I´ve wondered the same. When it´s a "normal birth" surely the first born is the heir. But I wonder, how it´s in the case of a cesarean (many twins are born this way). Usually one baby is closer to the cut, which the surgeon made. But I guess the surgeon could help a little bit that the prefered child (with the "right" sex) would be taken out firstly. I´m quite sure king Carl Gustaf would have had a talk to the doctor ;) , but I don´t know, how the more "modern" crown princes and princesses today would react (???)

It's an interesting question and would be an interesting prediciment! In most Royal families is the rule still male heir then female, or is it just first born? I'm sure that would have a lot to do with it...but then there's the identical issue, or even same sex twins. If two boys are born then what?

Australian said:
If a crown princess gives birth to twins and it is the first pregnancy, who will be the heir to the throne? how do they decide? maybe whoever comes out first
interesting question, it will be hard to decide . But it depend on culture if he was who coming first or last, I have uncles who were twins, who came first was all the time proud that he was the eldest, until they had a malaysian friends, who believe the eldest is who came last because that means he is generous, then my other uncle became happy:D .

Or may be they will make a toss, especialy if in the case of a cesarean .

in this high-tech era the scientist probably could help in solving the problem by checking which one of the twins babies carried more genetic of the regent parent (can be the queen or the king) the she/he will become heritier, hehehe this is just an idea which has been passing my head but I'm not sure if this is a good way.

galuhcandrakirana said:
in this high-tech era the scientist probably could help in solving the problem by checking which one of the twins babies carried more genetic of the regent parent (can be the queen or the king) the she/he will become heritier, hehehe this is just an idea which has been passing my head but I'm not sure if this is a good way.
While I'm sure it can be done-I think the parents should have to think hard about what the outcome might be. Whether the title holds much responisibility and stress, testing to find out who holds more of the "regents" DNA can be rather dangerous, because it would be like saying, "Well you are more "ROYAL" then your sibling"...ya know?

But on that note, what if the twin were identical? Then what would happen?

In the old days government minister or palace officials witnessed the birth and noted the sex of the child and if the child was born alive. I suppose if the case ever arose they would also have placed the eldest son in a specific spot or tied something around his foot or something. Birth these days aren't witnessed, but I suppose the job now passes to the royal obstaterecian (?).
I don't know of any twin royals, have there ever been? I know that it is rumoured that Louis XIV was a twin. And unfortunately his twin was raised in a dungeon and then they stuck him in an iron mask. So that no claim to the throne was made.
In Britain - who gets to wear the Horiton Lace Christening gown? Different dates for the event perhaps.

i love being as Royal Twins whatsoever if have each girls or each boy or one girl or one boy like Julia Roberts did!

Sara Boyce

Britters said:
DNA can be rather dangerous, because it would be like saying, "Well you are more "ROYAL" then your sibling"...ya know?
Britters said:
But on that note, what if the twin were identical? Then what would happen?
Well, what I meant is there should be a reason in choosing (one of them to be) a regent then legalized it by the law, this will make the other twin can accept that she/he will not be a regent. Just like in the old time when the female knows that just only male can be a regent (even if some one can give a proof that the princess more royal than the prince :D); or at this time in some monarchies where king's children know that the eldest will be a regent (no matter male of female). But you are right there will be another problem if they are identical twins. Geeeezzz......it is really a confusing matter:confused:. The other posibility way is the royal family and the government have to wait until they are adult then let the people to choose/vote.

Well, it depends on the country's "rules"!
For an example, in Denmark, if it was a girl and a boy, the boy would no matter what be the heir! Otherwise it would be the first born....
But we mostly think it's the first born :)

There isn't many Royal twins, are there?? We're twins ourselves and it would be so cool if some Royalty was :)

I saw a Bible movie and someone had twinns-it was Rebecca. They tied a scarlet ribbon around Esau's wrist to signify he was the first born. Of course that later would not matter

Luxembourg is the land of twins. I know what I talk about because I'm also a twin. :D

But there are two examples for royal twins in Luxembourg:

Princess Margaretha (married Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein) and Prince Jean (married Helen Vestur) both born on 15th May 1957. They are the children of Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg!

Charlotte and Leopold (born 2th May 2000), the children of Prince Guillaume (son of Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte) and Sibilla Weiler!

Pictures of Princess Margaretha and Prince Jean:

1. newborn in 1957
2. in 1964 (on the couch)
3. in 1968
4. in 1976

Pictures of Charlotte and Leopold:

1.and 2. on the arms of mother and father
3. and 4. in the home in Betzdorf (Luxembourg)

Attachments

• little Marie Astrid8.jpg
    little Marie Astrid8.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 734
  • Marie Astrid 1964a.jpg
    Marie Astrid 1964a.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 554
  • Maria Astrid y.jpg
    Maria Astrid y.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,321
  • Marie Astrid youth.jpg
    Marie Astrid youth.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,994
  • guillaumelux1963.jpg
    guillaumelux1963.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 466
  • guillaumelux1963-6.jpg
    guillaumelux1963-6.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 402
  • guillaumelux1963-8.jpg
    guillaumelux1963-8.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 609
  • guillaumelux1963-9.jpg
    guillaumelux1963-9.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 747
i believe that in the case of when a country has the birth of twin boys. the first born twin will be the one placed ahead of his twin in the succession. despite the fact that they are twins, and just because of the fact that he happened to be born before he was. even though, it was only a few minutes difference.

Usually they can tell by Cesarian which child will be born first if it were a natural birth. I'm sure they would make every effort to remove that one first.

If it is a mixed sex twins (boy and girl) the boy always takes precidence even in cases where theh woman can inherit the throne.

Yes,Sara it will be so fanstastic if Royal Female has Twins one girl and one boy.

Princess Irene of the Netherlands And her ex-husband Prince Carl Hugo of Bourbon de Parma have twins too.
The rebel princess Magaretha of bourbon de parma is the twinsister of Prince Jaime.

Well adopt a presidential system as solution? Or do it like the roman emperors: Adopt the heir by choice!

you are forgetting a main thing with twins.
one baby is usually healthier than the other.
twins not only share their mother's belly but they also share the nutrients and instead of having one healthy baby weighing in at 7 pounds you get two babies weighing each 4 to 6 pounds.
the healthier one would most likely be picked to reign because they would not have as many health problems associated with being a twin.

A Royal Question

I'm really curious...were there ever twins born as first-born children to Kings and Queens (ala Man in The Iron Mask movie)? :confused:

I suppose the first one born would have to be the heir but what problems were encountered by the royal family?

I'm really intrigued by situations like this...so please enlighten me if you can. thanks. :cool:

Good question, Moby!

I think Prince Rainier of Monaco was a twin but his twin was a sister so he would have taken precendence regardless.

No they weren't twins...Rainier was born year 1923, his sister 1920. :)
The situation would be very interesting if the twins were identical though... what if they were both boys and look identical and could actually trade places... hmmm...

Yeah, you're right moby. They weren't. I've looked and haven't found another set of royal twins. Interesting.

Maybe Letizia or Mary will deliver twins! :)

The weird thing would be...a person's destiny will be decided by the minute or so that he or she is born ahead of his or her sister, especially if the Salic Law does not apply to their country.

The concept of royalty amazes me.

moby said:
No they weren't twins...Rainier was born year 1923, his sister 1920. :)
The situation would be very interesting if the twins were identical though... what if they were both boys and look identical and could actually trade places... hmmm...

Well, I think as eager Royal watchers, we are, we could differ them (especially when they are female and interested in fashion :p ). Even identical twins have their characteristics.
I´m sure this situation happened in a monarchy before...but I can´t think of an example in the nearer past. But I wouldn´t mind to see it in the nearer future. This sounds like an extremely interesting social experiment ;)

Don't know..but we are about to experience twins in a royal family when Princess Claire of Belgium gives birth...

While the children weren't born to reigning monarchs, HIH Prince Charles Bonaparte, The Prince Napoleon (current Bonaparte claimant) & his sister, HIH Princess Catherine are twins but since they were both of a different sex there wasn't any dispute as to the succession to the claim.

i dont think that this is a hard question. whoever goes out first will, obviously, be the eldest. therefore, he will be the heir to the thrown. no twins are ever born at the same time. if woman can't rule then the boy will be heir to the thrown.

Suppose the twins are delivered by Ceasarean section? Then, in effect, the doctor delivering the babies would determine which becomes the heir to the throne. Also, suppose the twins are delivered naturally, but are identical? Would it be necessary to "mark" one in order to make sure there is no confusion about which is the future king or queen?

Future sovereigns are determined by a whim of nature, this scenario would be almost too much of a whim, almost an embarrassment of "the system."

Back
Top Bottom