The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Courtier

A Royal Question

I'm really curious...were there ever twins born as first-born children to Kings and Queens (ala Man in The Iron Mask movie)?

I suppose the first one born would have to be the heir but what problems were encountered by the royal family?

I'm really intrigued by situations like this...so please enlighten me if you can. thanks.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Good question, Moby!

I think Prince Rainier of Monaco was a twin but his twin was a sister so he would have taken precendence regardless.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Courtier

No they weren't twins...Rainier was born year 1923, his sister 1920. :)
The situation would be very interesting if the twins were identical though... what if they were both boys and look identical and could actually trade places... hmmm...

Old 09-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Yeah, you're right moby. They weren't. I've looked and haven't found another set of royal twins. Interesting.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Maybe Letizia or Mary will deliver twins! :)

The weird thing would be...a person's destiny will be decided by the minute or so that he or she is born ahead of his or her sister, especially if the Salic Law does not apply to their country.

The concept of royalty amazes me.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby
No they weren't twins...Rainier was born year 1923, his sister 1920. :)
The situation would be very interesting if the twins were identical though... what if they were both boys and look identical and could actually trade places... hmmm...
Well, I think as eager Royal watchers, we are, we could differ them (especially when they are female and interested in fashion :p ). Even identical twins have their characteristics.
I´m sure this situation happened in a monarchy before...but I can´t think of an example in the nearer past. But I wouldn´t mind to see it in the nearer future. This sounds like an extremely interesting social experiment
Old 09-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Royal Highness

Don't know..but we are about to experience twins in a royal family when Princess Claire of Belgium gives birth...
Old 09-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Courtier

While the children weren't born to reigning monarchs, HIH Prince Charles Bonaparte, The Prince Napoleon (current Bonaparte claimant) & his sister, HIH Princess Catherine are twins but since they were both of a different sex there wasn't any dispute as to the succession to the claim.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Commoner

i dont think that this is a hard question. whoever goes out first will, obviously, be the eldest. therefore, he will be the heir to the thrown. no twins are ever born at the same time. if woman can't rule then the boy will be heir to the thrown.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Nobility

Suppose the twins are delivered by Ceasarean section? Then, in effect, the doctor delivering the babies would determine which becomes the heir to the throne. Also, suppose the twins are delivered naturally, but are identical? Would it be necessary to "mark" one in order to make sure there is no confusion about which is the future king or queen?

Future sovereigns are determined by a whim of nature, this scenario would be almost too much of a whim, almost an embarrassment of "the system."
Old 09-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby
Maybe Letizia or Mary will deliver twins! :)

The weird thing would be...a person's destiny will be decided by the minute or so that he or she is born ahead of his or her sister, especially if the Salic Law does not apply to their country.

The concept of royalty amazes me.
CP Mary and CP letizia dont have twins baby no! but both have one baby but only Princess Claire had it

Sara Boyce
Old 09-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher
Suppose the twins are delivered by Ceasarean section? Then, in effect, the doctor delivering the babies would determine which becomes the heir to the throne. Also, suppose the twins are delivered naturally, but are identical? Would it be necessary to "mark" one in order to make sure there is no confusion about which is the future king or queen?

Future sovereigns are determined by a whim of nature, this scenario would be almost too much of a whim, almost an embarrassment of "the system."
yes! mostly! many million doctors have to agree to pregnant mothers to be for schedules c-section to delivers of twins OR Claire would try to delivers of natural birth but i think natural birth its too dangerous for twins to delivers!

my Aunt had 2 c-section when my cousin was born one girl born by 10lbs and one boy born by 11lbs both was big baby! and my cousin had first time c-section when her son was born

and my cousin told me she had emergency c-section for first time and she really scary of c-section and she show me of her scars after birth but her daughter not had c-section her daughter was in natural birth and her son was in c-section.

I told my mom about i would plans have c-section because i had history of medical and also i had sezuires but i would have safety for me in c-section no matters for me but we need to deals with doctors they ahead to c-section.

Sara Boyce
Old 09-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Royal Highness

Mary, Queen of Scots miscarried twins when she had been imprisoned after Darnley's murder. She already had her son James, but I believe the twins were boys, and if they had lived, there would have been a great fight over who was the eldest.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Gentry

I think poor health care kept the number of surviving twins down in the past. However it would be interesting. And I don't think the baby would need to be marked since with all the identical twins I know their parents and others close to them can tell them apart even if the majority of people couldn't. However I suppose there still could be a great conspirisy with the court swapping the children when one shows more promise or something.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Majesty

now there is twins in belgium
Old 12-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

So if it was a boy and a girl and the girl was born first the boy would still be the next in line for the throne??
Old 12-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will's princess
So if it was a boy and a girl and the girl was born first the boy would still be the next in line for the throne??
That depends on the counties laws about this. Some counties put males higher than females in the line for the thorne and other counties just do it by order of birth. I know that Princess Ingrid Alexandra of norway is higher than her brother in the line for the throne.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Royal twins?

What happens if twins are born as the first two children of a monarch/heir?

Does the 'firstborn' twin get the throne? Toss of a coin?

Has it ever happened?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Serene Highness

As far as I know there have been no twin heirs to a throne born in the last few centuries to any of the European monarchs. I could very well be wrong. But if it were to happen, the heir would most likely be the "oldest" twin in a monarchy that didn't grant hereditary rights to males over females, or to the first born male in a monarchy that did.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Courtier

I don't think it has ever happend, in a case where twins were born to a direct heir to the throne. With the Belgium princes the oldest twin is higher then the younger. Of course it would also depend if they were boy/girl twins and what the rules of sucession are in that country. I think the general rule is the oldest twin would be higher then the younger.