The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
it's said in the news that Prince Charles is going to buy a Toyota Prius hybrid car recently
Well that hardly comes as a surprise:) But I think their a bit too complicated (the hybrid system), but if it does something to help the environment..

Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Courtier

My friend has a Toyota Prius, and all that talk about how they're a pain and too complicated is just wrong. It's a really efficient little car and it's a Toyota (so it is very well-made). The prius is a great way to conserve gas. Plus, it's not like Charles needs to go off-roading or be a soccer mom, so a small and practical car makes sense.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD
I think the sultan is just overdoing. hahaha. And the family of Brunei is also overdoing it with jewels. If they are so wealthy, and are able to buy these things, why not give a large amount of money to some charity?
well just because they have a lot of cars and jewels doesnt mean they dont give money to charity.
I read somewhere that when the Sultan's daughter (his eldest i believe) turned 18 he bought her an airbus. The family is so private it would be difficult to figure out how they spend their money (aside from the cars and jewels I mean)
I should mention though that the BRF has a lot of adopted family members. As I found out from discussions with the bruneian members on this board, the sultan and queen make sure their adopted children are well cared for. Some of their adopted kids are african orphans. Here's two of them with Princess Azemah http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=167349
I would say thats a pretty good way of sharing one's wealth with people who dont have as much :)
Still, Im not saying Im for such extravagance. Even with the Sultan's huge household, I dont think he needs as many cars and planes.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
My friend has a Toyota Prius, and all that talk about how they're a pain and too complicated is just wrong. It's a really efficient little car and it's a Toyota (so it is very well-made). The prius is a great way to conserve gas. Plus, it's not like Charles needs to go off-roading or be a soccer mom, so a small and practical car makes sense.
I only had the idea exlained to me yesterday, and (keeping in mind, my hobby is Royalty, not cars ) seems a complicated idea. That's all I meant, nothing against the car..
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
well just because they have a lot of cars and jewels doesnt mean they dont give money to charity.
I read somewhere that when the Sultan's daughter (his eldest i believe) turned 18 he bought her an airbus. The family is so private it would be difficult to figure out how they spend their money (aside from the cars and jewels I mean)
I should mention though that the BRF has a lot of adopted family members. As I found out from discussions with the bruneian members on this board, the sultan and queen make sure their adopted children are well cared for. Some of their adopted kids are african orphans. Here's two of them with Princess Azemah http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=167349
I would say thats a pretty good way of sharing one's wealth with people who dont have as much :)
Still, Im not saying Im for such extravagance. Even with the Sultan's huge household, I dont think he needs as many cars and planes.
That is true. Prince Jefri (the controversial brother of the Sultan) has 50 children, and most of them are adopted.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Gentry

Young royals..and..their cars..

Hey do u guys know what the younger royals drive? I heard that Prince William drives a Ford Focus...
Old 07-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Courtier

You must be kidding. Prince William has a Focus - like me? Nah
Old 07-30-2005, 01:41 AM
Nobility

http://cache.corbis.com/CorbisImage/...F15-364831.jpg

Prince William drives a VW Golf!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Madeleine drives a black Lexus
Old 07-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Courtier

Didn´t we have pics of Andrea Casiraghi´s silver Porsche(?).Caroline was driving the car around the days of Rainier´s death. I remember that I was quite suprised to see thta young Andrea is driving such a car...
Old 07-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Madeleine with her Lexus RX300
Old 07-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Gentry

Well, I was watching Larry King, and there was a question on what Prince William drives, and the one who answered was this Biographer buy of William, and he said he saw William drive a Ford Focus, and he said he doesn't really drive flashy cars!!! That's what he said!!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
Well, I was watching Larry King, and there was a question on what Prince William drives, and the one who answered was this Biographer buy of William, and he said he saw William drive a Ford Focus, and he said he doesn't really drive flashy cars!!! That's what he said!!
First, Larry King's show are often wrong on about everything when it come to monarchy.
I know what show you are talking about though, and it was a good one.
William passed his driving license on a Ford Focus (a blue one). It was his first car. But he did receive a luxury vintage car for its 18 (which I've never seen him drive). And obviously he now has a Golf since we have photographic proof :) .
He also has a motorbike.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Gentry

Thank U ^^ Indriel..thanks for clarifying!!

you guys post more pics of William driving...plz
Old 07-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
Thank U ^^ Indriel..thanks for clarifying!!

you guys post more pics of William driving...plz
To moderators: I am really sorry I can't tell where the pics are from as they are old and I can't remember. I will delete them if it's a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_36104564_william300.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	174673   Click image for larger version

Name:	_39164442_prince_drive_ap300.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	174674   Click image for larger version

Name:	762977_04.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	174675   Click image for larger version

Name:	poloshirt.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	174677  

Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William loves to go really fast. Is that the motorcycle he got for his bithday. i read that he got one for his birthday.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

yeah that's it.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Gentry

Royals Behind the Wheel

The pictorial threads displaying the gorgeous young Paola showed a few photos where she seemed to take pleasure in showing off her driving expertise. There was one photo of her driving Albert in 1959, another of her about to climb behind the wheel of some little European compact in the sixties, and a fairly recent photo of her driving a Smart Car.

I know Prince Laurent recently got in trouble for his speed-demon ways. Does anyone know if all the royals frequently drive themselves? I assume all the men of the family do, but what about Fabiola and Mathilde?

Any replies would be much appreciated. I'm interested in royals and in cars, so royals driving cars...
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Serene Highness

Here's a few threads I found about royals and their cars

Royal Cars
Royal Transportation (Cars, Carriages, etc)

Royal Transportation (cars, etc.)
Royal Transportation (Cars, Carriages, etc)

'unofficial' cars of danish members
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=6317

Hope you like!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Gentry

Thank you very much, BeccaLynn, for taking the trouble to post those.

Since Queen Ingrid was fond of taking the wheel, I suppose each of her daughters at least learned how to drive, whether or not they frequently do it. I've read on another board that Ingrid was caught speeding in her Jaguar around 1989, though I don't know if she was actually penalized. I also know that each of the British, Monagasque and Spanish royals also drive themselves much of the time, though Queen Sofia - surprisingly - is the only Spanish royal to be fined for speeding. Martha Louise of Norway recently got her trucking license for the sake of transporting her horses, Mette-Marit was recently in the news for illegally parking her Volvo SUV, and Maxima of the Netherlands had a well-publicized fender-bender while Prince Willem was riding shotgun just before their wedding.

I suppose every royal adult has a driver's license, since it is the 21st century. But if anyone has any other anecdotes/photos of the Belgian royals driving, I'd love to know about them (I suppose I should ask it be confined to the Belgians since I put this under this thread ).