Royal Staff

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy1716

Nobility
City
london
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really sure where to post this so i hope no one minds me putting it here.

I was wondering if we could give list of the numbers off staff each royal family has working for it? I'm intrested too see how some manage with relatively small staffs whilst others have much larger ones.

I've read figures somewhere before for some royal houses'. I think i read that the danish royal court had about 180 staff, and i've read a couple of times on here that the Dutch royals have around 800 staff. I was wondering if anyone could give a number for the british royals as i've read all sorts of figures from 300 - 1,000?!
Also what about the royal courts of Sweden and Norway? And of course not forgetting the "smaller" royal courts of Luxembourg and Monaco etc.

Thanks in advance

Per the reports of the moneys paid by the Civil List (reports are available at Welcome to the official web site of the British Monarchy I think), HM The Queen employs about 300 people in an official capacity (although it's possible that's only for Buck House; I'm not sure). I would imagine she employs another couple dozen privately at Balmoral and Sandringham. Not sure about Charles & Camilla.

Oh, and you could argue that the Queen's staff 'truly' numbers in the tens upon tens of thousands, as the Army, Navy, and Air Force are all technically hers. Would be a bit of a silly argument though.

(What? oh no no no, this is abuse. You want room 205, down the hall...)

I'm not really sure where to post this so i hope no one minds me putting it here.

I was wondering if we could give list of the numbers off staff each royal family has working for it? I'm intrested too see how some manage with relatively small staffs whilst others have much larger ones.

I've read figures somewhere before for some royal houses'. I think i read that the danish royal court had about 180 staff, and i've read a couple of times on here that the Dutch royals have around 800 staff. I was wondering if anyone could give a number for the british royals as i've read all sorts of figures from 300 - 1,000?!
Also what about the royal courts of Sweden and Norway? And of course not forgetting the "smaller" royal courts of Luxembourg and Monaco etc.

Thanks in advance
According to the annual report for 2007, the Norwegian court (including Skaugum farm, and the concept Open Palace) had 152 members of staff at the end of the year.

In connection with bigger arrangements they hire on chefs and waiters, and in the summer season they have seasonal gardeners hired on.

364 people were paid their wages by the Norwegian court in 2007. http://www.kongehuset.no/c27428/binfil/download.php?tid=71253

"The number of permanent employees totals 203, equivalent to 188.2 full-time employees, of which 53% are women and 47% are men."

If just found this on the website for the Swedish Royal FAmily.

Does anybody know about the royal families of Luxembourg and Belgium?

I was just reading about Sir Robert Fellowes on wikipedia. I was amazed to read that he was paid only about 10,000 pounds a year while he was private secretary to HM. Of course, he also had a grace and favor residence at Kensington Palace for many years.

The article claimed that he resigned earlier than might have been expected because of stress (he was in that position during the Diana/Morton/divorce years) and the fact that he needed to make up for lost earnings before he retired for good.

He has always struck me as a rather enigmatic character -- and isn't it odd that the private secretary in the movie The Queen was based on his successor, rather than himself? It would have been a much more interesting character IMO to see the man divided between loyalty to Queen and loyalty to Diana and the Spencers.

I was just reading about Sir Robert Fellowes on wikipedia. I was amazed to read that he was paid only about 10,000 pounds a year while he was private secretary to HM. Of course, he also had a grace and favor residence at Kensington Palace for many years.
I think it is the book The Queen at home which also suggest that the royal staff isn't really all that well-paid, and job-advertisements I've seen for positions at the Palace suggests the same thing.

Of course, having worked for royalty definitely would be something to have on your CV, so one thing might even the other one out. :ermm:

Bear in mind of course that most jobs in Buck House (and, one would imagine Windsor, as well as Balmoral and Sandringham) come with apartments included. If you factor out the cost of home ownership or renting, 10K sterling a year is not an awful wage. Especially since HM's private secretaries tend (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) tend to be titled in their own right and thus have other income.

they have appartments, but do they also have food? just curious... ;)

Especially since HM's private secretaries tend (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) tend to be titled in their own right and thus have other income.

I think you're thinking of the Lord Chamberlain. They are always peers and, at least recently, are brought in from the private sector. The private secretaries usually come from the upper classes, but I don't think most of them have had very many private holdings.

Oh, I was under the impression that private secretaries have a knighthood at the very least.

According to wikipedia, Fellowes was given a life peerage after he retired from the Queen's service (he's a knight/baron). James Whitaker claims that the Queen is quite fond of Fellowes and takes an active interest in his life (and that of his family), for reasons separate from his family ties to William and Harry.

I knew that he was the son of the Queen's Land Agent at Sandringham and, presumably, he was in the vicinity of the young Spencers who lived at Park House on the Sandringham estate (although, like the PoW, he was so much older than his future wife that they probably didn't interact much). I wonder if he wasn't born on the estate also, like the Spencer children? Wikipedia doesn't exactly say.

Genealogically, he is related to the Bowes-Lyons, the Duchess of York (a first cousin once removed) and actor Julian Fellowes.

He doesn't seem to have a university degree, having attended Eton College and then serving in the Scots Guards briefly. Then he went into the banking industry, I'm presuming more on the strength of his connections than on experience or education. From what I've read he's quite competent although maybe a little short on emotional intelligence.

Maybe I've been calling him the wrong title, wiki says he's Lord Fellowes.

Does anyone know if the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg have staff? Are they paid for by official expenses or the family themselves? Does anybody know how many staff they have?

This is taken from the UK's Daily Mail, the article is about the UK Royals finances but there is a small table with the official costs from other European countries. The figures come from research from somewhere else though i think.

UK £41.5million
Holland £33.8million
Norway £23.9million
Belgium £11.7million
Denmark £10.5million
Sweden £10.2million
Spain £7.4million
Luxembourg £7.2million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-seabed.html

I believe the House of H.M. the King (of Spain) employs a staff of 100 or so personel in 2004.

Not included with the household staff are those employed by the National Heritage which maintains Spanish Royal Sites, nor military personel detailed to the king and the royal family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom