The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2004, 04:26 AM
Aristocracy

Just of curiosity which of the royal families are closely related by virtue of marriage or any other manner.There are many royals who are today still related by arranged marriages.Such as the Greek royal family who have ties with Demark and Spain since Sofia is a greek princess and Ana Marie is a danish princesse.Also Queen Ingrid of Denmark is a Swedish princess by Birth so Victoria of Sweden Granddad is her Brother.Weird her nephew and grand niece are the future monarch of spain and her daughters are the Queens of Greece and Denmark.

C if u can think of any more close relations between the royals of today.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

King Albert of the Belgians is the brother of (former) grand duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxemburg.

And Albert and JC are cousins of Harald of Norway (their mothers were sisters).

Old 04-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

italian royals and belgian royals.queen Marie_jose of italy is king Albert of Belgium aunt"king Albert and Prince Vittoro emanuele are first cousins"
crownprince Alexander of yogoslavia and king Constntine of greece are cousins.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Gentry

HM Queen Sofia of Spain is sister of HM King Konstantinos II of the Hellenes and they are first cousins of HRH Prince Ernst August of Hannover.

HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is sister of HM Queen Anne Marie of the Hellenes. They are first cousins of HM King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

HM King Harald V of Norway is first cousin of HM King Albert II of the Belgians and HRH Grand-duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.

HM Queen Anna of Romania is first cousin of HRH Grand-duke Jean I of Luxembourg, HIRH Archduke Otto of Austria and HRH Duke Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma, and they are cousins of HM King Simeon II of the Bulgarians.

HRH Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuel of Italy is first cousin of HM King Albert II of the Belgians and HRH Grand-duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.

HRH Crown Prince Aleksandr of Serbia is first cousin of TM King Konstantinos II of the Hellenes and Queen Sofia of Spain, HRH Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuel of Italy and HRH Prince Nikola of Montenegro.

HSH Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha married his first cousin HM Queen Victoria I of Great-Britain; their first cousin HSH Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha married HM Queen Maria II of Portugal (he took the style of HM King Fernando II).

HSH Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, uncle of HRH Prince Albert and HM King Fernando II, was elected King of Belgium (HM King Léopold I of the Belgians); HSH Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, nephew of HM King Léopold I was elected King of Bulgaria (HM King Ferdinand I of the Bulgarians).

The descendents of these four Couburgs (Albert, Fernando II, Léopold I and Ferdinand I) are the Heads of the most Royal, Imperial and Grand-ducal Houses of Europe, including the Queen of Great-Britain and Denmark, the Kings of Spain, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Romania, Greece and Bulgaria, the Grand-duke of Luxembourg, the Crown Princes of Italy and Serbia and the Heads of the Royal House of Portugal and the Imperial House of Germany.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Serene Highness

I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!!
Old 04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by kittencrews@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!!
I agree with you.

From what I know well, the French and the Brazilian royal families are actually the same family.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by renats+Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kittencrews@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it&#39;s easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi&#39;s... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also&#33;&#33;&nbsp;
I agree with you.

From what I know well, the French and the Brazilian royal families are actually the same family. [/b][/quote]
No, the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family: HM King Pedro IV of Portugal was HIM Emperor Pedro I of Brazil. His eldest daughter was HM Queen Maria II of Portugal and his yougest son was HIM Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

HIM Emperor Pedro I married HIRH Archduchess Leopoldine of Austria and HSH Princess Amelie of Leuchtenberg.

HIM Emperor Pedro II (son of HIM Empress Leopoldine) married HRH Princess Tereza Cristina of Bourbon Two-Sicilies.

HIH Crown Princess Isabel (Head of the Imperial House) married HRH Prince Gaston of France (who took the style HIH Prince Gastão of Brazil).

HIH Princess Isabel (great-daughter of HIH Crown Princess Isabel) married HRH Prince Henri of France, count of Paris (comte de Paris), and took the style HIRH Princess Isabelle of France, countess of Paris (comtesse de Paris).

So we can see there are two marriages between the Brazilian Imperial Family and the French Royal Family, but of course both families are not the same one... &#39;&#39;the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family&#39;&#39;
Old 04-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki+Apr 30th, 2004 - 4:30 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helleniki @ Apr 30th, 2004 - 4:30 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by renats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am
<!--QuoteBegin-kittencrews
Quote:
@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it&#39;s easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi&#39;s... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also&#33;&#33;*&nbsp;

I agree with you.

From what I know well, the French and the Brazilian royal families are actually the same family.
No, the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family: HM King Pedro IV of Portugal was HIM Emperor Pedro I of Brazil. His eldest daughter was HM Queen Maria II of Portugal and his yougest son was HIM Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

HIM Emperor Pedro I married HIRH Archduchess Leopoldine of Austria and HSH Princess Amelie of Leuchtenberg.

HIM Emperor Pedro II (son of HIM Empress Leopoldine) married HRH Princess Tereza Cristina of Bourbon Two-Sicilies.

HIH Crown Princess Isabel (Head of the Imperial House) married HRH Prince Gaston of France (who took the style HIH Prince Gastão of Brazil).

HIH Princess Isabel (great-daughter of HIH Crown Princess Isabel) married HRH Prince Henri of France, count of Paris (comte de Paris), and took the style HIRH Princess Isabelle of France, countess of Paris (comtesse de Paris).

So we can see there are two marriages between the Brazilian Imperial Family and the French Royal Family, but of course both families are not the same one... &#39;&#39;the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family&#39;&#39; [/b][/quote]
From what I know, the portuguese is the same one too. I have an article of a French family reunion and the brazilian family was there. And it was saying that they&#39;re are all one family. They&#39;re all De orleans e bragança/d&#39;orleans an braganza/etc.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

you forget add one&#33;

I watch Queen&#39;s story that HM Queen Marthage of Denmark been close to HM Queen 2 of Great Britain i knew about it because both is Cousin&#33;

Sara Boyce
Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Nobility

Also (no royals but related with) the wife of King Simeon II of Bulgaria, Margarita Gómez Acebo, are is cousin of the husband of Infanta Pilar of Spain, Luis Gómez Acebo y de Estrada.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow...is there still a Royal family in France??&#33;?&#33;?&#33;?

I thought they were all gone after the revolution...can some one kind enough tell

me more about the French Royalties because i definitely want to knoe more&#33;&#33;&#33;

BYE ^^
Old 05-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Courtier

Well, they&#39;re not in power...but they do exist. They&#39;re not Princes/Princesses of France to my knowledge, though. They&#39;ve become mediatized (saw that word on another topic, heh, am I using it right?). Think it&#39;s Prince/Princess d&#39;Orleans. Somethin&#39; like that.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 AM
Aristocracy

B) I think the Royal family of the Netherlands are the most NOT closely related of the reigning families
Old 05-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by renats+Apr 30th, 2004 - 10:45 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Apr 30th, 2004 - 10:45 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki@Apr 30th, 2004 - 4:30 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by renats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am
<!--QuoteBegin-kittencrews
Quote:
Quote:
@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it&#39;s easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi&#39;s... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also&#33;&#33;**

I agree with you.

So we can see there are two marriages between the Brazilian Imperial Family and the French Royal Family, but of course both families are not the same one... &#39;&#39;the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family&#39;&#39;
From what I know, the portuguese is the same one too. I have an article of a French family reunion and the brazilian family was there. And it was saying that they&#39;re are all one family. They&#39;re all De orleans e bragança/d&#39;orleans an braganza/etc. [/b][/quote]
If you say that, you say the Danish, the Greek and the Norwaygean Royal Families are the same family&#33;...

The French Royal Family are Órleans.
The Portuguese Royal Family are Brangança.
The Brazilian Imperial Family are Orleães e Bragança.

Three different families with ties between them... That&#39;s it... Point.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki@May 14th, 2004 - 6:37 pm
That&#39;s it... Point.
NO
Old 05-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by renats+May 14th, 2004 - 7:36 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ May 14th, 2004 - 7:36 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helleniki@May 14th, 2004 - 6:37 pm
That&#39;s it... Point.
NO [/b][/quote]
No what?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Nobility

The Duke of Edinburgh is either the cousin of King Constintine or the cousin of Constintine&#39;s father. Prince Phillip was a Prince of Greece and Denmark prior to his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth.

The Grimaldi&#39;s are some of the least connected to the rest of European families.

Queen Victoria was know as the "Grandmother of Europe" because her many children married into other royal families - Sweden, Germany etc. Christian IX of Denmark was known as the "Father-in-law" of Europe because his 6 children married into other reigning families or they asked one of his younger sons to become king of X country.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD
B) I think the Royal family of the Netherlands are the most NOT closely related of the reigning families
Wrong, they are related to many families.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, that depends on how you define closely related. The other royal families of europe have closer ties (except Monaco).
As both Wilhelmina as Juliana were only children, there weren t many dutch royals to get related to either. Hendrik of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Wilhelmina's husband) was the half brother of the famous Grand Duchess Maria-Pavlovna of Russia & an uncle to Queen Alexandrine of Denmark and Crownprincess Cecilie of Germany (and Prussia)/ Via Maria Pavlovna the Orange-Nassaus are related to the Kents & Prussians. But I do not think that Queen Beatrix considers them as family these days. Queen Juliana's closest friends were these cousins however; Princess Kira Kirillovna of Prussia (nee GD of Russia) and Princess Marina of Kent (nee Pss of Greece and Denmark) and through the Waldeck-line her cousin Sybilla of Sweden (nee Pss of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

But the line ended there, Bernhard had (almost) no family ties, neither did Claus or Pieter etc. The only one who married equal after Wilhelminas marriage was the (much discussed) marriage of Princess Irene to Prince Carlos-Hugo de Bourbon-Parma (who is a nephew of the late Empress Zita of Austria and the late Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg & a Princess of Italy.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Nobility

Royal Relations

Which countries' royals have close relationships, possibly alliances, with other countries' royals?