Family relations between European royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hania

Aristocracy
:huh: Just of curiosity which of the royal families are closely related by virtue of marriage or any other manner.There are many royals who are today still related by arranged marriages.Such as the Greek royal family who have ties with Demark and Spain since Sofia is a greek princess and Ana Marie is a danish princesse.Also Queen Ingrid of Denmark is a Swedish princess by Birth so Victoria of Sweden Granddad is her Brother.Weird her nephew and grand niece are the future monarch of spain and her daughters are the Queens of Greece and Denmark. :blush:

C if u can think of any more close relations between the royals of today. :innocent:

King Albert of the Belgians is the brother of (former) grand duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxemburg.

And Albert and JC are cousins of Harald of Norway (their mothers were sisters).

italian royals and belgian royals.queen Marie_jose of italy is king Albert of Belgium aunt"king Albert and Prince Vittoro emanuele are first cousins"
crownprince Alexander of yogoslavia and king Constntine of greece are cousins.

HM Queen Sofia of Spain is sister of HM King Konstantinos II of the Hellenes and they are first cousins of HRH Prince Ernst August of Hannover.

HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is sister of HM Queen Anne Marie of the Hellenes. They are first cousins of HM King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

HM King Harald V of Norway is first cousin of HM King Albert II of the Belgians and HRH Grand-duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.

HM Queen Anna of Romania is first cousin of HRH Grand-duke Jean I of Luxembourg, HIRH Archduke Otto of Austria and HRH Duke Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma, and they are cousins of HM King Simeon II of the Bulgarians.

HRH Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuel of Italy is first cousin of HM King Albert II of the Belgians and HRH Grand-duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.

HRH Crown Prince Aleksandr of Serbia is first cousin of TM King Konstantinos II of the Hellenes and Queen Sofia of Spain, HRH Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuel of Italy and HRH Prince Nikola of Montenegro.

HSH Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha married his first cousin HM Queen Victoria I of Great-Britain; their first cousin HSH Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha married HM Queen Maria II of Portugal (he took the style of HM King Fernando II).

HSH Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, uncle of HRH Prince Albert and HM King Fernando II, was elected King of Belgium (HM King Léopold I of the Belgians); HSH Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, nephew of HM King Léopold I was elected King of Bulgaria (HM King Ferdinand I of the Bulgarians).

The descendents of these four Couburgs (Albert, Fernando II, Léopold I and Ferdinand I) are the Heads of the most Royal, Imperial and Grand-ducal Houses of Europe, including the Queen of Great-Britain and Denmark, the Kings of Spain, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Romania, Greece and Bulgaria, the Grand-duke of Luxembourg, the Crown Princes of Italy and Serbia and the Heads of the Royal House of Portugal and the Imperial House of Germany.

I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!! :innocent:

Originally posted by kittencrews@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!! :innocent:
I agree with you.

From what I know well, the French and the Brazilian royal families are actually the same family.

Originally posted by renats+Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kittencrews@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!!  :innocent:
I agree with you.

From what I know well, the French and the Brazilian royal families are actually the same family. [/b][/quote]
No, the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family: HM King Pedro IV of Portugal was HIM Emperor Pedro I of Brazil. His eldest daughter was HM Queen Maria II of Portugal and his yougest son was HIM Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

HIM Emperor Pedro I married HIRH Archduchess Leopoldine of Austria and HSH Princess Amelie of Leuchtenberg.

HIM Emperor Pedro II (son of HIM Empress Leopoldine) married HRH Princess Tereza Cristina of Bourbon Two-Sicilies.

HIH Crown Princess Isabel (Head of the Imperial House) married HRH Prince Gaston of France (who took the style HIH Prince Gastão of Brazil).

HIH Princess Isabel (great-daughter of HIH Crown Princess Isabel) married HRH Prince Henri of France, count of Paris (comte de Paris), and took the style HIRH Princess Isabelle of France, countess of Paris (comtesse de Paris).

So we can see there are two marriages between the Brazilian Imperial Family and the French Royal Family, but of course both families are not the same one... ''the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family''

Originally posted by helleniki+Apr 30th, 2004 - 4:30 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helleniki @ Apr 30th, 2004 - 4:30 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by renats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am
<!--QuoteBegin-kittencrews
@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!!   :innocent:

I agree with you.

From what I know well, the French and the Brazilian royal families are actually the same family.
No, the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family: HM King Pedro IV of Portugal was HIM Emperor Pedro I of Brazil. His eldest daughter was HM Queen Maria II of Portugal and his yougest son was HIM Emperor Pedro II of Brazil.

HIM Emperor Pedro I married HIRH Archduchess Leopoldine of Austria and HSH Princess Amelie of Leuchtenberg.

HIM Emperor Pedro II (son of HIM Empress Leopoldine) married HRH Princess Tereza Cristina of Bourbon Two-Sicilies.

HIH Crown Princess Isabel (Head of the Imperial House) married HRH Prince Gaston of France (who took the style HIH Prince Gastão of Brazil).

HIH Princess Isabel (great-daughter of HIH Crown Princess Isabel) married HRH Prince Henri of France, count of Paris (comte de Paris), and took the style HIRH Princess Isabelle of France, countess of Paris (comtesse de Paris).

So we can see there are two marriages between the Brazilian Imperial Family and the French Royal Family, but of course both families are not the same one... ''the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family'' [/b][/quote]
From what I know, the portuguese is the same one too. I have an article of a French family reunion and the brazilian family was there. And it was saying that they're are all one family. They're all De orleans e bragança/d'orleans an braganza/etc.

you forget add one!

I watch Queen's story that HM Queen Marthage of Denmark been close to HM Queen 2 of Great Britain i knew about it because both is Cousin!

Sara Boyce

Also (no royals but related with) the wife of King Simeon II of Bulgaria, Margarita Gómez Acebo, are is cousin of the husband of Infanta Pilar of Spain, Luis Gómez Acebo y de Estrada.

Wow...is there still a Royal family in France??!?!?!?

I thought they were all gone after the revolution...can some one kind enough tell

me more about the French Royalties because i definitely want to knoe more!!!

BYE ^^

Well, they're not in power...but they do exist. They're not Princes/Princesses of France to my knowledge, though. They've become mediatized (saw that word on another topic, heh, am I using it right?). Think it's Prince/Princess d'Orleans. Somethin' like that.

B) I think the Royal family of the Netherlands are the most NOT closely related of the reigning families :unsure:

Originally posted by renats+Apr 30th, 2004 - 10:45 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Apr 30th, 2004 - 10:45 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by helleniki@Apr 30th, 2004 - 4:30 pm
Originally posted by renats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 12:33 am
<!--QuoteBegin-kittencrews
@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:42 pm
I think it's easier to ask who in royalty is NOT closely related... hmm... the Grimaldi's... but if you count Ernst that knocks them out also!!   :innocent:

I agree with you.

So we can see there are two marriages between the Brazilian Imperial Family and the French Royal Family, but of course both families are not the same one... ''the Brazilian Imperial Family is a branch of the Portuguese Royal Family''
From what I know, the portuguese is the same one too. I have an article of a French family reunion and the brazilian family was there. And it was saying that they're are all one family. They're all De orleans e bragança/d'orleans an braganza/etc. [/b][/quote]
If you say that, you say the Danish, the Greek and the Norwaygean Royal Families are the same family!...

The French Royal Family are Órleans.
The Portuguese Royal Family are Brangança.
The Brazilian Imperial Family are Orleães e Bragança.

Three different families with ties between them... That's it... Point.

Originally posted by renats+May 14th, 2004 - 7:36 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ May 14th, 2004 - 7:36 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helleniki@May 14th, 2004 - 6:37 pm
That's it... Point.
NO [/b][/quote]
No what?

The Duke of Edinburgh is either the cousin of King Constintine or the cousin of Constintine's father. Prince Phillip was a Prince of Greece and Denmark prior to his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth.

The Grimaldi's are some of the least connected to the rest of European families.

Queen Victoria was know as the "Grandmother of Europe" because her many children married into other royal families - Sweden, Germany etc. Christian IX of Denmark was known as the "Father-in-law" of Europe because his 6 children married into other reigning families or they asked one of his younger sons to become king of X country.

DDD said:
B) I think the Royal family of the Netherlands are the most NOT closely related of the reigning families :unsure:

Wrong, they are related to many families.

Well, that depends on how you define closely related. The other royal families of europe have closer ties (except Monaco).
As both Wilhelmina as Juliana were only children, there weren t many dutch royals to get related to either. Hendrik of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Wilhelmina's husband) was the half brother of the famous Grand Duchess Maria-Pavlovna of Russia & an uncle to Queen Alexandrine of Denmark and Crownprincess Cecilie of Germany (and Prussia)/ Via Maria Pavlovna the Orange-Nassaus are related to the Kents & Prussians. But I do not think that Queen Beatrix considers them as family these days. Queen Juliana's closest friends were these cousins however; Princess Kira Kirillovna of Prussia (nee GD of Russia) and Princess Marina of Kent (nee Pss of Greece and Denmark) and through the Waldeck-line her cousin Sybilla of Sweden (nee Pss of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

But the line ended there, Bernhard had (almost) no family ties, neither did Claus or Pieter etc. The only one who married equal after Wilhelminas marriage was the (much discussed) marriage of Princess Irene to Prince Carlos-Hugo de Bourbon-Parma (who is a nephew of the late Empress Zita of Austria and the late Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg & a Princess of Italy.

Royal Relations

Which countries' royals have close relationships, possibly alliances, with other countries' royals?

Good Heavens! They're all related in so many ways. For instance:
Queen Sofia of Spain is the sister of King Constantine of Greece. Therefore, all the Greek children are cousins with the Spanish children. Also, the Greeks are related through Queen Anne Marie who is the sister of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. So the Greeks are related to the Spanish and Danish houses.

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden is the cousin of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Princess Benedikte, and Queen Anne Marie of Greece (all sisters) because their mother Queen Ingrid was a princess of Sweden before she married King Frederik of Denmark and bore the three daughters.

Also, they're all already probably related to each other through Queen Victoria. That's how QEII is related to QMII of Denmark and QAM of Greece. The royals are related in multiple ways!!! These are all just a few examples. The countries have their own political alliances, but the royal houses are all related so they're probably naturally close.

SpiffyBallerina, you're a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for sharing. :)

SpiffyBallerina said:
Good Heavens! They're all related in so many ways. For instance:
Queen Sofia of Spain is the sister of King Constantine of Greece. Therefore, all the Greek children are cousins with the Spanish children. Also, the Greeks are related through Queen Anne Marie who is the sister of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. So the Greeks are related to the Spanish and Danish houses.

But also Constantine and Juan Carlos share a love of sailing which has passed down to their children and therefore, the cousins also enjoy sailing together as well.

True! I love seeing Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark with her cousin, Infanta Cristina. They love to sail together (I'm sure both inherited this hobby from their fathers). I think it was Cristina who even introduced Alexia to Carlos.

as there is one topic on the subject I merged them togather

Do you know of any royals who are not necessarily related, yet have strong friendships because perhaps they holiday/vacation together or otherwise have spent considerable time together.

You forgot that the Greeks are also connected to the British royal family through Prince Philip AND through their permanent residence in London!

Eliza

The "Old European Union"

Today the leaders of the European Union get together in some designated country.There is plenty of pictures of these meetings available.But 100 years Europe was practically all Monarchies and the Kings and Emperors of those days would get together.Does Anyone have pictures of these meetings?when monarchs of the time tried to keep Europe peaceful and united by their blood relations and loyalties with each other.

Last edited:
The Scandinavian kings used to have a "Three Kings" meeting from time to time. In the thread about King Haakon of Norway, you can see this picture of a meeting taking place in November, 1917.

In the same thread there is also a picture of the kings gathered for the funeral of Edward VII. A way to meet and greet.

norwegianne said:
The Scandinavian kings used to have a "Three Kings" meeting from time to time. In the thread about King Haakon of Norway, you can see this picture of a meeting taking place in November, 1917.

In the same thread there is also a picture of the kings gathered for the funeral of Edward VII. A way to meet and greet.
Thanks for all the info.I bet you that whenever they met it was totally grand.That funeral of Edward VII was magnificent.Very grand.

Back
Top Bottom