The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 02-15-2005, 10:22 PM
SpiffyBallerina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 531
Good Heavens! They're all related in so many ways. For instance:
Queen Sofia of Spain is the sister of King Constantine of Greece. Therefore, all the Greek children are cousins with the Spanish children. Also, the Greeks are related through Queen Anne Marie who is the sister of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. So the Greeks are related to the Spanish and Danish houses.

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden is the cousin of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Princess Benedikte, and Queen Anne Marie of Greece (all sisters) because their mother Queen Ingrid was a princess of Sweden before she married King Frederik of Denmark and bore the three daughters.

Also, they're all already probably related to each other through Queen Victoria. That's how QEII is related to QMII of Denmark and QAM of Greece. The royals are related in multiple ways!!! These are all just a few examples. The countries have their own political alliances, but the royal houses are all related so they're probably naturally close.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, United States
Posts: 499
SpiffyBallerina, you're a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for sharing. :)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Posts: 6,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
Good Heavens! They're all related in so many ways. For instance:
Queen Sofia of Spain is the sister of King Constantine of Greece. Therefore, all the Greek children are cousins with the Spanish children. Also, the Greeks are related through Queen Anne Marie who is the sister of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. So the Greeks are related to the Spanish and Danish houses.
But also Constantine and Juan Carlos share a love of sailing which has passed down to their children and therefore, the cousins also enjoy sailing together as well.
__________________
WYAO
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-16-2005, 04:25 AM
SpiffyBallerina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 531
True! I love seeing Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark with her cousin, Infanta Cristina. They love to sail together (I'm sure both inherited this hobby from their fathers). I think it was Cristina who even introduced Alexia to Carlos.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-16-2005, 04:41 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,193
as there is one topic on the subject I merged them togather
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, United States
Posts: 499
Do you know of any royals who are not necessarily related, yet have strong friendships because perhaps they holiday/vacation together or otherwise have spent considerable time together.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
azile's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 471
You forgot that the Greeks are also connected to the British royal family through Prince Philip AND through their permanent residence in London!

Eliza
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-01-2005, 04:00 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,193
many families are related in many different ways
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,419
Sybilla of Luxembourg is related to King Juan-Carlos of Spain, her maternal grandmother (infanta Beatriz) is his paternal aunt.

The house of France (Orleans) is related to many other non-reigning houses, Portugal (Duarte's and Henri's mothers were sisters). Duchess Diane of Wurttemberg is a sister of the present count of Paris, Infante Carlos of Spain is married to a sister (Anne) of the present count as well. The duke of Aosta is his former brother-in-law (maried and divorced from Claude d'Orleans).

Benedikte of Denmark is aunt to the hereditairy prince of Hesse-Cassel (and his siblings). Their mother is Tatiana of Sayn-Witgenstein-Berleburg, sister of Prince Richard.

Queen Margarita of Bulgaria is a 1st cousin to the late husband of Infanta Pilar, sister of the King of Spain.

Former Kings Mihai of Roumania and Constantine II of Greece are 1st cousins. Their 2nd cousin is CP Alexander of Serbia and he Duke of Edinburgh.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,325
The other Day i saw a recent pic Of Crown Prince Haakon on the beach with his Stepson and Prince Kryil of Bulgaria hope I spelled that right arent the Greek and Spanish Royals closely related to the Romanovs
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
Do you know of any royals who are not necessarily related, yet have strong friendships because perhaps they holiday/vacation together or otherwise have spent considerable time together.
The Spanish & Belgian RF holiday together (or at least they used to). The former is also close several former reigning families that it isn't closely related to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Margrethe II's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
The other Day i saw a recent pic Of Crown Prince Haakon on the beach with his Stepson and Prince Kryil of Bulgaria hope I spelled that right arent the Greek and Spanish Royals closely related to the Romanovs
One of the most notable family connections between the Schleswig - Holstein - Sonderburg - Glucksburgs of Greece and the Romanovs of Russia would be through Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Olga Konstantinova Romanova (Her Majesty the Queen Consort/Queen Dowager Olga of Greece), daughter of His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich Romanova & Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna, born Her Highness the Princess Alexandra Friederike Henriette of Saxe-Alternburg. Thus, she was the granddaughter of His Imperial and Autocratic Majesty the Tsar Nikolai I of all the Russia's.

Her Majesty the Queen Consort Sophia of Spain, born Her Royal Highness the Princess Sophia of the Hellenes carries the Romanov lineage into the House of Bourbon.

"MII"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:50 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
One of the most notable family connections between the Schleswig - Holstein - Sonderburg - Glucksburgs of Greece and the Romanovs of Russia would be through Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Olga Konstantinova Romanova (Her Majesty the Queen Consort/Queen Dowager Olga of Greece), daughter of His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaevich Romanova & Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna, born Her Highness the Princess Alexandra Friederike Henriette of Saxe-Alternburg. Thus, she was the granddaughter of His Imperial and Autocratic Majesty the Tsar Nikolai I of all the Russia's.

"MII"
Yes, it was notable.

For the benefit of the previous poster, there were other connections as well. George I's own sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna, and thus the Greek Princes/ss and the children of Alexander III were all first cousins. Moreover, two of his daughters married Romanov Grand Dukes. One married a son of Alexander II, while the other married a grandson of Nicholas I (and thus her mother's first cousin). George's son NIcholas married Grand Duchess Helen Vladimorovna (maternal grandmother of the present Kents), who was a granddaughter of Alexander II and a first cousin to Nicholas II. Another son, Andrew (father of Prince Philip) married Alice of Battenberg, who was the niece of Alexandra Feodorovna via her sister Victoria.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-30-2005, 04:25 AM
Margrethe II's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Yes, it was notable.

For the benefit of the previous poster, there were other connections as well. George I's own sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna, and thus the Greek Princes/ss and the children of Alexander III were all first cousins. Moreover, two of his daughters married Romanov Grand Dukes. One married a son of Alexander II, while the other married a grandson of Nicholas I (and thus her mother's first cousin). George's son NIcholas married Grand Duchess Helen Vladimorovna (maternal grandmother of the present Kents), who was a granddaughter of Alexander II and a first cousin to Nicholas II. Another son, Andrew (father of Prince Philip) married Alice of Battenberg, who was the niece of Alexandra Feodorovna via her sister Victoria.
Of course!!

I cannot believe I left out Her Imperial Majesty the Tsarina (Dowager) Maria Fyodorovna Romanova, born Her Highness (1853-1858) Her Royal Highness (1858-1866) the Princess Marie Sophie Frederikke Dagmar of Denmark. One of those blank moments I'm affraid.

"MII"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
srivishnu's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seremban, Malaysia
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
Which countries' royals have close relationships, possibly alliances, with other countries' royals?
The British Royal Family and the Brunei Royal Family.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Yachts hrhcp Royal Life and Lifestyle 22 08-01-2007 07:42 AM
What Is The Point Of The Gr Family? sky The Royal Family of Greece 82 10-21-2004 01:26 PM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 08:40 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]