The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Aristocracy

Famous Quotations

Which famous quote do yor think a royal--or any famous person--would be known as in the future?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Duchess of Windsor: 'you can never be to rich or too thin'. ;-)

Old 06-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Maharani Sita Devi of Baroda upon everyone oh-ing and ah-ing over the Duchess of Windsor's necklace at a party: "I don't know what the big deal is, I used to wear it around my feet". (The necklace used to be an anklet owned by the Maharani, she later sold it. The Duchess allegedly was so p-od that she never wore it again).
Old 06-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
King Richard III of Great Britain via William Shakespeare: A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Queenie (Elizabeth I) from Blackadder II:

"Oh, Edmund... I do love it when you get cross. Sometimes I think about having you executed just to see the expression on your face."

"It's him. Oh, God. Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet and at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?"

Queenie: Oh. Do you think he would spend more time with me if I was a boy?
Melchett: Surely not madam.
Nursie: You almost were a boy, my little cherrypit.
Queenie: What?
Nursie: Yeah. Out you popped, out of your mummies pumpkin and everybody shouting : "It's a boy, it's a boy!". And somebody said "but it hasn't got a winkle!". And then I said "A boy without a winkle? God be praised, it is a miracle. A boy without a winkle!" And then Sir Thomas More pointed out that a boy without a winkle is a girl. Anyway, I was really disappointed.

Prince George, the Prince Regent (later George IV) from Blackadder the Third:

"You know, Blackadder, for me socks are like sex. Lots of it about and I never seem to get any."

"I'm as happy as a Frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers. "

Blackadder: They're going to bankrupt you.
Prince George: Well, they can't do that. Why, the public love me! Only the other day, I was out in the street and they sang, `We hail Prince George! We hail Prince George!'
Blackadder: `We *hate* Prince George', sir. `We *hate* Prince George!'

:p
Old 06-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Royal Quotes

I thought we could start a thread on quotes made by royals.

"It is easy enough to define what the Commonwealth is not. Indeed this is quite a popular pastime"
(Elizabeth II)

"My children are not royal; they just happen to have the Queen for their aunt"
(Princess Margaret)

"He is the Pied Piper to the children of the world"
(Margrethe II of Denmark)

"I shall be an autocrat, that's my trade; and the good Lord will forgive me, that's his."
(Catherine the Great)
Old 06-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

"Father told me that if I ever met a lady in a dress like yours, I must look her straight in the eyes"
(Prince Charles)

"I will make you shorter by the head"
(Elizabeth I)

"Any sane person would have left long ago. But I cannot. I have my sons"
(Princess Diana)

"You are a pest, by the very nature of that camera in your hand"
(Princess Anne)
Old 06-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

"There came a point when I asked myself: What can I do, personally, to help these children?"
(Queen Silvia of Sweden)

"I was shocked and angry with the startling suggestion that I should send from my land, my realm, the woman I intended to marry."
(Edward VIII)

"I hate this place. I shall hate it to my grave."
(Wallis Simpson)
Old 06-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Some gems from Prince Philip

"Where did you get that hat" (To Elizabeth after her coronation)

"You were playing your instruments, weren't you? Or do you have tape recorders under your seats?" (A Children's band in Australia)

"We live in what virtually amounts to a museum, which does not happen to a lot of people "

"Refuge husband I suppose" (when asked what he considers himself because of his mixed roots)
Old 06-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
Some gems from Prince Philip

"Refuge husband I suppose" (when asked what he considers himself because of his mixed roots)
Actually, this isn't what he said he considers himself but how the public might think of him. The question was something like "How do you think the British public view you?".
Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Interesting thanks selrahc4 I guess the source I was reading it from got it wrong. (Someone e-mailed it to me)
Old 06-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
Interesting thanks selrahc4 I guess the source I was reading it from got it wrong. (Someone e-mailed it to me)
No problem. Anyway, he's been quoted out of context for his whole public life.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Courtier

"Naff off!" (Princess Anne to photographers)
Old 06-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

Guest: "I do love your pansies"

Duchess of Windsor "The ones in my garden or the ones at my table"

Old 06-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

"It just said klick"
King Carl XVI Gustaf at the engagement press conference on 12 March 1972, explaining how he fell in love with Silvia Sommerlath at the Olympic Games in Munich in 1972.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

"Bugger Bognor."

- George V, responding to a suggestion from his doctor that he recuperate from an illness by going on holiday to the seaside town of Bognor Regis.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

princess diana quotes

Any sane person would have left long ago. But I cannot. I have my sons.

Anywhere I see suffering, that is where I want to be, doing what I can.

Being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Call me Diana, not Princess Diana.

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.

Don't call me an icon. I'm just a mother trying to help.

Everyone needs to be valued. Everyone has the potential to give something back.

Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.

Family is the most important thing in the world.

Helping people in need is a good and essential part of my life, a kind of destiny.

HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug : Heaven knows they need it.

Hugs can do great amounts of good - especially for children.

I adore him... I have never been so happy. I have real love.

I am all about caring. I have always been like that.

I am not a political figure, nor do I want to be one; but I come with my heart.

I don't even know how to use a parking meter, let alone a phone box.

I don't go by the rule book... I lead from the heart, not the head.

I don't want expensive gifts; I don't want to be bought. I have everything I want. I just want someone to be there for me, to make me feel safe and secure.

I felt compelled to perform - to do my engagements and not let people down. And they supported me, although they weren't aware how much it carried me through.

I have a woman's instinct and it's always a good one.

I know it's just a job they have to do, but sometimes I do wish they wouldn't.

I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour; for a day, for a month, but I can give and I'm very happy to do that and I want to do that.

I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am.

I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.

I love to hold people's hands when I visit hospitals, even though they are shocked because they haven't experienced anything like it before, but to me it is a normal thing to do.

I remember when I used to sit on hospital beds and hold people's hands, people used to be shocked because they'd never seen this before. To me it was quite normal.

I think like any marriage, especially when you've had divorced parents like myself; you want to try even harder to make it work.

I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.

I understand people's suffering, people's pain, more than you will ever know yourself.

I want my boys to have an understanding of people's emotions, their insecurities, people's distress, and their hopes and dreams.

I want to walk into a room, be it a hospital for the dying or a hospital for the sick children, and feel that I am needed. I want to do, not just to be.

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings and in their public duties.

I wish all the mothers, fathers and children out there realize how much I need them and how much I value their support.

I'd like people to think of me as someone who cares about them.

I'd like to be a queen in people's hearts but I don't see myself being queen of this country.

I'm as thick as a plank.

I'm aware that people I have loved and have died and are in the spirit world looking after me.

I've got to have a place where I can find peace of mind.

If I am to care for people in hospital I really must know every aspect of their treatment and to understand their suffering.

If men had to have babies, they would only ever have one each.

If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love.

It is a weakness that I lead from my heart, and not my head?

It's not sissy to show your feeling.

Life is just a journey.

My first thoughts are that I should not let people down, that I should support them and love them.

No one sat me down with a piece of paper and said, "This is what is expected of you. But... I'm lucky enough in the fact that I have found my role... I love being with people."

Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are.

Only do what your heart tells you.

People think that at the end of the day a man is the only answer. Actually, a fulfilling job is better for me.

Perhaps we're too embarrassed to change or too frightened of the consequences of showing that we actually care. But why not risk it anyway? Begin Today. Carry out a random act of seemingly senseless kindness, with no expectation or reward or punishment. Safe in the knowledge that one day, someone somewhere might do the same for you.

So many people supported me through my public life and I will never forget them.

The biggest disease this day and age is that of people feeling unloved.

The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.

The kindness and affection from the public have carried me through some of the most difficult periods, and always your love and affection have eased the journey.

The people that I care about are the people out there on the street. I can identify with them.

There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.

They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?

This boy is dead now, I knew it before taking him in my arms, I can remember his face, his suffering, his voice.

What must it be like for a little boy to read that daddy never loved mummy?

When you are happy you can forgive a great deal.

Whoever is in the distress can call me. I will come running wherever they are.

Yes, I do touch. I believe that everyone needs that.

You can't comfort the afflicted with afflicting the comfortable.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
"It just said klick"
King Carl XVI Gustaf at the engagement press conference on 12 March 1972, explaining how he fell in love with Silvia Sommerlath at the Olympic Games in Munich in 1972.
Wasn't it "Something just went click"? Or at least that's what I thought it was. I could be wrong.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Courtier

Okay, that's it. I'm going to have to dig out my Oxford Book of Quotes tomorrow from the boxes. From what I recall it has some really good ones.

Sean
Old 06-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Courtier

Queen Elisabeth I: "Little man, Little man, thou darest not tell me what I can and cannot do."