Royal Passions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone...

I heard once that King Juan Carlos of Spain is a very good sailor, and also King Harald of Norway.

Do you know if other Kings and Queens have hobbies? And if so, what their hobbies are?

Kind regards...

The Queen of Denmark is an excellent painter. She also draws as well.

The last summer i saw King Mohamed VI of Morocco doing Jet sky ...one of his favorite Hobbies :)

Queen Sonja and Queen Margrethe walk in the mountains of Norway together...

Queen Sonja also sails, or at least she used to, albeit not as eagerly as her husband. She's also fond of art, decorating, and languages.

King Carl XVI Gustaf likes hunting (he has an exclusive group of hunting comrades that go on annual hunts together in the fall, always at Halle- and Hunneberg), boating (he owns a few boats and the beautiful yacht Polaris), cars and car sports (he has a fleet of smashing cars, and sometimes he’s present at Svenska Kungsrallyt, the Swedish King's Rally), skiing (he has completed Vasaloppet three times).

Queen Silvia enjoys gardening (which Crown Princess Victoria seems to have inherited from her mother) going to the opera, concerts and theatre.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth enjoys a day at the races and is considered an expert on the breeding of thoroughbreds.

She also enjoys stag hunting in Scotland and breeds and trains Labrador Gun Dogs.

King Albert was likes to ride motor bikes, and queen Paola loves gardening.

sofia of spain likes classical music and she is an expert on it.

also sewing... :p

Originally posted by carlota@May 8th, 2004 - 5:56 am
She is? Cool. I will have to ask for her opinion the next time I see her. :p

Originally posted by Dennism+May 8th, 2004 - 7:06 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism @ May 8th, 2004 - 7:06 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-carlota@May 8th, 2004 - 5:56 am
She is? Cool. I will have to ask for her opinion the next time I see her. :p [/b][/quote]
;) yes, she is...
it was said that she will be the one who chooses the music of the wedding, since she knows so much

What Do the Royals do in their free time?

If they have any that is. QN and KH got into gardening, playing gameboys, driving around on motorcycles and cars, birdwatching, boating and chess. They also--according to former butler in the "Washingtonian," constantly ordered movies and saw everything. QN was into "Dallas" for awhile and KH was a ham operator. Despite what QN wrote, the butler said they got up around 8ish, exercised, breakfasted and did their work. Then, they had dinner about 10 PM--tacos were KH's favorite and stayed up late. He said "for a royal couple, they spent a lot of time together by themselves."

I never hear if Abdullah or Rania have hobbies or interests......or Hamzah.....Princess Alia has horses to breed.......but do they travel, ski, do anything "fun"?

maryshawn said:
Despite what QN wrote, the butler said they got up around 8ish, exercised, breakfasted and did their work. Then, they had dinner about 10 PM--tacos were KH's favorite and stayed up late. He said "for a royal couple, they spent a lot of time together by themselves."
I cannot remember what Q. Noor wrote on the subject, but although she did try to be up earlyish, the late king was well known for his nocturnal habits. A typical day would have him getting up at about 11 -12, having a meal, going to work at about 2, and working through the afternoon and evening, eating again sometime through the day. Dinner would be very late, about eleven or so at night. It is true that he was a keen Ham radio operator. The evenings would either involve going to the private cinema or when videos came in, watching videos, late into the night. He rarely slept before 3 am. It made it very difficult for people who worked around him, as official Jordanian working hours were 8 am - 2pm so he would want to start work when most people were ending their working day.

papillon said:
Well, QR likes to shop. :D

Most women do, it's not a crime LOL. I've heard she likes to read too. Dostoyevsky has been mentioned as an author she admirers.

King Abdullah loves to cook for friends and family. I like that.

Royal hobbies

P. Hassan enjoys skiing, swimming, scuba diving, water skiing ( he was the first Jordanian to waterski from Aqaba right down Tabuk on the Saudi coast and back !), polo, squash, hunting & shooting, cricket, hiking, and for his quieter pastimes, he is an avid reader, writer, loves listening to music and is very interested in archaeology. P. Hassan is also has a 6th Dan in Taekwondo. He enjoys movies and is particular fond of westerns of the John Wayne variety. He also has his helicopter pilot's license and enjoys flying . P. Sarvath is also a skiier, swimmer, diver, and works out regularly. She enjoys cooking, needlepoint, taking photographs, reading, gardening, archaeology and 'keeping in touch with friends'. Their children all ski, ride, swim and enjoy water sports, and are avid readers. P. Rashid is a very good rider and internationally ranked polo player and an excellent shot. A Cambridge 'blue' in both polo and shooting who also rode for Sandhurst and his regiment, ( The Lt. Dragoons) and captain of the Jordanian Polo Team, he will be competing in the World Cup later this autumn. The whole family enjoys travel and meeting new people from different cultures and the Hassan 'children' are very widely travelled as their parents made a point of taking them to many different places during their formative years, and they all lived as students in different foreign countries to improve their lanaguages. Between them, the family obviously all speak Arabic and English, and then variously have a fluency in French, German, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Russian.

Last edited:
shelley said:
P. Hassan enjoys skiing, swimming, scuba diving, water skiing ( he was the first Jordanian to waterski from Aqaba right down Tabuk on the Saudi coast and back !), polo, squash, hunting & shooting, cricket, hiking, and for his quieter pastimes, he is an avid reader, writer, loves listening to music and is very interested in archaeology. P. Hassan is also has a 6th Dan in Taekwondo. He enjoys movies and is particular fond of westerns of the John Wayne variety. He also has his helicopter pilot's license and enjoys flying . P. Sarvath is also a skiier, swimmer, diver, and works out regularly. She enjoys cooking, needlepoint, taking photographs, reading, gardening, archaeology and 'keeping in touch with friends'. Their children all ski, ride, swim and enjoy water sports, and are avid readers. P. Rashid is a very good rider and internationally ranked polo player and an excellent shot. A Cambridge 'blue' in both polo and shooting who also rode for Sandhurst and his regiment, ( The Lt. Dragoons) and captain of the Jordanian Polo Team, he will be competing in the World Cup later this autumn. The whole family enjoys travel and meeting new people from different cultures and the Hassan 'children' are very widely travelled as their parents made a point of taking them to many different places during their formative years, and they all lived as students in different foreign countries to improve their lanaguages. Between them, the family obviously all speak Arabic and English, and then variously have a fluency in French, German, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Russian.

Oh Weee Oh WOW! How do u know all that,U really do love Prince Hassan Alot!
Yea well i like him too,he's an amazing person,and from what I've heard he's so down to earth.

Balqis said:
King Abdullah loves to cook for friends and family. I like that.

Yea,Though I don't think he's still doing that,Is he?

shelley said:
I cannot remember what Q. Noor wrote on the subject, but although she did try to be up earlyish, the late king was well known for his nocturnal habits. A typical day would have him getting up at about 11 -12, having a meal, going to work at about 2, and working through the afternoon and evening, eating again sometime through the day. Dinner would be very late, about eleven or so at night. It is true that he was a keen Ham radio operator. The evenings would either involve going to the private cinema or when videos came in, watching videos, late into the night. He rarely slept before 3 am. It made it very difficult for people who worked around him, as official Jordanian working hours were 8 am - 2pm so he would want to start work when most people were ending their working day.

Inresting! How about the others,Hamzah,Hashem and Ali,well we all know they love all kinds of water sports and they love climbing,boxing and driving,and I think I read somewhere That Hamzah loves reading,Is there anything else you would like to share? :)

Amoula said:
Oh Weee Oh WOW! How do u know all that,U really do love Prince Hassan Alot!
Yea well i like him too,he's an amazing person,and from what I've heard he's so down to earth.
I do like him a lot ! And the family. I think he has had a bum rap in many ways. What is interesting is that actually I think he bridges the gap between the older and younger generations. Well versed in Arabic lore language and culture which sits well with the traditional element, and also very westernised in the right sense of the word as well. I should have mentioned that he is also an excellent dancer - especially Latin American. It was fairly usual for P. Hassan and P. Sarvath to be the star turn at many family wedding parties and dances with a nifty rock and roll number, or a chachacha. You have to remember that this couple have been together so-oo long. Married thirty six years and known each other for ten years as children before that, they are each other's best freinds as well, and can go back to shared memories as teenagers when this sort of dance was 'in'. And therefore unself conscious in their relationships without any 'baggage'. :D

P. Hassan and P. sarvath caused quite a stir downtown last week as they walked into a regular cinema to see Farenheit 9/11. Apparantly there were a lot of double takes when the lights went on at the end of the show.

polo-did someone say p-o-l-o?????

shelley, tell me more, tell me more. puuuuhhhhlease.:D

polo is the world's oldest team sport, orginiated somewhere in the badlands of modern day persia/pakistan. i didn't know that jordan had a national team at the world cup. a friend of mine is playing in the tournament also. the dxb polo club was started by royal charter from the late shk rashid and is one of the only (if not the only) sporting club still in existance today that was begun before the formation of the uae. but unfortunately the current rulers could care less and the whole thing has fallen into disrepair.:mad:

also there is a polo club in egypt that has the pyramids as the back drop so everyone i know whats to go play there just to have their picture taken playing polo with the pyramids in the background. :cool:

tell me more. tell me more!!!

shelley said:
P. Rashid is a very good rider and internationally ranked polo player and an excellent shot. A Cambridge 'blue' in both polo and shooting who also rode for Sandhurst and his regiment, ( The Lt. Dragoons) and captain of the Jordanian Polo Team, he will be competing in the World Cup later this autumn.

Ipi Tombe said:
shelley, tell me more, tell me more. puuuuhhhhlease.:D

polo is the world's oldest team sport, orginiated somewhere in the badlands of modern day persia/pakistan. i didn't know that jordan had a national team at the world cup. a friend of mine is playing in the tournament also. the dxb polo club was started by royal charter from the late shk rashid and is one of the only (if not the only) sporting club still in existance today that was begun before the formation of the uae. but unfortunately the current rulers could care less and the whole thing has fallen into disrepair.:mad:

also there is a polo club in egypt that has the pyramids as the back drop so everyone i know whats to go play there just to have their picture taken playing polo with the pyramids in the background. :cool:

tell me more. tell me more!!!
About what ? Polo ? Prince Rashid ?? The World Cup ??? !:D Jordan does not have a national team at the world cup, they got knocked out in the semi final.
P. rashid has been asked to play an an individual in anothe r team. I am not sure which one, but I do know he plays for teams other than the Jordanian one. He played a couple of benefit matches with P. Charles on his team this summer. The Jordanian Polo Club was started in the fifties and sixties by some senior army officiers who had been at Sandhurst and also trained in India, Pakistan and Iraq. It then sort of fizzled away as the first players became older, until P. Hassan, who played polo at Oxford, revived the Club in Jordan. They have exisited ever since then, but there have never been that many players as there is no tradition of polo in the country. Prince Hassan no longer plays competively but now P. Rashid is really keen and pulling the club back up. There is apparantly a new generation of players coming up. I believe however, that P. Rashid is one of the best players in the area. He has not yet got a particularly high handicap yet , but considering he only plays competetive polo in fits and starts, when he is in England, he is good to have an international ranking at all. Most of the people he plays against spend all summer doing nothing else.

Last edited:
just looked on the world cup website. the jordan team didn't make it to france. actually no arab or middle eastern team did. quite a shame, since that is the orgin of the sport. the pakistan team made it, however.

is p. rashid's last name hussein also? i looked on the hpa site for his handicap and it didn't list it? don't think he would be a member of the us polo ass. what is his handicap?

heard p. rashid is not that much of a looker so not really interested in him-just the polo.

shelley said:
About what ? Polo ? Prince Rashid ?? The World Cup ??? !:D

Ipi Tombe said:
just looked on the world cup website. the jordan team didn't make it to france. actually no arab or middle eastern team did. quite a shame, since that is the orgin of the sport. the pakistan team made it, however.

is p. rashid's last name hussein also? i looked on the hpa site for his handicap and it didn't list it? don't think he would be a member of the us polo ass. what is his handicap?

heard p. rashid is not that much of a looker so not really interested in him-just the polo.
He he isn't that a bad looker - just a little short in the legs, like all true Hashemites, I guess ! There is picture on his father's website ! When last I hear it was 2 or about to become two depending at what happens in Chantilly.

short guys.....not my style.....

2 is a respectable handicap. it seems that is what seperates the truly dedicated (and borderline professional) from the weekend warrior. good on him!!

shelley said:
He he isn't that a bad looker - just a little short in the legs, like all true Hashemites, I guess ! There is picture on his father's website ! When last I hear it was 2 or about to become two depending at what happens in Chantilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom