The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Nobility

Royal Nicknames? Pet names?

What pet or nicknames do they have for each other? I know the DoE calls Queen Elizabeth 'sausage'

Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Majesty

I have heard he calls her 'cabbage' not 'sausage'.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Denmark:
King Frederik IX: Rico
Queen Ingrid: San (which comes from the Swedish word for Princess, 'Prinsessan')
Queen Margrethe II: Daisy (like her maternal grandmother, Princess Margaret of Connaught)
Crown Prince Frederik: Pingo (when he was in the Danish Frogman Corps)
Princess Isabella: Bella

The former King Constantine II of Greece is called Tino. Princess Alexandra of Denmark (Queen Consort to King Edward VII) was called Alix. Her sister, Princess Dagmar of Denmark (Maria Feodorovna) was called Minnie.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Courtier

William was called Wombat by his parents, Wills by his mother
Harry is called Hazza I believe by his friends
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I've also heard that once William joined the military, Charles called him Combat Wombat.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

And someone mentioned that they lip read the Duke of Cambridge calling Catherine a nickname as they came out the door of the hospital. Did anyone else catch that?
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Commoner

William called her "Poppet".
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think nicknames are going to happen, it's quite natural. I do think Wills is quite a nice shortened version of William, and "Poppet" is quite an affectionate name. Charles calls Camilla "darling", but that's just a couple thing.

Lady Louise is apparently known as LouLou, and Sophie calls Edward "Ed" and Edward calls her "Soph".

I still think Lilibet is the cutest nickname, as well as Cabbage for QEII.

Why is Queen Margrethe called Daisy?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe she likes daisies? (flowers). "Daisy" is also a diminutive from "Margaret" (English equivalent of Margrethe).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Commoner

Daisy is the nickname of Queen Margrethe. She even had a daisy brooch on her wedding dress and she still wears that brooch regularly. She also had daisies in her Bridal Bouquet.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers’ Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #10. Queen Margrethe of Denmark
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Why is Queen Margrethe called Daisy?
The French word for daisy is marguerite, which is also a name. The English equivalent of the French name Marguerite is Margaret. The Danish equivalent of Marguerite and Margaret is Margrethe, and that's where Daisy comes from

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's because there are Marguerite daisies. The form large clumps in a landscape and are also sold as cut flowers. Here's the white version: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...XHXGqP43UckF_8
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post

The French word for daisy is marguerite, which is also a name. The English equivalent of the French name Marguerite is Margaret. The Danish equivalent of Marguerite and Margaret is Margrethe, and that's where Daisy comes from
Also, the Queen's grandmother (Princess Margaret of Connaught) was called Daisy.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I've also read that Harry is called "Spike" by his friends.

Historically, Elizabeth I's nickname was "Bess" and Queen Victoria's nickname was "Drina". I've also heard that Henry VIII's nickname was "Hal".

HM is called "Lillibet" by family members which has been her nickname since she was little. Prince Harry is really called Henry but family members (and the media) call him Harry, which is a popular nickname for Henry. I've also read that the Duke of Kent is sometimes called "Eddy" by his family. Articles have said that little Prince George will be known as "Georgie". I've heard that Catherine's nickname at primary school was "Squeak". I've also heard that the Duchess of Windsor gave the Queen Mother the nickname of "Cookie". George VI was known as "Bertie" within the family.

I'm not too sure about European Royals' nicknames, but I know that (in the past) Princess Ileana of Romania's children were known as "Minola" (Archduchess Maria Ileana), "Sandi" (Archduchess Alexandra), "Niki" (Archduke Domonic), "Magi" (Archduchess Maria Magdalena) and "Herzi" (Archduchess Elisabeth).

I sometimes wonder what nicknames the European royal children are given (I know that Princess Isabella is known as "Bella", as mentioned in another post here).
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Royal Highness

Maria of Romania, Queen Consort of Yugoslavia: "Mignon"

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia: "Nicky"
Alexandra Feodorovna: "Alix", "Alicky" and "Sunny"
Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna of Russia: "Olenka"
Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna of Russia: "The Governess"
Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna of Russia: "Mashka" and "le bon gros tou-tou" ('fat little bow-wow')
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia: "Shvybzik", "Malenkaya" and "Anastasie"
Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia: "Baby", "Sunbeam" and "Alyosha"

Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia: "Georgie"
Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia: "Misha"

Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale: "Eddie"
Princess Maud of Wales, Queen Consort of Norway: "Harry"

Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia: "Georgie"
i assume that that actually *is* his name, the name in russian is Georgii, which translates in english to George... Even though Georgii to western ears sounds like a shortened version of an actual name (like Bobby for Robert), in russian it isn't (just like Alexii, Dimitri etc all official names... if you want the shortened version of Dimitri, it's Dima...)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Helena was known as "Lenchen" within the family and her elder sister, Victoria, Princess Royal, was known as "Vicky". Princess Victoria, Edward VII's daughter, was known as "Toria" (which I find cute). Queen Mary's nickname was "May", and she called her son Prince John "Johnnie". Also, George II had a daughter called Princess Amelia who was known as "Emily".

Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain was known as "Ena" which was one of her middle names.

I have heard the press call Princess Madeleine "Madde", although I don't know if the Swedish Royal Family call her Madde personally.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by castell View Post
William called her "Poppet".
Really? Missed that one and I find it cute and endearing too. :)
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Crown princess Victoria's has been called "Oja" (I don't know it is used anymore), Madeleine is still "Len" for her closest, and Carl Philip has been "Lippi" (he doesn't like it so much anymore). As children, they couldn't pronounce each others names properly so the nicknames were born out of necessity.

Vickan and Madde are names the press uses of Victoria and Madeleine.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Crown princess Victoria's has been called "Oja" (I don't know it is used anymore), Madeleine is still "Len" for her closest, and Carl Philip has been "Lippi" (he doesn't like it so much anymore). As children, they couldn't pronounce each others names properly so the nicknames were born out of necessity.
That's very cute.

Quote:
Vickan and Madde are names the press uses of Victoria and Madeleine.
Thanks LadyFinn, I was wondering about Madeleine's nickname. Is Vickan a Swedish/Scandinavian nickname for Victoria? I haven't heard it being used in English.

Join my new group!