The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

He wasn't a Bertie because that was his father's nickname. He was Eddy.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Albert Victor was known as "Eddy" among family and friends - presumably because his full name was Albert Victor Christian Edward. His father was called Bertie, so I reckon that's why he wasn't called Bertie as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Majesty

Prince Albert Victor was always called 'Eddy' not Bertie.

His father was Bertie to distinguish him from his father - Albert.

Bertie and Alix actually wanted to name Eddy - Edward - but Victoria intervened and announced the name of Albert Victor before the parents could do so but the parents still called him what they always intended on calling him anyway.

He didn't go to school but had tutors at home and then went into the navy where he trained.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Gentry

Prince Michael of Kent's nickname was Maow, wonder if the Queen and his older siblings still call him that.

(source: George and Marina, Duke and Duchess of Kent by Christopher Warwick)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Royal Highness

Skippyboo, Archduchess Zelia, and Iluvbertie, Thank you for explaining about the Eddy name for Albert Victor.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Sophie, one of Prince Philip's sisters, was known in the family as Tiny.
She grew to be the tallest of Philip's four sisters.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Josephine of Denmark is called "Fine".

I saw a gif recently where Queen Mathilde of Belgium (when she was Duchess of Brabant) calls Princess Elisabeth "Lisa". EDIT: here it is.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Royal Highness

When he was in the Royal Navy, Prince Andrew of Great Britain's nickname was "H" for Highness.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Victoria's first nickname was "Drina," when she was a little girl - short for Alexandrina Victoria.

I'm not surprised Josephine of Denmark has a nickname - most English speaking people do shorten long names - I'll bet Mary has nicknames for all four.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden was known as Tjabo when he was younger by friends. When he was a child he was called Lillprinsen (little prince) in magazines or Hertigen (the duke) at home (source: Folkhemsprinsessor | Kultur | SvD )
Princess Christina, fru Magnusson was known as Titti, her husband Tord Magnusson is known as Tosse.
Prins Johann George von Hohenzollern (husband of princess Birgitta of Sweden) was known as Hansi.
King Gustaf V of Sweden used the name Mr. G. when playing tennis. He was nicknamed V-Gurra by the people in Sweden.
Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, married princess of Sweden was nicknamed Solstrålen (the sun ray) by her father-in-law Oscar II (source: Villa Fridhems historia )
Her son Carl Jr was known by the nickname Samuel.
Princess Eugénie of Sweden used the pseudonym E****** as an artist.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

James Ogilvy and his sister Marina of England use to call themselves "Jo" and "Mo" because of their initials.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Margaret Rose and Antony Armstrong-Jones' nicknames for each other were Tone and Pet.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I was reading about Queen Victoria's children yesterday and found out that Prince Alfred was known as "Affie", which was a childhood mispronunciation of "Alfred" - a bit like HM and Elizabeth/Lilibet. I've also heard that Princess Beatrice was called "Baby" (or "Baby Bea"?), but am not 100% sure.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I was reading about Queen Victoria's children yesterday and found out that Prince Alfred was known as "Affie", which was a childhood mispronunciation of "Alfred" - a bit like HM and Elizabeth/Lilibet. I've also heard that Princess Beatrice was called "Baby" (or "Baby Bea"?), but am not 100% sure.
HereditaryPrincess, Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Beatrice Leopoldine Victoria) was the daughter of the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Alfred.
Princess Beatrice was called "Baby Bee".
Princess Beatrice's paternal aunt, Princess Beatrice, was a younger sister of Prince Alfred.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

HereditaryPrincess, Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Beatrice Leopoldine Victoria) was the daughter of the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Alfred.
Princess Beatrice was called "Baby Bee".
Princess Beatrice's paternal aunt, Princess Beatrice, was a younger sister of Prince Alfred.
Ah OK, thanks for the correction CyrilVladisla. I didn't realise that Prince Alfred had a daughter Beatrice as well - I'm sure I read that it was Queen Victoria's Beatrice who was called "Baby Bee", although I was doing my research late at night, so I guess I wasn't focusing properly!
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Ah OK, thanks for the correction CyrilVladisla. I didn't realise that Prince Alfred had a daughter Beatrice as well - I'm sure I read that it was Queen Victoria's Beatrice who was called "Baby Bee", although I was doing my research late at night, so I guess I wasn't focusing properly!
in case someone is interested: Princess Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Christian of Denmark called his younger brother Prince Vincent "Vincer", when they were in Greenland. That makes Christian the only of the four siblings without a known nickname (the other three being Bella, Fine and Vincer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
James Ogilvy and his sister Marina of England use to call themselves "Jo" and "Mo" because of their initials.
How wonderful. I didn't know that, thanks for posting

Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Gentry

Princess Beatrice, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, was referred to as "Baby" by Queen Victoria and presumably some of the other royals.

Her niece Beatrice, daughter of Prince Alfred and Grand Duchess Maria, was known as Baby Bee.

It's a bit confusing :-).

Beatrice (the younger)'s sister Marie, later Queen of Romania, was known as Missy, and her husband Ferdinand was known as Nando. Beatrice (the elder)'s son Alexander was known as Drino. Queen Victoria's third daughter Helena was known as Lenchen, and her son Christian Victor was known as Christl. They all seem to've been obsessed with nicknames!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Royal Highness

Once Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's daughter married, she could be known by her husband's title of Princess Henry of Battenberg.
Once her niece married, this Princess Beatrice could be known by her husband's title of Princess Alfonso de Orleans y Borbon.
Their married titles are easier than Aunt Beatrice and Niece Beatrice.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Beatrice (the younger)'s sister Marie, later Queen of Romania, was known as Missy, and her husband Ferdinand was known as Nando. Beatrice (the elder)'s son Alexander was known as Drino. Queen Victoria's third daughter Helena was known as Lenchen, and her son Christian Victor was known as Christl. They all seem to've been obsessed with nicknames!
Thank you both for the extra information. I knew about Helena being called Lenchen as I had mentioned it in an earlier post of mine upthread. I wonder if Alexander's nickname had something to do with Queen Victoria. Since her first name was Alexandrina and they called her Drina, and his first name is Alexander and they called him Drino, it sounds like they honoured her with a nickname, which is quite nice IMO.

I read on Princess Beatrice's Wikipedia page that her sister Princess Victoria Melita was known as "Ducky", and that Princess Beatrice herself was also called "Sima" by Tsar Nicholas II's brother Grand Duke Michael, whom she wanted to marry but wasn't allowed to, if I've understood this correctly. Her other sister Princess Alexandra was nicknamed "Sandra". It appears that the Russian Royals and Victorian English Royals were quite big on nicknames.