Royal Nannies & Governesses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they will get a "professional" Nanny. Norlands and other such places produce fully vetted and trained nannies. That includes the care and nurturing of infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers. They are also trained in evasive/defensive driving and self defence among a multitude of other things.

The more "Patronages" and such that both Harry and Meghan take on, the busier they will be what with prep, engagements and tours. And they are well schooled for each engagement. If they weren't, the would both have featured in 'idiot plonker' or 'vacuous' dolly stories in all the rags.

I agree. I can imagine the Sussexes will choose a Noorland Nanny like the Cambridges.

I think they will get a "professional" Nanny. Norlands and other such places produce fully vetted and trained nannies. That includes the care and nurturing of infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers. They are also trained in evasive/defensive driving and self defence among a multitude of other things.

I don’t think the nannies do any driving. I mean, the Royal Family most certainly have professional drivers to drive them ( and the nannies whenever required).

Tiggy Legge Burke was sometimes referred to as William and Harry's 'nanny' by the media when they were in their teens, but I don't think she was carrying on the normal duties required of nannies, Norland trained or otherwise. She was more a companion and 'big sister' to the boys during their school holidays when Charles worked and joined in their country activities. She remains close to them to this day. They also had an equivalent 'big brother', Mark Dyer.

If I remember right, during Harry and Meghan's engagement period with a visit to Wales, Harry took Meghan to Tiggy Legge Bourke's bed and breakfast place in Wales to introduce Meghan to her.

Nannies (or companions) aren't solely employees or glorified baby sitters but actually an integral part of a child's life. Relationships are formed that are enduring. I would expect George, Charlotte and Louis to have such a relationship with their Maria and Harry and Meghan will find someone just as suitable for their child(ren). It seems to be almost like adopting another treasured member of the family rather than hiring an employee IMO.

I've heard it recently reported (whether true or not ) that Doria is expected to spend time in England helping Meghan and Harry after the baby's birth. I read that in a recent article about the progress of the Frogmore Cottage renovation:
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entert...le-prince-harry-frogmore-cottage-renovations/
"... they're giving Meghan's Mom, Doria Ragland, her own room for when she comes to visit and help out with the baby..."

And in the below article toward the very end:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...ot-invited-to-meghan-markle-baby-shower.html/
"Doria is supposedly going to spend some time in England once the baby arrives..."

So perhaps Doria is gearing up to stay and help out for several months right up through the christening, which will most likely occur in July, as Prince Louis' christening did last year. Perhaps during her time in the UK, Doria may assist in helping the Sussexes find the most suitable nanny from the best candidates available. It's crucial to find someone with the right personality, as well as all of the other background and training requirements.

Maybe Doria will arrive a few weeks in advance of the birth to help M&H with their move to Frogmore, and perhaps attend a more private baby shower celebration that the public won't hear much about. It would certainly make sense for Doria to make the trip to England well in advance of the expected due date.

Last edited:
:previous:

We have to remember this is the media that also said Doria had moved to the UK after the wedding and was living with them :ermm:

Doria is not a retired woman who is going to uproot her life to move over and be a nanny to her grandchild. But she has a job, friends and more back home that she has to think of as well.

The same stories were told about Carole, and her being nanny to George when he was born. It seems the media likes recycling stories over and over again. At least Carole was close by and works a business she could do from home if needed. Not the situation that Doria is in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Doria is planning to be her grandchild's nanny, and that's not what I said. I do believe Doria plans to spend time helping Meghan and Harry prior to and immediately after the baby is born.

None of the articles I cited mention anything about the length of time Doria is expected to stay, nor do they falsely indicate any plans by Doria to move to England.

Slightly modifying my previous speculation, it's more likely that Doria will arrive before the birth, stay possibly through the end of May, return home, and then make a brief trip back to England for the baby's christening.

I also expressed my opinion that perhaps Doria might assist H&M in selecting a nanny, which does NOT mean becoming a nanny herself!

Last edited:
I don’t think the nannies do any driving. I mean, the Royal Family most certainly have professional drivers to drive them ( and the nannies whenever required).
I merely said they are trained in it just as they are trained in defensive pram pushing. I kid you not!

I don't think Doria is planning to be her grandchild's nanny, and that's not what I said. I do believe Doria plans to spend time helping Meghan and Harry prior to and immediately after the baby is born.

None of the articles I cited mention anything about the length of time Doria is expected to stay, nor do they falsely indicate any plans by Doria to move to England.

Slightly modifying my previous speculation, it's more likely that Doria will arrive before the birth, stay possibly through the end of May, return home, and then make a brief trip back to England for the baby's christening.

I also expressed my opinion that perhaps Doria might assist H&M in selecting a nanny, which does NOT mean becoming a nanny herself!

It was your post, not the article, I was referring to. It was you who suggested the length of time she would stay. You suggested:

So perhaps Doria is gearing up to stay and help out for several months right up through the christening, which will most likely occur in July, as Prince Louis' christening did last year. Perhaps during her time in the UK, Doria may assist in helping the Sussexes find the most suitable nanny from the best candidates available. It's crucial to find someone with the right personality, as well as all of the other background and training requirements.

If the christening is in July, suggesting Doria is going to come to UK for four months is not a 'vacation'. Its uprooting her life and moving, even if short period, to the UK.

Nor did I suggest the articles claimed Doria would be nanny. I just compared the coverage to when George was born. And when speculation was that instead of hiring a nanny, Carol would live with the couple for a few months and help with George. The same speculation has now appeared with Doria.

I merely said they are trained in it just as they are trained in defensive pram pushing. I kid you not!

Yes they go through some seriously deep training.

Around here most nannies have little training, other then CPR, just child experience. Some will have an early childhood education degree. I cant even imagine having to learn defensive driving to be a nanny. But then again thankfully I never had to wear those uniforms either. I may have considered my ECE if I stayed in as a nanny more then 2 years. But I ended up going down the nursing path instead. Take my nurse scrubs over those Norland uniforms any day.

:previous: Blergh beige, brown and a pudding bowl hat? No contest.

Do you think Prince Harry and Meghan will hire a nanny who had been employed by some of their aristocratic friends?

Perhaps the H&M will prefer to bring in a nanny from the US, to make the child just as comfortable with his or her US heritage as their British heritage. This could help bring the child up in a more modern, less traditional manner than that practiced by the fusty and stiff upper classes in Britain, with their Norland nannies and nurseries and all that goes with it.

Last edited:
I think "fusty & stiff" has gone - the younger generation of British aristos are far more relaxed & involved with their children & the nannies (including Norland) have evolved likewise to fit in with the family's lifestyle. It's still essentially British but much more middle class eg family meals together in the kitchen & the children spending more time in the whole house rather than mainly in the nursery.

:previous: That's fascinating, and thanks for your observation. It's an interesting topic: How the role of nannies in upperclass British households and among the aristos has evolved over the years.

It was your post, not the article, I was referring to. It was you who suggested the length of time she would stay.

Right, and prior to your above post, I also modified my speculation as to how long Doria might stay in England to help with her grandchild. None of us know anything for certain. ? And there's surely a lot going on behind-the-scenes everyday that we are not privy to, and may never learn about.

It's all going to be delightful for those directly involved in the pending birth, I'm sure. A special time for H&M indeed, and I wish them well these last weeks. Hopefully, by the end of March, they will slow down and focus on their move to Frogmore Cottage. It's such an exciting time for everyone close to the Sussexes.

Last edited:
Perhaps the H&M will prefer to bring in a nanny from the US, to make the child just as comfortable with his or her US heritage as their British heritage. This could help bring the child up in a more modern, less traditional manner than that practiced by the fusty and stiff upper classes in Britain, with their Norland nannies and nurseries and all that goes with it.
I think it would definitely be a UK Nanny or Manny and even a Norlands one at that. Expectations of a royal child are quite exacting yet their charges seem to be normal happy toddlers or preschoolers. Norland Nannies are not allowed to use physical discipline.

A perfect example of regulated upbringing versus "new style" was one of the Swedish Royal Family's Christening where Princess Leonore ran riot throughout the proceedings with a special penchant for flashing her pretty wee knickers at the cameras and congregation. Her parents sat there looking helpless with a child apiece on their knees. I have yet to see the delightfully well-mannered and mischievous Princess Estelle ever be allowed to behave in such a manner and, in the earlier days, she was gently removed from the public by the Nanny when she became bored.

That is why royals have Nannies, so we all get to see the children but for a short time as small children do not have big attention spans and a parent having to leave would be unfortunate.

:previous: I think-or hope-that Leonore's behavior was an exception and not the rule for the "new and relaxed" style of Royal parenting. The fact that her parents felt "helpless" to either get their child under control or have her removed does not reflect well on them.

Even by non-Royal middle class standards, those kinds of antics at a christening service were way over the top.

The behaviour of Leonore mirrors that of her mother Princess Madeleine when she was her age and I very much doubt that The King and Queen were very permissive parents. It's been communicated by the court several times that if the children take part in official events or not is dependent on their mood and behaviour at the time.
In general, within certain limits of course, Swedes are quite permissive when it comes to lively children at family events such as christenings and weddings. From what I remember Leonore was just that - lively and not misbehaving.

:previous: "Lively" is being fidgety and noisy. ..racing around the Chapel, flipping up her dress, and refusing to heed the shush and stern looks of the adults was misbehaving in my opinion.:ermm:

I understand that Scandinavians have a much more permissive approach to child rearing, but I am curious as to what would indeed be considered misbehaving?

When looking into Norland Nannies it seems a lot of them go overseas and are employed by the wealthy. However, they discourage the 'status symbol' of having the baby pushed along by a Nanny in uniform as it "encourages" kidnapping!

I notice the only times we have seen Nanny Maria in uniform is on formal occasions such as baptisms and weddings (corralling the attendants I assume)

:previous: "Lively" is being fidgety and noisy. ..racing around the Chapel, flipping up her dress, and refusing to heed the shush and stern looks of the adults was misbehaving in my opinion.:ermm:

I understand that Scandinavians have a much more permissive approach to child rearing, but I am curious as to what would indeed be considered misbehaving?

The moderators have asked us not to drag this topic on and on, after much speculation that Leonore might have ADD or ADHD.

I'm wondering how comfortable Meghan would be with a nanny. No one in her family ever had one. As far as getting a US nanny, I don't think the tradition in the US is as strong as in the UK. I don't know of a US equivalent of Norland, so you'd always wonder how discrete the US nanny would be. I'm guessing Doria would come and help out after the birth and maybe for awhile after. She has her own life and friends, but Meghan's children are going to be Doria's only grandchildren. I'm guessing Doria would be willing to live separately from her US friends in order to be close to them.

I don't think Meghan has any choice but to have a nanny for her child once she is done with maternity leave. Someone has to care for their child when both of them are having meetings or doing engagements. They can't exactly put their baby in daycare.

I don't see Doria giving up her life to be the babysitter--and there are immigration issues anyway.

I don't see how Harry and Meghan could swing their royal roles and not have a nanny. I'm sure they're going to be as much hands on with their children as they possibly can but there are just going to be times where having a nanny is going to be a necessity.

That's one reason why I believe that the nanny they do hire is going to be more like adopting another member of the family rather than just hiring an employee. It may end up though that the process of hiring a nanny will not take place immediately and they'll take their time finding the right one. I wouldn't be surprised if, at first, Grandma is there for a while with the aid and support of a maternity nurse.

I'm wondering how comfortable Meghan would be with a nanny. No one in her family ever had one.

They might not have had nannies, but they certainly had daycare, kindergarten, babysitters, etc. How else would the parents go to work?
And Meghan has some rich friends, I’m sure Serena or the Clooneys have nannies. And there are security concerns to take into consideration with royal babies.

I'm wondering how comfortable Meghan would be with a nanny. No one in her family ever had one. As far as getting a US nanny, I don't think the tradition in the US is as strong as in the UK. I don't know of a US equivalent of Norland, so you'd always wonder how discrete the US nanny would be. I'm guessing Doria would come and help out after the birth and maybe for awhile after. She has her own life and friends, but Meghan's children are going to be Doria's only grandchildren. I'm guessing Doria would be willing to live separately from her US friends in order to be close to them.

She came from 2 homes with 2 working parents. She certainly had other people helping raise her. Her grandmother helped when she was with mom, but her father would have had help. Daycares/babysitters/nannies are a norm any where with working parents. Nannies are becoming more common in North America, and likely a good chunk of her friends have them.

You cant put a royal child in daycare. Nanny is a reality. A nanny would have been a reality if she remained an actress and married someone other then Harry.

Doria is not going to move to the UK to be a nanny.

No, in the US 'nanny training' is not really a thing. Most nannies now a days have their early childhood education (or at least if you want to work for the good paying families you do). And things like first aid and cpr training. You don't have to be a Norland to be discreet. If nothing else, that is what NDA are for.

Last edited:
Even if Megan had married an American or Canadian if she was working full time on a series she might well have a nanny as that can be up to 17 hour days sometimes and many actors have them. And yes I'm assuming many of her wealthy/Famous friends employ them at least part time. I think we have to move away from some UK VS US stereotypes. There are a lot of British "upper class" types who don't use or can't afford a full time nanny as well.

Guess they could try an aupair from one of the Commonwealth country, maybe the daughter of a local higher up bureaucrat, but I still tend to see them with a professional nanny of good reputation. Who probably like Maria of the Cambridges speaks another language.

We had Au Pairs when I was a child some of whom I really loved. But aren't they students who live with a family and do certain chores including some babysitting whilst they attend courses during the day and are usually quite young? And they aren't technically paid but given "expenses". There have also been a lot of accusations re taking advantage. Seems a recipe for disaster with the BRF.

I do think a professional nanny from wherever with a good education and credentials, possibly speaking another language is what they might go for. But it also does depend on how well you get the sense of them in the interviews.

Last edited:

It seems that nothing is "misbehaving" any more.. even for royal children. It does indeed sound as if the parents didn't know what to do, and had no authority over her.

It does indeed sound as if the parents didn't know what to do, and had no authority over her.

The correct thing to do, the way most Swedes seem to do it, is that if the child doesn't calm down is for someone to take it outside.

Regarding the comments about Meghan possibly being uncomfortable with a nanny I don't see why since, as other posters have pointed out, many of her friends are bound to have nannies for their children and she must have experience with day care and baby sitters herself.
Another aspect of this, to me a very important one, is that Harry grew up with nannies and enjoyed a very close relationship with Olga Powell. So close that William cancelled an engagement to go to her funeral (Harry was in Afghanistan and couldn't go). The boys also became, and still are, very close to Tiggy Legge-Burke who was their nanny when they stayed with their dad adter their parents separation

Back
Top Bottom