Royal Nannies & Governesses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there no photos and information about the nannies for Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia?

Lady Janet Stewart served as Governess to her half niece Mary Queen of Scots. Lady Janet was an illegitimate daughter of King James IV of Scotland and later served Marie de Guise at the Scottish Court . In August 1548 Lady Janet and her own daughter Mary Flemming accompanied the young queen of Scots to France .Known for her good looks Lady Janet soon became a mistress to King Henri II of France and by him had a son,Henri de Valois, duc d'Angoulême.
The affair with Henri II aroused the dislike of Catherine de Médicis who wrote to Marie de Guise and Lady Janet was sent back to Scotland .Lady Janet was with Marie de Guise at her death at Edinburgh castle in June 1560 and had longed to return to France to visit her son but died in February,1562.

Lady Janet Stewart served as Governess to her half niece Mary Queen of Scots. Lady Janet was an illegitimate daughter of King James IV of Scotland and later served Marie de Guise at the Scottish Court . In August 1548 Lady Janet and her own daughter Mary Flemming accompanied the young queen of Scots to France .Known for her good looks Lady Janet soon became a mistress to King Henri II of France and by him had a son,Henri de Valois, duc d'Angoulême.
The affair with Henri II aroused the dislike of Catherine de Médicis who wrote to Marie de Guise and Lady Janet was sent back to Scotland .Lady Janet was with Marie de Guise at her death at Edinburgh castle in June 1560 and had longed to return to France to visit her son but died in February,1562.

Her daughter and others were LIW to Mary, all called Mary and known by their surnames Beaton, Seton, Fleming and Livingston.

Interestingly enough the "inspired by flicking through a history book" TV show about MQoS "Reign" kept the affair with the King in by made it one of the younger girls and another had a son with Mary's husband Francis. Unsurprisingly they completely changed their names. ;)

Her daughter and others were LIW to Mary, all called Mary and known by their surnames Beaton, Seton, Fleming and Livingston.

All noted for their Catholicism like Lady Janet and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were handpicked by Marie de Guise.

Lady Janet's son Henri de Valois, duc d'Angoulême went onto command the French Catholic Royalist forces during the French Wars of Religion and was appointed the Governor of Provence from 1579 until his death in 1586.

Lady Margaret Pole served as Governess to Mary Tudor from 1520 until the household was broken up in 1533 when Henry declared his daughter Mary to be a bastard. Lady Margaret sided with Catherine of Aragon and Mary Tudor was later arrested in November 1538 and executed in May,1541.

Lady Margaret Pole served as Governess to Mary Tudor from 1520 until the household was broken up in 1533 when Henry declared his daughter Mary to be a bastard. Lady Margaret sided with Catherine of Aragon and Mary Tudor was later arrested in November 1538 and executed in May,1541.

The stories of her execution are quite something. She was later Beatified as a martyr.

The stories of her execution are quite something. She was later Beatified as a martyr.

I also hadn't realized that her 1st husband Sir Richard Pole was a cousin of Henry VII.

Sir Richards mother Edith St John was a half sister of Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby.

I also hadn't realized that her 1st husband Sir Richard Pole was a cousin of Henry VII.

Sir Richards mother Edith St John was a half sister of Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby.

And the two half-sisters had a half-brother John Welles (their mother's son from her third marriage). He was married to Princess Cecily of York, a younger sister of Margaret's daughter in law Elizabeth.

It was Lady Margaret Pole who was executed in May 1541:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Pole,_Countess_of_Salisbury

Mary Tudor became Mary I of England, more popularly known as 'Bloody Mary' due to her violent attempts to return England to Catholicism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_I_of_England

It was Lady Margaret Pole who was executed in May 1541:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Pole,_Countess_of_Salisbury

Mary Tudor became Mary I of England, more popularly known as 'Bloody Mary' due to her violent attempts to return England to Catholicism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_I_of_England

That is what An ard ri was saying. That Margaret pole who had sided with Catherine and Mary was later executed. Perhaps missing punctuation made if less clear. She wasn’t suggesting Mary Tudor was executed.

Haakon and Mette-Marit has one nanny (as far as the press knows) for Ingrid and Marius, Maria Friestad Bergseth Sikkeland. She is the daughter of the woman that was Haakon and Märthas nanny. She is an educated in childrens pedagogics (Norw:Barneværnspedagog)

1088362761.88386.jpg
1026195113.jpg

This information is very interesting.

Marie Louise de Rohan ,Countess of Marsan was the French Governess of the Royal Children from 1727 until 1776.
The Countess resigned from her position as she did not have a good relationship with Marie Antoinette and was replaced by her niece,Victoire de Rohan.

Victoire de Rohan holding Marie-Thérèse Charlotte de France,Madame Royale.

323px-Marie_Th%C3%A9r%C3%A8se_Charlotte_of_France_with_her_governess.jpg

Talking about nannies & governesses, I bought a book & read years ago, the title is
"From Cradle to Crown" by Charlotte Zeepvat , British nannies & governesses at the
world's royal courts, it is very entertaining to read of the who is who at the world's royal courts. Has anybody read the book too?

Talking about nannies & governesses, I bought a book & read years ago, the title is
"From Cradle to Crown" by Charlotte Zeepvat , British nannies & governesses at the
world's royal courts, it is very entertaining to read of the who is who at the world's royal courts. Has anybody read the book too?

Yes, I think I've read almost everything Charlotte Zeepvat has written. I enjoyed "From Cradle to Crown" very much, but I was obsessed with "Romanov Autumn" and have read it several times. She is probably my favorite royal author.

Yes, I think I've read almost everything Charlotte Zeepvat has written. I enjoyed "From Cradle to Crown" very much, but I was obsessed with "Romanov Autumn" and have read it several times. She is probably my favorite royal author.

I've got a few books of Charlotte Zeepvat, also a few photobooks (b/w) from her, Charlotte is also one of my favorites too & i got a few & read about the Romanovs. Keep in touch!

Françoise d'Estamville, Dame de Paroy was the French governess of queen Mary, Queen of Scots who joined her court in 1551.
Mary's aunt, the Lady Janet Stewart, Lady Fleming had previously been her Governess but was dismissed by Catherine de Médicis and sent back to Scotland for having a liaison with Henri II of France.

Here's an article from the DM with a couple more nannies who cared for Princes William and Harry. The article has a total of five women named. Ruth Wallace and Jessie Webb were the two missing from the earlier post. Jessie Webb also assisted the then Cambridges with Prince George for a few months before Maria Turrion Borrallo was hired.

Back
Top Bottom