The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I can't help but wonder if Victoria brought back Elizabeth Zimmerman to assist her setting the standard for the nursery. More in teaching Victoria an adult view of "the Nursery" and setting the necessary "royal" component as a standard for all the younger Nannies.

Estelle is usually exceptionally well behaved in public and I am not sure if we have even seen a tiny tantrum in public, yet she is a happy, charming and outgoing child. Someone must be doing something right.
Think you're onto something there:
1. Elisabeth is someone they know they can trust and someone who's professional abilities they don't need any references on.
2. Using someone they already know minimizes the amount of "strangers" in the home.
3. Her discretion is without a doubt. The only short interview she's given was friendly but very correct.
4. She's an active member of the Pentecostal church something especially the Queen was very happy to find out at her job interview.
All this makes her a perfect example to the other nannies.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Nanny Lightbody, Prince Charles's first nanny, was of the old school. Rule the nursery with a rod of iron and terrify the parents into submission. Apparently a hierarchy prevailed in the nursery in which young Charles was very much the senior child. Princess Anne made a remark about Nanny Lightbody putting the 'senior child' Charles first, when viewing old footage in the doco celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday.

The Queen and Nanny Lightbody came to a parting of the ways when the Queen put a pudding for Charles on the nursery menu of which the nanny disapproved. The Queen had never challenged the nanny before but girded her loins and gave her the sack. After that the much loved Mabel Anderson took over. Charles in particular was devoted to her.

Goodness, it always fascinates me how much clout nannies and governesses are permitted to hold in Royal and upper class households, or at least WERE permitted to have. I don't think you see that so much now. The mothers tend not to want to let their children's nannies overshadow them so much.

The late Princess of Wales sacked at least one of William's nannies when she felt the boy was getting too close for comfort.

Thanks for the story Curryong.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth Franklin was the nanny of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna of Russia.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Victoria of the United Kingdom, The Princess Royal's first governess was Lady Sarah Spencer, the daughter of George Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Princess Victoria of the United Kingdom, The Princess Royal's first governess was Lady Sarah Spencer, the daughter of George Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer.
She was Lady Sarah Lyttleton by that time. She was a widow when she entered Queen Victoria's court. She was widowed in 1837 and came to court originally as a lady in waiting to the queen. She was thought fondly of by both Victoria and Albert, and was named governess in 1843. She wasn't hire simply as governess to Victoria, but to over see the entire nursery, hired the year that Alice was born. She left in 1850 (the year Alfred was born) after the death of her own daughter, to raise her motherless grandchildren. The royal children all affectionately referred to her as Laddie, even as adults. The queen had been reluctant to let her leave, but she gave Sarah a very generous pension of 800 a year when she did.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you think Prince Harry and Meghan will hire a nanny who had been employed by some of their aristocratic friends?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would think that anyone in Harry and Meghan's circle of friends that have hired a nanny probably still has use for one. :) So no, I don't think so.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Majesty

I think they will get a "professional" Nanny. Norlands and other such places produce fully vetted and trained nannies. That includes the care and nurturing of infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers. They are also trained in evasive/defensive driving and self defence among a multitude of other things.

The more "Patronages" and such that both Harry and Meghan take on, the busier they will be what with prep, engagements and tours. And they are well schooled for each engagement. If they weren't, the would both have featured in 'idiot plonker' or 'vacuous' dolly stories in all the rags.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

For approximately how many years is a professional nanny employed?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It depends, but William and Harry still had a nanny when young teens.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think they will get a "professional" Nanny. Norlands and other such places produce fully vetted and trained nannies. That includes the care and nurturing of infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers. They are also trained in evasive/defensive driving and self defence among a multitude of other things.

The more "Patronages" and such that both Harry and Meghan take on, the busier they will be what with prep, engagements and tours. And they are well schooled for each engagement. If they weren't, the would both have featured in 'idiot plonker' or 'vacuous' dolly stories in all the rags.
I agree. I can imagine the Sussexes will choose a Noorland Nanny like the Cambridges.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don’t think the nannies do any driving. I mean, the Royal Family most certainly have professional drivers to drive them ( and the nannies whenever required).
Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Tiggy Legge Burke was sometimes referred to as William and Harry's 'nanny' by the media when they were in their teens, but I don't think she was carrying on the normal duties required of nannies, Norland trained or otherwise. She was more a companion and 'big sister' to the boys during their school holidays when Charles worked and joined in their country activities. She remains close to them to this day. They also had an equivalent 'big brother', Mark Dyer.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I remember right, during Harry and Meghan's engagement period with a visit to Wales, Harry took Meghan to Tiggy Legge Bourke's bed and breakfast place in Wales to introduce Meghan to her.

Nannies (or companions) aren't solely employees or glorified baby sitters but actually an integral part of a child's life. Relationships are formed that are enduring. I would expect George, Charlotte and Louis to have such a relationship with their Maria and Harry and Meghan will find someone just as suitable for their child(ren). It seems to be almost like adopting another treasured member of the family rather than hiring an employee IMO.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 03-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Royal Highness

I've heard it recently reported (whether true or not ) that Doria is expected to spend time in England helping Meghan and Harry after the baby's birth. I read that in a recent article about the progress of the Frogmore Cottage renovation:
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/enterta...e-renovations/
"... they're giving Meghan's Mom, Doria Ragland, her own room for when she comes to visit and help out with the baby..."

And in the below article toward the very end:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...y-shower.html/
"Doria is supposedly going to spend some time in England once the baby arrives..."

So perhaps Doria is gearing up to stay and help out for several months right up through the christening, which will most likely occur in July, as Prince Louis' christening did last year. Perhaps during her time in the UK, Doria may assist in helping the Sussexes find the most suitable nanny from the best candidates available. It's crucial to find someone with the right personality, as well as all of the other background and training requirements.

Maybe Doria will arrive a few weeks in advance of the birth to help M&H with their move to Frogmore, and perhaps attend a more private baby shower celebration that the public won't hear much about. It would certainly make sense for Doria to make the trip to England well in advance of the expected due date.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

We have to remember this is the media that also said Doria had moved to the UK after the wedding and was living with them

Doria is not a retired woman who is going to uproot her life to move over and be a nanny to her grandchild. But she has a job, friends and more back home that she has to think of as well.

The same stories were told about Carole, and her being nanny to George when he was born. It seems the media likes recycling stories over and over again. At least Carole was close by and works a business she could do from home if needed. Not the situation that Doria is in.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think Doria is planning to be her grandchild's nanny, and that's not what I said. I do believe Doria plans to spend time helping Meghan and Harry prior to and immediately after the baby is born.

None of the articles I cited mention anything about the length of time Doria is expected to stay, nor do they falsely indicate any plans by Doria to move to England.

Slightly modifying my previous speculation, it's more likely that Doria will arrive before the birth, stay possibly through the end of May, return home, and then make a brief trip back to England for the baby's christening.

I also expressed my opinion that perhaps Doria might assist H&M in selecting a nanny, which does NOT mean becoming a nanny herself!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don’t think the nannies do any driving. I mean, the Royal Family most certainly have professional drivers to drive them ( and the nannies whenever required).
I merely said they are trained in it just as they are trained in defensive pram pushing. I kid you not!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I don't think Doria is planning to be her grandchild's nanny, and that's not what I said. I do believe Doria plans to spend time helping Meghan and Harry prior to and immediately after the baby is born.

None of the articles I cited mention anything about the length of time Doria is expected to stay, nor do they falsely indicate any plans by Doria to move to England.

Slightly modifying my previous speculation, it's more likely that Doria will arrive before the birth, stay possibly through the end of May, return home, and then make a brief trip back to England for the baby's christening.

I also expressed my opinion that perhaps Doria might assist H&M in selecting a nanny, which does NOT mean becoming a nanny herself!
It was your post, not the article, I was referring to. It was you who suggested the length of time she would stay. You suggested:

Quote:
So perhaps Doria is gearing up to stay and help out for several months right up through the christening, which will most likely occur in July, as Prince Louis' christening did last year. Perhaps during her time in the UK, Doria may assist in helping the Sussexes find the most suitable nanny from the best candidates available. It's crucial to find someone with the right personality, as well as all of the other background and training requirements.
If the christening is in July, suggesting Doria is going to come to UK for four months is not a 'vacation'. Its uprooting her life and moving, even if short period, to the UK.

Nor did I suggest the articles claimed Doria would be nanny. I just compared the coverage to when George was born. And when speculation was that instead of hiring a nanny, Carol would live with the couple for a few months and help with George. The same speculation has now appeared with Doria.

Quote:
I merely said they are trained in it just as they are trained in defensive pram pushing. I kid you not!
Yes they go through some seriously deep training.

Around here most nannies have little training, other then CPR, just child experience. Some will have an early childhood education degree. I cant even imagine having to learn defensive driving to be a nanny. But then again thankfully I never had to wear those uniforms either. I may have considered my ECE if I stayed in as a nanny more then 2 years. But I ended up going down the nursing path instead. Take my nurse scrubs over those Norland uniforms any day.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 AM
Majesty

Blergh beige, brown and a pudding bowl hat? No contest.