The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
Prince Christian of Denmark's nanny, Mette.
picture taken during the prince's christening. (from polfoto)

no pics! i wanted see that pics please

Old 01-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

TRH the Crown Prince and Prince Joachim of Denmark have stated that they, in retrospect, would have liked to have seen more of their parents when they were young. They had a nanny whom they are still very fond of, Else Kirstine Pedersen, who also attended the christening of HRH Prince Christian.

HM Queen Margrethe II has on several occasions clearly admitted that she ought to have been more of a mother, less of a queen when her children were small. But she has also admitted that she was not good with small children at the time. I interpret that as saying that the handling of small children made her feel unsure of herself. But now, it is clear to all that Her Majesty's relations to her sons and grandchildren are very good. When asked whether she was ever jealous of Else Kirstine Pedersen, Her Majesty clearly denied. She was simply very happy that her sons liked their nanny so much, as long as the Queen did not doubt that her boys loved her as their mother.

/Lasse Pedersen

Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyone knows about nannies for Elena, Cristina and Felipe of Spain?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
no pics! i wanted see that pics please
rehosted for you, sara1981.
here is Prince Christian of Denmark's nanny, Mette

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8...68guest5sl.jpg
Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

here's one of peter and zara phillips with their nanny pat moss from 1985 at windsor horse trials. pat moss was their nanny from just before zara's birth. she was hired to help princess anne with her children as she was a really hands on mom.(from getty images)
Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Courtier

My favorite would be Queen Elizabeth's nanny Marion Crawford that has already been mentioned here. I've read her book "The Little Princesses: The Story of the Queen's Childhood by her Nanny, Marion Crawford" and it's very good. Marion crawford was such a loving governess, more so then I thought they would be back then, she truely cared for the Elizabeth and Margeret. I reccomend the book to anybody who would want to read about Lillabet's childhood.:)
Old 02-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Nobility

Amalia & nanny in Turin
(Leo Vogelzang)
Old 02-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Odd question:
what's a governess?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofan
Odd question:
what's a governess?
Kind of like an live-in tutor...she/he is in charge of teaching the child, unlike the nanny who takes care of child-care. Like home-schooling...only the parent is not the one home-schooling the children.

Have you ever read Jane Eyre? In that novel, Jane is the governess to Adele.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

saterday in the telegraaf, a dutch newspaper an article about the nanny of the children of WA and Maxima, she was trained at

Welcome to the Norland College website

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha View Post
I believe some of them do go to a school to learn to be a nanny- for instance, there are three schools that I know of that most royal nannies in the UK attend- Norland, Childton, and Princess Christian Nanny Training College. Must be a big business there.
For the other royals, I'm not exactly sure how one gets chosen to be a nanny. Good question, maybe someone could find out for us!
-Kara-
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
saterday in the telegraaf, a dutch newspaper an article about the nanny of the children of WA and Maxima, she was trained at

Welcome to the Norland College website
I wonder if their nanny speaks Spanish too?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

not really necessary I imagine, the nanny speaks english with them so they can learn, they probably speak spanish/dutch and english with Maxima and spanish/english with their grandparents from their mothers side.

I was brought up with 3 languages (no nanny though ) and it works, children learn fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I wonder if their nanny speaks Spanish too?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Did Princess Anne of Great Britain have a nanny for her children, Peter and Zara?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Royals and Their Nannies

I know QEII and POW had Loving and close relationships with their caregivers but what about Other Royals?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

William and Harry were/are close to at least some of their nannies. William and his maternal aunts attended Olga Powell's funeral in 2012 (Harry was in Afghanistan.) He cancelled engagements to go. Jessie Webb helped William and Catherine with George before they hired Nanny Maria. And the whole family is close to Tiggy Legge-Bourke (now Pettifer.)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Royal Highness

King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden and his sister's were very close to their nanny, the noblewoman Nenne Björnberg. So close that their mother, Princess Sibylla, got upset when they went to Nenne instead of to her with their problems. Inspite of this the two women also became quite close with Nenne often being able to rein in the quite temperamental princess.
Nenne remained an integral part of the Royal family all her life and once the children grew up became the main housekeeper at the Royal palaces.
After the births of the Kings children she became head nanny. Big parts of the family attended her funeral.
Another Swedish nanny is Elisabeth Zimmerman who after taking care of Crown Princess Victoria and her siblings was rehired to take care of Victoria's children Estelle and Oscar.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Majesty

Nanny Lightbody, Prince Charles's first nanny, was of the old school. Rule the nursery with a rod of iron and terrify the parents into submission. Apparently a hierarchy prevailed in the nursery in which young Charles was very much the senior child. Princess Anne made a remark about Nanny Lightbody putting the 'senior child' Charles first, when viewing old footage in the doco celebrating the Queen's 90th birthday.

The Queen and Nanny Lightbody came to a parting of the ways when the Queen put a pudding for Charles on the nursery menu of which the nanny disapproved. The Queen had never challenged the nanny before but girded her loins and gave her the sack. After that the much loved Mabel Anderson took over. Charles in particular was devoted to her.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Majesty

Irish-born Margaret Eager was nurse and nursery governess to the four daughters of the last Tsar Nicholas of Russia from 1898 to 1904. (There was quite a long tradition of British nannies in the Romanov household.)

Margaret might have been dismissed because the British were allied to the Japanese at the time of the 1904 Russo-Japanese War, though Britain didn't play an active role in the conflict. She taught the four little Grand Duchesses English, but they ended up speaking it with an Irish accent which was later 'corrected'!

Margaret and the four girls corresponded until the deaths at Ekaterinberg. It was said that Margaret, who died in 1936, was haunted by this for the rest of her life.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Majesty

Elizabeth Zimmerman has been brought back by both Victoria and Madeleine.

With the royal trio as kids
https://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/...-nanny-ibl.jpg

With Estelle

http://kuvakauppa.lehtikuva.fi/edori...e60547bf90f7fa

With Leonor

http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/FRA...4_27042015.jpg

Back with the family for Oscar now. Estelle has a few younger nannies

Crown Princess Victoria, Estelle, Oscar and nanny Elisabeth Zimmerman left already from Kalmar Airport to Stockholm.

As for Harry and William, Tiggy was not only at the royal wedding but her son was a page. Both William and Harry serve as godfather to one of her sons as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Majesty

I can't help but wonder if Victoria brought back Elizabeth Zimmerman to assist her setting the standard for the nursery. More in teaching Victoria an adult view of "the Nursery" and setting the necessary "royal" component as a standard for all the younger Nannies.

Estelle is usually exceptionally well behaved in public and I am not sure if we have even seen a tiny tantrum in public, yet she is a happy, charming and outgoing child. Someone must be doing something right.