The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Did Queen Ingrid of Denmark ever had a miscarriage?It seemed to take a long time to give birth to her first child after marriage.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Courtier

Yes - she had a couple before Margrethe's birth, and then at least one betweeen Margrethe and Benedikte.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Did Queen Maud also have a miscarrage?It seems weird that she only had one child in her days.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Courtier

There's nothing recorded about Maud, but of course it's always possible. I do think she probably had difficulty getting pregnant, though.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Courtier

If you look at that waist of hers, it doesn't surprise me she had difficulties. So tiny!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Do you think, that the mothers, who had lost their children during her pregnancy, think every day on the dead children and imagine how it would be, when they weren't dead?

I hope for all pregnant women, either royal or not, that all the best will cover them and that the babies will have a healthy and enjoyable life.
Im pretty sure that the royal woman who goes throug a miscarriages is just like you and me. That is something you never forget. I had 3 miscarriages and its not one day that goes by, that i think about that i could have 3 children. How would they look like, would they do fine at school + + +
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent View Post
DO you know what year?

1962, if i'm not mistaken...
Old 06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

And how about P. Caroline of Monaco? The reason i ask this, is that, a short while after Pierre's birth she was potographed on the beach with a rather large waste... and rumours of a pregnancy started flying aroung. Also a more or less six month about Alexandra's birth her proeminent stomach called the attentention of the press and... a new pregnancy came to the reporters minds. And who can forget a couple of pictures taken in Thailand that came to light in January 2006? P. Caroline was already 49, but her belly was soooo proeminent that EVERYBODY gave a late pregnancy for sure!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Do you think, that the mothers, who had lost their children during her pregnancy, think every day on the dead children and imagine how it would be, when they weren't dead?

I hope for all pregnant women, either royal or not, that all the best will cover them and that the babies will have a healthy and enjoyable life.
When a specific date passes or something else triggers the memory, yes we think about them.
In my case I sometimes have double feelings. I got pregnant again just three months after losing my baby. So, if I hadn't lost my baby, I wouldn't have had my little 5-month-old-girl now. And I would have had a different child. I will always wonder how our child would have looked like etc. That will never go away.

I feel for the Royal women, though. There is so much (more) pressure and focus on them. Things like that doesn't make it easier to get pregnant, let alone stay pregnant and cope with it if something goes wrong.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Nobility

Didn't Queen Margarethe of Denmark have one or two miscarriages, too?

I think I remember something like this was discussed when Mary expected her twins. Something along the line "QM always wanted to have more kids, especially daughters to her son, too." But I'm not sure whether her missing daughters are due to miscarriages or just problems conceiving them. Or rather conceiving more kids in general not just a problem conceiving daughters (which obiously isn't the womens "work", but the mens )? Or was it due to hard previous pregnancys with her sons that the doctor said she shouldn't risk another pregnancy?

Can anyone shed any light to this? Because I obviously have no specific memories about the reason for her "only" having two sons. I just seem to remember the fact that she always wanted to have more kids.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think this is why the Royals wait well into the second trimester to make any formal pregnancy announcements. It's just heartbreaking to have it out there and then something happen...
Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

I think I read somewhere that Alexandra Feodorovna had a miscarriage after GD Maria's or GD Anastasia's (can't remember which it is) birth too, but it might be me mixing it together with the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Didn't Queen Margarethe of Denmark have one or two miscarriages, too?

I think I remember something like this was discussed when Mary expected her twins. Something along the line "QM always wanted to have more kids, especially daughters to her son, too." But I'm not sure whether her missing daughters are due to miscarriages or just problems conceiving them. Or rather conceiving more kids in general not just a problem conceiving daughters (which obiously isn't the womens "work", but the mens )? Or was it due to hard previous pregnancys with her sons that the doctor said she shouldn't risk another pregnancy?

Can anyone shed any light to this? Because I obviously have no specific memories about the reason for her "only" having two sons. I just seem to remember the fact that she always wanted to have more kids.
I've heard something about a miscarriage, but I am not sure if it's true. I do recall reading something about her not being able to have more children after P Joachim, but that her and P Henrik had always wanted a girl too.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Serene Highness

Miscarriages usually happen in the first trimester which is why some people royal or non-royal don't announce their pregnancy right away. Having a miscarriage is a sad experience especially if it's the first pregnancy.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
I think this is why the Royals wait well into the second trimester to make any formal pregnancy announcements. It's just heartbreaking to have it out there and then something happen...
As do many of us who are not royal for exactly the same reasons.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Commoner

Quote:

As a mother who recently lost a child shortly after birth (after several miscarriages), I can assure you those thoughts are always there.

While it such a terrible topic, I wish more "famous" people discussed miscarriage and infant loss. It would help remove the stigma from such a taboo subject.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaatje

As a mother who recently lost a child shortly after birth (after several miscarriages), I can assure you those thoughts are always there.

While it such a terrible topic, I wish more "famous" people discussed miscarriage and infant loss. It would help remove the stigma from such a taboo subject.
I agree and it does seem that it Is discussed more and there is more understanding I wish you happier times ahead
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Courtier

OMG, what a sad discussion topic. But I have to admit, there were many miscarriages, I did not (yet) hear about it.
Thank god, that with so many royal ladies everything went well with the existing children.
I already have heard about the 5 miscarriages from Queen Fabiola and I feel so sorry for her. Such a dignified, loving children and religious lady. How much pain must it have been to her at the times when she lost baby after baby.
Bye Bine
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittencrews View Post
Hmm... I'm trying to remember which years... I do remember from a book that it was of course between Albert and Stephanie. People say that is one of the reasons she spoiled Stephanie so much.

Elizabet the Queen Mother also had a miscarriage.
Are you sure the QM had one? I read her offical bio and it never said anything of a miscarriage.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Nobility

In the time of the QM you didn't discus pregnancies in public and even less miscarriages; miscarriage is very common and 'normal' - it becomes only tragic in the cases of i.e. Queen Fabiola and other who end up with no children at all.

But having miscarriages between children born is nothing special - in my mind there is no need to have it talked about by other people.

I don't say it's not a sad event for the family involved, but it doesn't help to exaggerate a common fact of live.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMinka View Post
According to Royalsa Queen Sonja had two miscarriges:
1. Miscarriage (2 July 1970)
2. Martha-Louise (22 September 1971)
3. Miscarriage (3 June 1972)
4. Haakon Magnus (20 July 1973)
So sad Sonja had two miscarriges.I wonder how it feels to have pressure to have a son for 5 years.Even more pressure that she did not pregnant soon after her marriage.