Royal Medical Conditions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld
Prince Bernhard died of cancer at the age of 93 on 1 December 2004; until his death he suffered from malignant lung and intestinal tumors.

HM Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld
From the mid-1990's, Queen Juliana suffered from the progressive onset of senility (attributed to Alzheimer's disease by many although this was denied by the Royal Family) and so did not appear in public after that time. At the order of the Royal Family's doctors, Juliana was placed under 24-hour watch by two nurses. Prince Bernhard publicly admitted in a TV interview in 2001 that she could no longer recognize her family. Queen Juliana died in her sleep on March 20, 2004, aged 94, at Soestdijk Palace in Baarn from complications of pneumonia.

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg
Prince Claus suffered various health problems during his life, such as depression, cancer and Parkinson's disease. He died on October 6, 2002 after a long illness.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg
Prince Claus suffered various health problems during his life, such as depression, cancer and Parkinson's disease. He died on October 6, 2002 after a long illness.
I have always been impressed with Beatrix's ability to cope with her husband's devestating illness. What would impress me more however is for the children to set up support for a research foundation for the nightmare Parkinson's disease. Just imagine the money they could make for it- it could be the Dutch equivalent of The Prince of Wales' Prince's Trust.
However has that been done already? Perhaps someone could enlighten me if that is the case.

juliana said:
I have always been impressed with Beatrix's ability to cope with her husband's devestating illness. What would impress me more however is for the children to set up support for a research foundation for the nightmare Parkinson's disease. Just imagine the money they could make for it- it could be the Dutch equivalent of The Prince of Wales' Prince's Trust.
However has that been done already? Perhaps someone could enlighten me if that is the case.
Instead of focussing on the late Prince's illnesses, the Government honoured him with a Prince Claus Fund to promote for his lifelong ideals: increasing cultural awareness and promoting exchange between culture and development.

The Fund receives some € 6.000.000,-- a year (appr. $ 7,500,000.--) besides the rents on the foundation capital, which was given as a cadeau for the late Prince's 70th birthday in 1996.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Henri M. said:
Instead of focussing on the late Prince's illnesses, the Government honoured him with a Prince Claus Fund to promote for his lifelong ideals: increasing cultural awareness and promoting exchange between culture and development.

The Fund receives some € 6.000.000,-- a year (appr. $ 7,500,000.--) besides the rents on the foundation capital, which was given as a cadeau for the late Prince's 70th birthday in 1996.

An admirable fund but I do think that a fund for the research into Parkinson's cure would also be ideal. It is a devestating illness and as far as I am aware Claus is the only royal who has been publically acknowledged to die from it. Medical research is needed . Check out the Michael J Fox site and look at the huge sums of money his foundation has been able to provide for research. I am sure Claus' sons could do the same. It would be a lovely gift to the millions who die from it each year.
http://www.michaeljfox.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Caroline of Hanover's hair loss was determined to be stress-related.
George III had porphyria.
The hemophilia of Tsarevich Alexei (also Queen Ena's two sons)
Queen Alexandra had fever as a child and was deaf as a result but that may not be considered a "catastrophic" illness. Ditto for Princess Andrew of Greece who was deaf and also suffered from depression, as did Prince Claus.

Princess Sibylla, the mother of King Carl XVI Gustaf, died of cancer in 1972. And her mother-in-law Crown princess Margareta died very prematurely in 1920, when she was only thirtyeight years old. If we should include accidents, we can't forget Margareta's son and Sibylla's husband, Prince Gustaf Adolf, and his fatal airplane crash.

Crown Princess Margareta was pregnant with the sixth child when she died :'(

Prince William of Gloucester also died in an aeroplane crash, as did his uncle, Prince George, the Duke of Kent, but these aren't really illnesses. Crown Prince Rupprecht and Crown Princess Marie Gabriele of Bavaria had three of their children die early. His eldest son and heir-apparent, Prince Luitpold, b. 1901, had polio and died in 1914; his daughter Irmingard, also died young, but I don't know what she died from. Their youngest son, Prince Rudolf, died of diabetes, I think. Marie Gabriele also died shortly before Luitpold, but I can't remember what from.

Are all Royals healthy?

Hey there!

Recently this thought came to my mind:
Are all Royals healthy? It seems no royal person has any serious illnesses, no one is overweight or mentally challenged. The only Royal which you might call ill is the Princess of Japan who is depressive (if this is confirmed at all?).
Are they just really lucky?

Unless a Royal were diagnosed as being terminally ill I sincerely doubt they would publicly discuss their health problems.

Moreover why should they?

No, all Royals aren't healthy. That would be impossible. Many royals are as healthy as they can be seeing as how they smoke and pollute their lungs.

If there's any evidence of mental retardation or serious illnesses, you can believe that that evidence will never see the light of day unless someone sneaky uncovered it.

If there's any evidence of mental retardation or serious illnesses, you can believe that that evidence will never see the light of day unless someone sneaky uncovered it.

Yes, but if they were some of the more known royals, wouldn't everyone know at once?

Hey there!

Are all Royals healthy? It seems no royal person has any serious illnesses, no one is overweight or mentally challenged. The only Royal which you might call ill is the Princess of Japan who is depressive (if this is confirmed at all?).

The only official information I've ever read about Princess Masako's condition was a statement referring to it as an "Adjustment Disorder."

What kind of healthy are we talking about? The King of Sweden and Crown Princess Victoria have dyslexia. However, those are not huge diseases that would affect there enjoyment of life! As for other royals: King Harald of Norway has had his share of health concerns 2003 he had bladder cancer and 2005 he had some heart problems. Queen Margrethe has had knee issues. And I think Queen Beatrix has had some knee or leg issues as well( I think that's why she uses walking sticks when she walks great distance on rough terrain) I also remember reading that Crown Prince Willem has a immune deficiency syndrome disease (Besnier-Boeck's Disease).
And lets not forget though in recent decades it has not affected royals but in years past hemophilia was a problem in European royalty.

So they are not totally and perfectly healthy either. And like others have said I doubt some stuff would ever be told to the public if there were health problems. I think it's only when it might affect their work level that it would be reported or of course should the royal themselves choose to disclose it.

The Princess Eugenie had surgery to correct her scoliosis.

Last edited:
Didn't King Albert of Belgium have heart surgery?

Didn't King Albert of Belgium have heart surgery?

I am unsure about King Albert having heart surgery but just this past summer he had to have emergency hip surgery.

Last edited:
To my knowledge there was no actual disease reported concerning Prince Rainier. But he had increasing issues near the end of his life with his lungs, heart and kidneys. So one might think that Rainier was likely suffering from some type of disease or major illness that originally caused problems with his organs.

Prince Claus of the Netherlands suffered from depression, cancer, and Parkinson's prior to his death. Queen Juliana suffered from senility. Prince Bernhard also died of cancer. Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte suffered from lung cancer. Queen Elizabeth II has suffered from back problems in recent years. The fact that many royals, especially from the older generation smoke, also means that many might be hit with lung diseases in the future.
Obviously, despite having access to the best medical care possible, royals are still not going to be completely healthy. It would be interesting to see how a modern day Prince John Prince John of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia situation would be handled.

I am unsure about King Albert having heart surgery but just this past summer he had to have emergency hip surgery.

Yes, King Albert did have open heart surgery, as did his late brother King Baudouin and their father Leopold III. Heart disease is unfortunately a hereditary problem in the Saxe-Coburg Gotha family.

I think this topic is a strange one, period. Of course Royals have health problems...they are human just like the rest of us and they suffer from cancer, heart disease, depression and fertility issues just like the general population.

Last edited:
I think royals have health problems. And as they age, they will come down with more. We all have to die of something. As you age your diseases become more numerous from wear and tear on the body, and just your organs etc getting old. Many royals smoke. So I agree that they will have problems with that. I do think they have the oportunity to be healthier as they have more money to have a nice gym or trainer. They also can have a cook, and some control over their schedules for relaxation and hobbies.

I know Victoria of Sweden also suffered from an eating disorder when she lived in US. I can't remember which one it was. Masako has had her adjustment disorder for many years now. Recently she has started to make one or two public appearances. They really won't say what is wrong with her. Her mother in law the Empress also sufferred from a mental condition.

Little Lady Louise was born with an eye problem which has been fixed. Diana had slimers disease, and some mental problems. King Hussein of Jordan had cancer I believe which he went to the Mayo Clinic for treatment.

I know Crown Princess Mary takes health and fitness very seriously. She convinced Crown Prince Frederick to give up smoking.

I don't know if other royals have fitness regimes.

I know Victoria of Sweden also suffered from an eating disorder when she lived in US. I can't remember which one it was.

Crown Princess Victoria suffered from anorexia. She went to the U.S. to get treatment and have more privacy to get that treatment.

Hey there!

If not all, at least HM The Queen and HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh are healthy royals.

Philip Prospero, Prince of Asturias (1657-1661) was a son of King Philip IV of Spain and Mariana of Austria. He suffered from epilepsy.

Medical conditions

First of all best wishes to Prince Phillip. Get well soon! Secondly there are more than forty medical conditions that are heritable in the royal family, including hair and eyes color changes. Each family has a list. Some are dominant and some aren't.

First of all best wishes to Prince Phillip. Get well soon! Secondly there are more than forty medical conditions that are heritable in the royal family, including hair and eyes color changes. Each family has a list. Some are dominant and some aren't.

Eye colour and hair colour are genetic traits not medical conditions.

Medical conditions can be genetic. But that’s things like hemophilia and diabetes. Not having red hair. Medical conditions are abnormalities that affect you negatively. More then maybe a nuisssnce of premature balding.

Colorblindness

I wasn't sure if this belonged with disabilities and special needs, but have any royals been known to be colorblind, now or in the past? It is extremely hereditary...

And all fashion jokes aside, it might explain a thing or two.

According to Mr Google, "Generally, about 0.5 percent of women overall are affected by any type of color blindness." So it seems that most royal women would not be colourblind and therefore have little to do with any extremely unflattering colour choices.

It does affect mostly men, yes. Who are not exempt from questionable outfits. (I imagine particularly if one were royal, one could have an aide for this.)

That would be if any of them are or were ever colorblind, which I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom