Royal Medical Conditions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was my understanding that a genetic mutation occurred when the Duchess of Kent became pregnant with Victoria. I have never heard of anyone in the Duchess's family having hemophilia or being a carrier prior to Victoria (but maybe I'm wrong).

iowabelle said:
It was my understanding that a genetic mutation occurred when the Duchess of Kent became pregnant with Victoria. I have never heard of anyone in the Duchess's family having hemophilia or being a carrier prior to Victoria (but maybe I'm wrong).

What do you mean by "genetic mutation" ? was it caused by the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Kent were cousins? (were they related?)

I think it's just speculation as to what caused the mutation in the gene that controlled the clotting factor of blood in this case...

but it's natural for some mutations to spontaneously occur during reproduction. Otherwise, we'd all look alike, wouldn't we? Some mutations are good, while others are bad.

In this particular case, the consequences were catastrophic for some dynasties.

Several years ago there was an article about Tiggy Legge-Bourke, the nanny for William and Harry, having Celiac Disease, an intolerance to gluten. In the same article it said that the Duchess of Kent had also had been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I have since read that Lady Helen Taylor has "difficulties" with wheat and dairy.

Queen Margrethe de Denmark suffers osteo-artritis

Princess Diana have allergy any? like flowers, seafood, whatevers and Prince William and Prince Harry have Allergy any? like flowers,seafood,whatevers

Sara Boyce

iowabelle said:

I am not sure about this. I believe Charlotte Zeepvat (author of 'Prince Leopold') pointed out that there were a lot of young men who died young in the Saxe-Coburg family. As people did not speak about this disease (Victoria bluntly denied that her so had this disease) we do not know if it was a mutation or inherrited.

Some British Royals and a few others thrown in. . . . . .

King George III had porphyria. King George V of Hanover was blind.

Princess Alice of Greece was deaf since childhood and Queen Alexandra of England rapidly lost her hearing in adulthood.

Princess Amelia (George III's daughter) was a consumptive.

Queen Caroline (consort to George II) had a rupture of her uterine wall and lived many years in pain and didn't tell a soul because George II disliked illness. She died because she didn't get help.

Queen Anne of England suffered from gout. Her son, Prince William, was encephalatic (fluid on the brain) and died at age 11.

Mary Tudor had cancer and died from it. Her mother, Katharine of Aragon, may also have suffered from cancer and died because of it.

Anne of Austria, mother of Louis XIV, had breast cancer and died a horrible death. Louis XIV lived through many maladies including a fistula which was operated on. Many died of this, but he lived.

Regarding the Hemophilia of the British royal family, Hemophilia is an X-linked genetic disorder- meaning the defective gene came from a female carrier but dont have the disease.If a woman carries a hemophiliac gene, there's a 50% chance that her daughters will become carriers, and 50% chance that her sons will have the disease.Girls dont have the disease but carry the genes, however boys are the only ones who have the disease and suffer from the deadly overbleeding symptoms.That is the reason why some of Queen Victoria's male descendants died young. :(

Last edited:
H.M. Margrethe said:
Queen Margrethe of Denmark is allergic for champange. i don´t think it must be fun for her at 12 AM at New Year.:rolleyes:

Where did you hear that?

H.M. Margrethe said:
Queen Margrethe of Denmark is allergic for champange. i don´t think it must be fun for her at 12 AM at New Year.:rolleyes:

I read that Monaco's Princess Caroline is allergic to a seaweed used to make sushi.

mette marit is now suffering from low pressure...

Mahoogie said:
Regarding the Hemophilia of the British royal family, Hemophilia is an X-linked genetic disorder- meaning the defective gene came from a female carrier but dont have the disease.If a woman carries a hemophiliac gene, there's a 50% chance that her daughters will become carriers, and 50% chance that her sons will have the disease.Girls dont have the disease but carry the genes, however boys are the only ones who have the disease and suffer from the deadly overbleeding symptoms.That is the reason why some of Queen Victoria's male descendants died young. :(

There is a minute possibility of a female haemophiliac but it requires a father with the disease and a mother who is a carrier. The resulting female offspring would not survive puberty.

hillary_nugent said:
I think Queen Rania has diabetes, i'm not exactly certain though...

shs too thin for having diabetes....
if she has - she would be type I diabetes - and at the beginning (in youth) - your are very thin - but later not so much anymore like she is....

Royals and Major (Catastrophic) Illnesses

It came to my attention that with all of the illness in the world today, I have not heard of any Royal family who has had to deal with these illnesses first hand. Everyone knows someone who has now or has had a family member with: Cancer (of its many forms), Heart disease, Hypertension, Stroke, Diabetes, HIV/AIDS or many of the other catastrophic illnesses out there.

It only makes sense that the families have had some members who have had at least one of these illness. For example, known Cancer is not as uncommon as it used to be, due in large part to the ability to test and fight this terrible affliction.

Does anyone know of any member of a Royal family that has had to deal with this issue?

Thanks!

Kings, Queen, Princes and Princess are humans like the rest, thus they are fragile. Many of them died of 'serious' ilnesses. Here is a short summary of a few of them. And I didn't count cases like 'madness' (quite familiar in many Royal Families) and Hemophilia (not less familiar).
Both Mother and Grandmother of the Duchess of Cornwall suffered, and died, of osteoporosis. The Duchess is now President of the National Osteoporosis Society. Major Bruce Shand, father of the Duchess of Cornwall, also suffered from Cancer.
Ronald Ferguson, father of Duchess of York, suffered from Cancer (most sources say it was prostate cancer but Sarah has once stated it was skin Cancer).
Edward VII, George V, George VI all died as a result of smoking
Princess Margaret of the UK (Queen Elizabeth's sister) had cerebral thrombosis (stroke), which eventually became the reason of her death (smoking again).
King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz al-Saud suffered major stroke in 1995.
Emperor Friedrich III of Prussia (though he was Emperor of only 99 days) suffered and died of Cancer (he was a heavy smoker). His wife, Victoria Adelaide Mary, Princess Royal (eldest daughter of Queen Victoria) died of spine cancer
Prince Tomohito of Mikasa suffered from Cancer in 2003.
Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha (wife of Frederik, Prince of Wales and mother of George III of Great Britain) suffered and died of Cancer of the throat at the age of 52.
Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium suffered from lung Cancer
Queen Louisa of Prussia, suffered from stomach Cancer
Catherine of Aragon (first wife of Henry VIII) is said to have died of Cancer, as well as her daughter, Queen Mary I Tudor.

I think that Queen Margethe of Denmark had cancer in her uterus and had it remove for som years ago. I am glad that Queen Margrethe are so open about her illness and her operations with her knee and her back :flowers: :flowers:

Baudoin, King of the Belgians, died of a cardiac arrest on the 31th of july 1993. Albert II, King of the Belgians, had heart surgery in 2000 and a cataract operation in 2006. I think he had back surgery as well but I'm not sure. Maybe one of the other Belgian members can give more details ? I don't know that much about the Belgian royal family.

Infanta Elena's husband Jaime de Marichalar Duke of Lugo had a stroke.

Juan of Borbon and Battenberg, Count of Barcelona and father of King Juan Carlos of Spain died of cancer in 1993

Thanks for all the replies.
I figured that stroke and heart were a good possiblility and since so many of the royals support Cancer charities that would figure into family history. But am surprised that there are so many.
Someone suggested to me that Princess Diana's father also had a stroke.

Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein had a brain tumor, I believe.

The late Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, I believe, had a stroke several years before her death due to cancer.

Archduchess Regina of Austria-Hungary had a stroke earlier in the beginning of this year or the end of last year.

The late Princess Gina of Liechtenstein, mother of Prince Hans-Adam II, died in 1989 as a result of cancer.

Apart from cancer, King Harald V of Norway had surgery last year for a heart condition.

I am not entirely sure, but I believe that Duchess Diane of Wurttemburg had cancer. (I am only speculating because for a while she wore a scarf around her head.)

BCT88, that last line of yours reminds me of the time Princess Caroline lost all her hair and used to go around with a scarf. It was years ago and I'm not sure if it was stress related.
Anyone knows?

For everybody really interested in royal diseases I can highly recommend a book entitled " The death of Kings. A medical history of Kings and Queens of England" by Clifford Brewer.The author, a senior surgeon introduces his readers into the world of royal diseases from Edward Confessor to queen Victoria.
I really admired his meticulous analysis of symptoms and probable reasons of death.
One could think that the most probable place for a king to die (in the past of course) was a battlefield but according to Mr. Brewer kings and queens were dying p.ex because of something "usual' like kidney failure ( Charles II, Henry IV, VIII, Anne). In most of cases there was more than one letal reason.
So these who want to know what king died of perforation of rectum or simply because of senility should acquint with Mr Brewer's work.
PS. but to be honest I have to warn you that there's a lot of medical vocabulary to go through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom