Royal Marriage Proposals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maura724

Courtier
City
St. Louis
Country
United States
Does anyone know the proposal stories for any of the royal couples? :wub:

Apparently, When Charles proposed to Diana for the first few minutes she thought it was a joke!(But I don't know how true this is)

one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"

one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"

I love that story!

Apparently, When Charles proposed to Diana for the first few minutes she thought it was a joke!(But I don't know how true this is)

From what I've read, she just couldn't stop laughing and realized it was true and said 'Yes'.

Charles-Philippe d'Orleans took Diane de Cadaval to the foot of the pyramids late at night on the evening of her 29th birthday (July 29th) last year and proposed.

That guy really does things BIG!

King Baudouin proposed to Dona Fabiola de Mora y Aragon at the shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in France on July 8th 1960. They kept their engagement a secret until the public announcement at Ciergnan Castle in Sept of the same year.

Royal Proposals

According to historian, Stefane Groueff (crown of Thorns) , the way King Boris propsed to Q. Giovanna was very interesting. In 1927, two days after his first meeting with Q. Giovanna K. Boris's brother ( P. Kyril) asked Q. Giovanna's sister (P Maria) if Giovanna would marry his brother. According to the author K. Boris kept talking to P. Kyril about Giovanna all night long on their way back to the palace P giovanna's father provided for them . It's a strange way to propose to a lady. I thing K. Boris was shy.

I have a feeling that Frederik proposed to Mary in Rome, but I have no idea why I think that or where I read it, so could very easily be wrong.
Also seem to recall them saying that it was 'traditional'.

I love it! That was a unique marriage proposal!

I have a feeling that Frederik proposed to Mary in Rome, but I have no idea why I think that or where I read it, so could very easily be wrong.
Also seem to recall them saying that it was 'traditional'.

No no, it's true! Both Frederik and Mary confirmed that later! And Frederik said he did it the old-fashioned way with kneeling and asking her to marry him.:wub:

what about The Tsar Nicholas II The Queen the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York Prince Andrew?

As I recall W-A proposed to Maxima after he took her ice skating. She didn't realize that he had champagne and the ring waiting after the lesson.

what about The Tsar Nicholas II The Queen the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York Prince Andrew?
From what I've read about Nicholas' proposal to Alix, it was more of an ordeal than romantic. Nicholas spent a 2 or 3 days (after many years) in the 1894 wedding of Alix's brother Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse to their first cousin Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, trying to persuade Alix to marry him. There was quite a lot of tears shed while Alix had to choose between faith and love. It wasn't that she did not love or want to marry him. She did not want to give up her Lutheran religion and convert to Russian Orthodoxy. Eventually (with encouragement from her sister Grand Duchess Ella) she agreed and became a fervent convert, for better or for worse.

I wonder how they asked: Will you be my wife/princess/queen of the castle?!

I like juan carlos' way...that is romantic for me....what about the prince of asturias..how did he propose?

As I recall W-A proposed to Maxima after he took her ice skating. She didn't realize that he had champagne and the ring waiting after the lesson.

This is so sweet and down to earth! I have never before read about the proposal. I like that he did it in such a modern way.

I think that Sofia fell for King JC' s humour and vigorous temperament...

After Constantine II proposed to Anne-Marie and she told him not to tell her parents yet. When Constantine finally told King Frederik he intended to marry his youngest daughter, the king locked him in the toilet until he could find his wife and tell her the news!

Nobody mentioned royal women proposing to men. According to Margaret Homans (Royal Representations, page 234) and some other sources, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha could not to propose to Queen Victoria since she was a monarch (even speaking to a monarch without permission is considered rude, let alone proposing marriage), so Victoria had to propose to him. I wonder how that looked :rolleyes:

Also, could you please cite sources of your information about proposals (especially The King of Spain's and The King of the Hellenes' ways to propose)?

I've heard that the same rule was technically in force for Philip and Elizabeth but that it wasn't actually followed.

However, I've also read somewhere on these forums that Princess Christina of Sweden is the one who proposed to her husband, Tord Magnusson.

Well, Elizabeth was not a monarch when she was proposed to. Philip was still considered a Prince of Greece and Denmark when he asked King George VI for Elizabeth's hand in marriage in the summer of 1946, so they were equal and nothing prevented him from approaching Elizabeth once the King granted his request.

Yes, but I think there was still some sort of "she asks first" rule because she was heiress presumptive to a throne...I don't remember where I read that, though. Maybe Gyles Brandreth's book?

This is hilarious!

I am wondering if an average man did that, what the response would be? probably wont be good :D

This is hilarious!

I am wondering if an average man did that, what the response would be? probably wont be good :D

Well, I am an average woman and I wouldn't mind being proposed to like that!

As for King Frederick of Greece, what a funny way of accepting king Constantine's news....i can't imagine the scene where he was locked in the toilet

I couldn't stop laughing at the whole juan carlos and sofia thing. also the constantine getting locked in the toilet... too funny!!!!

i would be all about my man popping the question juan carlos style. it is cute and like i said - funny!!

Anyone know how Phillppe,Haakon,Prince Edward and Daniel proposed?

Back
Top Bottom