The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Royal Marriage Proposals

Does anyone know the proposal stories for any of the royal couples?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Commoner

Apparently, When Charles proposed to Diana for the first few minutes she thought it was a joke!(But I don't know how true this is)

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"

Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"
And did she catch it?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

I love that story!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosette minette View Post
Apparently, When Charles proposed to Diana for the first few minutes she thought it was a joke!(But I don't know how true this is)
From what I've read, she just couldn't stop laughing and realized it was true and said 'Yes'.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
From what I've read, she just couldn't stop laughing and realized it was true and said 'Yes'.
I hadnt heard that

According to norwegianne here and here:

Quote:
Joachim proposed this summer when they were on vacation in Turkey.
Quote:
Joachim asked Marie's grandmother, mother and father for permission to marry her.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles-Philippe d'Orleans took Diane de Cadaval to the foot of the pyramids late at night on the evening of her 29th birthday (July 29th) last year and proposed.

That guy really does things BIG!

King Baudouin proposed to Dona Fabiola de Mora y Aragon at the shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in France on July 8th 1960. They kept their engagement a secret until the public announcement at Ciergnan Castle in Sept of the same year.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Commoner

Royal Proposals

According to historian, Stefane Groueff (crown of Thorns) , the way King Boris propsed to Q. Giovanna was very interesting. In 1927, two days after his first meeting with Q. Giovanna K. Boris's brother ( P. Kyril) asked Q. Giovanna's sister (P Maria) if Giovanna would marry his brother. According to the author K. Boris kept talking to P. Kyril about Giovanna all night long on their way back to the palace P giovanna's father provided for them . It's a strange way to propose to a lady. I thing K. Boris was shy.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a feeling that Frederik proposed to Mary in Rome, but I have no idea why I think that or where I read it, so could very easily be wrong.
Also seem to recall them saying that it was 'traditional'.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I love it! That was a unique marriage proposal!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
I have a feeling that Frederik proposed to Mary in Rome, but I have no idea why I think that or where I read it, so could very easily be wrong.
Also seem to recall them saying that it was 'traditional'.
No no, it's true! Both Frederik and Mary confirmed that later! And Frederik said he did it the old-fashioned way with kneeling and asking her to marry him.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

what about The Tsar Nicholas II The Queen the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York Prince Andrew?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

As I recall W-A proposed to Maxima after he took her ice skating. She didn't realize that he had champagne and the ring waiting after the lesson.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
what about The Tsar Nicholas II The Queen the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York Prince Andrew?
From what I've read about Nicholas' proposal to Alix, it was more of an ordeal than romantic. Nicholas spent a 2 or 3 days (after many years) in the 1894 wedding of Alix's brother Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse to their first cousin Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, trying to persuade Alix to marry him. There was quite a lot of tears shed while Alix had to choose between faith and love. It wasn't that she did not love or want to marry him. She did not want to give up her Lutheran religion and convert to Russian Orthodoxy. Eventually (with encouragement from her sister Grand Duchess Ella) she agreed and became a fervent convert, for better or for worse.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder how they asked: Will you be my wife/princess/queen of the castle?!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Aristocracy

I like juan carlos' way...that is romantic for me....what about the prince of asturias..how did he propose?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
As I recall W-A proposed to Maxima after he took her ice skating. She didn't realize that he had champagne and the ring waiting after the lesson.
This is so sweet and down to earth! I have never before read about the proposal. I like that he did it in such a modern way.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Nobility

I think that Sofia fell for King JC' s humour and vigorous temperament...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Courtier

After Constantine II proposed to Anne-Marie and she told him not to tell her parents yet. When Constantine finally told King Frederik he intended to marry his youngest daughter, the king locked him in the toilet until he could find his wife and tell her the news!

His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?