The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Nobility

Nobody mentioned royal women proposing to men. According to Margaret Homans (Royal Representations, page 234) and some other sources, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha could not to propose to Queen Victoria since she was a monarch (even speaking to a monarch without permission is considered rude, let alone proposing marriage), so Victoria had to propose to him. I wonder how that looked

Also, could you please cite sources of your information about proposals (especially The King of Spain's and The King of the Hellenes' ways to propose)?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Courtier

I've heard that the same rule was technically in force for Philip and Elizabeth but that it wasn't actually followed.

However, I've also read somewhere on these forums that Princess Christina of Sweden is the one who proposed to her husband, Tord Magnusson.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Well, Elizabeth was not a monarch when she was proposed to. Philip was still considered a Prince of Greece and Denmark when he asked King George VI for Elizabeth's hand in marriage in the summer of 1946, so they were equal and nothing prevented him from approaching Elizabeth once the King granted his request.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Yes, but I think there was still some sort of "she asks first" rule because she was heiress presumptive to a throne...I don't remember where I read that, though. Maybe Gyles Brandreth's book?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post
one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"
This is hilarious!

I am wondering if an average man did that, what the response would be? probably wont be good
Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
This is hilarious!

I am wondering if an average man did that, what the response would be? probably wont be good

Well, I am an average woman and I wouldn't mind being proposed to like that!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Claire View Post
Well, I am an average woman and I wouldn't mind being proposed to like that!
sure, because you have been nurtured in the royal forums
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Aristocracy

As for King Frederick of Greece, what a funny way of accepting king Constantine's news....i can't imagine the scene where he was locked in the toilet
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Royal Highness

I couldn't stop laughing at the whole juan carlos and sofia thing. also the constantine getting locked in the toilet... too funny!!!!

i would be all about my man popping the question juan carlos style. it is cute and like i said - funny!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Anyone know how Phillppe,Haakon,Prince Edward and Daniel proposed?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Serene Highness

Daniel proposed in the castle garden IRC. He got on one knee and everything. He knew that Victoria wanted to be asked outdoors.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Here catch"
Oh that is so cute and sweet, I would love to be proposed to like that. None of that rose petals and stuff.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
From what I've read about Nicholas' proposal to Alix, it was more of an ordeal than romantic. Nicholas spent a 2 or 3 days (after many years) in the 1894 wedding of Alix's brother Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse to their first cousin Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, trying to persuade Alix to marry him. There was quite a lot of tears shed while Alix had to choose between faith and love. It wasn't that she did not love or want to marry him. She did not want to give up her Lutheran religion and convert to Russian Orthodoxy. Eventually (with encouragement from her sister Grand Duchess Ella) she agreed and became a fervent convert, for better or for worse.
I also remember reading that Kaiser Wilhelm II was very adamant about the marriage, and at one point basically thrust a bouquet of flowers into Nikolai's hands and pushed him towards the room where Alix was. i'm not sure if that actually occurred, but considering the personality of Wilhelm, I would not put that type of behavior past him.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I read somewhere that when Edward proposed to Sophie,her response was "Yes please".
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Courtier

I think rhat's what Disna said to Charles
Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

I thought about how I would react if I was asked to catch my engagement ring. It would probably depend on the mood I was in. I found this to be amusing when I read about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to say that catching an engagement ring tossed to you wouldn't be my ideal version of a proposal. I like W-A's method with Maxima much better!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel tell about the proposal at the official wedding book "Vårt bröllop".
On a sparkling winter's day at the lake, Victoria and Daniel are walking on Drottningholm castle estate. "Victoria did not know it," says Daniel, "But I had prepared the moment carefully." In his pocket he had a hand-written speech about their time together.
Victoria tells: "It was a lovely winter day on our walk. And then Daniel says: I would like to read something to you. And then you make a wonderful speech that you had written about our time together, our experiences and what we like to do, special dates and events. There I sat. And then you went to on your knee in the snow and proposed. And I said yes, yes, yes."
When she got up, she thought that the children and their parents, who were playing with sleds in the fresh snow on the ice does not have a clue. "If they only knew," said the Crown Princess. "It felt so special, it was just perfect. I just wanted to shout out what happened so that everyone could hear. My whole body was tingling of happiness."
Daniel tells: "Victoria had clearly told a few years before, that she didn´t want to be proposed in some swanky place abroad. She would like it to happen in Sweden and outdoors. I had clear directives on how it would go and then I had two options. There was a one place up in Ockelbo which we like very much, or at Drottningholm, along our favourite walk. It was a beautiful winter day at Drottningholm, with a sunny blue sky. The day was perfect. But then you had almost given up to that I would kneel down and propose the traditional way."
Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie said in the interview announcing their engagement that this was her reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I think rhat's what Disna said to Charles
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I love how Daniel proposed! So sweet!