Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he'll be going to St George's

Prep schools attendance usually begins at age 8 believe.

I would think James will attend Eton in few years or possibly gordonstoun like Edward did.

If James goes to Gordonstoun I would expect Louise to also go, as it's co-ed now.

Pre prep at St Georges goes from 3 to 7 so that might be.

St George's takes children from the age of 3 (Nursery) right through to 13.

He may be there already in pre-prep - dont know.

I would be amazed if Gordonstoun was chosen - I think these are parents who although they might sent their child to boarding school, it would be close to home. There are some good public schools for girls at Ascot which is nearby which take day and boarders.

Beatrice went to St George's at Ascot (different school to St George's Windsor) here is a link about that one. St. George's School, Ascot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both daughters of the Duke of Gloucester went there as well

The children of Princess Cristina of Spain attend a French school in Barcelona. They also attended a French school when they were in Washington D.C.

Why does Prince Emmanuel of Belgium attend a special school?

Why does Prince Emmanuel of Belgium attend a special school?

Afaik, the school is a special school for children with learning difficulties like dyslexia, dyscalcula etc. The children are at this school for 1 or 2 years before returning to a regular school. The exact learning difficulty that P.Emmanuel has to deal with is (afaik) not been disclosed (and i'm not so sure it should...coping with learning difficulties is often hard enough for a kid as it is...)

I don't think Edward will send his children to Gordonstoun, but more likely a school closer to home for their secondary education. I am not sure Sophie would want her children to be quite so far away. Zara and Peter both went to Gordonstoun didn't they? Only Andrew was not made a Prefect the school when he attended, whereas Philip, Charles and Edward all were. Edward was also elected as Head Boy in his final year. I think Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than Charles ever did. He didn't enjoy it apparently.

I would think James attends the same school as Louise (St George's School, Windsor), which is one of the oldest in England and it is the school who looks after the choir for St George's Chapel. Princess Eugenie also attended this school for a short period of time and then went to Marlborough College, a prestigious public school in England which the Duchess of Cambridge also attended. Princess Beatrice attended St George's School in Ascot (not the same one that Louise currently attends) for her secondary education. I would think Louise and James will attend Marlborough College or James may attend Eton like William and Harry.

I also wondered why Prince Emmanuel attended a special education school as well, thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:
I think Eaton is probably going to be James school. Gordonstoun is very old school, no pun intended.

Eaton is probably going to be James school. Gordonstoun is very old school, no pun intended.

Eton was founded in 1690

Gordonstoun was founded in 1934

but I think we agree!

I don't think I could of ever sent my 8 year old to boarding school. I remember I had trouble when he went to summer camp for a week. :ROFLMAO:
I guess I never understood sending the young children away from home for school, do a lot of people send their children away to school starting at the age of 8?:flowers:

The majority that do have either jobs that take them away - senior military, diplomatic etc and their wives go with them; or its traditional. You need £££ to do it so not all that many do.

All Royal and most upper class boys go at 8 but girls don't go until 13,I believe. I think it's so ingrained in the moneyed/titled classes it is not really an issue. and *most* kids adapt well enough and make lifelong friendships from what I have read.

All Royal and most upper class boys go at 8 but girls don't go until 13,I believe. I think it's so ingrained in the moneyed/titled classes it is not really an issue. and *most* kids adapt well enough and make lifelong friendships from what I have read.

Not true about girls. For example, Catherine went to St andrews School (the one she visited and played hockey in heels, just before she got sick). That school takes boarders of both sexes from 5 or 6. PArents who live away or work away and who want their children educated in the UK do this.

In Catherine's case, she became a part-time boarder - 3 or 4 days a week. Don't know how old she was, and my assumption is it was when her parents were building the business.

This type of education system is there to suit all types of situations - you just need to be able to pay for it.

oops my mistake - thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Edward will send his children to Gordonstoun, but more likely a school closer to home for their secondary education. I am not sure Sophie would want her children to be quite so far away. Zara and Peter both went to Gordonstoun didn't they? Only Andrew was not made a Prefect the school when he attended, whereas Philip, Charles and Edward all were. Edward was also elected as Head Boy in his final year. I think Andrew and Edward got on better at the school than Charles ever did. He didn't enjoy it apparently.

That's correct, they both went to Gourdonstoun. :flowers:

I also think Louise and James won't go there; I think Louise (and possibly James) will attend a day school that's near to them. It's possible that James could attend another boarding school- like others here I'm thinking that he could go to Eton and Sunningdale (I'm not sure if it's primary and secondary; I think it's just primary) sprung to my mind.

So is Lady Louise a boarder at St. George?

The children of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece are also attended or have attended Garden House in London. And Olympia, their eldest daughter just graduated from Queen's Gate in South Kensington.

Apologies for not getting back to your question in time (I see it's already been answered). :)

I didn't know that Marie-Chantal and Pavlos's children are attending Garden House as well. I wonder if Margarita has met them. I remember reading somewhere that the Duchess of Cornwall used to go to Queen's Gate like Maria Olympia.

Last edited:
Prince Albert Victor (Duke of Clarence) He attended Trinity College in Cambridge, England.

Wilhelm II of Germany As a teenager he was educated at Kassel at the Friedrichsgymnasium. After Kassel he spent four terms at the University of Bonn. He studied law and politics.

In 1910 Prince Henry, the third son of King George V and Queen Mary of England, went to St. Peter's preparatory school, Broadstairs. Then Henry went on to Eton.

Queen Elizabeth I of England, as Princess Elizabeth, received an education that made her fluent in Greek, Latin, French, and Italian. Her Greek and Latin tutor, Roger Aschan, liked her beautiful handwriting and her musical skills.

Isabel, the Princess Imperial of Brazil, and her sister, Princess Leopoldina, were in class six days per week. Their subjects included Portuguese and French literature, astronomy, chemistry, the history of Portugal, England and France, drawing, and piano. Additional subjects included dancing, political economy, geography, geology, and the history of philosophy.
The Grand Duchess Anna Pavlovna (1795-1865), the daughter of Paul I of Russia, learned French, German, and Russian. She had music lessons. Also she had lessons in mathematics and natural sciences.
She married the future King William II of The Netherlands.
In academic work Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, in 1964 passed English Literature, English Language, History, Latin, and French at the General Certificate of Education's Ordinary Level.
Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, attended Hill House, a school in Hans Place in the Knightsbridge district of London.
Charles's penmanship was "good, firm, clear, well-formed".

In the summer of 1956 a young Frenchwoman named Bibiane was hired to tutor Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales in French at the royal summer home, Balmoral Castle.
Prince Ranier of Monaco graduated from Le Rosoy School in Switzerland in the summer of 1939. He arrived at Montpellier University at the end of August 1939 to begin his university studies. He enrolled in a general course of education with an emphasis on French history.
As a boy, King Albert I of the Belgians studied engineering.
He was especially interested in ships and airplanes.
Francis Joseph II (Franz Josef II) of Liechtenstein studied engineering at the Forestry and Agricultural University in Vienna, Austria.
Hereditary Prince Boris of Montenegro is a graduate of the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Decoratif and is a typographic designer.

Simeon II of Bulgaria attended the Valley Forge Military Academy in the United States.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg's secondary education was in Luxembourg and France.
In 1974 Henri gained his baccalaureate.

Maximilian Maria (1862-1885) was the seventh Prince of Thurn and Taxis.
He received his education from Baron Carl von Geyr-Schleppenburg.
Maximilian Maria was given private lessons. Beginning in 1880, he studied philosophy, law, and economics at the Universities of Bonn, Strasbourg, and Gottingen.
Ludwig II of Bavaria made sufficient progress in French and history to please his tutors.
He also excelled at Ancient Greek translation.
He showed a strong talent for mathematics.

Henry of Bolingbroke (King Henry IV of England) was proficient in Latin, French, and English.
For preference, he spoke Norman-French, the traditional language of the English court.
King Henry V of England was literate in English, French, Latin, and Welsh.
He enjoyed books on history, theology, and hunting.
Henry enjoyed the works of Chaucer, Hoccleve, and Lydgate.
Princess Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, the future Queen Consort of King Pedro V of Portugal, received private piano instruction with Clara Schumann.
As a small boy the future George IV of England and his brother Prince Frederick were educated in the classics, modern languages, and mathematics.
The Princes received instruction in music, fencing, and boxing.
In 1427 King Henry VI of England's first master was appointed. He was a monk named John Somerset.
John Somerset taught Henry French and English.
Many books were bought for Henry. These included Bede's History of the English Church and a work entitled On the Rule of Princes.
The future King Christian VII of Denmark was six years old when he was given his own household.
Christian was taught mathematics and theology by his strict tutor, Count Dietlev Reventlow.

Isabel, the Princess Imperial of Brazil, and her sister, Princess Leopoldina, were in class six days per week. Their subjects included Portuguese and French literature, astronomy, chemistry, the history of Portugal, England and France, drawing, and piano. Additional subjects included dancing, political economy, geography, geology, and the history of philosophy.

That's a lot of school for two girls. When do they relax and play?

It's very interesting reading about the different schools that royals attend. I'm just curious, has any modern royal attended a non-private school or attended a school where just regular kids attended.

Sure. The Dutch royals and the current children and I know the Scandinavian royal children do.

Royals that attended Royal military Academy Sandhurst.

Commonwealth realms
Prince William, Prince Harry, Prince Michael, Prince Edward, Prince henry, Prince Arthur, Prince Francis, Prince Christian.

Bahrain
Sheikh Hamad bin Essa Al-Khalifa, former King of Bahrain, Sheikh Nasser bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al-Khalifa,Sheikh Mohammed bin Salman Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Mohammad bin Khalifa bin Hamad Al-Khalifa.Sheikh Khalifa bin Ahmad Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Khalifa, Sheikh Khalifa bin Rashid Al-Khalifa,Sheikh Salman bin Mohammed Al-Khalifa,Sheikh Abdullah bin Salman bin Khalid Al-Khalifa.

Uae
Sheikh Hamdan, Sheikh Majid, Sheikh Mansoor, Sheikh Rashid, Sheikh Mohammed

James Ogilvy of England had lessons in the schoolroom at Buckingham Palace under the tutelage of Lavinia Keppel.
He went on to Gibbs Preparatory School and to Heatherdown, also a prep school.
James attended Eton College.

Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon Parma, Princess Irene of The Netherlands' daughter, studied political science at the University of Amsterdam and at Harvard University.

James was in a class with Prince Edward, Sarah Armstrong-Jones, and the Earl of St Andrews - all born in 1964 while David Linley and Prince Andrew had had other friends in the classroom until all of them were old enough to go to boarding school.

The Duchess of Cambridge is the first future Queen of England with a university degree and to have attended a state school (before moving to St Andrew’s prep school in Pangbourne, aged eight, she attended Bradfield Church of England Primary School)

Last edited:
I don't think I could of ever sent my 8 year old to boarding school. I remember I had trouble when he went to summer camp for a week. :ROFLMAO:
I guess I never understood sending the young children away from home for school, do a lot of people send their children away to school starting at the age of 8?:flowers:

I agree with you! I could not bear to send her to a boarding school! are you kidding me? I wanted so much to have a child not way I could send her away in boarding school! and she never had a babysitter or nanny, ! my daughter is 12 now she had never had a sleep over, in any other house, only when we travel , hotels, and we stay at my brothers place she sleep somewhere else that it is not our home, but we stay all at the same place! this year she had to go to skating training to other state and I have to work it was the first time we were separated but she went with my husband, her father, and yes we were I facetime a lot and when she came back she spent a week hugging me and kissing me!
I don't know what I will do when she is 18 and decide to leave the nest!!!!! :whistling::sad::sad::sad::sad:

In 1982, Prince Kyril of Bulgaria, the second son of King Simeon II, passed his Baccalaureate exams and honors in mathematics. He then opted to study Theoretical and Quantum Physics at Princeton University.

Emmanuel, the Comte de Las Cases, the secretary of Napoleon I, gave English lessons to Napoleon.
These were not successful.
A fragment of his attempt at the language has survived:
'Count Las Casses, Since sixt wek, y Learnt the english and y do not any progress.'

Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark, daughter of Constantine II, attended Brown University under the name Theodora Greece.

In King Charles III, Anthony Holden wrote:

Edward VIII, in fact, seemed in later life to consider education a positive disadvantage for a prince.
At least Oxford taught him something of his fellow-men. 'All the time,' according to Warren's report, 'he was learning more and more every day of men, gauging character, watching its play, getting to know what Englishmen are like, both individually and in the mass . . .'

King Alfred of Wessex learned Latin at the age of 38 to translate Cura Pastoralis (Pastoral Care or Rule) by Pope Gregory the Great.
Alfred sent a copy of his translation with an exquisite aestel (bookmark) to every bishop in the Kingdom of Wessex.

In 1883 Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence was sent to complete his education at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was excused exams and left Cambridge in 1885. How is it possible that Prince Eddy could be excused from taking exams?

Back
Top Bottom