Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little incident called WWII might have had some influence. Off hand I can't think of any monarch of monarch in training that was either had a college degree or attending college.

Actually King Frederik IX of Denmark attended university during WWI and Prince Rainier III of Monaco went to university in France during WWII. So I don't think the war was the only reason, could be it just wasn't expected of a princess...

I wonder why Elizabeth II never went to college.She was expected to be queen from an early age and, maybe some people thought it was a good idea for her to go.

Other members have, quite rightly, mentioned the 2WW and the effect that this had on The Queen's education [ditto Princess Margaret]. But as always, we have to put things in context. Extraordinary as it might sound to us in the 21st Century, until the late 1950's the 'classic' education for an upper class /aristocratic young lady was very often provided at home with a governess. Some of these ladies were effective educators, others were not so good and some were very poor teachers indeed. Subjects studied tended to be English, History, Art, Geography, French and sometimes German [languages were often taught well, particularly if the governess was French or German] and arithmetic [not mathematics!!]. 'Science' was often limited to what we might call 'nature study'. Music was a necessary 'accomplishment' and instruction was sometimes provided by a visiting 'music master'. Visits to dance classes when young provided the young gel with necessary social skills.

Some young ladies were in fact sent to boarding schools instead of remaining at home for their education. Many of these schools were academically undemanding...and the girls tended to leave at 15 or 16 years old without taking any examinations.

When 15 or 16 years old, finishing school was the order of the day. This usually involved spending a year or so abroad in Switzerland or France[Paris]. The 'typical' finishing school curriculum usually consisted of French, [often the entire school curriculum was taught through the medium of French] Flower Arranging, Etiquette, Art Appreciation, cookery [sometimes]. During the winter term, there students used to ski every day. It wasn't usually academically challenging, but at least many young ladies of a certain class ended up pretty well fluent in French.

The most exclusive Finishing School in Paris was Madamoiselle Anita's. Princess Alexandra went there for nearly a year.

Finishing schools also existed in England and were the choice of nervous parents who feared that there were 'dangers' [further explanation probably not necessary!!!] in exposing their daughters to the charms of the continent! These often included typing in the curriculum [very useful for voluntary charity work later in life] as well as flower arranging and cookery. One such [famous] school was London's 'Monkey Club'. I do not think that there are any finishing schools left in the UK now, but they certainly existed up to the early 1980's and included Winkfield Place, [near Ascot] Evendine Court [Worcestershire], Eggleston Hall [County Durham] Paddock Wood [Kent]. Some of the smarter private London Secretarial Colleges had elements of finishing schools: Lucie Clayton, Queen's Secretarial College [Where Fergie went, and also Margaret Rhodes, niece of the Queen Mother.

The Queen's education was therefore quite typical for gels of her class at that time.

Even Lady Diana Spencer - although she was sent away to boarding school at an early age - was never put under any academic pressure whatsoever and indeed failed her O Levels twice. [ stage 1 of university qualification exams basically]. This was during the 1970's - hardly Victorian times!

What I have described above is fairly typical, but there are exceptions to every rule. A few girls, often with strong personalities, good brains and enlightened parents, did rather better: there were several very academic boarding schools in England, where some very aristocratic girls took their education seriously and even qualified for university.

I hope this helps understand why the Queen was not as much as an exception as she might at first appear.

Alex

Last edited:
I remember reading in Lacey's book, that Princess Elizabeth had lessons in the Constitution (because she was the next in line after her father), and that she was a very diligent student. The book used for her lessons is displayed at Eton College, with all her annotations in the margins. I thought that was a very interesting bit of information.

I wonder why Elizabeth II never went to collage.She was expected to be queen from an early age and,maybe some people thought it was a good idea for her to go.
I remember reading a biography of either the Queen or the Queen Mother. The author said that the Queen Mother was primarily responsible for the educational path of the Queen and Princess Margaret. The Queen Mother had been educated at home and she felt that this all the princesses needed. The Prime Minister was the one who insisted that the Queen be given instruction on the constitution. I really wish I could remember the name of the book and the author.

Very interesting Diarist. In the 1950's most women regardless of their social standing generally didn't go to college or if they did it was for a traditonal career (nursing, teaching) or a finishing school to help them polish their social skills. It was generally accepted that they would marry young and have children. Most women, royal or non-royal more or less took this path. Of course as you said Diarist there were a few exceptions to this. I imagine for those women who wanted to go to college and couldn't for whatever reason, living in this era would have been very frustrating for them.

Queen Elizabeth was one of the few female heirs to the throne so her situation was different than most royal women of that time period. One would expect any heir to the throne to be educated (one doesn't have to go to college or graduate from college to be educated). I've known people who didn't go to college who were more educated than people who did.

The key is the teacher or teachers that the persons has. If you have good teachers, then you are more like to be a well educated person. Queen Elizabeth was heir to the throne and good teachers were available to her as they would be to any heir to the throne. I would consider Queen Elizabeth to be a well educated person.

Does anyone know how Princess Margaret did in school?Was she a good student?

Princess Margaret was taught entirely at home by governesses. She was reputedly excellent at music [and indeed most biographies mention she was an accomplished piano player] and reasonably good at French. Her education ceased when she was 17. She did not study Consitutional Law or History in the same was as her sister Elizabeth did - the latter was taught by a Master from Eton. Anecdotally, I have heard that Margaret frequently expressed regret that her education had been limited, and she also reputedly said that she was sad that she did not go to university.

Last edited:
Thank you for that info.It's sad that she did'nt go to college.I wonder what she would study.

I believe the Countess of St Andrews lectures at Cambridge.

The Emperor of Japan has published his research into Ichthyology, the study of certain types of fish.

Prince Philippe of Belgium was criticised for spending too much time studying at some point, too.

I know that wasn't exactly what you asked for, just a small contribution.

The Countess of Ulster is a physician, she goes by the name Dr Claire Booth while working though.

Nikolaus Prince Lobkowicz was president of both the Munich and the Eichstaett univeristies. He is professor since 1960 and today works as director of the Institute for Middle- and East-Europe Studies.

Does anyone how good Princess Madeleine did in school?

where do the currant royal children go to school?

Boarding schools,Exclusive private schools Or just very nice regular schools? I read here somewhere Princess Elisabeth of Belgium attends a very, very swanky school indeed.

Boarding schools,Exclusive private schools Or just very nice regular schools? I read here somewhere Princess Elisabeth of Belgium attends a very, very swanky school indeed.

I know a few and would love to discuss, but maybe the moderators can advice on whether this type of information is appropriate to share or not. Some royal houses openly disclose the information but others would like to keep them as private as possible for security reasons. What has been widely disclosed is that Prince Christian and Princess Isabella of Denmark attend the Tranegård Public School in Hellerup.

Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix of Denmark attend the private school, Krebs' Skole, on Østerbro in Copenhagen, the same school Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim went to.

Their cousins, Prince Christian and Princess Isabella attend the public school, Tranegårdsskolen, in Gentofte.

Last edited:
I do know prince Hisahito of Japan attends Ochanomizu University elementary-the first of the imperial family not to attend exclusive Gakushuin school, the school of the aristocracy.

The children of dutch King Willem-Alexander go to a regular school (not necessarily the poshest regular school, but a good school near where they live)

Belgium
Princesses Elisabeth and Eleonore and Prince Gabriel attend a public school but quite good called Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege in Marolles, Brussels. Prince Emmanuel attends Eureka special school in Kessel-lo.

Dutch
Princesses Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane go to the Public Primary School Bloemcampschool in Wassenaar.

Morocco
Crown Prince Moulay Hassan and Princess Lalla Khadija attend the prestigious College Royale at the Royal Palace.

Norway
Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Sverre Magnus attend the public school Jansløkka in Asker, close to the Crown Prince family's residence Skaugum.

Spain
Infantas Leonor and Sofia attend private school Santa María de los Rosales School in Aravaca. Their father, the Prince of Asturias is an alumnus of the school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharina-Amalia,_Princess_of_Orange#cite_note-school-6

In Britain, Lady Louise attends St George's School in Windsor Castle. I imagine that Viscount Severn will also attend. Her second cousin, Margarita Armstrong-Jones, attends Garden House in Kensington. If I'm correct, Margarita is of the age where children leave primary school, so she probably doesn't attend any more. I've read that Lady Sarah Chatto's sons, Samuel and Arthur, are attending Eton College in Berkshire, although I'm not sure if that's accurate. St George's and Garden House are both private/preparatory schools. In the UK, most people call Eton College a public school (in England, public schools are schools that are usually one of the top schools in the country. Most of the public schools are fairly well known and pupils usually board there).

In Belgium, (I've read that) Princess Louise, Prince Nicolas and Prince Aymeric attend the Lycee Francais de Bruxelles, a French school in Brussels. I also remember reading that Princess Astrid's daughters used to attend Sevenoaks School in Kent. I think the Lycee Francais de Bruxelles is a public school, although I'm not sure. Sevenoaks is a private/public boarding school.

I would imagine that the Behn sisters attend school in London since they live there.

Last edited:
In Britain, Lady Louise attends St George's School in Windsor Castle. I imagine that Viscount Severn will also attend. Her second cousin, Margarita Armstrong-Jones, attends Garden House in Kensington.\

So is Lady Louise a boarder at St. George?

The children of Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece are also attended or have attended Garden House in London. And Olympia, their eldest daughter just graduated from Queen's Gate in South Kensington.

Lady Louise is not a boarder at St George's

Thanks Cepe, I thought it was odd. Excuse, my ignorance (I don't follow closely the British Royal Family) but where do her family and she reside? In Windsor? I was just wondering what kind of "commute" she has.

I would think James will attend Eton in few years or possibly gordonstoun like Edward did.

Thanks Cepe, I thought it was odd. Excuse, my ignorance (I don't follow closely the British Royal Family) but where do her family and she reside? In Windsor? I was just wondering what kind of "commute" she has.

They live in Bagshot, I should think the drive would take about 15/20 minutes through Windsor Great Park.

I would think James will attend Eton in few years or possibly gordonstoun like Edward did.

Starting age for Eton is 13. He would attend a prep school first.

yes, a suitable prep school then one of the public schools. i don't know why but I have a feeling Louise won't go to a boarding school.

They live in Bagshot, I should think the drive would take about 15/20 minutes through Windsor Great Park.

Thanks for the info! I thought they lived in London...! Though I'm sure they have a London base, too. I think they are both very cute children and I'm glad they can have a relatively normal childhood.

:)

Starting age for Eton is 13. He would attend a prep school first.

I thought that James already started school. He's going to be six in December, so I'd venture he's done with the English equivalent of kindergarten, and will move on to grade one in September?

Back
Top Bottom