Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thailand's Princess Sirindhorn is a history professor at the Royal Military Academy

Royals without university final degree

Are there any royals (born as royal or married in royalty), who have no university final degree?

HM Queen Elizabeth II springs to mind, along with many others whose University 'days' were forfeited by the outbreak of the Second World War.

^^^ lol.

Did Queen Beatrix not attend college? I didn't see her on the list

---

Also, I don't know if CP Frederick actually got a diploma either.

I do not think CP Frederik was ever an OFFICIAL student at Harvard University. If CP Frederik did any of the work he could have got course credit at least - as a international visiting student.

I do not think CP Frederik was ever an OFFICIAL student at Harvard University. If CP Frederik did any of the work he could have got course credit at least - as a international visiting student.

Frederik was an official student at Harvard, he was there for a year as part of a study abroad program. His actual degree is from Aarhus University in Denmark.

The other royals who have studied in the US and were left off the VF story are CP Haakon who studied at Berkley and graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Policial Science. He got his Masters from the London School of Economics in Development Studies.

Probably the most academic is Prince Philippe of Belgian, he graduated with a Master's Degree in Politicial Science from Standford and his Bachelor's Degree is from Trinity College in Oxford.

Queen (then Princess Beatrix) never studied in the US, she did attend a variety of universities but did not complete a degree, same with Queen Margrethe.

CP Victoria of Sweden spent 3 months at Yale and last year was able to cobble together all the bits and pieces of studies she's done at various institutions to receive a degree. If she hadn't she would have been the only heir without an university degree.

Princess Carloine of Monaco attended Princeton University in New Jersey.
And her brother Prince Albert II of Monaco attended Amherst University
in Massachussetss.
Didn't Princess Caroline go to La Sorbonne and studied philosophy too?

Didn't Princess Caroline go to La Sorbonne and studied philosophy too?

For Next Star, Princess Caroline did not attend at Princeton University in New Jeresy.

For Nathalie, Yes, Princess Caroline attened at Sorbonne University in Paris, France and stuided philosphy and child psychology.

Re : Boarding schools of the royals

I belive Empress Michiko went to Kenwood Academy of the Sacred Heart in Albany, NY
Also Empress Michiko attended Futaba Elementary School in Tokyo, but was obliged to leave during the fourth grade because of the American bombing during the World War 2. After that she earned a bachelor of arts in Japanese literature from the Faculty of Literature at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo in 1957.

She also received an education at Harvard University in the United States and the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom, which helped her become fluent in English.

http://www.fukuokafutaba.ed.jp/english/elem/e-main.htm

Attending boarding school with the royals are simply amazing - Nerte Vonn (1960)

Education for a future king or queen

As a future king or queen, what education they should have. I can sure it is different with QEII's education.

Do you mean education from a school/college/university?
Or education in life lessons eg: How to be a good King 101.

Well there is no book How To be a good King/Queen 101.
Heirs to the throne learn from their parents, they move with the times, for instance in this day an age you don't want a King/Queen like we had during the war do we?

Imo...

A langauge. Two (including their native tongue) or more.
First hand charity work involvement.
Cultural awareness through whatever means be it study, life experiences or both.
Political science.
International relations.
Constitutional studies.

Again, purely my opinion.

IMO the best education for a future kng or queen is life experience, meeting as many people as possible, learning as much as possible about their country and others, being politically astute, an understanding of economics, sociology, history, the constitution, and all this whilst being fully aware of their position and carrying out their duties in a manner and style that befits someone of that station. From that, they can then develope over time their own way of reigning and introduce their own traditions whilst maintaining the traditions already in place. They should also learn to be friendly, chatty and sociable in a natural and gracious way and without being overly jokey. Gosh, it can't be easy being a king or queen!!!!!

nice topic

Imo...

A langauge. Two (including their native tongue) or more.
First hand charity work involvement.
Cultural awareness through whatever means be it study, life experiences or both.
Political science.
International relations.
Constitutional studies.

Again, purely my opinion.

I fully agree.I also agree with Jacknch who said that meeting as many people as possible is something of major importance.

I would like to add something else,no offence to anyone here or general but i think that a future King/Queen should excel in studies concerning Law,Economics,Administration and of course International Relations and Political Science as Madame Royale said.
I am seriously sicked and tired of royals who study Art History,Theatre and Philosophy.I am not implying that studies concerning Art History and Theatre are not important (well,you know what i mean) but it is a terrible cliché.Again no offence to anyone but i'd love to see a worldwide known Economist/Engineer among the Royal community.We are full of Princes and Princesses that attended the very best private boarding schools worldwide,then went abroad to study -deep breath- ''history-music-languages-litterature-public relations-art-media-and many other subjects-'' in four years,or started something and then quitted after the first or second year.Many of them went for an Internship somewhere and they were done with studies.Attending a prestigious private high school means nothing to me.They should equally compete with the others and get degrees that justify a serious higher education.

A royal heir to the throne if they go to college should complete their studies. It's preferable that he or she have a college degree these days. You don't have to go to college to be a good monarch (Queen Elizabeth II didn't but had a good formal education and was prepared when she became Queen because she was prepared for it most of her life), but it helps.

Many royals live in their own world and it's very different from most people's lives. It would be good if they did volunteer work and mingled with the common folk. They would get a much better idea of what life is for the common person. People admire a royal who steps outside their box and goes to an area that is not in their comfort zone. A King or Queen whose likes people and is comfortable with anyone regardless of their social or political standing is an asset.

Crown Prince Haakon attended the University of California, Berkely and graduated with a degree in political science. He did a Masters at LSE.
King Harald studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford but I don't know if he got a degree.
Crown Princess Victoria got her degree last year, from Uppsala University I think?

King Carl Gustav doesn't have one either, although he did officer training which must have taken a few years after school and studied for a time at university. He became King at 27 so maybe he never got time to complete a degree?

Former Princess Alexandra of Denmark, now Alexandra Countess of Frederiksborg :)

Until the current generation, it seems to have been uncommon for royals to earn degrees. Some took courses at the college level, IIRC, but I don't think any of the current monarchs has an diploma. I believe all of the current heirs have one, though many took a somewhat meandering route to get it- Victoria for example only officially earned her degree in the last year, and Frederik was also in his 30s when he got his.

Until the current generation, it seems to have been uncommon for royals to earn degrees. Some took courses at the college level, IIRC, but I don't think any of the current monarchs has an diploma.

I know King Harald graduated from the Military Academy in 1959 - is this considered a college degree in Norway? In the U.S. all our military schools (Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, West Point) are universities that grant college degrees.

Mette -Marrit doesn't have any degree

Former Princess Alexandra of Denmark, now Alexandra Countess of Frederiksborg :)
I thoguht Alexandra did, she was mastering a feew languages too before marrieng Joahim

Prince Harry is the only one of the eligible grandchildren of the Queen who doesn't. Beatrice should have hers next year and Eugenie has started her second year. Neither Andrew or Anne have degrees but Charles and Edward both do have degrees.

Last edited:
I thoguht Alexandra did, she was mastering a feew languages too before marrieng Joahim

Mastering languages doesn't mean that you have a degree. While the degrees of Mary and Marie are mentioned in their official CV, there is nothing mentioned in the CV of Alexandra.

After having finalised general schooling, the Countess studied at Wirtschaftsuniversitat in Vienna from 1983-1984.
In the years 1984-1986, the Countess was a student in Tokyo.
In 1989-1990, the Countess studied in London.
Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg

Back
Top Bottom